Serious Need help dealing with a malicious user on another forum site

So in addition to Smogon, I am also a frequent poster on the Mega Man Maker forums. Mega Man Maker is a fan-made game that mixes the level creation aspect of Super Mario Maker with the gameplay of the Mega Man series. It’s fairly popular, and there is a forum site and wiki dedicated to the game; however, the forums are currently dealing with a problem so severe that the staff have had to close the registration of new accounts.

Around April of last year, a user on the forums by the name of “Fanduber” posted a variety of threads saying that certain assets were “confirmed” for the next update of the game (in horribly broken Engrish). Of course, he was not on the development team, so his threads ended up getting deleted. He also created an alt to draw attention to his threads, which was quickly banned.

This would be fine, if he had stopped.

However, Fanduber kept coming back with alts and posting the same nonsense that got his original accounts banned. His attitude also got notably worse, to the point where he was now insulting other users left and right: for example, when one user made a popular mod for the game (that the creator approved of, and actually pinned on the Mega Man Maker Discord server), Fanduber started harassing the user with fallacious claims of “PIRACY” and “ILLEGAR”.

To make matters worse, we recently had to deal with a wave of copycat accounts in addition to Fanduber himself, to the point where the only way to get them to stop was for the moderators to close the registration of new accounts. This seems to have stopped him for now, but it can’t last forever. At some point the registration will have to reopen, at which point I’m sure this asshole will come back with another alt and start spamming again.

So please, if there’s any way we can get rid of this user, tell me (or Take Azelfie, he also has an account on the site). I’m not sure the Mega Man Maker forums can handle this guy for much longer.

tl;dr I’m a member of a forum site that is currently having trouble with a spammer by the name of “Fanduber”. We’ve managed to stop him for now by closing the registration of new accounts, but please tell me if there’s a more effective method for dealing with this shithead.

Raidx

Banned deucer.
Smogon can't handle issues that happen on other sites, that's something you'd have to consult that site's admins for.

Good point, but I would appreciate it if someone could give me an idea as to what we could do. What I mean is, has Smogon ever had to deal with a user like this?

The staff have tried IP banning already, but every time that happens, he keeps coming back with a new IP. One user mentioned VPN banning as a last resort...

I have no idea what "shadow banning" is.

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
It's an issue that mods would have to deal with and frankly it's impossible to stop. There will always be a new IP for them to go on and continue to mess with the forums. Also this is probably not an issue that could be dealt with by Smogon nor could they come up with solutions with.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
If they keep getting new IPs, it might mean that their internet service changes IPs everytime they restart their PC.

But anyways, I think you should learn to ignore these people.

It means that the spammer can post, but only the spammer can see their own posts, while everyone else can't. So they can post all they want, oblivious to the fact all their posts are not seen.
:v4:
That's an excellent idea! I'll speak to the MMM forum mods about this right away.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)