New OU team, advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spent almost a week making this team, and I'm pretty sure its not perfect, so advice please?

Bronzong@leftovers[LEAD]
Levitate

Sassy 252 hp/86 atk/80 def/92 spd
Gyro ball
Earthquake
Stealth rock
Hypnosis

The classic bronzong lead. With 0 speed IVs, gyro ball is a very powerful attack. Earthquake deals with things that resist steel. Stealth rock for support, and hypnosis to deal with pesky leads. bronzong makes a good lead due to it's many resistances, immunity to ground, and one weakness to fire. This basically sets up the game for me.
Heracross@Choice Band
Guts
Adamant 104 hp/252 atk/152 spe
Megahorn
Close Combat
Stone Edge
Pursuit

Heracross deals with early/mid game attacking, and revenge kills. Has dual STAB with moves of a base power of 120. Stone edge for coverage and pursuit to deal with psychics/ghost and runners.

Metagross@Life orb
Clear Body

Adamant 152 hp/252 atk/104 spe
Meteor Mash
Earthquake
Agility
Thunderpunch

Agilitygross. Does a good job of mid/late game sweeping. Agility makes it faster than just about everything, and the meteor mash STAB+life orb kills just about everything, earthquake is for coverage, and thunderpunch in case of skarmory.

Togekiss@Leftovers
Serene Grace

Calm 252 hp/252 spd/6def
Thunder Wave
Air Slash
Roost
Aura Sphere

I use togekiss after bronzong has set up. It takes out early threats for me with thunder wave, and with air slash having a 60% flinch rate. Has a recovery move that also gets rid of it's ice and electric weakness. Aura sphere for coverage.

Starmie@Choice scarf
Natural Cure

Modest 252 spa/252 spe/6 hp
Surf
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam
Grass knot

My special attacker. Provides lots of coverage. Surf for a STAB move, and boltbeam is the ultimate coverage combo. Choice scarf so it can outrun things, and a modest nature for sp atk power. It also revenge kills, which works well with it's ability, so switching out is good.

Salamence@Life orb
Intimidate

Adamant 252 atk/252 spe/6 hp
Dragon Dance
Outrage
Earthquake
Dragon Claw

My late game trump card. After all the threats have been taken out, Salamence comes in with dragon dance and kills everything remaining with outrage. Earthquake provides coverage, and dragon claw gives me a STAB move in case I want to use it earlier in the game.

Overall, my team strategy is to take out threats as early in the game as possible, and then pull out salamence to win the game for me. I do realize I have three pokemon weak to ice, but I also have three that resist ice to counter that. Besides, I shouldn't have to worry too much about ice, because I have decent counters for it, and my strategy is to take out threats. Advice please?

I don't fully rate teams, but I can help you. Use Choice Scarf over Choice Band for more speed, and you'll be able to out speed quite a lot. Your lead is going to have problems with the current metagame. With many people using SR leads with Lum Berry, Hypnosis is going downhill in terms of usage. But, if it works for you, then by all means, use it. Agligross is a total beast. Able to sweep effectively after his counters are gone ensures that you win the game. Starmie is my only worry. It looks very defenseless, and after it's gone, you're only way to stop Ice Attacks is with Metagross and Zong, Zong will most likely die in the early game. Gross will be revealed if you use it to stop Ice moves, but then it means that you're foced to Agility, because he'll find a counter, and probably want to out speed it. I highly recommend you change Scarf to either Specs or Life Orb, if you use Life Orb, use recover and replace Ice Beam or even Grass Knot. Due to Starmie being frail, Ice Shards and Punchs are going to eventually wear down Starmie. Salamence is ok where he is. Nothing much to say about him. The only thing I recommend is that you don't reveal him early in the match as your opponent will keep his Salamence counter deep inside his team and you'll be screwed when he uses Shard against you late game.

Bloo

Banned deucer.
On Bronzong, I suggest replacing Hypnosis with Trick. Hypnosis is very unreliable due to its 60% accuracy. With Trick, Bronzong is able to cripple opposing walls such as Skarmory who think they can just come and freely set up only to get a suprise in Trick. If you want to use Trick, the best item choice would be Macho Brace. You can Trick Macho Brace onto sweepers such as Infernape and Heatran who tend to switch in on Bronzong often. Infernape and Heatran will not like getting its speed reduced significantly due to the effects of Macho Brace. Macho Brace powers up Gyro Ball too, so that's another plus and with Macho Brace you can 2HKO Salamence. You could also use Explosion in the last slot if you prefer a last resort move to kill any troublesome Pokemon your opponent may have.

I would think about giving Heracross a Choice Scarf instead of a Choice Band. With a Choice Scarf, Heracross makes a better revenge killer than Starmie. If using a Choice Scarf, I would also change Heracross's EV spread to 252 Spe/252ATk/6HP. With an Adamant nature and Choice Scarf Heracross reaches a Speed stat of 403 and an Attack stat of 383. With 403 Speed, Heracross outspeeds speedy Pokemon such as Starmie allowing you to kill it with Megahorn or catch it fleeing with Pursuit, Salamence before a DD allowing you to hit Mence hard with Stone Edge, Gengar without a Scarf allowing you to destroy it with Pursuit even if it decides to stay in and various other Pokemon.

If you decide to give Heracross a Choice Scarf, then I would think about making Starmie bulkier. Making Starmie bulkier will help you combat Salamence and Gyarados better. I would use the following Starmie set:

Starmie @ Leftovers
Nature: Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
EV's: 156 HP / 136 Def / 216 Spe
Ability: Natural Cure
- Surf
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

This Starmie can take a +1 LO Gyarados Earthquake / Stone Edge after SR damage and OHKO back with Thunderbolt. It provides Rapid Spin support for your team, giving Salamence more opportunity to switch in. Starmie can also serve as a pseudo cleaner up of sorts with its high speed and ability to recover itself of both damage and status. The Timid nature allows Starmie to reach a Speed stat of 352 outrunning Timid max speed non Scarfed Gengar by two points and also outspeeding Infernape, allowing you to damage them before they damage you.

Lastly, on Salamence, I suggest running Fire Blast over Dragon Claw. Fire Blast allows Salamence to OHKO Skarmory and Forretress who other wise wall your current set. If using Fire Blast, I would use an EV spread of 232 Atk / 24 SpA / 252 Spe with a Naive Nature. The small Special Attack investment allows Salamence to always OHKO a full health maximum HP, minimum Special Defense Impish Skarmory while maintaining a high Attack stat. The speed boosting nature given from Naive allows Salamence to outspeed Modest Scarfed Gengar, Jolly Scarfed Lucario and allows Salamence to tie with Scarfed Zapdos, Scarfed Jirachi and even other Salamence.

TAY

You and I Know
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This thread is now locked under rule 3:
3. Have some actual words in your post beyond your six Pokemon and their moves. Not following this makes your post quite boring to read and rate. All Pokemon should have a good reason for being in your team anyway, so why not post that reason? If you're having trouble with this one, start by giving an explanation for each team member. Why are they there? What role do they serve? How do you get them in? Then, give an explanation of how you would open with the team and how you would go about using it. All of these things help people rate your team and allow us to offer more helpful advice.

This does not mean add one sentence saying "Standard x" or "all-around awesome" after each Pokemon. If you put thought into making the team, you can put thought into posting it.
No need to tell everyone the effects or your Pokemon's moves. We already know.

If you fix this up then PM me and I will unlock this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)