Never was good at making titles...Offensive OU RMT.

After spending the last three months being a hardcore event collector, I've decided it is time to move back to the competitive metagame. So this is first team I've thought up since my return; I've tested it several times and it performs fairly well, so I've decided to take it here and hopefully get some advice about how to change it. Please note that I battle on Wi-Fi and not ShoddyBattle, so my options, along with those of my opponents, are limited.

My Team at a Glance:

Detailed Description and Analysis

The (Almost) Universal Anti-Lead

Weavile @ Focus Sash
Jolly / Pressure
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
~ Fake Out
~ Taunt
~ Ice Punch
~ Night Slash

I love Anti-Lead Weavile because of its ability to shut down a lot of common leads, whether they be suicude leads, baton passers, or bulkier defensive leads. Why two attacks instead of Counter, you ask? Well, because this Weavile is designed to have some sweeping capability as well, and it’s not just there to take a hit from Forretress or Bronzong, and be rendered useless for the rest of the game. Besides, I can silence them with Taunt, and then switch out to a suitable counter to scare them away. Fake Out is for removing Sashes from suicude leads like Azelf, Aerodactyl, and Roserade, and Ice Punch and Night Slash will definitely suffice to finish them off. Aero is faster, so it can either set up Rocks and die leaving Weavile with the Sash, or break the Sash and not get Stealth Rock set up. Although this team does not have any pokémon that are weak to Stealth Rock, it is still better to stop to opponent from setting it up as I lack a spinner. Against Frosslass and Gengar, I will often Taunt so I don’t get hit by a Hypnosis coming from Gengar or Spikes from Froslass. This also ensures that I do not get Destiny Bonded (this won’t happen anyways because I am faster than both of them). Weavile does have a problem with Lead Crobat with Hypnosis, as it is outsped and therefore cannot Taunt it. Weavile also completely shuts down Smeargle with either a Fake Out + Ice Punch combo or Taunt. The former is probably the better option as it ensures that I do not get hit by Struggle, and my Sash still stays intact. Weavile can also silence Ninjask, to an extent, depending on what variant it is. If it carries Protect, then it will often do this the first round. I take advantage of this and Taunt it while it is Protecting. If Ninjask carries Protect, then it will under most circumstances not carry an offensive move, so it’s now pretty much useless and I can easily set up on it. If Ninjask does not carry Protect, then Fake Out has its uses. Some lead Ninjask are Sashed, so Fake Out breaks it. Then, while the opponent Substitutes on the next turn, they get a Taunt in the face. Voila, Ninjask is pretty much useless. I can switch out and eliminate it. Against bulkier leads such as Swampert, Bronzong, and Forretress, Taunt is probably the best option off the bat (though a Fake Out first can never hurt for the free damage). I can’t really do anything to them after they start attacking me, so I’d best switch out to a counter to take them down. Swampert is a bit of a problem since I don’t carry anything with Grass-type moves that is a safe switch in, but Latias handles it to an extent. Weavile can also come back late-game (preferably with its Sash unbroken) to take down Salamences and other Dragons with a Fake Out + Ice Punch combo, as well as sweeping Psychics and Ghosts with Night Slash.

Team Synergy
Fighting – Gengar, Latias
Fire – Heatran, Kingdra
Rock – Lucario
Steel – Heatran, Kingdra
Bug – Heatran, Gengar, Lucario

The Much Too Overused Beast of a Physical Sweeper

Lucario @ Life Orb / Focus Sash
Jolly / Inner Focus
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
~ Swords Dance
~ Extremespeed
~ Close Combat
~ Crunch

What can I say? Lucario is simply a beast with Swords Dance and Life Orb. Jolly does make me miss important KOs, but what the heck, I hate being outsped in a metagame where speed is the most important factor in the success of a sweeper. This is partially because the majority of Swords Dance Lucario run Adamant, and I don’t really have a true SD Lucario counter, so my best option is to hope to outspeed it with my own Lucario, which always works unless they’re Sashed (which I’ll definitely watch out for). I don’t feel too threatened by Salamence and co., and Gliscor because I do have a Weavile and a Gengar that is capable of disposing of them, but I hate being walled by Ghosts, so that’s why I chose Crunch as an option over Ice Punch. The rest is pretty much self-explantory. I use Gengar or Latias (preferably the former) as Pursuit bait for Tyranitar, then switch into Lucario to set up a free Swords Dance. With Luke’s high degree of unpredictability, it’ll likely scare something away that is not named Tyranitar anyways and get up a Swords Dance and proceed to sweep.

Team Synergy
Fire – Heatran, Kingdra
Ground – Latias, Gengar

The “why use Salamence when you can use me”?

Kingdra @ Lum Berry
Adamant / Sniper
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
~ Dragon Dance
~ Waterfall
~ Outrage
~ Substitute

Honestly, though, Kingdra is awesome. It 4x resists both Water and Fire-type attacks (which are both very common), and does not possess a quadruple weakness to Ice or a weakness to Stealth Rock like its counterparts Dragonite and Salamence (and Flygon for the first one). It’s undoubtely bulky enough to get a Dragon Dance without taking too much damage, and proceed to sweep with an unresisted combination (correct me if I’m wrong) in Waterfall and Outrage. Subsitute is for switching into Choiced Water and Fire attacks, and setting up while the opponent flees. The EV spread used is to ensure that I outspeed any other Kingdras on the field, or at least get a speed tie with those that run the same spread. Swift Swim can be an option over Sniper as an ability to take advantage of Rain Dance teams, but I haven’t really felt too threatened by them yet. Lum Berry over Leftovers and Life Orb because of the ability to absorb status, and if it is not used, then it serves to calm me down from my Outrage after Kingdra’s finished its massacre.

Team Synergy
Dragon – Heatran, Lucario, (or Gengar if they’re going to DD up first)

The Skarm-Bliss Check (who even uses it nowadays anyways?)

Heatran @ Life Orb
Naïve / Flash Fire
4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
~ Fire Blast
~ Earth Power
~ Hidden Power (Grass)
~ Explosion

Although its weaknesses to both Fighting and Ground-type attacks make it difficult to switch in, Heatran does have a plethora of resistances, including numerous 4x resistances. Like its name suggests, this Heatran is capable of handling the almost obsolete SkarmBliss combination. It is also capable of making large dents in opposing teams after it receives a Flash Fire boost, which will come quite often, considering I have 2 fire-weak Pokémon and am quite susceptible to Will-o-Wisp. Fire Blast over Flamethrower simply because of the power factor, and 85% accuracy isn’t too bad at all. If Heracross’s Megahorn is reliable, then Fire Blast should be as well. The rest of the moveset is pretty standard for your average Choice Scarfed Heatran, except this one has Life Orb, which can come as a surprise to unprepared opponents. Hidden Power (Grass) is for eliminating Swampert, something that the rest of my team has a hard time doing. Heatran also serves as my Scizor check, as it resists both of Scizor’s STABs, and can easily outspeed it. Explosion is for taking out pink blobs of fat such as Blissey, but it will also be used if I’m running low on HP, or in times of desperation.

Team Synergy
Ground – Latias, Gengar
Water – Kingdra, Latias

The Epic Revenge Killer

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
Timid / Levitate
4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
~ Shadow Ball
~ Thunderbolt
~ Hidden Power (Ice)
~ Focus Blast / Psychic

Gengar is an awesome Revenge Killer and overall DD-Dragon-type and Gyarados counter. Neither Salamence and its Dragon-type counterparts, nor Gyarados are capable of outspeeding this Gengar after a single Dragon Dance, and are in turn (under most circumstances) OHKO’d by Hidden Power Ice or Thunderbolt, respectively. Gengar can also serve to take out fast Psychics like Alakazam and Starmie that would expect to outspeed it. Even if Starmie is Scarfed itself, it cannot OHKO Gengar, as most Starmie do not pack Psychic as it has horrible coverage. Focus Blast is for Weavile and Tyranitar, but with 70% accuracy it is everything BUT reliable. Plus, Gengar is easily trapped and Pursuited by these two, but this does allow me to set something up with Lucario (providing Weavile is Choice Banded). Psychic is another option as it hits Infernape for a OHKO, something that causes the rest of my team (other than Latias) major nightmares.

Team Synergy
Ghost – Weavile, Lucario, Heatran
Dark – Lucario, Heatran
Psychic – Weavile, Latias, Heatran

Aren’t I just irresistibly cute? ^_^

Latias @ Leftovers
Timid / Levitate
4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
~ Calm Mind
~ Surf
~ Dragon Pulse
~ Thunderbolt

Haha, Cresselia used to fill this spot, until I released how little offensive potential it had. Latias sports nice resistances to Fire, Electric, and Water (something that Cress can’t boast about), which increases its ability to effective wall special attacks with its massive base 130 defense. But like all the other members of my team, this Latias is centered on offense and not defense. It has a helpful immunity to Ground type attacks, and also resists Fighting, which makes it the ideal partner with Heatran, as it almost always has the opportunity to set up a Calm Mind while the opponent flees. After a single Calm Mind, Latias becomes a beast. It laughs at special attacks, including super-effective ones, namely Shadow Balls from Gengar and Mismagius. Sure, it doesn’t pack anything that can OHKO these two, but they can’t do anything back to it at all. Again, the Water-Dragon combination is pretty standard on Latias, but I added in Thunderbolt so that I don’t get walled completely by Empoleon, and have a chance to take out Gyarados, who would seriously threaten my team if Gengar is sleeping with the fishes. Leftovers > Life Orb because I want this Latias to last =_=…preferably a long time.

Team Synergy
Dragon – Heatran, Lucario, Gengar
Ice – Heatran, Lucario, Weavile
Bug – Heatran, Gengar, Lucario
Dark – Lucario, Heatran
Ghost - Lucario, Heatran, Weavile

Possible Problems:
  • I don’t have any safe switch-ins to Magnezone and SpecsJolt; although Latias can take them to an extent (preferably after it already has a Calm Mind up), it can’t dispose of them swiftly. This can sort of be solved by replacing Kingdra with a CB Swampert, who used to occupy this position.
  • Two of my three special sweepers are vulnerable to Pursuit; although they play as bait for Lucario, it seems kind of pointless just wasting them.
  • An opposing Swords Dance Lucario gives me problems, along with Tyranitar and Weavile, because my own Lucario is the sole reliable way I can deal with them; Gengar has Focus Blast, but 70% accuracy is a little eh….plus I can only hope to revenge kill them.
  • I don’t have anything that can absorb status; this can be solved by adding a Sleep Talking CB variant of Machamp with Guts in Lucario’s place. Not only does this allow me to effective deal with Thunder Waves, Toxics, and Sleep (World of Warcrafts would go to Heatran), but it also gives me more of a chance against Weavile and TTar. Machamp resists both of TTar’s STABs, and isn’t weak to anything it would normally carry. As for Weavile, it doesn’t resist its secondary STAB, but it is not weak to anything Weavile normally pack at the same time.
  • My lead has issues with Jirachi and Crobat.
  • I lack Stealth Rock set up, which can cause problems with missing KOs in the long run.
  • Hax.

-reserved for threat list. will post later-

Aerodactyl: Lead variants are handled nicely by Weavile, providing I don't flinch from the Rock Slide. Sweeper variants can easily be knocked out by Gengar, and again by Weavile.

Alakazam: Non-Scarfed variants can be dealt with by Weavile and Gengar. Lucario can take it after one Swords Dance. Latias won't be hurt that badly by it after a Calm Mind.

Azelf: Weavile is designed to eliminate the Lead variant, but can also deal with sweeper variants. Azelf usually aren't Scarfed, so Gengar can handle it as well.

Blissey: This one's pretty tough. Heatran can explode on it if I'm desperate, but otherwise Kingdra can set up on it, and so can Lucario.

Breloom: Another tough one. I usually sacrifice something to take the sleep, and switch into Gengar, as most Breloom carry Seed Bomb and not Stone Edge.

Bronzong: Heatran is capable of taking Levitate / non-Earthquake variants of it. Taunt from Weavile can render set ups useless.

Celebi: Heatran can take it if it lacks Earth Power, TBC...

Nice team, but there are a couple things I would suggest changing. The first thing is changing Latias to something that can help you out a little bit more. As it stands, it's really only serving as Pursuit-bait to help set up Lucario. Now something that worries me is that your only way of dealing with DDtar is Pursuit weak. I would suggest adding a Banded Scizor in it's spot to help take care of it. This will help you revenge multiple threats, scout, and Pursuit scarf-Rotoms that will stop your Lucario from sweeping. Next, instead of Weavile in your lead spot I would suggest Infernape. He can still function as a pretty reliable Anti-Lead, but he also gives you Stealth Rock, which the rest of your team will greatly appriciate.

Both sets can be found in their respective analysis, but here they are anyway.

Scizor @ Choice Band | Technician
Adamant | 248 HP/ 252 Attk/ 8 Speed
Bullet Punch/ U-turn/ Superpower/ Pursuit

Infernape @ Focus Sash| Blaze
Naive/ Hasty | 64 Attk/ 252 SpA/ 192 Spe
Fake Out/ Stealth Rock/ Fire Blast/ Close Combat

Well that's just my take on it, test it out and let me know if it helps!

Alright, so I should replace Latias with Scizor? Is that right?

What about the o so popular Azelf? I don't have a LeadApe on me, but I do have a LeadZelf with stellar IVs.

lol then what worries me is that i have quite a few Fire weaknesses...

Alright, so I should replace Latias with Scizor? Is that right?

What about the o so popular Azelf? I don't have a LeadApe on me, but I do have a LeadZelf with stellar IVs.

lol then what worries me is that i have quite a few Fire weaknesses...

I suppose if you don't have anything else Azelf would work, as you really need to fit Stealth Rock onto the team. And yes, Scizor in for Latias.

Metagross is another option, I suppose, because it's almost guaranteed an SR set up because of its bulk...but then I'm running 3 fire weaks lol.

lol the problem with using CB Scizor as a check is the fact that some Tyranitar carry Fire Punch to deal with CB Scizor...I've had it happen quite a few times. Not pleasant at all.

Almost any major sweeper in Overused can carry a move that will either kill or severely injure it's main counters. Scizor is still one of the best checks to Tyranitar, but it does require some prediction to get it in safely.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Problems:

@ post

How to fix:

Well, thank you for telling me your biggest threats at the end, it makes it easier for people who rate. Well first of all, this is a very good, well-versed team. A couple of changes and this team might be good. To patch up your nasty SpecsJolt weakness, Latias needs to stay alive really long to take Jolteon's hit constantly. I would go for Calm Mind / Dragon Pulse / Thunderbolt / Recover. It boasts decent coverage while maintaining a good solid recovery every turn. Thunderbolt for Surf to prevent Empoleon and Gyarados from having an easy set up. Now that we have that handled, I would really recommend a Rotom-H for Gengar to patch up your troubles with SD Lucario and DD Gyarados

Rotom-H
@ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature (Spe+ / Atk-)
252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe

- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Shadow Ball
- Trick

Here we have your Lucario and Gyarados counter. Having to reliable switch in and out to prevent it from sweeping is great. Switch it on an SD and kill with Overheat. If it predicts a switch in, you could still survive Crunch and a Waterfall from Gyarados. Shadow Ball is for filler and STAB move. Trick gets rid of Blissey early in the match, which generally helps Latias get more Calm Minds.

With that being said, this team is high powered with sweepers, I would defenitly recommend a Stealth Rock user. This metagame is riddled with Flying-types like Salamence and Gyarados which neeeds the sr damage to help Lucario get the kill with extremespeed. The lead I had in mind was Swampert for Weavile (helps the team overall). It also counters the dreaded DD Tyranitar. Swampert @ Leftovers with the EV spread of 252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SpA and moveset: Ice Beam / Earthqauke / Roar / Stealth Rock. You get a solid resist to Electric-type attacks and another check to Magnezone. Stealth Rock helps you like I mentioned and most importantly you have a reliable Salamence check and you wont heavily rely on Extremespeed to KO it. Now that you have Lucario counter, Id go for Adamant for Lucario to get the important KOs. gl with this.

@ franky

Thanks for the advice, and I'll take it all into consideration. I was actually thinking of Swampert for a lead as well. I'm not a very big fan of suicide leads; Swampert is actually able to take a hit or two. One question though, Although MixPert works wonders, I was more leaning towards purely physical Swampert. This is partially because I already have one of these, and also because IMO Swampert hits much harder if it's physically-based.

Also, I battle on Wi-Fi, and although I do have a suitable Timid Rotom candidate, I didn't get a chance to get the Secret Key, so I really don't know how I can get access to the Rotom Formes...

Lol sorry to sound pushy but I guess you didn't realise I answered your post, franky.

franky

is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
@ franky

Thanks for the advice, and I'll take it all into consideration. I was actually thinking of Swampert for a lead as well. I'm not a very big fan of suicide leads; Swampert is actually able to take a hit or two. One question though, Although MixPert works wonders, I was more leaning towards purely physical Swampert. This is partially because I already have one of these, and also because IMO Swampert hits much harder if it's physically-based.

Also, I battle on Wi-Fi, and although I do have a suitable Timid Rotom candidate, I didn't get a chance to get the Secret Key, so I really don't know how I can get access to the Rotom Formes...
MixPert boasts good coverage. Well the main reason behind is that Ice Beam is a special move and it avoids Intimidate users. If you opt to make it physical - like Ice Punch, sometimes you miss the KO on Bulky Salamence. Overall, your intimidate prone, which could suck. Hippowdon and Gliscor are hurt more from Ice Beam than Ice Punch would, if you get what I'm saying. This team can still keep a good tempo even if Swampert stays defensive, its main role is to check DD Tyranitar. The team is still quite fast-paced so dont worry about it

MixPert boasts good coverage. Well the main reason behind is that Ice Beam is a special move and it avoids Intimidate users. If you opt to make it physical - like Ice Punch, sometimes you miss the KO on Bulky Salamence. Overall, your intimidate prone, which could suck. Hippowdon and Gliscor are hurt more from Ice Beam than Ice Punch would, if you get what I'm saying. This team can still keep a good tempo even if Swampert stays defensive, its main role is to check DD Tyranitar. The team is still quite fast-paced so dont worry about it
Took your advice and got myself a good MixPert with Max HP and Def EVs and IVs. Now the issue is Rotom. Anyway to fix my SD Luke weakness without swapping Gengar with it?

franky

Now that its Wi-fi (sorry I'm too late), I would keep Gengar, but just don't switch him in recklessly. Use great prediction and dont slip on a SD Lucario Crunch which can potentially KO you. Sucks that it has to be wifi, if you ever get your hands on Rotom form, defenitley go for my suggestion.

Now that its Wi-fi (sorry I'm too late), I would keep Gengar, but just don't switch him in recklessly. Use great prediction and dont slip on a SD Lucario Crunch which can potentially KO you. Sucks that it has to be wifi, if you ever get your hands on Rotom form, defenitley go for my suggestion.
Unfortunately, I missed the event, so there's no way of obtaining the Secret Key via legitimate (as in, without the use of an Action Replay) means until they release another event. I'm probably going to use Hidden Power Fire > Ice for more reliable in hitting Lukes, and Scizors as well. Yeah, it sucks though, if I'm locked in a move then it essentially seals Gengar's fate. What I was thinking about though is using a standard Life Orb Gengar, except with a Focus Sash instead of a Life Orb. It's essentially the same as a Choice Scarfed variant (same power leve), minus the speed, except I have freedom to switch moves. If Scizor and TTar / Weavile switch in threatening a Pursuit / Bullet Punch or whatever, I can easily live the hit, and respond with an HP Fire or Focus Blast respectively. Focus Sash also helps to fake a Choice Scarf, so these pokemon will be dying to switch into Gengar. The problem with this kind of Gengar though is residual damage. And my Swampert lead can't do anything to stop Stealth Rock from being set up, so my Anti-Lead Weavile may have been a better option. Another useful poke that I could consider is Lead Gliscor with Taunt.

Whereas I still can KO TTar with my Sash broken, Weavile outspeeds and KOs me, and if Scizor decides to Bullet Punch, then I'm defenseless as well.

franky

I just think Swampert is a better fit to stopping DD Tyranitar cold. You could paly around with Taunt Gliscor if you want, but you need to tweak the EVs so you could survive a +1 Crunch from Tyranitar and KO it with Earthquake. I assume its Taunt / Stealth Rock / Earthquake / U-turn? Well anyways back to Gengar, you never want to slap Focus Sash in the middle of the game without any Rapid Spinners, even then that would be a bad idea. Just give Life Orb a go, I guess, it wouldn't be that big of a deal since Gyarados can't set up much on the team. But I will stick to Swampert being the lead, but then again you could try your taunt gliscor and see how it works well for you.

I just think Swampert is a better fit to stopping DD Tyranitar cold. You could paly around with Taunt Gliscor if you want, but you need to tweak the EVs so you could survive a +1 Crunch from Tyranitar and KO it with Earthquake. I assume its Taunt / Stealth Rock / Earthquake / U-turn? Well anyways back to Gengar, you never want to slap Focus Sash in the middle of the game without any Rapid Spinners, even then that would be a bad idea. Just give Life Orb a go, I guess, it wouldn't be that big of a deal since Gyarados can't set up much on the team. But I will stick to Swampert being the lead, but then again you could try your taunt gliscor and see how it works well for you.
Yeah I decided to stay with Swampert. Gliscor may be able to stop set ups, but in order to outspeed particular pokes it needs to invest a lot in speed, which is bad considering then it loses defense investment.

Anyone else have anything to say? =O

See the thing about this is, you have Pursuit bait, correct? Your Pursuit bait are the checks to the things that counter your Lucario after you use SD. For instance, Gyarados. Who then proceeds to kill your Lucario. In all this, it means that they just went 2-0 over you with nothing to show for it. Here's a subtle change, use Stone Edge. Kill Gyarados outright. Heatran can switch into Rotom fine most of the time as it is anyways.

TBH I don't even like Kingdra. I'd so much rather just go for Swampert as a last poke Cursepert or something, or even a regular SR laying set. You have to have something that closely resembles an Agility Metagross counter. Having Swampert around (if you opted for mix+Roar) could also allow you to take away Scarf on Gengar, meaning that if Scizor wants to Pursuit, you do have the option of using Hidden Power Fire and not losing anything at all...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)