Nationwide Gamestop Pokemon Tournament Discussion Thread

so i called both of the EB and babbages near me holding the tournament.. got some mixed results. the guy in EB (the better bigger store in my mall) basicly read me off the pamphlet they got and has basicly never played in his life. he was reading like "players will click vs battle, then they click which pokemans to use" etc.

basicly what i got out of him was hes running it 6v6 singles lvl 50all with the standard rules in the game already theyre not changing or banning anything. he also said "any player with more than 490 pokemon in their pokedex will not be able to play" well i said what if i have seen the pokemon but im not using them & i dont even have them in my boxes. he said, well this is the nintendo rules here and they say that you cant play then. im like even if im not using them / dont even own them? just from having them in my pokedex, and hes like well yeah i guess so thats what it says... also theyre checking for more than 3 masterballs (retarded cause you could have 50 legit if u wanted) and looking for "any large amounts of shiny pokemon as they are supposed to be extremely rare"

so basicly this guy doesnt care hes just some manager doing his job that knows nothing of pokemon. so basicly it blows cause i have a japanese darkrai and i messed around with a hacked arc/shaymin from my friend but i deleted them. so thats BS

so then i called the babbages in the same mall which is also holding the tournament, explained i talked to the other guy he has no idea about pokemon and was wonderin if they did. they really didnt but were more understanding about the 490 pokemon thing and the guy said "well if what youre saying is true i dont see why having them in your dex would matter as long as you dont actually have them on your game" and told me to call back thursday when the manager is supposed to have all the rules and everything set up for a final answer...

i wish someone who played pokemon was running a tourny in south jersey

Well, I called my local Gamestop and the guy was like, no hacks, no team of the same Pokemon, and you're set.

And there are only three people registered so far. Looks like this will be an easy win.

how far do you have to be in diamond to be able to participate in this, you dont need to beat the game right? my friend has a diamond i could borrow just to put my pokemon on there ot battle with. since PBR scans your boxes for pokemon and just copies them over you shouldnt need to beat it right? can anyone confirm this?

how far do you have to be in diamond to be able to participate in this, you dont need to beat the game right? my friend has a diamond i could borrow just to put my pokemon on there ot battle with. since PBR scans your boxes for pokemon and just copies them over you shouldnt need to beat it right? can anyone confirm this?
As long as you have a team that you're satisfied with in DP, you're good to go.

I called the only Gamestop in Kansas that was mentioned on the website, and it turned out that they weren't doing it. Woohoo. Now I'm trying to find a close one in Missouri.
They aren't? This sucks, though it saves me a phone call. Please do inform about anything you find or said negative results if nothing.

I just got back from asking the GS closest to me (one of the ones in Queens, NYC, NY) about it. He said that he just got the rules set and didn't really read through it yet and to come back later in the week. The only straight answer I got that made sense was that it was going to be Saturday at 2PM. He kinda mumbled something about not having pokemon higher than 200, though I attribute this to him not reading the rules fully yet.

I dare to suggest that if the host of your tourney seems incompetent, that you try and take a bit of charge and create a rules set that's more balanced for the people in attendence. It would probably help to check the skill level of those there that day, because you can't exactly exclude people, except if they're violating one of the more official rules.

Hmm, my friend is worried that they're going to use a hack scanner for this tourny. Anyone think that they will? Seeings as tons of the pokemon floating around for trade are hacks that look legit.

lol, I just called all 4 locations that are holding tournaments here in las vegas, and NONE of the stores have any idea what's going on. When I asked about 6v6 or 4v4, they thought I was speaking a different language. This is going to be such a poorly organized tournament. All of them told me to call back later in the week and they would have more more information. *rolls eyes*
Cool, somebody else from Vegas. The one on Marks Street by the Galleria Mall is doing 6v6, standard rules (but there's no Item, OHKO, Sleep, or Evasion Clause!!!!).

That's the one I'm planning on going to. Also, when I called, the guy I talked to sounded somewhat like he knew what he was doing. I don't know what time it starts, though. Either opening time, or 2 like all the others.
~Bam

Hmm, my friend is worried that they're going to use a hack scanner for this tourny. Anyone think that they will? Seeings as tons of the pokemon floating around for trade are hacks that look legit.
For this tournament, I'd say probably not. From reading this thread, it seems very poorly organized, and those who are participating seem to know very little about Pokémon. Chances are, they aren't going to go to the trouble of using anything other than what is built into Pokémon Battle Revolution. That's no excuse to hack though, as not only is it wrong, but you still might get caught.

Oh, I know. I don't hack, and don't plan to. Just making sure, because my friend is my ride there, and if he doesn't think he'll be able to compete, I can't go, which would seriously suck.

They aren't? This sucks, though it saves me a phone call. Please do inform about anything you find or said negative results if nothing.
He just mentioned a sports video game tournament (I don't remember what is was) and said that he doesn't know anything abou it.

Just on a side note, the closest one in Missouri is near St. Louis, 4 hours away from my house.

I called my local Gamestop and they feel that items are the only thing that one should ban . . . . besides that it will be a six vs. six single battle.

I called about a dozen Gamespots in my area and only one is doing it.
Matteson Plaza, Saturday at noon.
Standard rules: No pokemon over Pokedex #490 and it will be level scaled to 50.

Hi, I'm new here, figured what better way to introduce myself than to say where I'll be going Saturday. I'll be going to the Gamestop in Mohegan Lake, NY. I just called, they're going to be doing Level 100, 1-vs-1, no Ubers, 1 Legendary per team. Time to dust off the old Blissey and Mence or CBCross anyone want to help give me ideas what to use? No Legendaries is going to give me a headache to figure out (I miss CalmCune already)

I just called the only one in my city thats holding the tournament. They told me there was an age limit, no one older than 15. As in, <=15. Anyone else hear this? I'm lucky my birthdays not for a few months but I would think many Smogoners are older than 15. Also, guy said they would just be using default rules. Anyone who owns PBR, what are default rules?

I just called the only one in my city thats holding the tournament. They told me there was an age limit, no one older than 15. As in, <=15. Anyone else hear this? I'm lucky my birthdays not for a few months but I would think many Smogoners are older than 15. Also, guy said they would just be using default rules. Anyone who owns PBR, what are default rules?
There's no default rules aside from Wi-fi, which is Lv. 50 2v2.

Oh really? Well when I called a man answered and when I asked if they were holding the tournament all he said was "No." I said "Oh, alright," and he hung up on me. Well I'm going to call both stores again tommarow.
Called Burbank, CA again today, and she said they are definitely holding it. Don't have that many people, but they will hold it for sure.

I confirmed again 1v1, 4 pokes each.

My Gamestop has 32 people regisered so far, so the first 16 battles are gonna be held simultaneously on Nintendo DS. We decided to ban all legendary Pokemon (lol), oh well. Hm.. technically I'm not even allowed to play in this tournament since I'm an employee, but my manager just told me not to tell anyone. There's a bracket list, so it looks like the tournament is single elimination (the bane of my existance). This is how I lost the SSBM tourney that we had a while back, one mistake and you're out of the tournament :/

If anyone has any other questions, ask and I'll see if I know the answer.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Decided to call my own tourney to be sure. It's singles, AND there's no pokemon banned.

*gulp

Arceus

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)