New Team

Hey I used to play but now i'm back since B&W came out, I had an incredible IV Gen team, and with V I wanted to update it. I'm somewhat out of the loop on new meta threats and considering how intricate and vastly changing pokemons meta is you can consider this a Beginner's OU..

Hydreigon
@Choice Scarf NEW
EV: 4 HP 252 SATK 252 SPE
Timid (+SPE,-ATK)
Ability: Levitate
-Draco Meteor
-Flamethrower
-U-Turn
-Focus Blast

-Right off I don't like the dragon typing and how anti meta it is but its a solid lead, speeds out anything you need it to while dealing good damage with great coverage. The basics on this lead are real obvious.

Gyarados
@Choice Band
EV: 72 HP 252 ATK 184 SPE
Adamant (+ATK,-SATK)
Ability: Intimidate
-Waterfall
-Ice Fang
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake

-Out of the several sets I've tested Choice Band Gyarados always had the superior performance to any others commonly ran. Gyarados gives me the much needed synergy and power to protect my team. Since I'm running Ice Beam on Cresselia I decided to run EQ on Gyarados, however, I could switch it all around it's extremely subjective to your comments. Not much to say here, standard set, I would really appreciate what your thoughts are on it's moveset, whereas the EV's and item are more stable in my mind.

What I would like to hear: I havn't checked my teams synergy all in all, This sets EQ is subjective, how should I alter my teams coverage?

Heatran
@Baloon
Timid (+SPE,-ATK)
Ability: Flash Fire
-Stealth Rock
-Fire Blast
-Earth Power
-Hidden Power Grass NEW

-MY Heatran is used as my co-lead, hes got anything covered that Machamp can't handle. Setting up Stealth Rock is always a blast, while still keeping a decent synergenic movepool. Gyarados also works with him to take out any major threats Heatran might have. Don't get me wrong, I love exploding on stuff and putting dents in stuff and junk but I feel as if Hidden Power might better suit the set. All in all, I agree with the placement of Heatran as it feels as an extremely solid choice.

What I would like to hear: Explosion, your opinions. anything else you might consider.

Dragonite
@Leftovers
EV: 252 HP 52 ATK 204 SPE
Adamant (+ATK,-SATK)
Ability: MultiScale
-Dragon Dance
-Dragon Claw
-Fire Punch NEW
-Roost

-I ran the same set back in GEN IV and when I came back my Dragonite had a new ability that made me happy = ] Roost not only improves the endurance of this set but is also able to abuse MultiScale. I've had much better success with a bulky set than any other commonly used set out there by far. Dragon Claw was the obvious choice for STAB complimenting it's endurance while EQ gives it better coverage. I was considering running Fire Punch over DD, but since I also run Light Screen Cresselia it made more sense to run DD to punch holes in whatever I want despite it's typing. Also, by running a less selective set it helps not only improve the longevity of the build but its various applicability as well. As far as I can tell my EV spread seems to compliment the set as I wanted to dump a minimum of 52EVs into ATK. Overall, this set has always been my focus and always will.

What I would like to hear: Nothing really, possible EV spread changes, any comments are welcome.

Cresselia
@Light Clay
EV: 252 HP 160 DEF 96 SDEF
Bold (+DEF,-ATK)
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Lunar Dance
-Ice Beam

The Decision: Yes, a Dual Screener. At heart, this is just preference, as there is much objection to using her. However, for my team she is incredible support and extremely underrated. With defense stats that shake the Uber tier, faint weaknesses, and ground immunity, I can't imagine better support.

Usage: Mid-Late game setup for Dragonite or Volcarona.

EV: This is not standard, I set 96 SDEF and 160 DEF to give her a more versatile usage and keep her stable. The 252 HP is obvious.

Volcarona
@Focus Sash NEW
EV: 252 SATK 4SDEF 252 SPE
Timid (+SDEF,-ATK)
Ability: Swarm
-Quiver Dance
-Fire Blast NEW
-Bug Buzz
-Whirlwind NEW

-I can't find many solid sets for Volcarona, this is what i've got, but it's always subject to improvement, as I havn't used this set. It's ice resistance is nice for a switch out from dragonite if necessary along with it's other resistances. As listed I'm not sure which way to side on the Heat Wave v. Fiery Dance move, the increase is SATK is almost unnecessary due to Quiver Dance while Heat Wave is giving you the 30 extra power. I'm leaning more towards Heat Wave due to the low amount of HP in this set. The only presiding issue with Volcarona is it's weakeness to Stealth Rock, especially considering my lack of a Rapid Spinner. But dam, does it look fun, i'm trying to look towards a Special Sweeper. An original interesting new GEN set doesn't come along alot, i'd like to make it work.

What I would like to hear: Hidden Power was thrown in there with simple logic, what do you think is a solid moveset, and any item nature changes are extremely subjective at this point!

Overall> I'm looking for how my synergy piles up, and everything listed are the most of my concerns. EV spreads are always up for consideration. Thank you so much for reading, anything you can say is HIGHLY helpful,

i'm honestly craving advice!

Major Threats:

Tyranitar
Ferrothorn
Scizor
Gliscor
Latios
Rotom-W
Excadrill
Reuniclus
Heatran
Jirachi
Dragonite
Conkeldurr
Politoed
Gengar
Skarmory
Thundurus
Jellicent
Starmie
Volcarona
Haxorus
Genesect

First of, Gen. 5 is a different animal than Gen. 4. Let me give you a rundown of the biggest changes:

1. Ninetales and Politoed have been given Drought (summons infinite sunlight, like Sandstorm) and Drizzle (summons infinite rain) respectively, and both are in OU, so now every type of weather is available. As a side note, the use of both Drizzle and Swift Swim (doubles speed in rain) is banned.

2. The biggest threats that are introduced in Gen. 5 are:

2.1 Excadrill; a powerful Ground/Steel-type whose ability doubles his speed under Sandstorm. Generally runs: Swords Dance - Earthquake - Rock Slide - Return/X-Scissor. Counters: Gliscor - Skarmory - Bronzong - Hippowdon. Checks: powerfull priority from Conkeldurr (think Machamp, but more powerful and without No Guard) or Azumarill.

2.2 Reuniclus; a bulky and powerful but slow Psychic-type whose ability makes it immune te residual damage (weather, entry hazards, status, etc.) Generally runs: Calm Mind - Psyshock (uses SpA, attacks Def) - Focus Blast - Recover/Shadow Ball.

2.3 Thundurus; a powerful and fast Flying/Electric that usually abuses the rain Politoed brings to use Thunder. Might be banned soon. Generally runs: Nasty Plot - Thunder(bolt) - Focus Blast - HP Ice/Thunder Wave/Grass Knot.

2.n Also, Salamence, Lati@s, Deoxys (and forms), Mew are all usable in OU.

3. You can see the opponents team and pick your lead at the start of every match, so the use of a dedicated lead pokemon is usually not recommended.

First of, Gen. 5 is a different animal than Gen. 4. Let me give you a rundown of the biggest changes:

1. Ninetales and Politoed have been given Drought (summons infinite sunlight, like Sandstorm) and Drizzle (summons infinite rain) respectively, and both are in OU, so now every type of weather is available. As a side note, the use of both Drizzle and Swift Swim (doubles speed in rain) is banned.

2. The biggest threats that are introduced in Gen. 5 are:

2.1 Excadrill; a powerful Ground/Steel-type whose ability doubles his speed under Sandstorm. Generally runs: Swords Dance - Earthquake - Rock Slide - Return/X-Scissor. Counters: Gliscor - Skarmory - Bronzong - Hippowdon. Checks: powerfull priority from Conkeldurr (think Machamp, but more powerful and without No Guard) or Azumarill.

2.2 Reuniclus; a bulky and powerful but slow Psychic-type whose ability makes it immune te residual damage (weather, entry hazards, status, etc.) Generally runs: Calm Mind - Psyshock (uses SpA, attacks Def) - Focus Blast - Recover/Shadow Ball.

2.3 Thundurus; a powerful and fast Flying/Electric that usually abuses the rain Politoed brings to use Thunder. Might be banned soon. Generally runs: Nasty Plot - Thunder(bolt) - Focus Blast - HP Ice/Thunder Wave/Grass Knot.

2.n Also, Salamence, Lati@s, Deoxys (and forms), Mew are all usable in OU.

3. You can see the opponents team and pick your lead at the start of every match, so the use of a dedicated lead pokemon is usually not recommended.
Ugh, sounds like the game changed alot more than i'd thought. I hope it's more balanced this way. I could see alot of abuse on the weather.

1. Are you saying Conkeldurr is a more valuable to run over Machamp?

2. Thank you for giving me the run down, what would you advise I do to match the new changes?

Atimix, Payback looks like the weak link on gyara, I would run a lefties set, and replace payback with Dragon Dance. Same attack after a DD and more speeed, it's not that hard to set up do to Intimidate and gyara's bulk EV spread. I don't see what payback does, I mean Waterfall is more powerful after STAB.

Atimix, Payback looks like the weak link on gyara, I would run a lefties set, and replace payback with Dragon Dance. Same attack after a DD and more speeed, it's not that hard to set up do to Intimidate and gyara's bulk EV spread. I don't see what payback does, I mean Waterfall is more powerful after STAB.
Thank you for the advice. My only issue is if i run DD i'd take off Choice Band which would set 3 sweepers on my team with stat increasing moves. is that a good idea? If not, I could replace Payback with Ice Fang. I do agree with the point you made, it's solid.

Thank you for the advice. My only issue is if i run DD i'd take off Choice Band which would set 3 sweepers on my team with stat increasing moves. is that a good idea? If not, I could replace Payback with Ice Fang. I do agree with the point you made, it's solid.
That is a fair point, how about you keep the choice band, and replace payback, IDK, it seems not up to par with the rest of your moves.
What situations has it come through for you?

That is a fair point, how about you keep the choice band, and replace payback, IDK, it seems not up to par with the rest of your moves.
What situations has it come through for you?
Just the ability to switch in with power on something hassling me. If it's a not a bad idea to run 3 pokemon with setup moves i'd consider it, which is more of a question, i don't see it typically ran. i know DD Gyara is deadly.

Just the ability to switch in with power on something hassling me. If it's a not a bad idea to run 3 pokemon with setup moves i'd consider it, which is more of a question, i don't see it typically ran. i know DD Gyara is deadly.
DD Gyara is deadly, it has some advantages over Drago, I say run Ice Fang/Beam? instead, although DD would be my primary option.

Heya Atmix - shi, to answer your question, your lead spot should not be the same every time. You change it to what your opponent's predicted lead. Say... I run a Sandstorm team. Your opponent has a Conkeldurr. He's obviously thinking your going to lead with Tyranitar, so chose something to counter your opponent's counter. Get it? :3

What problems have you found with Machamp?
I've never had a problem with him, hes the perfect lead for me, in gen 4. he was built for that meta. Now in gen 5 i have to adhere to these kinds of leads (quote below describes it well).

Heya Atmix - shi, to answer your question, your lead spot should not be the same every time. You change it to what your opponent's predicted lead. Say... I run a Sandstorm team. Your opponent has a Conkeldurr. He's obviously thinking your going to lead with Tyranitar, so chose something to counter your opponent's counter. Get it? :3
Despite how strangely you said that, yea I figured that was the case. My issue is that I don't know what the typical leads are so I cannot counter them, let alone choose a solid lead for my team. thanks for the advice :D

I'm going to use Heatran as a solid Lead, I figured I should have another solid lead as well.

Does anyone have any suggestions on who I should choose to fill that role?

or just list some great sets with lead potential. That would help alot

Hey I used to play but now i'm back since B&W came out, I had an incredible IV Gen team, and with V I wanted to update it. I'm somewhat out of the loop on new meta threats and considering how intricate and vastly changing pokemons meta is you can consider this a Beginner's OU..

Hydreigon NEW
@Choice Specs
Modest (+SATK,-ATK)
-Draco Meteor
-Flamethrower
-U-Turn
-Focus Blast
You are running specs, and modest, it gets outspeed by stuff like terrakion galvantula & the lati twins, at least it has an easier time without garchomp.

-Right off I don't like the dragon typing and how anti meta it is but its a solid lead, speeds out anything you need it to while dealing good damage with great coverage. The basics on this lead are real obvious.

Gyarados
@Choice Band
EV: 72 HP 252 ATK 184 SPE
Adamant (+ATK,-SATK)
Ability: Intimidate
-Waterfall
-Ice Fang NEW
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake

-Out of the several sets I've tested Choice Band Gyarados always had the superior performance to any others commonly ran. Gyarados gives me the much needed synergy and power to protect my team. Since I'm running Ice Beam on Cresselia I decided to run EQ on Gyarados, however, I could switch it all around it's extremely subjective to your comments. Not much to say here, standard set, I would really appreciate what your thoughts are on it's moveset, whereas the EV's and item are more stable in my mind.

What I would like to hear: I havn't checked my teams synergy all in all, This sets EQ is subjective, how should I alter my teams coverage?

Heatran
@Baloon NEW
Timid (+SPE,-ATK)
Ability: Flash Fire
-Stealth Rock
-Fire Blast
-Earth Power
-Dragon Pulse
I suggest HP Grass over dpulse, because you have NO way of touching quagsire.
-MY Heatran is used as my co-lead, hes got anything covered that Machamp can't handle. Setting up Stealth Rock is always a blast, while still keeping a decent synergenic movepool. Gyarados also works with him to take out any major threats Heatran might have. Don't get me wrong, I love exploding on stuff and putting dents in stuff and junk but I feel as if Hidden Power might better suit the set. All in all, I agree with the placement of Heatran as it feels as an extremely solid choice.

What I would like to hear: Explosion, your opinions. anything else you might consider.

Dragonite
@Leftovers
EV: 252 HP 54 ATK 204 SPE
Adamant (+ATK,-SATK)
Ability: MultiScale
-Dragon Dance
-Dragon Claw
-Earthquake
-Roost
Run fire punch over EQ, gets more coverage against skarm & ferro.
-I ran the same set back in GEN IV and when I came back my Dragonite had a new ability that made me happy = ] Roost not only improves the endurance of this set but is also able to abuse MultiScale. I've had much better success with a bulky set than any other commonly used set out there by far. Dragon Claw was the obvious choice for STAB complimenting it's endurance while EQ gives it better coverage. I was considering running Fire Punch over DD, but since I also run Light Screen Cresselia it made more sense to run DD to punch holes in whatever I want despite it's typing. Also, by running a less selective set it helps not only improve the longevity of the build but its various applicability as well. As far as I can tell my EV spread seems to compliment the set as I wanted to dump a minimum of 52EVs into ATK. Overall, this set has always been my focus and always will.

What I would like to hear: Nothing really, possible EV spread changes, any comments are welcome.

Cresselia
@Light Clay
EV: 252 HP 160 DEF 96 SDEF
Bold (+DEF,-ATK)
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Lunar Dance
-Ice Beam NEW
Not a big fan of cress in OU. =/
-Standard DS Cresselia, the most subjective part of this set for me is Ice Beam. My logic behind choosing it over Thunder Wave and Physic is that it can help put dents in Dragons that would hurt Dragonite (The usual Sweeper I send in after LS and Reflect). However, again I do not know the meta and would understand if there is a better choice for this. Lunar Dance is obvious. The EV spread of this set has me a bit concerned as it was designed to thwart common threats, however, it seems to stack up. I really enjoy running this set, it's fun and takes some skill while keeping its strong competitive edge.

What I would like to hear: piss man, idk. is Ice Beam the most viable option???

Volcarona
@Chesto Berry NEW
EV: 160 HP 252 SATK 96 SPE
Modest (+SATK,-ATK)
Ability: Flame Body
-Quiver Dance
-Fire Blast NEW
-Bug Buzz
-Rest NEW
Use a sub swarm set. :D
-I can't find many solid sets for Volcarona, this is what i've got, but it's always subject to improvement, as I havn't used this set. It's ice resistance is nice for a switch out from dragonite if necessary along with it's other resistances. As listed I'm not sure which way to side on the Heat Wave v. Fiery Dance move, the increase is SATK is almost unnecessary due to Quiver Dance while Heat Wave is giving you the 30 extra power. I'm leaning more towards Heat Wave due to the low amount of HP in this set. The only presiding issue with Volcarona is it's weakeness to Stealth Rock, especially considering my lack of a Rapid Spinner. But dam, does it look fun, i'm trying to look towards a Special Sweeper. An original interesting new GEN set doesn't come along alot, i'd like to make it work.

What I would like to hear: Hidden Power was thrown in there with simple logic, what do you think is a solid moveset, and any item nature changes are extremely subjective at this point!

Overall> I'm looking for how my synergy piles up, and everything listed are the most of my concerns. EV spreads are always up for consideration. Thank you so much for reading, anything you can say is HIGHLY helpful,

i'm honestly craving advice!

Major Threats:

Tyranitar
Ferrothorn
Scizor
Gliscor
Latios
Rotom-W
Excadrill
Reuniclus
Heatran
Jirachi
Dragonite
Conkeldurr
Politoed
Gengar
Skarmory
Thundurus
Jellicent
Starmie
Volcarona
Haxorus
Genesect

Still not perfect, I think you should have a spinner, for dragonite and volcarona.
ANSWERS IN BOLD

Still not perfect, I think you should have a spinner, for dragonite and volcarona.
ANSWERS IN BOLD
I changed Hydreigon's nature to Timid.

Honestly, i'm not to focused on running Grass on Heatran just for 1 pokemon, but I am willing to change that move.

Running Fire Punch over EQ on Dragonite would seem to me to give it less coverage, or am i mistaken? I do want to run Fire Punch to hit genesect and scizor without switching out. However, i feel like i'd run without a DD and change up the EVs.

Cresselia ran amazing in gen 4, that's all i know.

I don't know what a swarm set is, i'll look it up and edit this when i do, but from all the Volcarona sets i've seen this seems to hold the most potential.

and yea, i'd like a rapid spinner :\

Use hp ice on heatran over dragon pulse, It hits the dragons x4 effective to ice even harder, really helpful for multiscale dragonite, I would put a spinner like hitmontop or donphan over cress because running volcarona without one is stupid.

I changed Hydreigon's nature to Timid. I fail.
Still outsped. lol SCARF IT
Honestly, i'm not to focused on running Grass on Heatran just for 1 pokemon, but I am willing to change that move.
You hit swampert and gastro harder, also it may seem like 1 pokemon, but a skilled quag player can 6-0 teams unprepared.
Running Fire Punch over EQ on Dragonite would seem to me to give it less coverage, or am i mistaken? I do want to run Fire Punch to hit genesect and scizor without switching out. However, i feel like i'd run without a DD and change up the EVs.
No DD is right. Fire punch is better, the only coverage you lose is heatran, who is not common anyways.

Cresselia ran amazing in gen 4, that's all i know.
This gen 5. Get with the times, buddy.
I don't know what a swarm set is, i'll look it up and edit this when i do, but from all the Volcarona sets i've seen this seems to hold the most potential.
Fine, I didn't really want to give my set away, your set will just take more work to execute.

and yea, i'd like a rapid spinner :\
Answers in bold.

Use hp ice on heatran over dragon pulse, It hits the dragons x4 effective to ice even harder, really helpful for multiscale dragonite, I would put a spinner like hitmontop or donphan over cress because running volcarona without one is stupid.
I've been told to use HP Grass, eventhough your case seems to be stronger. I would like a rapid spinner, I used to run a great starmie set, but that could never pull it's weight, ever. it was more to my advantage to just use another solid pokemon over it.

Answers in bold.
I changed Hydreigon's nature.

If I did take out cress i'd use HP ice, but i wanted to change Dpulse anyways and if HP grass is the way to go i will use it. thoughts on explosion? :\

I like the idea of switching out EQ for Fire Punch if the only coverage i'd be loosing is Heatran, is that really the case?

Gen 4 seemed more simple. Gen 5 is a whole new machine. but if you consider that people just counter counters and the entire meta is just a big wave of following what works why not be original? Either way i'm not for taking out cress.

I understand the idea of swarm now. I changed my set up a bit on volcarona a bit, whirlwind is going to change though, and possible the focus sash.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)