Moveset Name: Solution to Wobbuffet?
Move 1: Imprison
Move 2: Counter
Move 3: Shadow Sneak/Punch
Move 4: Earthquake/Mean Look/Filler
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Nature(s): Impish
EVs: Ordered 252/168/Def/SpA/44/44 (Your choice)

Basic idea is to shut down Wobbuffet. Imprison, and then attack it away. Counter is to stop Wob from using it, as well as taking down any threats thrown your way. Go with Shadow Sneak if you want to hit first, and Shadow Punch if you prefer to hit a bit harder. Last move can be any move you choose. Earthquake to stop users from hitting you. Mean Look can stop Wob from running away when it knows it's done. Don't like either of the choices? Run with whatever you want.
A couple of problems. Firstly, you can't switch in to Wobbuffet so he's still going to do his job. Secondly, Wobbuffet can Encore Imprison, essentially screwing Dusknoir while Wob switches to something that can now set up since you must switch unless what they bring in has Earthquake or something.

Shadow Sneak in Ubers can be a good thing though.

A couple of problems. Firstly, you can't switch in to Wobbuffet so he's still going to do his job. Secondly, Wobbuffet can Encore Imprison, essentially screwing Dusknoir while Wob switches to something that can now set up since you must switch unless what they bring in has Earthquake or something.

Shadow Sneak in Ubers can be a good thing though.
Also, Dusknoir is already immune to Counter by virtue of being a ghost. Imprisoning Counter will serve no purpose except wasting your turn.

Haven't seen a Jolteon like this here or even in the analysis, so I'll post it here.

Pokemon : Jolteon
Moveset Name : [SubJolteon]
Move 1: Thunderbolt
Move 2: Shadow Ball / (Signal Beam)
Move 3: Substitute
Move 4: Hidden Power [Ice]
Item: Expert Belt / Leftovers / Peteya Berry
Ability: Volt Absorb
Nature(s): Timid
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe (If using Leftovers or Expert Belt) or 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe (If using Peteya Berry)

(beforehand, Moveset is in no particular order, it's in the order that my Pokemon has on my game xD)

This is probably the most effective Jolteon set I've seen, I've been using it ever since D/P Metagame and have never looked back. As I've noticed, things tend to run when Jolteon can outspeed and possibly OHKO it, leaving ample (and reletively safe) prediction to bring a Substitute there. From there, it's all a matter of doing damage to your opponent. Thunderbolt and HP[Ice] form a psuedo Boltbeam while HP[Ice] and Ghost tend to compliment Thunderbolt very well and as far as I can tell, I don't think anything can resist Electric / Ghost / Ice (if I'm wrong, lemme know).

As for items, Expert Belt is there to mimic the damage output of Choice Specs, without locking yourself into a move. Leftovers is there if you want a little recovery to sub more. Peteya turns this set into a stronger version of Froslass's SubPeteya set, with higher speed and damage output, but without the innate avoidance of troublesome priority attacks. The EVs are recommended based on the item, first one (given you have a 31 IV in HP) giving maximum Lefties recovery (272 divides by 16) and allowing 4 subs without recovery, while the other should activate Peteya on the third sub.

Also, tl;dr, long time lurker, recent poster onto Smogon, ever since D/P the Pokemon Metagame and growth has seen the greatest improvement that has plagued the previous generations (Access to battling Online), I've enjoyed it a LOT and I'm working towards improving my team IRL via testing on Shoddy. Hope to have many good challenges!

I can see that working with those with poor prediction skills. Jolteon usually likes the substitute against something that would KO it, but many things that would KO Jolteon after the switch are usually bulky enough to withstand an unboosted Thunderbolt. Magnezone is the only pokemon whom resists all three.

The SubJolten set doesn't support its team as well as the normal Sub Passer does. Jolteon won't be the main sweeper for the team because it can't stat-boost. The extra coverage offered by Shadow Ball would be less useful to the goal of getting the main sweeper to sweep than Baton Pass would be because unless Shadow Ball is critical to the removal of one threat to the sweeper, getting your main sweeper in undamaged goes further toward allowing it to sweep. Most good teams wouldn't use a main sweeper that is countered by something only slightly checked by the rest of the team.

Raj

CAP Playtesting Expert
Hmmm, I'd just like to point out a few things here guys. I've read through these threads since Mk. 1. and rarely post sets of my own, but spend time testing the stuff that gets posted here. Lately, however, this particular attempt at a successful thread has turned to mush. Sets already in the analysis are being repeated. People are posting theorymon without having tested in the first place.. Most of the stuff here is garbage now. It's not an accident that this thread was once a 5 star thread, then a 4, and most recently- a 2 star thread.

Saying that, some of this stuff is gold, and although it may not be the best option, there are some original alternatives that catch the eye (Cost's Latias, Riverside's Delibird). I guess what I'm saying is that alot of people aren't giving this any thought as they ought to. Can we try to clean this up somewhat?

I searched many pokes which can try this set ( which i made in Netbattle, RSE days),but he's really the only one who can have those 4 moves together... so let's go.

Quagsire @ Leftovers

252 hp/128 def/128 sp.def
Bold/Impish/Calm/Careful

Yawn
Seismic Toss
Stockpile
Rest

This set is good if you have any ways to dispose of ghosts (Tyranitar or Weavile in OU, or any good pursuit user in UU). Any help from residual damage is great (especially Toxic Spikes).Just Yawn whatever switches in, Stockpile a little. If your enemy stays, good for you. If someone switches out, even better.
Tested it, and it's one annoying poke for sure.

Just beware of grass pokes, taunters and something else i can't remember...

I don't know and i don't care about placing evs effectively, so feel free to modify it.

I wished to find someone immune to poison with a:
recovery move
Yawn,
stockpile/cosmic power
set attack(Seismic Toss/Night Shade)

the closest i found was Swalot... but it can't use any set attack and it doesn't have a recovery move outside Rest( no, Pain Split on something with 100 base HP is just dumb)... even with Rest, to me it was fine. Oh well... Quagsire is just fine.

Tangrowth is vastly underestimated in OU, here's a moveset adapted to the changes in Platinum.

Moveset Name: Wallgrowth (anyone suggesting a better name?)
Move 1: Leech Seed
Move 2: Sleep Powder/Stun Spore
Move 3: Reflect/Earthquake/HP Fire/Ice
Move 4: Power Whip
Ability: Chlorophyll
Nature(s): Impish or Relaxed if using Hidden Power
EVs: 252 HP/20 Atk/236 Def

This set is basically a generic wall capable of countering a lot of the physical threats in Platinum. Tangrowth stops all Gyarados sets. A LO Max Atk Gyarados will do only a maximum 36.6% damage before a dragon dance with Ice Fang. Also, A SD LO Close Combat from Lucario will only 1KO 28.21% of the time. However, there are better Lucario counters. Tyranitar will not 1KO with a DD LO Fire Punch while Tangrowth 1KO's with Power Whip. Metagross can't do squat against Tangrowth other than Explode.

Tangrowth's first move is some form of recovery. Ultimately, Leech Seed is going to be Tangrowth's main form of recovery with all the Tyranitars running rampant. However, Synthesis and Morning Sun can restore a good chunk of HP is you have a Sunny Day user on your team.

It's second move is either Sleep Powder or Stun Spore. Sleep can completely shut down one pokemon, but Paralysis is helpful if there already is a sleep inducer on your team.

Power Whip is Tangrowth's main form of dishing out damage. Base 120 Power plus STAB hurts.

The third move mostly just depends on your team. Earthquake is your response to Lucario and can surprise fire types like Heatran that switch in on Tangrowth. Reflect raises Tangrowths defense to obscene levels and can support the rest of your team. Hidden Power Fire and Ice is there for Grass types that want to take advantage of their immunity to Leech Seed and has good coverage on other types.

The EV's give Tangrowth Max HP and one extra point in Def. The rest is put in attack.

Hmmm, I'd just like to point out a few things here guys. I've read through these threads since Mk. 1. and rarely post sets of my own, but spend time testing the stuff that gets posted here. Lately, however, this particular attempt at a successful thread has turned to mush. Sets already in the analysis are being repeated. People are posting theorymon without having tested in the first place.. Most of the stuff here is garbage now. It's not an accident that this thread was once a 5 star thread, then a 4, and most recently- a 2 star thread.

Saying that, some of this stuff is gold, and although it may not be the best option, there are some original alternatives that catch the eye (Cost's Latias, Riverside's Delibird). I guess what I'm saying is that alot of people aren't giving this any thought as they ought to. Can we try to clean this up somewhat?
I second this

Heres something I used back in advance.

@ life orb
52 hp, 64 att, 20 spe, 252 sp. att, 120 sp. def
Quiet

Substitute
Focus Punch
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam/Dragon Claw/Dragon Pulse/Roost

Stallbreaker and skarmbliss counter. The last slot may seem odd. Ice beam completes boltbeam coverage, but is mostly used for hippodown making it the superior option against pure stall. You also have your generic physical or speciel stab. Since they hit dragons and and t-bolt hits flyers, so it's probably best against offensive teams who won't often carry grounds besides flygon. Roost is also usable if you don't have rapid sin support, since between stealth rock and substitute he won't last long, making it best against balanced teams.
The EVs may seem wierd, but this set is incredibly difficult to create EVs for, and I just decided to use the advance ones, so i have no idea what they do. but they can be adjusted to fit your team needs. If someone could help me with the EVs, I will be very happy. I will edit with calcs soon.

The EVs look random. What does 20 spe do? What does 52 HP / 120 SpD do? You didn't mention an item either.

sub punch dragonite has been discussed a thousand times already; it's OO material and it'll stay like that :)

Caution this is a somewhat long post

I've got a few unusual sets that have been working in OU for some time now
and they are crazy but my team which holds its own against most other OU teams and these are the big stars of my team.

Before I get to anything else let me explain what a metronome does every time you use the same attack consecutively the power of the move gets stronger and unlike CB you can pull out of that move at any time and use a move better for the situation

now to the move sets

Annoying jirachi

Jirachi @ Adamant nature (+ atk -sp. atk )Metronome choice item not the best idea but a scarf could work, but you would be retreating more often. an expert belt however would work with minimum drawback

I am not the best at EV spreads but here it is
Ev's: 60 HP/176 Atk/76 def/ 136spd/ 76 Sp. def. This ev set gives jirachi an offensive lean with strong attacks but allows some hits to be taken too with def and sp def of 255 the ev's are tinkerable and you can put them they way you want keep in mind this thing is supposed to annoy

Moveset:
Body slam
Iron head
Wish
Fire punch

Body slam is used to paralyze ting thanks to serene grace giving it a 60%

chance iron head flinches pokes 60% of the time thanks to serene grace

wish is a nice recovery move, and fire punch is for type coverage any steel

that runs in to it. those steels will

have a little surprise coming. This thing has single-handedly won me

battles by paralysis and then spamming iron head however against things

resistant to iron head I spam body slam. This is going to catch people by

surprise and does not look as dominant as it has been for me.

heatran is the only real counter to this thing so when it sees one I call it

back. and kingdra/swampert jumps in

I also have another pokemon that has put my name back on the map lucario

How did lucario put me back ont the map you ask by being able to be a great mixed sweeper

Lucario@ Naive nature ( +Spd -sp def) (+Spd -Def) also works
Focus sash (Usually broken by rocks)/ Metronome/Lum berry/ (risky) Choice Scarf

Ev's: 80 HP/ 176 atk/ 116 Spd/ 136 sp. Atk

personally I prefer to gaurd for siesmic toss at 301 hp but some of those ev's could be moved to speed if you like it a little bit faster It has a 300 attack (both physical and special) with a non boosting nature and has the movepool to back it up

-Blaze kick
-shadow ball
-aura sphere
-close combat

Close combat is what i normally use to kill things. however aura sphere is a

souped up never miss fighting attack that should works on anything that

has a high physical defense (Rocks Steels Tangrowths (insert high defence

average special defence pokemon here) Bulk uppers) Skarmory i'm looking at

you ... yes it even works better than blaze kick it is a 3hko on skarmory

unless rng screwed + leftovers. The StaB on both sides to prevents it from

being walled more easily. Shadow ball works to combat any psychic or

ghost not named CResselia and/or dusknoir (seems like they have gone the

way of the dodo on shoddy). Back on topic blaze kick for CM Celebi or all

other grass types barring tangrowth. This has formidable power on both

the physical and special side however it got two issues A it is extremely

fragile despite it's resistances and B mine only has a 269 speed and being

outsped could cause a minor problem due to its frailty. This why I said

choice scarf may work. This is a good revenge killer that wreaks havoc And

can deal with defenses on both sides but not most mixed tanks it can't hit

super-effectively. Be careful It is FRAGILE and will faint pretty easily even

to things it resists except rock and dark which it doubly resists.

Counters most ground/fighting/fire attacks will 1hko or 2hko you CM

Cresselias can be really annoyng if you do not get to them quickly enough.

Weezings will also cause issues for this lucario because it with leftovers

could live for 5 or 6 turns v. this lucario anything faster with a move

that is normal or super effective against lucario will cripple this lucario's hp.

Shadow ball will either 3hko or 4hko dusknoir so that need not be worried

about.

Think about these movesets they saved me from quitting shoddybattle

nearly permanently.

Caution this is a somewhat long post

I've got a few unusual sets that have been working in OU for some time now
and they are crazy but my team which holds its own against most other OU teams and these are the big stars of my team.

Before I get to anything else let me explain what a metronome does every time you use the same attack consecutively the power of the move gets stronger and unlike CB you can pull out of that move at any time and use a move better for the situation

now to the move sets

(etc. etc.)
uh you don't need to space so much

everything looks generally outclassed / completely random, including evs

look around for the proper format :)

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm not sure if this has come up or not, but here's one:

Moveset Name: Stall (Quick to the point name)
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252HP, 104 Spe, 152 SpD
Nature: Modest/Timid
Moves:
Toxic
Light Screen
Fire Blast
Roost

Here's a stalling Togekiss, and works similarly to the Toxic set for Ho-Oh in Ubers. Toxic will be the main form of damage, and Light Screen with that Badass Special Defense would mean Togekiss is untouchable from that side. Physical attackers and Steel types are greeted with Fire Blast, physical attackers risking getting burnt from the 60% chance with Serene Grace, and Steel types would get a big chunk of their health taken off. Obviously, Roost is there to keep you healthy.

Moves:
Toxic
Light Screen
Fire Blast
Roost

Here's a stalling Togekiss, and works similarly to the Toxic set for Ho-Oh in Ubers. Toxic will be the main form of damage, and Light Screen with that Badass Special Defense would mean Togekiss is untouchable from that side. Physical attackers and Steel types are greeted with Fire Blast, physical attackers risking getting burnt from the 60% chance with Serene Grace, and Steel types would get a big chunk of their health taken off. Obviously, Roost is there to keep you healthy.
What's the point of Toxic stalling? When Togekiss has access to Nasty Plot, I can't imagine Toxic would deal more damage. If you can outstall something with Toxic, I guarantee that you would have been able to get +6 against them with Nasty Plot. And with +6 Sp. Atk, I think you can sweep much better than Toxic stalling.

Now, onto the actual set. Why have Fire Blast as your only attacking move? Sure it can burn physical attackers. But against Powerful opponents like CB Tyranitar, it won't stand a chance. I think it's always generally good to have STAB. Plus, Fire Blast has only 8 PP, which can easily run out when Toxic Stalling. And what's with the nature? Why not run Calm instead?

Anyways, I'm seriously with Cost and Dragonites that people should start posting better sets. If, a five star thread becomes a two star thread, I don't think that's a very good sign.

Edit: Panamaxis makes a good point. On something as Specially Defensive as Togekiss, you would want physical bulk more than Special.

panamaxis

how many seconds in eternity?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I would prefer reflect on that togekiss as it needs the extra physical bulk more then special.

Moves:
Toxic
Light Screen
Fire Blast
Roost

Reflect is better over light screen since your spD is already great.

It's a nice idea, but don't let it be outclassed by other toxic stallers. Could you explain the speed evs?

Fire blast is probably not the attack of choice; air slash is probably better. Your nature(s) do not compliment this togekiss at all.

edit: darn you panamaxis

uh you don't need to space so much

everything looks generally outclassed / completely random, including evs

look around for the proper format :)
A. I was trying to make it appealing to the eyes and I Can get a little long winded and decided to explain everything. That ruined the format but I tried my best to stick to it sorry that took up so much space and "did not follow the proper format

B. it was not intended to be random especially not lucario's Ev's 80 hp ev's gives it 301 hp to live through 4 seismic tosses I wanted to make sure it had a 300 attack on both sides so those are the ev's needed for attacks of 300 on both sides and threw everything else into speed including the nature
I'm not going to argue with the assesment of my jirachi ev's as I wanted offense but did not want the defense to fall too low hence the spread. I've never been good with ev's but anyone can take liberty and make ev's how they want them I don't care i was just getting these out there.

C these are part of a whole team of original pokemon that I Came up with. If you saw the whole team you would get it

These pokemon are assigned to a specific role on that team jirachi is my go to pokemon

Should I have posted all of the sets because my team has a whole load of original sets except 1 Swampert. These sets make perfect sense in context of my team. I do appreciate your critical evaluation

A. I was trying to make it appealing to the eyes and I Can get a little long winded and decided to explain everything. That ruined the format but I tried my best to stick to it sorry that took up so much space and "did not follow the proper format

B. it was not intended to be random especially not lucario's Ev's 80 hp ev's gives it 301 hp to live through 4 seismic tosses I wanted to make sure it had a 300 attack on both sides so those are the ev's needed for attacks of 300 on both sides and threw everything else into speed including the nature
I'm not going to argue with the assesment of my jirachi ev's as I wanted offense but did not want the defense to fall too low hence the spread. I've never been good with ev's but anyone can take liberty and make ev's how they want them I don't care i was just getting these out there.

C these are part of a whole team of original pokemon that I Came up with. If you saw the whole team you would get it

These pokemon are assigned to a specific role on that team jirachi is my go to pokemon

Should I have posted all of the sets because my team has a whole load of original sets except 1 Swampert. These sets make perfect sense in context of my team. I do appreciate your critical evaluation
Lucario doesn't need to be able to survive three Seismis Tosses. Nobody would switch Blissey into Lucario or be able to Seismic Toss three times with it. You said that the EVs were not arbitrary, but 300 in each attacking stat is very arbitrary. Does having 300 in each attacking stat give you any important KOs? I doubt it. Just choosing a stat to reach based on whether it's a "nice number" or not isn't a good strategy. And do the Speed EVs specifically make Lucario outrun an important Pokemon by one point? No. Unless you use Speed EVs to outrun or tie certain things you're wasting the EVs. Lucario should always have 252 Speed EVs so that it can tie with other Lucario. Believe me, games are sometimes decided by Lucario versus Lucario speed ties.

The same goes for Jirachi. Make sure the EVs are not arbitrarily placed, but specifically tailored to outspeed, survive, or KO threatening Pokemon.

@hhjj, i dont think Jolteon would work as lead, i mean Metagross's Meteor Mash is way to powerful anyway, Swampert has Surf, Aerodactyl has Crunch or Stone Edge, really no point as lead >.>

uxie (lead/sweeper starter)
Moveset Name: hella annoying
Move 1: stealth rock
Move 2: thunder wave
Move 3: substitute
Move 4: psychic
Item: leftovers
Ability: levitate
Nature(s): bold
EVs: Ordered 252 hp/252 def/4spdef

well he is a good lead cause he has solid defensive stats and can get a stealth rock up fast if you suspect your opponent to stealth rock just maybe throw up a sub and boom like the phazing begin, the high defense can make a sub a total b word to get throw. thunder wave helps set up for a sweep but i usually slow pokemon and possible give a free set up...

i really like this set what do you guy think

uxie (lead/sweeper starter)
Moveset Name: hella annoying
Move 1: stealth rock
Move 2: thunder wave
Move 3: substitute
Move 4: psychic
Item: leftovers
Ability: levitate
Nature(s): impish
EVs: Ordered 252 hp/252 def/4spdef

well he is a good lead cause he has solid defensive stats and can get a stealth rock up fast if you suspect your opponent to stealth rock just maybe throw up a sub and boom like the phazing begin, the high defense can make a sub a total b word to get throw. thunder wave helps set up for a sweep but i usually slow pokemon and possible give a free set up...

i really like this set what do you guy think
The nature should be Bold, not Impish. Impish lowers Special Attack whereas Bold lowers Attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)