ORAS OU Need Advice - Mega Gallade and Friends

I am fairly new to the PS and Smogon communities, and haven't played Pokemon since B/W. The ORAS OU tier contains a lot of new mons/moves/abilities/etc... I am enjoying team building, but can definitely, and appreciatively, use some advice. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Mega Gallade and Friends

Gallade-Mega @ Galladite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Drain Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch

I wanted to center my team around Mega Gallade. I chose a standard SD variant with a Jolly nature to out speed as much as possible. The plan here is to set up a SD and sweep once all threats are out of the way.

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

I chose Bisharp next as he has great synergy with Mega Gallade, and can switch in when needed. I continued the offensive play style, but gave him a jolly nature (I guess I like to out speed things). I gave him SD in case Mega Gallade goes down and I need a back-up sweeper.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Toxic

I realized I needed some bulky-ness as my team is offensive thus far. I also needed a SR setter, so it came down to Garchomp and Ferrothorn. I decided to go with Garchomp, with rocky helmet and rough skin, to get some chip damage on enemies making them easier to sweep later in the game. I gave him dragon tail to force switches, and the force some more rock damage. Toxic fits the theme of chip damage, so I chose that over fire blast.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Defog
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Whirlwind

I wanted a defogger on my team, and someone to stall out potential threats. Skarmory was chosen due to defog and roost. I gave him left overs for improved sustainability. Whirlwind was chosen, once again, to help with chip damage if rocks are up.

Raikou @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Shadow Ball

I knew I wanted a volt switch user to gain momentum. I chose Raikou due to mono typing and gave him assault vest to help his defenses. Thunderbolt is his best STAB move, and I picked up HP Ice and Shadow Ball to gain some coverage my team didn't have thus far. At this point I realized I was going for a team that could chip away at the opposing team, set up as SD with either Mega Gallade or Bisharp.

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Knock Off

I looked at my teams weaknesses and realized fire would be a huge problem for me. I grabbed Azumarill with assualt best and max HP to help in this area. Standard move set was taken, but I'm not sure knock off is needed, as Bisharp has this. I left it on him, as it is a great move, and didn't see anything I wanted to replace it with.

The main plan with this team is to lead with Garchomp, set up rocks, then chip away at the opponents health until either Mega Gallade or Bisharp can come in to sweep. I am willing to alter any of these mons and/or moves to make a more solid team.

GLHF,
<3 Vulpin

Last edited:
Hello.

First, I suggest running Spikes > Defog. Stacking Spikes with Stealth Rock allows you to put more pressure on the opponent, further limiting the number of switches they can make. This works in tandem with Whirlwind and Dragon Tail. Plus, Bisharp can take advantage of its Defiant ability by deterring the opponent from using Defog. If your team's goal is to rack up chip damage from hazards, then you shouldn't run Defog as it also clears your own hazards, thus you'll need to set them up again.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Whirlwind

Next, I'm suggesting Choice Band > Assault Vest Azumarill. It gives you a more powerful revenge killer that does a better job at picking off weakened foes. It is also capable of revenge killing Mega Diancie after SR damage. Plus, CB Azu can also 2HKO Unaware Quagsire, although it isn't common. I'm proposing a Choice Band set because I believe that AV on Azu is redundant, as you already have Raikou as your AV user whose job is to weaken Mega Alakazam and eliminate Tornadus-T.

Azumarill @ Choice Band
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Knock Off

Hope I helped. Bye and good luck.

Hey Repeater1947!

Thank you very much for your comments. I agree with both of your suggestions and will make the changes. I actually had cleared my own SR's once or twice and was considering changing it for another move. I gave the AV to Azumarill to make it more bulky, but I will give the Choice Band some games and see how it works out.

Thank you again so much for taking the time to reply and teach someone who was looking for help.

GLHF,
<3 Vulpin

I am fairly new to the PS and Smogon communities, and haven't played Pokemon since B/W. The ORAS OU tier contains a lot of new mons/moves/abilities/etc... I am enjoying team building, but can definitely, and appreciatively, use some advice. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.
Mega Gallade and Friends

Gallade-Mega @ Galladite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Drain Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch

I wanted to center my team around Mega Gallade. I chose a standard SD variant with a Jolly nature to out speed as much as possible. The plan here is to set up a SD and sweep once all threats are out of the way.

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

I chose Bisharp next as he has great synergy with Mega Gallade, and can switch in when needed. I continued the offensive play style, but gave him a jolly nature (I guess I like to out speed things). I gave him SD in case Mega Gallade goes down and I need a back-up sweeper.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Toxic

I realized I needed some bulky-ness as my team is offensive thus far. I also needed a SR setter, so it came down to Garchomp and Ferrothorn. I decided to go with Garchomp, with rocky helmet and rough skin, to get some chip damage on enemies making them easier to sweep later in the game. I gave him dragon tail to force switches, and the force some more rock damage. Toxic fits the theme of chip damage, so I chose that over fire blast.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Defog
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Whirlwind

I wanted a defogger on my team, and someone to stall out potential threats. Skarmory was chosen due to defog and roost. I gave him left overs for improved sustainability. Whirlwind was chosen, once again, to help with chip damage if rocks are up.

Raikou @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Shadow Ball

I knew I wanted a volt switch user to gain momentum. I chose Raikou due to mono typing and gave him assault vest to help his defenses. Thunderbolt is his best STAB move, and I picked up HP Ice and Shadow Ball to gain some coverage my team didn't have thus far. At this point I realized I was going for a team that could chip away at the opposing team, set up as SD with either Mega Gallade or Bisharp.

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Knock Off

I looked at my teams weaknesses and realized fire would be a huge problem for me. I grabbed Azumarill with assualt best and max HP to help in this area. Standard move set was taken, but I'm not sure knock off is needed, as Bisharp has this. I left it on him, as it is a great move, and didn't see anything I wanted to replace it with.

The main plan with this team is to lead with Garchomp, set up rocks, then chip away at the opponents health until either Mega Gallade or Bisharp can come in to sweep. I am willing to alter any of these mons and/or moves to make a more solid team.

GLHF,
<3 Vulpin

I like this a lot since I find it well balanced for the format of your team. You have great type coverage with your moves. The synergy is very good. The only thing I would suggest is that you need more recovery moves so that if you are in trouble, your tank can self heal and last longer. Other than that, this is good

Hey, off the bat, your team is ridiculously week to stall, and set up sweepers. Sableye destroys your team since except raikou every mon hates will o wisp. As for set up sweepers, they are a threat to every team, no matter how well made it is. I have a couple of recommendations regarding this.
  • Firstly, change azumarill to unaware clefable. This gives you a solid sableye check, cleric and set up sweeper check. Gallade definitely could do with the cleric help.
  • Next, bisharp isn't doing anything for your team. It's priority isn't exactly reliable and it does nothing as a fairy check, since it takes neutral damage and more often than not takes a huge ton of it from most viable fairy types. I would suggest changing to SD talonflame. It gives you reliable priority in brave bird and a decent fairy check too. It also serves as a check to bulky grass types like venusaur and amoongoos.
  • With the removal of azumarill, ground types do bother you, so change skarmory to defensive starmie. IMO, starmie is probably the best hazard remover there is. Rapid spin over defog ensures that you hazards are on the field while removing your opponent's. It also gives you a check to any variants of keldeo along with talonflame.
Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability : Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Def / 162 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Scald
- Psyshock / Reflect Type

If you want to beat gengar 1v1, then use Psyshock. Reflect Type is mainly used as a pursuit counter. IMO Psyshock is better as it allows you to beat other keldeo too.

Hope I helped :)

DennisEG

Civil Engineer
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hello man pretty simple core to build around in Mega Gallade + Bisharp but at the same time is hard that the team works, specially because this core tend to be more offensive so the team turns into that even if you wont. However your team looks really nice and i feel like give you a couple suggestion that might improve it a bit more.
  • First I know Drain Punch is recovery move and doesn't lower your defense but Close Combat is way more better, because the main role of Mega Gallade is break teams after a SD and power is much needed.
  • As your team is heavily weak to status you definitely need Lum Berry>Blackglasses on Bish, this item allow you to sd in front on so many mons like Slowbro or Mew without fearing getting burn, even Rotom-w.
  • Fire Blast > Toxic on chomp because you dont have a reliable way to kill mega zor.
  • Iron Head>BB on Skarm because you need a fairy check, and BB doesnt hit fairies as hard as you want, also you cover Mega Cross well enough or Mega venu. Also you can go full hzard stack and put spikes>Defog on skarm as isnt an optimal defoger either way.
  • And the last change is put Toxic > SBall and Expert Belt/ Leftovers > AV on Raikou as this mons bait bulky grounds types you can toxic them to late game sweep for bish/gallade.
  • As little nitpick put those 16evs on spD rather than speed on Azu, but you can always take hp for speed and hit like 160 for clef.
Hope i help you and gl.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)