NBA discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoping to gain some traction after a sluggish start to their season, the Phoenix Suns shook up their roster Wednesday, trading guard Raja Bell and forward Boris Diaw for Charlotte Bobcats swingman Jason Richardson.
Though Bell’s defense has slipped in recent seasons, he had been one of the Suns’ tougher players while Diaw, when motivated, had the ability to defend multiple systems. Richardson is a talented scorer who recently returned to the Bobcats after undergoing arthroscopic surgery on his right knee.
The Suns also sent rookie point guard Sean Singletary to the Bobcats and received forward Jared Dudley and a 2010 second-round draft pick.
oh wow

I know...I'll wait to reserve my final opinion until I see them play, but really, this goes in almost a 360 to what Porter has been preaching; why trade what was one of your best defenders if your goal is to improve defense? Diaw...eh, he's just been slipping too much, he's never been at his 2005 form since. But trading Bell...that's just sad.

Wondering who they're going to sign next, since they're down to 12. Like the Suns' site said, hopefully they're looking at a GOOD veteran PG.

Man the Heat are so inconsistent. It's so hard to look to the future, even though that's really what we need to do. Beasley still is going to take a lot of time to adjust to playing man-to-man defense in the NBA. He'll be great though. Zo will be back in January which should help their chances this year. Not to mention Anthony has come around nicely. And of course, Wade is an MVP right now. Two years, if they can keep Wade and get one more star (which they need to keep Wade in the first place), with Beasley and Chalmers with experience under their belt, it'll be a team to be reckoned with.

Outside of the Heat, I gotta root for the Hornets. Or the Cavs, if not just to dethrone the freakin Celtics, whom I hate.

okay, can you give evidence that he can't help a contender as a 3rd, 4th or 5th option?
I agree that Marbury has talent left, but the problem is Stephon Marbury is too selfish to take a role as a 3rd, 4th, or 5th option. That's why he's in the situation he's in.

As far as Phoenix goes, it looks like Steve Kerr is absolutely ruining that team.

Scofield

Ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhh, Kate.......
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
How is Steve Kerr ruining it? That team wasn't going anywhere, getting a dynamic scorer like J-Rich at least give's them a new dimension. yeah, Bell's loss hurts them, but they're best bet of getting past the Lakers is if someone else beats them anyways. If they do meet, they can make due with J-Rich and whatever they have, hoping Nash can control the pace of the game. Speaking of Nash, I truly believe that he is entering his "Jason Kidd" mode right now where any team he is on will have at least a legitimate outside chance at the title. Say, the Spurs knock out the Lakers. I think this Suns team has a chance to beat the Spurs as well as any previous team did, and they can beat anyone else in the West in a 7 game series. Nash might not be the premier point guard in the league, but he's still better than Deron Williams and just a notch behind Chris Paul, who lacks Nash's playoff experience (just look at that choke job against the Spurs, inb4sunsplayoffchoke).

How is Steve Kerr ruining it? That team wasn't going anywhere, getting a dynamic scorer like J-Rich at least give's them a new dimension. yeah, Bell's loss hurts them, but they're best bet of getting past the Lakers is if someone else beats them anyways. If they do meet, they can make due with J-Rich and whatever they have, hoping Nash can control the pace of the game. Speaking of Nash, I truly believe that he is entering his "Jason Kidd" mode right now where any team he is on will have at least a legitimate outside chance at the title. Say, the Spurs knock out the Lakers. I think this Suns team has a chance to beat the Spurs as well as any previous team did, and they can beat anyone else in the West in a 7 game series. Nash might not be the premier point guard in the league, but he's still better than Deron Williams and just a notch behind Chris Paul, who lacks Nash's playoff experience (just look at that choke job against the Spurs, inb4sunsplayoffchoke).
I was fine with everything you said until you said Chris Paul choked against the Spurs. Ahem, Chris Paul RAPED THE FUCK out of the Spurs. The rest of the team choked. Peja and West choked. Chandler choked. But Chris Paul OWNED. If you're just going to go with the fact that they didn't win the series when they should have (which is true), well how many times has Nash brought his team to the Finals? None? Okay.

actually, we call that the 'pargo syndrome.' you can't choke if you don't have the ball because pargo feels entitled to taking any shot any time he gets the ball in his hand!!!

actually, we call that the 'pargo syndrome.' you can't choke if you don't have the ball because pargo feels entitled to taking any shot any time he gets the ball in his hand!!!
Haha yeah that is true. And no one really thought it to be a bad thing because he owned in the previous series.

Ancien Régime

washed gay RSE player
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I know...I'll wait to reserve my final opinion until I see them play, but really, this goes in almost a 360 to what Porter has been preaching; why trade what was one of your best defenders if your goal is to improve defense? Diaw...eh, he's just been slipping too much, he's never been at his 2005 form since. But trading Bell...that's just sad.
Raja Bell is Deshawn Stevenson West. Has an inflated rep but is above-average at best defensively. I see him routinely get eaten alive by top perimeter players.

Raja Bell is Deshawn Stevenson West. Has an inflated rep but is above-average at best defensively. I see him routinely get eaten alive by top perimeter players.
Still, for Richardson? From what I've heard, his defense is shotty at best. And Bell could at least limit Kobe offensively, as he proved the last few years, which is always a good thing.

Scofield

Ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhh, Kate.......
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Hmm, ok, I actually love Chris Paul, but I meant his team choked and he couldn't stop their freefall. My point still stands that the Suns could beat the Hornets in a playoff series.

Loki

like seashells
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 7 Championwon the 3rd Official Smogon Tournament
richardson is a better defender than bell. everyone knows bell has been washed up for the last year or so, he doesnt have the quickness to stay with guys anymore. plus bell didnt exactly get along well with porter.

Hmm, ok, I actually love Chris Paul, but I meant his team choked and he couldn't stop their freefall. My point still stands that the Suns could beat the Hornets in a playoff series.
Anyone can beat anyone in a 7 game series. See: Hawks almost beating the Celts.

The Hornets however are a far superior team.

I actually like Bell a lot, if not just for the amusing anecdotes from "Seven Seconds Or Less" on his battles (and clothesline of) with Kobe in that 7 game playoff series.

Don't the Suns routinely get torn up by quick penetrating pgs? And now they don't have Bell, or Marion who even used to cover pgs way back when o_O.

I've been supporting the Suns the last few years, but seriously I don't really think very highly of the Richardson trade. I remember when Gilbert posted on his blog, (granted he sometimes says ridiculous things such as the showtime lakers having no D), that how the Hornet's players really complement Paul in the sense that almost none of them need to handle/dominate the ball, see Morris Peterson, Peja, Chandler, Posey etc, allowing him to do his overdribbling penetrating thing.

Now Nash has to accommodate "hold the ball for 8 seconds and repost twice" Shaq, Amare (who admittedly can play a good off-the-ball two man game with Nash), and another isolation wing like Richardson....it just makes me sad.

I know there was a discussion about this on slamonline, but everytime I see Rose I wonder where he places in terms of most athletic pg ever. I mean you got Baron, Francis, KJ, Isiah Thomas, Marbury etc...
Personally I'd go with Baron, especially if you've seen him in college before he hurt his legs.

Any of you guys read Basketbawful.com? Pretty much the funniest NBA-related site I've ever read..

P.S. Speaking of athletic point guards, remember in the 90s and early 2000s how a between the legs dunk was the craziest dunk ever? And now you can youtube the 6'1 lefthanded Brandon Jennings doing them as if they were nothing...

Anyone can beat anyone in a 7 game series. See: Hawks almost beating the Celts.

The Hornets however are a far superior team.
see: the hawks are very good at home???

I went to the game today, pretty heartbreaking, fucking joe johnson missing a free throw.

Ain't it funny when you see KG get the ball inside the hawks, and he shifts and jukes and pumpfakes hesitantly before putting it up, cos he's kinda scared of Josh Smith swatting him?

see: the hawks are very good at home???

I went to the game today, pretty heartbreaking, fucking joe johnson missing a free throw.
This is true, and even better this year. However, they were an 8 seed and Boston was a 1 seed. Boston had the best road record in the league last year. Them not winning in Atlanta speaks more about the small sample size of 7 games than Atlanta's home prowess.

This is true, and even better this year. However, they were an 8 seed and Boston was a 1 seed. Boston had the best road record in the league last year. Them not winning in Atlanta speaks more about the small sample size of 7 games than Atlanta's home prowess.
Shame they didn't go all the way, like the nice Warriors upset over Dallas a few years ago.

Ain't it funny when you see KG get the ball inside the hawks, and he shifts and jukes and pumpfakes hesitantly before putting it up, cos he's kinda scared of Josh Smith swatting him?
yet he made the shot

thats all that really mattered, just look at the final score for proof

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)