Nationwide Gamestop Pokemon Tournament Discussion Thread

My Gamestop has 32 people regisered so far, so the first 16 battles are gonna be held simultaneously on Nintendo DS. We decided to ban all legendary Pokemon (lol), oh well. Hm.. technically I'm not even allowed to play in this tournament since I'm an employee, but my manager just told me not to tell anyone. There's a bracket list, so it looks like the tournament is single elimination (the bane of my existance). This is how I lost the SSBM tourney that we had a while back, one mistake and you're out of the tournament :/

If anyone has any other questions, ask and I'll see if I know the answer.
Is there any way to scale levels without Wi-Fi on D/P, or are several people going to be screwed over because they didn't go through the trouble of beating the Elite Four two hundred times?

Is there any way to scale levels without Wi-Fi on D/P, or are several people going to be screwed over because they didn't go through the trouble of beating the Elite Four two hundred times?
you can't really gain levels through wifi... but yeah basically get a lucky egg and beat the e4/vs seeker/stark mountain it up

also the gamestop by me now has a whopping 6 people entered >_<

Decided to call my own tourney to be sure. It's singles, AND there's no pokemon banned.

*gulp

Arceus

Ugh, I couldn't imagine fighting Arceus without having one myself. Jibaku, do you think Arceus is a poke that like, virtually every ubers team will need to be competitive?

Cool, somebody else from Vegas. The one on Marks Street by the Galleria Mall is doing 6v6, standard rules (but there's no Item, OHKO, Sleep, or Evasion Clause!!!!).

That's the one I'm planning on going to. Also, when I called, the guy I talked to sounded somewhat like he knew what he was doing. I don't know what time it starts, though. Either opening time, or 2 like all the others.
~Bam
Sold, hopefully the tourney wraps up pretty fast, seeing as I have work on the strip at 4:30pm. But, if it's standard, looks like I'll see you there.

I still need to call my local GS. =/

All I hope for is 6v6, I could care less if it's single, double, ubers, no ubers, I'm planning on winning regardless.

That to. Are they actually allowing Darkrai to be used though? That could be fun with no sleep clause....

lol July 21,2007=Bad day for Pokemon.

I would compete if I didn't have to read a new harry Potter book.

Anyways, do you know if it's Single or double?
Meh, i can care less about Harry Potter, when it comes to a Pokemon Tournament. I can get the book AFTER i win the tourney.

I won't stand for Arceus use, especially in the face of one of the few rules Nintendo deigned to implement...

I hope I can coerce the staff to at least put on a sleep/freeze clause. A single hit of the "a" button and I won't have to worry about someone with Gengar, Milotic or Breloom totally raping everyone.

...I'm gonna pack a lum berry on something >_>

I keep calling the store I'm going to, but they still aren't sure on what rules they're using. One can surmise that this is solely because no one there knows jack about Pokemon at all.

I think I 'll drop by tomorrow in person and see how things are shaping up. As it stands I'm still frentically hashing together an Uber team (plus Weavile), but if legends end up banned at the last second I'd have to really struggle to have a team ready in time. AND if the have any DS-to-DS battles (no auto leveling + single-elimination = tournament concept FAILURE), then everyone's screwed except for that ONE guy who just had to grind his Jynx to 100 for shits and giggles.

Lucky Egg or no, the rest of this week will be hell for me.

Well, called my nearest store. From the tone of the conversation (I asked about the rules, the guy told me how they were going to play PBR on the Wii), this is one of the "doesn't know shit about Pokemon" stores.

So, now I need to decide how I'm going to gamble: run my EV trained non-uber Pokes and hope I face morons, EV train the shit out of what few decent usable (no Darkrai or Arceus for me, suck) ubers I have, or just say fuck it. I'm kind of leaning towards the first option, since I already have the game anyway.

I called yet again, and the guy this time at least said "honestly we haven't read the packet yet we were going to Friday or Saturday". So I say to hell with them, every last one of them is getting flinch haxed by togekiss.

I don't know. I just asked the guy if there are any pokemon banned, and he said "Nope"

i thought that one of the rules all of the gamestops have is that you cant have pokemon with a dex number over 490 and that people with over 490 in their dex wouldnt be allowed to participate or something like that...

Yeah, the guys at my local store don't know ANYTHING about pokemon, but they read the packet and anyone with pokes over the 490 mark are supposed to be disqualified, so I suggest you delete any haxx0red Arceus and Darkrai pokemons before you head up there. Unfortunately I have to work, so some n00b is going to win the local one here.

I highly doubt that there are any GameStops in the country that will be banning ubers since that's something only hardcore fans will know about. So I suggest everyone going preps an ubers team for this. You are only likely to get DQ'ed if you hack stupid things onto your ubers and get caught cheating. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure that anything goes. Sleep 'em, freeze 'em, OHKO them... whatever.

The packet does say 1-490, but it also says feel free to make changes as necessary. So, the only way to know for sure is to call your gamestop. I know some of us aren't getting the answers we want when we call but, DO NOT go in solely with the information in this thread. If you don't call, go in with a team for all tiers, retrictions, etc.

Sold, hopefully the tourney wraps up pretty fast, seeing as I have work on the strip at 4:30pm. But, if it's standard, looks like I'll see you there.
I just hope that they're using the Wii only and not our DSes, otherwise all my Pokemon will only be around level 50 if it's open level...

I keep on calling and they're not answering, but they're probably not open yet.
~Bam

yeah I called the store that I'm going to and asked what rules there will be and the guy said " You'll see when you get here." So everything for me is a mystery, but this might indicate that they know what they are doing. so mixed emotions here :avatar2:

Well I just called my local GS...and the only info I got was that it's at 2 PM and that you can't hack...

lol, what fools. I guess I'll build a team for every possible situation...

Well, my local gamestop decided to cancel the tournament so I called the one 15 miles away and they said: "A pokemon tournament? What? I have no idea what you're talking about dude." Very insightful indeed. So it's sad to say I won't have a chance to enter the gamestop tournament and win a free PBR game. Ah well, guess I'll go play magic this weekend instead.

Mine's going with the very simple rule set of:
Anything Goes.
Only one other guy entered. They do check for anything suspicious.
So I guess it's time to train an uber team.

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Mine is running 6v6 singles, Uber ban, sleep clause, OHKO ban and the like.

Sucks that they know what they're doing.

Well, my Gamestop at the Berlin Circle is 6v6 with pretty much no rules other then Nintendo's bans. I still don't have an Uber's team, so I think I am gonna have a tough time winning, especially because 2 of the guys going with me have -all- the legal Ubers... I still plan on winning though. Just because you have stronger shit doesn't mean you automatically win.

I'm going to one in Memphis, TN, and the website said that there were two in the city doing it, but one was canceled, and the other one didn't know anything about it, so I'm going to the one in Cordova. I called them on Sunday, and the guy there sounded pretty nice and like he maybe knew what he was talking about. He told me the time, and I asked him if they were going to check the bag or Pokedex or anything like that, and he said he wasn't going to do anything like that. I then asked him about the rules, and he said that we'd decide on them together when everyone shows up. he also said that he'd provide Pokemon for anyone who didn't have a game, which means that he plays Pokemon. :) I called back today, and some girl picked up the phone. I asked her if I needed to sign up or anything, and she said to show up about 30 minutes early to sign up and get organized. I didn't ask her anything else about the rules or bans or anything because I didn't think she would know much. I'm pretty hopeful about being able to participate, since all my Pokemon are legit and I don't even have 491-493 in my Pokedex. I did use my friend's Pokesav to max out my items, but that's the only thing they could possibly incriminate me for. I guess I'll toss them all just to be safe (you can't toss TMs, though :(), but I doubt they'll actually take the time to look through everyone's Pokedex, Item Bag, Boxes, etc. My Pearl version is completely clean (although I haven't started a new game), so I suppose I'm safe. I'm gonna show up with a small group of friends, which, fortunately for me, generally suck at Pokemon, so I should be fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)