Name Brand Clothing

Well, I have been buying my own clothes for about four years now, so I do not wear expensive clothing at all. It's simply stupid. I would much rather own a car or even better a house in the future. I am the most frugal person that I know, and my friends are totally fine for it. I still pay for the movies and stuff, but I will never spend more than $20 dollars for a pair of shoes or $15 dollars for a pair of shorts.. I wear shorts 365 days a year, so I do not own a pair of long pants. (well, I own ONE PAIR when ever I have to wear a suit or look nice for a big dinner or something). I only have to dress up about 4 times a year, so for me owning pants is irrelevant; in fact I'm majoring in Secondary Education, but one of my concentrations is PE, so while most teachers "have" to wear pants, I will not be looked down upon for wearing kakhi shorts.

Also, I am in a scholarship Program in West Virginia that always gives us a TON of T-shirts and I always get shirts for xmas and my bday so I really never have to spend money on that.

For those of you who think First apperances are important, you're absoultely correct. However, I do not think people should be judged on what they wear as long as they are not "disturbing the peace". Example: Dressing like a KKK member is a big problem, whereas wearing shorts or even a suit every day should not be.

Sorry for such a long post. This is definitly been one of the largest issues I've ever had to deal with in life.

I think above all, I shop more by how much I like the said article of clothing than its brand. The further curbed by the fact that I'm particularly stingy when it comes to spending money on myself and that I just don't go shopping for clothes very much when compared to other girls my age. (I mean, I probably go to the mall more just to putz around and hang out at the arcade.) The main reason I own a fair amount of brand name/high end stuff is because of my mother's doing. Every time I come home from college for breaks, there's always a "Oh, saw this at the outlet mall and got it for you" sort of conversation between me and her. Not that she has bad taste or anything... she usually gets me stuff that I like.

I will say, though, that one brand I particularly like is GAP. Their stuff tends to be comfortable, monochrome and simple (I don't like clothing with too many colors or patterns on it), cheap when on sale, and fits me the best (size-wise). Old Navy's not quite my taste (and I find that their stuff, for some reason, tends to be of slightly worse quality than GAP), and Banana Republic tends to be too expensive most of the time. When it comes to the clothes that I buy, I generally refuse to pay more than $15 for one thing- if it's more than $12, I have to contemplate about it for a while before making up my mind.

Taste-wise... I'm really the kind of person that just wears whatever suits my mood at the moment. Some days I like khakis and a form-fitting button-up, on others, I go with my charcoal gray skirt that has buckles all over it with a corset. And then there are days where I just throw on a baggy t-shirt and jeans, and days where I'm randomly in the mood for a casual dress. (Though I generally have a weakness for anything that's red, white, or above all, black.) I would say the only thing I really oppose to wearing is anything too complicated, the colors yellow and orange, and anything whorish/slutty/tasteless.

And yeah, I agree with DM on never having a second chance to make a first impression. Sure, we'd like to all agree that judging people based on what they're wearing is shallow, but it's human nature and we all do it to some degree or another. I think wearing occasion-appropriate clothing is important, but you also have to be careful about being too self-conscious when you don't really have to be.

I wear no-brand shirts most of the time, just because I don't like to have the Logo like right across my chest or on my legs or where ever it would be. As long as it's not light/bright colors or multi-colored and it fits i would wear it, and it should also be baggy just because thats how I like most of my clothes. For me casual is a pair of jeans/shorts and a black t-shirt with some sneakers.

When I was in 6th grade, I used to hang out with the "wrong" people because I would have to be wearing certain clothing to hang out with them and stuff, but now that I'm in the 10th grade I wear what I want to. Simply because it's My body. My money. My clothes and My style.

I firmly believe that comfort is more important than appearance in many situations. Looking in my closet, most (if not all) of my t-shirts come from Pac Sun, and only from the sale rack. I'd rather shell out 25 bucks for two kickass t-shirts rather than one kickass t-shirt for 21 bucks. In fact, I was there yesterday, and since I had twenty bucks in my pocket I decided to treat myself to some new clothes, but my brother refused to give me an extra five to pay for them because the shirts looked "ghetto." They were going to shrink in the washer, anyway.
Looking in my drawer now, I don't seem to carry many jeans or shorts with a brand name stuck on them. A couple of weeks ago, I found a pair of shorts at Kohl's that looked EXACTLY like the ones at Abercrombie, but only cost 15 bucks. Couldn't pass up on that, so I bought two pairs of shorts and wear them twice a week now.
In job interviews and the like, appearance is very important. When I go to church on Sundays, I wear a nice, buttoned-up short sleeve shirt, slacks, and nice shoes while my friends stayed casual. But when I was at my Confirmation, most of my friends came in the stuff I usually wore to mass, yet here I come wearing an expensive suit (I was the only one with a suit up there).

But, yeah... shelling out shitloads of cash for the brand name is nearly idiotic. It doesn't hurt to treat yourself once in a while, though. =D

because clothing is the only way we can tell how people are without actually talking to them

humans are afraid of change, and have a need to categorize things.

if someone thinks wearing a particular shirt helps define them as a person then by all means they should wear it!

and pay $150 for it!

i wear either band shirts or plain op shop clothes with jeans pretty much permanently...i used to wear brand name clothes when i was 14 because all the cool kids did but have kinda grown out of it though. i can understand why people would wear tommy hilfiger or whatever if it means they get with hot girls but its not worth it if your actually going to have to go out with the superficial bitch, no matter how hot!

Wal-Mart = my clothing store of choice. Overshirts (as I call them), awesome jeans and jean shorts (got long jeans with a catfish on the right side and jean shorts with a sickass Chinese dragon on the same side), amazing belts, and above all; I found 100% SILK ties on sale for $5 CDN. $5!!!!!! And I bought 5 of the beauties. Still cheaper than any nice tie at brand name stores. And these ain't no crappy pieces of junk: they match perfectly with my overshirts and give a nice contrast of lifestyles when viewed with my chain. They have also garnered quite a few compliments, and girls are actually checking me out now. Moral: Don't tell me the best stuff is the most expensive. My ties object. Look, and you shall find. Ask, and ye shall recieve.

I've never bought branded/expensive clothing, as it just annoys me that I would be paying lots more for the same quality shit. I buy decent quality unbranded/middle priced stuff for much fucking cheaper and nobody seems to care.

I have noticed that one of the biggest divisive factors in friendship seems to be the clothing one chooses to wear. Some people think you must wear expensive name brand clothing, such as Abercrombie or Polo, to be considered "good" enough to associate with them. Conversely, some people hate you for spending extra money on such clothing.

Basically I present two questions in this topic-
1. Are clothes really that important?
2. Why can't people look past what someone is wearing before they stereotype and judge them?
A first impression is caused by what you LOOK like. They can't judge who you are inside just by looking at you. When they get to know you, then they see what you really are. Other than that, clothing comes first. I wear American Eagle, Abercrombie....Pole and such...and they make quite a decent impression about me.

Eh... I feel you won't see most strangers again, so does it matter? When your with your friends, I feel it's best just to lose the the impression attitude and just have fun.

But then again, you work and I don't... At work, clothing is definitely more strict, you don't want to insult anyone or give your boss a bad impression of you.
okay if you don't care about what strangers think, do you walk around with your penis popped out of your fly?

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I usually just wear Nike stuff. The only shoes I have are from Nike. Sometimes I wear Reebok and Polo shirts, but I mostly wear Nike. Nike is where its at.

I do about 90% of my shopping at a store called Filene's Basement, (in nyc), which is a pretty awesome store. It's an outlet store, so whenever a nearby brand-name store like lucky, dkny, nautica, polo, tommy hilfiger, etc... has any clothes that don't sell in their respective stores, they sell them to filene's and then filene's sells them for like a 1/4 the price, so I usually wear really expensive brand names, but I pay very little for them. Most jeans I buy there are 100$+, marked down to 20-35$, so I can wear nice clothes and not pay much for them =).

I would never buy any of this stuff at full price, because frankly I don't think any pair of jeans is worth more than 60$, no matter how nice they are, but I'm not going to lie, I do like the way these name-brand clothes I buy look. What I want the most out of clothing is to look the way I want to look. I don't dress to impress anybody specific, I just think that no matter how good a person is, no matter how smart, well adjusted, whatever, they are going to judge you, either consciously or subconsciously, on what you look like. True what you wear won't make up a large part of a good person's judgement, but I still feel it's important to dress the way that you think looks good, because that's what other people will assume when they see you, that you are dressing in a way you think looks good, and if you aren't because you don't care enough to, people might make incorrect assumptions about you.

I don't mind if people wear brand clothing or not, I just think people should be happy with the way they look. That for me is what clothes are about, for you to be satisfied with how your'e portraying yourself to the world.

yay for Hollister/Abercrombie/American Eagle/Aeropostale. I'm known as a prep with lots of polos at my school, even though i do wear a lot of quiksilver and billabong. Yup, you can judge me, but yep, i'm a total conformist.
I've never understood this. Some people try to avoid a "prep" look by purposely not shopping at the aforementioned shops, yet buy truckloads of stuff from quicksilver and the like. Honestly, quiksilver is just as expensive if not more expensive then any of that "prep" stuff. Why do you feel this way when it's all the same? It's just corporations making a ton of money off of tricking kids into thinking they aren't wearing "popular" clothes or whatever.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I've never understood this. Some people try to avoid a "prep" look by purposely not shopping at the aforementioned shops, yet buy truckloads of stuff from quicksilver and the like. Honestly, quiksilver is just as expensive if not more expensive then any of that "prep" stuff. Why do you feel this way when it's all the same? It's just corporations making a ton of money off of tricking kids into thinking they aren't wearing "popular" clothes or whatever.
Isn't it ironic? It reminds me of one of my favorite song lyrics:

No matter how different you are, you're just like everybody else.
No matter how hard you try and fit in, there is no one like you.

If someone is only your friend because of the clothes on your body then I don't think they should be considered a friend at all. A friend shouldn't care what clothes you wear as they should like you for who you are, not what you wear.

Wal-Mart = my clothing store of choice. Overshirts (as I call them)
YES! Finally someone else but me calls them overshirts! :D
School photos were today, and I showed up in a black Element T-Shirt and jeans for my photo. And I have to say I good damn good in my ID card.
And my mom wanted me to wear an ugly overshirt and slacks.

shit like that is different and you know it! Anyone who doesn't shell out for a good suit is dumb.

Only time I judge by clothing is those freaks who wear the black bellbottoms with holes and neon green lining and who wear black hoodies in the middle of the fucking summer (i imagine hazerider to be one of these people)

picture reference:

I end up wearing the cool rock shirts I find anywhere, target, hot topic, wal-mart etc or any event shirt.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)