NFE are incredible little beings... especially in OU

Status
Not open for further replies.
This team is intentionally non-competitive. You aren't trying to take advantage of any unique factors of the NFE Pokemon, but rather, are just using them to "be different". Smogon is not the place for this. - Obi

Welcome, everyone. I present to you my biggest love in the Pokémon environment - gimmicks. Upon laddering in OU without stop, I understood something was amiss. Every time would I see the same leadings, suiciding themselves to set up the same move. Every time would the same Pokémon switch in and use the same moves. Seeing how the metagame had been twisted, poisoned, I had to stop. And I found this... the prime of creativity. Where all that matters is strategy, cunning - utter failure or complete success. I present to you one of my favourite gimmicky creations... a NFE team made to compete in OU.

Murkrow @Focus Sash ** Darkling
Trait: Insomnia
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly
Taunt
Featherdance
Sucker Punch
Drill Peck

Murkrow is an amazing little fella. The idea behind this set is simple: Taunt leadings such as Bronzong to force Gyro Ball and Featherdance them once, preventing them from breaking Poliwhirl's sub and enabling sweeping chance nº1. Should the leadings be fast sweepers such as Gengar, Sucker Punch puts them into a world of pain, as Insomnia prevents nasty Hypnosis. It can even take Yanmega leadings, Drill Pecking the opponent into a state of security to finish them off with Sucker Punch. This set is the key to many victories.

Poliwhirl @Salac Berry ** Sweeper Washing Machine v2.0
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature: Adamant
Substitute
Belly Drum
Waterfall
Return

After a Featherdance, Bronzong's Gyro Ball will do a measly 15% to Poliwhirl, allowing it to Substitute and Belly Drum, activating Salac for the first sweeping chance. Waterfall and Return provide excellent coverage, and people tend to underestimate Poliwhirl's base 90 Speed.

Haunter @Salac Berry ** Waluigi's Ghost
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
Shadow Ball
Thunderbolt
Substitute
Destiny Bond

A great asset to the team. With its awesome 115 Base Special Attack, it hits many things hard. Come on, we all know how SubGar is deadly in OU. To my horror and disgrace, Haunter doesn't learn either Focus Blast or Focus Punch, but Thunderbolt is still great for catching things off-guard (not expected on a Sub set). My Ninjask counter, by Taunting with Murkrow and switching this in, which takes less than 25% from X-Scissor. By repeatedly Subbing, Salac ativates, meaning it beats Gengar and anything with less than 95 Speed base holding a Scarf, which is my sweeping chance nº2 (with an unexpected mooveset on my side, I can usually bring down around 2 Pokémon with this thing). When something threatens my Team more than it should, Haunter brings it down with itself.

Diglett @Choice Scarf ** Whack-a-Mole
Trait: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Attack / 4 SpD / 252 Speed
Nature: Adamant
Earthquake
Sucker Punch
Rock Slide
Aerial Ace

Scarflett for the rescue. With its awesome 95 base Speed, it outruns Scarftran and everything before it, tying with Yanmega after 1 boost (the Atk from Adamant is REALLY necessary). A revenge killer of many talents, takes down many things that like to stop my sweepings.

Yanma @Focus Sash ** Buzz Bug
Trait: Speed Boost
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Modest
Bug Buzz
Air Slash
Protect
Hypnosis

Standard Yanmega set, I know, but Yanmega is so awesome that even Yanma fits its role perfectly. They have the same base Speed, and Yanma still destroys many sweepers with 2 or 3HKOs (172 EVs Stamie is OHKOed by Bug Buzz at 86%, many people seem to underestimate that) and puts big threats to sleep, allowing for sweeping chance nº3. Call me a retard, I guess I just like the log "Buzz Bug used Bug Buzz" to show up on the screen.

Monferno @Salac Berry ** Baboom
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly
Substitute
Swords Dance
Close Combat
Blaze Kick

With a bit of luck, this comes in on a sleeping Pokémon which doesn't wake up and Subs up repeatedly to activate Salac, Blaze and get a Swords Dance as they break the final Sub. With some threats already removed from the opponent's team by Haunter or Yanma (such as Suicune / Starmie), Monferno ends the battle in a stylish monkey-like martial arts known only by the hidden baboons of the Pride Land.

So I finally see this team, I have seen this team in the action a few times, I really like when Poliwhirl sweeps everything.

Also I like the fact that Murkrow is used, I really liked him before and now he got an evo which looks retarded, Murkrow was/is more cool...

10/10

Elitist, I have told you this many times, your team is really weak to a DD Gyarados which is really common in the OU environment. After one DD, it just rips through this team, provided Diglett is gone. Have you tried an evolved version of this team? It seems like it would dominate. BTW, instead of using your NFE team, I reccomend you switch to UU. It might give you a nice change of pace.

finally someone that the metagame needs teams with nfe's ment for battling the other tiers
well te only pokemon that i und a bit weird is diglett
i don't think he will do much so.
maybe run a sash set on it

If this team was actually evolved it would be very nice. I myself can't find the point in NFE teams, I think they are just stupid and pointless. Why not evolve them for the sake of your stats?

Elitist, I have told you this many times, your team is really weak to a DD Gyarados which is really common in the OU environment. After one DD, it just rips through this team, provided Diglett is gone.
Lol - "Diglett, ROCK SLIDE!!!" You're forgetting one thing, though... Gyarados won't have a chance to get that DD. If it leads, Murkrow Taunts and Featherdances, disabling it. Yanma can come on it in a pinch to put it to sleep (which is its idea, in general). Haunter OHKOs it, and if I am aware of its presence, I surely won't trap-kill with Diglett. It could switch into Monferno, that it true, but quite predictable. It is all about how I play with it.

BTW, instead of using your NFE team, I reccomend you switch to UU. It might give you a nice change of pace.
I did try UU, only to find it as poisoned as OU by the likes pf Aerodactyl, Weezing, and Miltank, which I refuse to use and, therefore, compete in such a metagame.

If this team was actually evolved it would be very nice. I myself can't find the point in NFE teams, I think they are just stupid and pointless. Why not evolve them for the sake of your stats?
Because that would ruin all the fun. The whole idea is laugh out loud at people who underestimate the sheer awesomeness of NFE, and using an evolved version would ruin all my fun and of those watching me battle with it (I created the alt "The Elitist - NFE" to ladder with this team). Consider an act of revolution, if you may.

Because that would ruin all the fun. The whole idea is laugh out loud at people who underestimate the sheer awesomeness of NFE, and using an evolved version would ruin all my fun and of those watching me battle with it (I created the alt "The Elitist - NFE" to ladder with this team). Consider an act of revolution, if you may.
I see where you are coming from in a way. Trying to make things unique and more fun, I understand. But in a competitive perspective like mine. Its all about the sheer power and the best ways to make your pokemon stronger.

I see where you are coming from in a way. Trying to make things unique and more fun, I understand. But in a competitive perspective like mine. Its all about the sheer power and the best ways to make your pokemon stronger.
Now this is exactly what I'm trying to "get away" from.The OU metagame has become increasingly overcentralized on offense and the same Pokémon, I don't care about sheer power or about strong Pokémon. All I want is to have fun, which I can't in the current metagame.

No o-fence intended, but this team seems...weak. You may think, "Oh, I'm super cool because I'm using NFEs in OU," and most people on this thread agree, but when you are using NFEs, then you need a strategy. For example, that Scarf Diglett won't hurt anything. Think about that.

Now this is exactly what I'm trying to "get away" from.The OU metagame has become increasingly overcentralized on offense and the same Pokémon, I don't care about sheer power or about strong Pokémon. All I want is to have fun, which I can't in the current metagame.
Well, thats your own personal preference, I respect that.

As a previous posted commented on, Gyarados could be quite problematic considering every time Diglet Revenge kills something, Gyarados gets a free turn to set up since Diglet is rather unimitidating to Gyarados. To fix this, maybe you could try a Porygon 2 which will solve your Gyarados problem while still letting you deal with Heatran.

No o-fence intended, but this team seems...weak. You may think, "Oh, I'm super cool because I'm using NFEs in OU," and most people on this thread agree, but when you are using NFEs, then you need a strategy. For example, that Scarf Diglett won't hurt anything. Think about that.
Well I AM super cool for using them. =P Joking aside, I actually tested it and it is not your simple weaker-Pokémon-with-the-same-movesets team. I DO have a strategy, as explained throughout the RMT, which I deduce most people such as yourself are simply too lazy to read. Diglett OHKOs Heatran and Infernape, and finishes many weakened Pokémon who threaten to destroy me. First I was using Nuzleaf, and I replaced it for Diglett as it was able to do what the rest of the team failed to. If you think a STABed Earthquake from 226 Attack doesn't hurt anything, you're wrong.

Does Poliwhirl seriously have 90 base speed?!?!?!

I'M USING IT!!!
Lol, I was obviously kidding on that one. Thing is, after Belly Drum and the Salac's activation, not many things without a priority move can stop this (and sometimes the Substitute remains untouched even after the Belly Drum, but that is simply because certain people fail to understand what I'm up to).

As a previous posted commented on, Gyarados could be quite problematic considering every time Diglet Revenge kills something, Gyarados gets a free turn to set up since Diglet is rather unimitidating to Gyarados. To fix this, maybe you could try a Porygon 2 which will solve your Gyarados problem while still letting you deal with Heatran.
Unhappily, is used in OU, meaning it is overpowered for what I want. But as I said before, I try not to use Diglett so recklessly and, instead, find ways around it like switching in Murkrow to Sucker Punch the weakened foe and prevent Gyarados from having a field day (most times Gyarados is revealed early in the match and no, Murkrow doesn't die early, it usually sets up while taking a hit and switches out).

I see this strategy working against those who use the "standard" of standard OU movesets. However against those who make unique changes to their poke to counter their said counters will wipe this teams fail defense. Example: Bronzong w/charge beam or random pokes with Lum berries.

I see this strategy working against those who use the "standard" of standard OU movesets. However against those who make unique changes to their poke to counter their said counters will wipe this teams fail defense. Example: Bronzong w/charge beam or random pokes with Lum berries.
That's EXACTLY where I want to get. The standard of standards is all that is seen nowadays, rare is the player who strays away from what is really common. That is why I enjoy watching certain players battle (such as Skiddle or Hipmonlee) because they don't restrict themselves to the standard. This team was made for that exact same purpose (to oppose and counter the standard metagame, which I can stand no more).

That's EXACTLY where I want to get. The standard of standards is all that is seen nowadays, rare is the player who strays away from what is really common. That is why I enjoy watching certain players battle (such as Skiddle or Hipmonlee) because they don't restrict themselves to the standard. This team was made for that exact same purpose (to oppose and counter the standard metagame, which I can stand no more).

**high fives**

This team is omega sex. It took me down to my last 2 guys in Ubers...yea it's that much win.
Lol Faint, we both know what happened in that game. =P

Anyways, I was expecting this to turn into an interesting thread, not simply people flaming me for not being competitive. Well, thing is, you're wrong. I'm being as competitive as can be, but while doing so, I'm having fun. I wonder if many of you can say so...

When I think back the times when Pokémon wasn't about 252 / 252 spreads and full offense, I rejoice. I am eagerly awating for Ubers for that same reason, as I doubt I will ever have a liking for this metagame again.

The Elitist, you are probably one of the few creative shoddy battlers on these forums that I know of and you seem to know what you're doing when creating these awesome teams, imo, seriously I like these teams of yours.

The Elitist, you are probably one of the few creative shoddy battlers on these forums that I know of and you seem to know what you're doing when creating these awesome teams, imo, seriously I like these teams of yours.
Thank you very much for not being narrow-minded and seeing this team for what it really is. ;)

As a final post, I'd like to ask some thoughts on how it performs, if you've watched me battling with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)