New to metagame; Any help appreciated

OK so I have never battled competitively before; But in the course of the last 2 years, Pokemon has made a resurgence at college so I'm picking it back up. I have studied Smogon for the past 3-4 weeks trying to understand all the details of the metagame so here is my attempt at a base team to work from. I acknowledge my naivetee regarding much of this stuff, so any criticism or help is greatly, greatly appreciated.

Ninjask@Focus Sash
-->Baton Pass
-->Protect
-->Substitute
-->Swords Dance
Nature: Impish
Ability: Speed Boost
EV Spread: 248 HP, 192 Def, 68 Speed

Defensively-oriented Ninjask for staying power (although it's still a suicide). I have read that many people believe Ninjask should be able to attack if the situation calls for it, but in my team I just want pure Baton-Passing speed boosts and SD's behind a Substitute if someone is foolish enough to let me set up. The primary receiver of these boosts will be Breloom, but I'm also hoping to potentially revenge switch-in Ninjask mid-game to set up a second set of boosts for another Sweeper if possible.

Breloom@Toxic Orb
-->Spore
-->Swords Dance
-->Focus Punch
-->Seed Bomb
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Poison Heal
EV Spread: 4 HP, 252 Attack, 252 Speed

BP-Receiver. After heavy investment in Speed EVs, and a couple speed boosts, Breloom's Spore will outspeed almost anything, even Scarfed opponents. Then I will utilize the opponent's sleep status to set up SD's or Focus Punch the switch. Pretty standard set for Breloom, minus the Substitute. I just dislike utilizing Sub strategies. Seed Bomb for coverage/stab. Due to its frailty, Breloom is also pretty much a suicide sweeper.

Bronzong@Light Clay
-->Reflect
-->Light Screen
-->Stealth Rock
-->Gyro Ball
Nature: Relaxed
Ability: Levitate
EV Spread: 252 HP, 152 Attack, 8 Defense, 96 SpD

Bronzong is my only true supporter on this team. With a Ninjask-Breloom suicide tandem to start off with, I hope to make a significant dent in the opponents team until I'm Taunted or otherwise incapacitated. Then Bronzong comes in to set up the Dual Screens and SR to create an entry hazard. Pretty straight forward; Scizor (next in my team) highly benefits from the Dual Screens, as does Ninjask if I am able to switch him back in for further Baton Passing after one of my Pokes faints.

Scizor@Leftovers
-->Swords Dance
-->Bullet Punch
-->Bug Bite
-->Superpower
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Technician
EV Spread: 252 HP, 40 Attack, 216 SpD

With the team I've built thus far, I figured Scizor needed a little more defensive investment for staying power. Scizor will switch in (hopefully) under Dual Screen support or via a Ninjask Baton Pass; SD to set up if I can pull it off. Then just abuse Technician with Bullet Punch to clean up Breloom's damage and Bug Bite and Superpower for further coverage. Preferably a late game sweeper.

Tyranitar@Expert Belt
-->Crunch
-->Earthquake
-->Ice Beam
-->Superpower
Nature: Naive
Ability: Sand Stream
EV Spread: 56 Attack, 252 SpA, 200 Speed

This is an interesting Tyranitar for me; on my team he actually is not a primary sweeper. Rather, he is primarily here to cover the weaknesses of the rest of my team for synergy (I have 3 bad fire weaknesses). He has plenty of sweeping power on his own, but I also like him at this spot due to his ability, Sand Stream. Bronzong and Scizor love playing in sand, and Starmie (next Poke) can also handle the residual damage pretty well. With very little entry hazards (just SR) or true Annoyers on this team, Sand Stream provides a little more residual damage in case I get stuck in a war of attrition with a Tanking team.

Starmie@Life Orb
-->Thunderbolt
-->Ice Beam
-->Rapid Spin
-->Recover
Nature: Timid
Ability: Natural Cure
EV Spread: 4 HP, 252 SpA, 252 Speed

Starmie, much like Tyranitar, is a great Special Sweeper in its own right but serves in a support role on this team. My team is very vulnerable to entry hazards due to heavy switching, so I knew I needed a Rapid Spinner. I also lacked any Special Bulk or Special Sweeping ability, and Starmie seemed to just fit perfectly right here. Standard BoltBeam combo for type coverage.

Welcome!

With Substitute and an insane speed stat, Ninjask doesn't need Protect unless you want to stack speed boosts quickly. X-Scissor may be more helpful; Ninjask won't be completely shut down by Taunt and he would be able to actually do something if he's one of your last surviving Pokemon. You might want to take a look at his analysis page for the recommended EVs/nature if you decide to use X-Scissor.

For Breloom, you should look into replacing Focus Punch with Mach Punch. You say that you can use either Swords Dance or Focus Punch on the switch, but why not just always use Swords Dance? In addition, Mach Punch will give you a STAB priority move, which is always useful. Also, I'm not familiar with the best EV distribution for Breloom, but if you're going to use Poison Heal for healing as well as blocking status, you might want to put some EVs into HP for more healing. I'm not sure if that was your intention, though. A more offensive option is to use Technician instead of Poison Heal to wreck the opponent's team with a boosted Mach Punch. You would also deal more damage with a Technician-boosted Bullet Seed than with Seed Bomb.

Everything else seems alright, I suppose... I'm not very familiar with the EV distributions, however, so I can't really help with that. I hope someone after me can give you a more in-depth analysis of your team and its synergy.

Hi there. I really don't feel Ninjask is a very effective Pokemon in general unless he is on a team dedicated to Baton Pass. I would recomend replacing him with Gastrodon, who may seem an odd choice at first, but will easily overcome any problems your team may have with rain, or Thundurus. He also takes the pressure off of Breloom, who's tasked with keeping the entire team safe from Rotom-W. The set I recommend would be a specially defensive varient: 252 hp/252 spdef/4sptack. Scald/toxic/ice beam/recover. calm nature.

Yes Breloom is very threatening after a few boosts, but since he and Jask share fairly common weaknesses I doubt it would work too, too well. Especially with Focus punch as your only fighting stab, yet no sub. If I were you, I would go mach punch over F-punch, or add substitute over SD.

Dual screen Zong is an good set, but your team is very, very Excadrill weak using your current set, I recommend you add Earthquake, over one of your screens.

Since your using a more defensive Scizor spread I would suggest you give roost a try, you may find the results agreeable.

sorry for the short rate, but I hope it helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)