Project Next Best Thing

I really want to claim DD Tera Dark Feraligator with Liquidation, Ice Punch, and Crunch, but I feel that is too easy, so I wanted to challenge myself.

Feraligatr (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Electric
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Liquidation
- Crunch
- Facade
- Dragon Dance

This set is kinda similar to the one I mentioned, but I really like the idea of a facade. There are a lot of Pokemon who will want to burn or poison you, so I was like, I will get the DD so the facade can be overpowered. I first thought of having tera normal but I think tera electric is better because you can stop Pokemon from paralyzing you.

Lucario

A side must always be chosen
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
:pmd/feraligatr:

Feraligatr @ Protective Pads
Ability: Torrent
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 52 HP / 252 Atk / 204 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Crunch
- Substitute
- Swords Dance

Do you ever feel like doing a lot of damage with priority? If so then you should use Lycanroc-D or Lucario. However, Feraligatr is another option that is actually a worse Basculegion, except for this one set. 204 Speed EVs allow Gatr to outspeed max Speed Magnezone while also enabling HP investment to have an HP stat that is divisible by 4. This gives Feraligatr a boosted Aqua Jet, add in Tera and its BP becomes 120, equivalent to that of Lucario's Extreme Speed post Tera. Crunch powers through Slowbro because Slowbro is everywhere. Protective Pads let's Gatr bypass Slowbro's Rocky Helmet, Talonflame's Flame Body, and Vileplume's existence.

Replay of this set in action on the Neverused ladder

Last edited:
Tired of mons like Slowbro, Vileplume, Avalugg and even quasire being able to check your gatr and you just cant find one set that beats them all reliably, well I have just the solution for you.

Introducing Block Spite Gatr

:feraligatr:

Feraligatr @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Block
- Spite
- Rest
- Snarl

This set can bait and trap all these pokemon (barring crits in some cases but what can you do) they all usually like to switch in and check gatr so you can block on the switch and take them down so other mons like :lycanroc-dusk: and :lucario: are freed up to break the opponents team easier

this ev spread isn't 3 hit ko-d by body press from avalugg after leftovers recovery and quaqsires eq is only a possible 5 hit ko, on the special side if it isn't boosted with calm minds slowbro cant 3 hit ko you, and if it tries boosting your hitting it with snarl to drop its special and 2 spites mean you have more than enough pp to shut down its CMs it needs +2 to 3 hit ko anyways, and you don't necessarily have to tera to beat plume (unless you miss a snarl) , if you hit them with block when they switched in, you can easily snarl 3 times and plume will struggle to beat you with giga drain after as it will only do 16.5 - 19.7% as the calcs show, and if they leech seed you can get an extra drop before having to rest.

Here is the team I built to try this set: https://pokepast.es/9e7f3d65944b5b10

And here is a replay of it trapping a couple mons including a quagsire towards the end of the match: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nu-2096388393-dwqxmm1azr6za3hmi9e6q0tiegklvd2pw

Replay of gatr disabling a stall member out the gate: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nu-2097156729

Last edited:
Swords Dance Scale Shot

:ss/feraligatr:

Feraligatr @ Loaded Dice
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Liquidation
- Scale Shot
- Crunch

I used this set, and it is quite fun to use once you setup. This set needs Sticky Web to outspeed faster threats when Webs are up. Loaded Dice Scale Shot makes it consistent, with Tera Dragon giving it a little more power. This works as a nice Vileplume lure since they don't really expect Tera Dragon on Vileplume, letting you Tera Dragon Scale Shot them on the turn they use Giga Drain. Crunch is the last slot so you can hit Psychic- and Ghost-types such as Slowbro, Mew, Brambleghast, Mew, Munkidori, Reuniclus, and Basculegion super effectively. You can experiment with Lum Berry or Life Orb as the items if you want to heal status or give Liquidation and Crunch more power.

Last edited:
1712336763762.png
AV Pivot Feraligatr with Flip Turn

Feraligatr @ Assault Vest
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 220 HP / 252 Atk / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Flip Turn
- Ice Punch
- Facade

This set aims to have a slow Flip Turn user with high considerable damage output thanks to its ability Sheer Force and an Assault Vest to make good use of its good defensive typing.
Liquidation is the STAB, whereas Ice Punch is for coverage. Flip Turn is here for utility whereas Facade makes good use of random status conditions that the opponent may spam at your Feraligatr. It is not boosted by Sheer Force, but it is still quite powerful.
The EVs spread is a bulky offensive one. 36 Spe EVs are enough to reach 201 Spe points in order to outspeed neutral Bombirdier ( Resource - NU Speed Tiers | Smogon Forums ) but you can pick whatever you want to outspeed.

Last edited:
SD "No STAB" Feraligatr

:Feraligatr: Feraligatr @ Lum Berry / Covert Cloak
Tera Type: Grass / Electric / Dark
EVs: 184 HP / 252 Atk / 72 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Trailblaze / Terablast / Crunch
- Ice Punch
- Aqua Jet

Have you ever used gatr and felt like you didn't have the right coverage move? Tired of being walled by either plume or water types? Then try sd no stab gatr today! For the low low price of giving up liquidation you can bop more things! Hooray! The idea behind this set is using gatr as more of a breaker than a sweeper. A bulkier spread and lum give you more setup opportunities, and against offensive mons you are relying on jet anyways. Of course you technically have aqua jet as a stab, but y'all get the idea. This hits 210 speed for 252 neutral natured brute bonnet, but you may even be able to go slower. I thought about running more speed to outspending 252+ zone but you awkwardly don't have a coverage move for it (most people don't try to check gatr with zone anyways.) A lot of teams have to try to scout the gatr coverage to take it out. If you show sd, then typically you either have crunch (which is just hitting a lot of things for neutral damage) or ice punch (which is probably worse and walled by waters). You don't have room for 2 coverage options typically, just sd | liquidation | jet and 1 coverage move. This set gives you more breaking options! Terablast electric over trailblaze makes sense too and gives you bolt beam coverage, but I think in this tier I like having the grass move to also hit the water/ground types. Crunch over trailblaze makes sense as well, but I really like being able to surprise the bulky waters than can eat a crunch. Covert Cloak is an interesting option, GG scald! Unfortunately this doesn't block t-wave or wisp which is also common in the tier so generally I think lum is the go to option, just thought it was worth mentioning!

Replays (may get some more replays, some of these showcase the bulky sd aspect some more of the unique coverage)

Team https://pokepast.es/7f8d600624cd34a4

Last edited:

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I think y'all took everything remotely viable already, so I went for a different spin on Block than Diamonds did
Feraligatr @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Block
- Rest
- Liquidation

I like that this set can in theory trap something like ironpress registeel after its boosted and then kill it with curse and rest off the damage. You can probably get past Quagsire without TOO much trouble since their EQ doesn't 3HKO you. You only 2HKO Slowbro some of the time at +6 so I wouldn't say you beat all of them, but theres prob a twave foul play set or two running around that you can make hate their life.

edit: torrent

Wadley

formerly outbackrabbit
is a Tiering Contributoris the defending NU Circuit Champion
NUPL Champion
Feraligatr @ Choice Band
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 140 HP / 252 Atk / 116 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Crunch
- Ice Punch
- Aqua Jet

I will keep this short cb just hits hard tera dark is there to give feraligatr other stab and to hit is counter harder like slowbro, Ice punch is there for coverage that liquidation and crunch can not hit like plume and jet is there for priority, i have up enough speed to outspeed base 60 +atkk mons theoretically this set is only for webs teams become mass majority of the tier outspeed this set. The idea of the set is just hit hard and break stuff early

Submissions closed for Week 3. As with last week, you may vote for up to two sets that you deem worthy of calling the Next Best Thing! Remember, even if you did not submit a set you are still allowed to vote for your favorites.

Ballot:
Heatranator - Mixed Agility
PKQ - DD Facade
Lucario - Sub SD
Diamonds_realm - Block + Spite
Zangoose - SD Scale Shot
Nameless - AV Pivot
LTTM - SD 'No STAB'
Kiyo - Block + Curse
Wadley - Choice Band

Please submit your votes by Wednesday, 5pm GMT -5 (EST).

Submissions closed for Week 3. As with last week, you may vote for up to two sets that you deem worthy of calling the Next Best Thing! Remember, even if you did not submit a set you are still allowed to vote for your favorites.

Ballot:
Heatranator - Mixed Agility
PKQ - DD Facade
Lucario - Sub SD
Diamonds_realm - Block + Spite
Zangoose - SD Scale Shot
Nameless - AV Pivot
LTTM - SD 'No STAB'
Kiyo - Block + Curse
Wadley - Choice Band

Please submit your votes by Wednesday, 5pm GMT -5 (EST).
I would like to pick myself for one, but if I can't, I pick Nameless and Zangoose.

NBT Week 4 will be guest-hosted by Lucario!

If you want to dip your toes into project hosting and guest host NBT in a future week, reach out to me on PS or the NU discord.

Lucario

A side must always be chosen
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Hello! I am user Lucario and I am here to host Week 4 of Next Best Thing! This week the featured Pokemon is...

Week 4: Lucario
:sv/lucario:

I decided to go with a more random Pokemon this week, no real reason why I picked Lucario. Luc has been shredding this tier apart ever since it dropped, often running Ekiller sets. Another set it runs makes use of its higher SpA stat and uses Nasty Plot with 3 attacks. Lucario has lots of versatility, so let's see who can make the best set for it.

The deadline for submitting a set will be Tuesday, April 16th, at roughly 10am GMT-4.

Swords Dance Ekiller (SD + CC + Espeed + Tera Normal)
Nasty Plot + 3A

So in my thoughts of a new set I took the ghost/fighting coverage from my sub plot lucario and reimagined the set as something else, so here is mixed work up lucario

:sv/lucario:

Lucario @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Work Up
- Vacuum Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Close Combat

This set aims to break holes rather than clean up, with vac wave and shadow ball returning as special attacks and close combat to hit some of the special walls like muk-a or registeel. Life orbs immediate power along with the coverage as before being unresisted in the tier, you can get a nice neutral hit at minimum even if you can't safely set up. Like with the infernape a couple weeks ago, I built a webs team to use this set.

The team: work up mixed lucario NBT (pokepast.es)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 0)