Nidoking

breh

強いだね
I'll post its full movepool later (or if somebody wants to be nice and C/P it from somewhere)... Please use Serebii for now. In addition, Encourage is linked in most mentions; if you want to check moves boosted by it, feel free to visit the linked thread. Before it is asked, no, Stone Edge is thought not to be boosted by Encourage. Encourage has also been proven to negate Life Orb damage on boosted moves (Flamethrower, Earth Power, Ice Beam, etc.) by the research thread.

Yeah so encourage is pretty cool; my analysis is geared towards UU, as Nidoking will (at least in my opinion) not likely be OU due to meh stats.

Viable moves (Italicized if boosted by Encourage):

Level Up
Toxic Spikes
Poison Jab
Thrash
Earth Power
Megahorn

TM
Claw Sharpen
Ice Beam
Blizzard
Thunderbolt
Thunder
Earthquake
Shadow Ball
Brick Break
Sludge Wave
Flamethrower
Fire Blast
Torment
Focus Blast
Rock Slide
Poison Jab
Substitute
Surf

Egg Moves
Beat Up (is this affected by Encourage? If so that's a bit akward, lol)
Sucker Punch
Head Smash

HP 81 / Atk 92 / Def 77 / SpA 85 / SpD 75 / Spe 85

[Overview]
Already a potent mixed sweeper, Nidoking was blessed with one of the most useful abilities during its transition into the fifth generation - Encourage. This ability grants it power bonuses on a great number of viable moves in its ridiculously wide movepool, giving Nidoking some needed omph. In addition, Encourage also grants Nidoking immunity to Life Orb damage, an extremely helpful side effect. In a metagame filled with base 80 Speed Pokemon, Nidoking's great base 85 lets it outspeed a number of opponents. However, Nidoking's offensive stats, while decent, are not extremely overwhelming by any stretch of the imagination.

Nidoking @ Life Orb
Ability: Encourage
Nature: Timid
EV: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Earth Power
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower / Fire Blast
Nidoking is a great all-out special attacker. With Encourage boosting Nidoking's Special Attack to about base 125 and the ability to fully utilise its wide movepool with four moveslots, Nidoking becomes a proficient sweeper. While it is still let down by its lackluster speed in the higher tiers, it fits right in in the UU speed tiers. The moveset is self explanatory - it is simply Earth Power as STAB with multiple high-power coverage moves helping Nidoking defeat strong walls. Fire Blast vs. Flamethrower is the age-old decision between power and accuracy. In addition, Nidoking is a prime candidate for Baton Passed Butterfly Dances from Pokemon like Venomoth and Masquerain. The speed boost is a great aid for Nidoking, especially in the higher tiers, and the Special Attack boost is greatly appreciated. As on all special sets, Shanderaa is a helpful teammate if Chansey or Blissey is a significant problem. In addition, Shanderaa is also a great recipient of Baton Pass with its similarly high attacking stats and lackluster speed.

[SET]
name: Claw Sharpen Mix
move 1: Claw Sharpen
move 2: Earth Power
move 3: Thunder / Fire Blast
move 4: Brick Break / Poison Jab
item: Life Orb
ability: Encourage
nature: Naive
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

With Claw Sharpen, Nidoking can boost his power and accuracy. I know that this isn't the most optimal utlisation of the move, but it can work. Claw Sharpen gives Thunder 93% accuracy and Fire Blast perfect accuracy, which is great, considering that Encourage boosts the base power of both to a stellar 156. The choice between Fire Blast and Thunder is a choice of what you want to be walled by - Thunder causes problems with Grass-types, which is problematic in a Venusaur-infeseted metagame. On the flipside, running Fire Blast leaves Nidoking vulnerable to Milotic and Moltres, both of whom it cannot siginificantly damage. Earth Power is obligatory STAB and boasts the nice coverage of Ground-type moves. Lastly, a +1 Brick Break or Poison Jab both serve to 2HKO Pre-Evolution Stone Chansey with Stealth Rock. Conversely, Brick Break can be dropped to make room for both Thunder and Fire Blast in the higher tiers if Shanderaa is run alongside Nidoking. Shanderaa can efficiently trap Blissey, who has little trouble walling this set, even when Brick Break is run.

[SET]
name: Claw Sharpen Physical
move 1: Claw Sharpen
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Stone Edge / Head Smash
move 4: Substitute / Poison Jab
item: Life Orb
ability: Poison Point / Encourage
nature: Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Att / 252 Spe

Get a Claw Sharpen up and sweep. Earthquake and boosted accuracy Stone Edge / Head Smash have great coverage together, while Poison Jab and Megahorn both have some power behind them. Substitute offers eased prediction, while Poison Jab offers great power and relative neutrality, not to mention the ability to easily KO bulky Grass-types. Sucker Punch is also usuable in the last slot, being Nidoking's only priority move and also offering great neutrality.

I like your psychial claw sharpen set, but trade stone edge for sucker punch. just because of all the new psychic types (and old ones) there are just way to many not to have a dark move handy.

Azure Demon

Midpoint is one of my favorite pokemon always has been always will be and I think it's about time I share my secret lead set that has been rocking the uu metagame

Lead king set

Nidoking@ focus sash
Nature: naughty
Ability: poison point/encourage
Evs: 252atk/160spatk/98speed

Stealth rocks
Earthquake
Fire blast
Sucker punch

This set works beautifully it has such versatility. The way you play it is all based on the reads you make

Nidoking vs arcanine: eq for the kill if it doesn't have intimidate or set up stealth rocks on a switch if you think it will be scared out

Nidoking vs swellow: stealth rock first always because it will either protect or u-turn. If it stays in fire blast on turn 2 and sucker punch for the kill on turn 3

Nidoking vs ambipom: switch so sash is not broken or let it fake out in hopes that it will get contact poisoning

Nidoking vs nidoking: earthquake on there stealth rock then sucker punch for the kill possibility 2: you both eq then you finish their nidoking off with a sucker punch
Possibility 3: you both stealth rock then do the thing from possibility 2.

This guy is amazing it can lure out special walls if you fire off fire blast making them think it has no physical moves you can also rape zam nidoking is a monsterous beast whose rule will never end

breh

強いだね
What's the new acc. of Stone Edge now?

Encourage is just such a great addition to Nidoking. It needed that extra oomph.
Lol, I meant that Claw Sharpen boosts its accuracy to perfect xD
I'm going to add Head Smash as well.

I like your psychial claw sharpen set, but trade stone edge for sucker punch. just because of all the new psychic types (and old ones) there are just way to many not to have a dark move handy.
Okay, I'll mention Sucker Punch; it also hits Moltres pretty hard after a Claw Sharpen.

Lead king set
Nidoking@ focus sash

Stealth rocks
Sucker punch
Fire blast
Sucker punch
Doesn't look too great IMO. In this gen, nobody knows how effective entry hazard leads or anti-leads will be; either way, you're not hitting enough leads hard enough. Mesprit and Uxie laugh at it, Omastar gets spikes and rocks up and gets you to sash if you set up rocks, ALL while being faster. Rain leads get up rain, etc. If it only does well against anti-leads then it defeats the point, lol.

I haven't played UU for about 1.5 weeks though (since black and white came out, I've been playing them non-stop); has Heracross really become that common of a lead that people use Swellows and Arcanines? (on a side note, wouldn't Scyther be better? lol)

Midpoint is one of my favorite pokemon always has been always will be and I think it's about time I share my secret lead set that has been rocking the uu metagame

Lead king set

Nidoking@ focus sash

Stealth rocks
Sucker punch
Fire blast
Sucker punch
um you messed up : I think the second sucker punch was supposed to be EQ yes? if so it's a nice set. I'll give you that. I don't really like useing mix attackers how ever.

Encourage is really a god sent ability for Nidoking. His special movepool is fantastic, and Earth Power smacks around most Steel-types harder than Earthquake. He essentially has ~150 base special attack when using Earth Power, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Flamethrower, etc, which is pretty nuts. With a Timid nature, you are operating with 295 Speed and like I said, what is basically 403 Special Attack (523 with Life Orb, 604 with Choice Specs).

Nidoking @ Life Orb
- Earth Power
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower

Superb coverage, good speed, and extremely powerful. Earth Power + Thunderbolt is an easy 2HKO on defensive Milotic. Earth Power does 55.4% - 65.3% to Swampert, so if anyone thinks HP Grass is necessary they're wrong; no Water/Ground can switch in. Nidoking has a fabulous defensive typing, and it can actually take a hit.

breh

強いだね
Encourage is really a god sent ability for Nidoking. His special movepool is fantastic, and Earth Power smacks around most Steel-types harder than Earthquake. He essentially has ~150 base special attack when using Earth Power, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Flamethrower, etc, which is pretty nuts. With a Timid nature, you are operating with 295 Speed and like I said, what is basically 403 Special Attack (523 with Life Orb, 604 with Choice Specs).
The main problem Nidoking faces, however, is that it's foced to rely on its slightly weaker side for encourage use and that Choice Specs is a poor idea due to many resistances to its moves (though even resisted CS 120 base power moves sting like hell)... should I mention it though? I did a calc earlier and CS Focus Blast 2HKOs 252 / 252 / 0 Bold Chansey with rocks... but then again that's only half of the time due to its poor accuracy Dx

both nidos benefit from this....I have a question though does encourage take away negative effects as well? if so we may see nidoqueen with superpower.....and could megahorn be used on a psychial claw sharpen set for nidoking? I don't see why not....it could be used over sucker punch, but idk.

breh

強いだね
both nidos benefit from this....I have a question though does encourage take away negative effects as well? if so we may see nidoqueen with superpower.....and could megahorn be used on a psychial claw sharpen set for nidoking? I don't see why not....it could be used over sucker punch, but idk.

Lol I knew I should have linked to the encourage page..

No, it does not stop negative effects. I considered megahorn, but found that the coverage it offered (as well as its power) were inferior to that of Poison Jab.

Speaking of Poison Jab, what does everybody else think about using it in place of Brick Break on the first set? It still 2hkoes Chansey, but with better utility everywhere else.

The main problem Nidoking faces, however, is that it's foced to rely on its slightly weaker side for encourage use and that Choice Specs is a poor idea due to many resistances to its moves (though even resisted CS 120 base power moves sting like hell)... should I mention it though? I did a calc earlier and CS Focus Blast 2HKOs 252 / 252 / 0 Bold Chansey with rocks... but then again that's only half of the time due to its poor accuracy Dx
Life Orb man, Life Orb. While it's Nidoking's "weaker" side (not by much), it is still extremely powerful in comparison to other special attackers, and it has a much better movepool than the rest. I don't think Nidoking will be OU because of this, but this is a gigantic boost.

Poison Jab seems like a reasonable option.

Speaking of Poison Jab, what does everybody else think about using it in place of Brick Break on the first set? It still 2hkoes Chansey, but with better utility everywhere else.
yes, That would be a much better choice. It usally is better to put stab over all :P

Its speed is still subpar. It'll probably run Scarf sets (mixed or physical or special), the some Mixed Wall Breaker set, then a Substitute attacker set, then Choice Band/Specs set.

I wanted to create Nidoking thread, but not a big deal ;). Anyway Nidoking was one of my favorite Pokemon and Encourage boosts his utility much more. It's probably the best user of Encourage this Generation with his massive movepool. At first his offensive statistics may look mediocre, however I'm pretty sure Nidoking may knock out most targets into OHKO or 2OHKO range except the bulkiest of walls, and even for them you may go with coverage move. It only wants 100 base speed, so it would really shine. I made some calculations against standard strong walls thanks to Encourage. All of them assume Max Special Attack.

Max HP Giratina vs 252 SpA Timid Ice Beam
51.19% --> 60.71%

Max HP Lugia vs 252 SpA Thunder
52.38% --> 61.90%

112 HP Soul Dew Latias
40.73% --> 49.24%

112 HP Latias
62.01% --> 73.56%

252 HP/176 SpD Spiker Deoxys-D
45.39% --> 53.95%
80% for 2HKO with SR up

Max HP Cresselia
45.39% -->53.95%
97% for 2HKO with SR up

So in other words saying that Nidoking doesn't hit hard enough for wallbreaker... means that someone seriously underestimate Nidoking. Thanks to Encourage hits hard, surprisingly hard while keeping good enough speed for wall-breaking. Nidoking only wish for better priority then Sucker Punch. However it doesn't look bad ;).

EDIT: I just found out, that Encourage boosts moves for 30% boost instead of 50%. Well... then unfortunately some of those 2OHKOes won't happen x_X.

Azure Demon

Doesn't look too great IMO. In this gen, nobody knows how effective entry hazard leads or anti-leads will be; either way, you're not hitting enough leads hard enough. Mesprit and Uxie laugh at it, Omastar gets spikes and rocks up and gets you to sash if you set up rocks, ALL while being faster. Rain leads get up rain, etc. If it only does well against anti-leads then it defeats the point, lol.

I haven't played UU for about 1.5 weeks though (since black and white came out, I've been playing them non-stop) has Heracross really become that common of a lead that people use Swellows and Arcanines? (on a side note, wouldn't Scyther be better? lol)
Swellow and arcanine were used as leads before heracross came down because it allows swellow to get guts early and have it al ready to sweep later

And arcanine is an effective bulky lead killer with strong stab options and extremespeed to clean up what's left

Also this arcanince runs through scythes to fire blast then sucker punch it when it hits its sash this set is absolutely great and has worked wonders both on shoddy and on wifi so I love the guy and you shouldn't knock it until you try it
I wanted to create Nidoking thread, but not a big deal ;). Anyway Nidoking was one of my favorite Pokemon and Encourage boosts his utility much more. It's probably the best user of Encourage this Generation with his massive movepool. At first his offensive statistics may look mediocre, however I'm pretty sure Nidoking may knock out most targets into OHKO or 2OHKO range except the bulkiest of walls, and even for them you may go with coverage move. It only wants 100 base speed, so it would really shine. I made some calculations against standard strong walls thanks to Encourage. All of them assume Max Special Attack.
I love nidoking to but I think that fire/fighting type pokemon whose name escapes me has best encourage user on lock down

Nidoking has always been a favorite of mine I think he may see rise in usage due to claw sharpen and the rise of psychics and ghosts his suckerpunches and megahorns will be more useful then ever. His stats are sadly not that good so he may be stuck in uu maybe bl we will just have to wait and see but he is blessed with a fantastic move pool He also gets a much needed boost from Encourage. Nidoking can finally be a force to be reckoned with he may actually be the best user of Encourage due to his massive movepool only time will tell.

Nidoking @ Life Orb
- Earth Power
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower

Superb coverage, good speed, and extremely powerful. Earth Power + Thunderbolt is an easy 2HKO on defensive Milotic. Earth Power does 55.4% - 65.3% to Swampert, so if anyone thinks HP Grass is necessary they're wrong; no Water/Ground can switch in. Nidoking has a fabulous defensive typing, and it can actually take a hit.
This is my EXACT nidoking, (except I run expert belt) and I LOVE how it works. I use this in OU and he really does his job well, (unless the enemy gets a faster sweeper train started).

I have had games where Nidoking was my last pokemon, and I took out my opponents last 3 pokemon, while still taking an earthquake from a defensive flygon and surviving with 5 hp.

I feel that encourage will just buff this set so much, he will be hitting like a truck. I just wish he had the slightest bit more of speed...

He has been my favorite pokemon (tied with Gengar and Crobat) since gen 1, and I almost ALWAYS use mine, regardless of him being UU. I just can't give him up.

A prime target for Baton Passing, as Nidoking always was. But now, it's even better to pass special boosts than before.

I think Nido should always have Encourage for special sets, and the risky Rivalry on physical sets (i know that Rivalry EQ hurts like hell. a +2 Rivalry EQ does OHKO even Milotic even without Life Orb >_>. Too bad that when the opponent is female Nido loses lots of power).

Also, Venomoth is a good BP partner now.

Also, Venomoth is a good BP partner now.
Sleep Powder-Butterfly Dance-Baton Pass-Nidoking causes Genocide.

I actually used to run a Ninjask-Nidoking in OU team that worked wonderfully. Encourage definitely is the good kick his special side needs. Now I have to wonder what a Sub-Shell Break pass from Smeargle would do for him.

.....Good God.

darn I was going to make this lol

so nidoking gets pretty much a large special boost since the majority of the moves empowered by encourage are special. I do agree though nido needs some serious speed passing or maybe a scarf.

Sleep Powder-Butterfly Dance-Baton Pass-Nidoking causes Genocide.

I actually used to run a Ninjask-Nidoking in OU team that worked wonderfully. Encourage definitely is the good kick his special side needs. Now I have to wonder what a Sub-Shell Break pass from Smeargle would do for him.

.....Good God.
That is a TERRIFYING thought. |: Nidoking will love bp even more now. Though, priority moves would ruin the party... unless sucker punch can finish them off in one blow.

Yeah, I really want to try Nidoking now. Does Stone Edge get boosted by Encourage? The OP doesn't have Stone Edge listed under the attack list for some reason.

I think a psychial nido set will be more useful then a special one...if he got dragon dance...now that be a force to be recond with.

That is a TERRIFYING thought. |: Nidoking will love bp even more now. Though, priority moves would ruin the party... unless sucker punch can finish them off in one blow.

Yeah, I really want to try Nidoking now. Does Stone Edge get boosted by Encourage? The OP doesn't have Stone Edge listed under the attack list for some reason.
I believe Encourage doesn't boost high crit moves. I don't have any hard sources though; I got it from the Rohpushin thread.

Thats terrible, as his physical side didnt really have much going for it. It is kind of sad when comparing his physical movepool to his special.

Rock Slide, Rock Tomb, Level Ground, and Poison Jab... Only Rock Slide and Poison Jab are really worth it for the Encourage boost...

Out of all the mons to have Encourage I've seen so far, I think he really is the King. He has the biggest assload of moves that benefit from it (I think), and is never in a lack of coverage with them. Both STABs, Thunder, Fire Blast, Rock Slide, Blizzard, Shadow Ball AN Focus Blast, with Claw Sharpen to remedy the Accuracy issues on most of those? YES, PLEASE. Add Specs, BP a few Speed boosts, and watch him kebab everything in sight.

Just piping in to say that blasphemy1's special Life Orb set is quite awesome to use! I have him on a team, originally putting him on to absorb Toxic Spikes. He does that perfectly, and breaks through people's cores before they know what hit them! He is rather slow and fragile (slow especially since I've been running Modest...), but it doesn't stop him from being awesome!

Nidoking's also an old favorite of mine, and now I like having an "excuse" to use him in OU, since I've tried before and failed...

That's my 2 cents.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)