UU Nidoqueen

Overview
########
Nidoqueen is viewed as one of the best wallbreakers in the tier, as it has great coverage and massive power due to Sheer Force and Life Orb. It's also known as one of the best offensive Stealth Rock users in the tier, along with being one of the few specially oriented ones. Nidoqueen is no slouch defensively either, as it has good bulk coupled with a great defensive typing which gives it an immunity to Toxic, Toxic Spikes, and Thunder Wave. However, it has a mediocre Speed, and also misses out on a few key moves that Nidoking gets, such as Megahorn. This doesn't stop Nidoqueen though, as it is very easy to fit on a team and is one of the best Pokemon in the tier.
Offensive
########

name: Offensive
move 1: Sludge Wave
move 2: Earth Power
move 3: Stealth Rock
move 4: Ice Beam
ability: Sheer Force
evs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe
item: Life Orb
nature: Modest

Moves
========

Sludge Wave and Earth Power are Nidoqueen's primary STAB moves, which have good coverage in the metagame and let it 2HKO, if not OHKO, a large portion of the tier, including Victini, Mega Manectric, Florges, Shaymin, and Rhyperior. Stealth Rock provides offensive pressure on the opponent, and is easily set up due to the fact that Nidoqueen forces out a lot of Pokemon in the tier. Ice Beam serves as coverage, and lets it nail Pokemon trying to switch in on Earth Power, such as Flygon, Hydreigon, and Gligar.

Set Details
=========

With this set, Nidoqueen becomes an offensive force to be reckoned with while still having enough bulk to be a good check to Fighting- and Bug-type Pokemon in the tier. Thanks to Sheer Force, Life Orb recoil is canceled out, effectively giving Nidoqueen a 1.7x boost to her attacks with no secondary effects. A Modest nature and a Life Orb let Nidoqueen hit as hard as possible. The EVs let Nidoqueen outspeed defensive Roserade, max Speed Empoleon, fast defensive Suicune, and -1 Victini. The rest is invested in bulk and Special Attack. Toxic Spikes and Fire Blast can be used to cripple opponents and hit Bronzong, respectively. This is good for Nidoqueen because it's one of the few Pokemon in the tier that can do this and still be a potent threat.

Usage Tips
========

This set should be setting up Stealth Rock most of the time if Nidoqueen can safely switch in and force the opposing Pokemon out. It should also be double-switching if you predict the opponent to switch into one of Nidoqueen's counters, like Mew or Umbreon. The set is geared towards wallbreaking capabilities and setting up Stealth Rock, while being a good check to a plethora of common types in the metagame, like Fairy, Fighting, and Electric.

Team Options
========

Nidoqueen appreciates Pokemon that can make quick work of special walls, such as Heracross. It also likes Wish support since it usually gets worn down fairly quickly, especially since it doesn't have reliable recovery and lacks Black Sludge. This can come from Wish Passers like Umbreon and Florges. Mega Houndoom is a great partner for Nidoqueen, since it sets up all over common switch-ins to Nidoqueen such as Mew and Umbreon. Hydreigon is also a great partner, as it takes care of Mew, has good offensive and defensive synergy with Nidoqueen, and lures in Florges with U-turn for Nidoqueen to KO.

Defensive
########
name: Defensive
move 1: Ice Beam / Sludge Wave
move 3: Stealth Rock / Toxic Spikes
move 4: Dragon Tail / Roar / Protect
evs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
ability: Sheer Force
item: Black Sludge
nature: Bold

Moves
========

Ice Beam and Earth Power are the primary moves for Nidoqueen, which provide good coverage and hit pretty hard, even without investment. Sludge Wave can be used over Ice Beam, doing good amounts of damage to opponents. However, Nidoqueen will miss out on hitting common Defoggers and Hydreigon if you run Sludge Wave. Stealth Rock or Toxic Spikes can be set up easily, as Nidoqueen forces a lot of switches. Dragon Tail is the preferred phazing move, as it racks up damage and Fairies usually won't come in on Nidoqueen; however, Roar can be used if you fear Substitute users. Protect can be used to scout Choiced sets, and can get free residual recovery.

Set Details
=========

This set lets Nidoqueen serve as one of the best Fighting-, Bug-, and Electric-type counters in the tier. Black Sludge lets it get residual recovery each turn. Bold nature allows Nidoqueen to tank physical hits with ease. The EVs let Nidoqueen outspeed certain threats, mainly uninvested Blastoise, with the rest invested into bulk. Don't use a Relaxed Nature with Dragon Tail as it won't be doing much anyway, and it's not worth it being outsped by Blastoise. Fire Blast can be used, especially with Toxic Spikes, as it gets rid of Forretress and Bronzong, who are both very annoying for this set.

Usage Tips
========
Nidoqueen should be setting up entry hazards once it is able to force a switch, which can let it rack up hazards or poison damage as it starts to phaze. Nidoqueen can force out a lot of Pokemon that get phazed into it, which can give it the opportunity to either hit them hard if they choose to stay in, or phaze again if they will switch out. It's recommended that grounded Poison-types, like Nidoking and Roserade, are eliminated early in the match so that they don't absorb the Toxic Spikes.

Team Options
========
Nidoqueen appreciates Wish support from Pokemon such as Umbreon, Vaporeon, or Florges, as Nidoqueen gets worn down fairly fast. Nidoqueen also pairs well with defensive Pokemon that have good defensive synergy with her, such as Snorlax and Porygon2, as they can take attacks coming from common special attackers like Chandelure with ease. They also make a good lure for Fighting-types. If you're not using Fire Blast, Fire-types such as Victini, Chandelure, and Darmanitan make good partners as they demolish Bronzong and Forretress. Victini fills this role very well, as it also takes out grounded Poison-types such as opposing Nidoqueen, Nidoking, and Roserade with ease, as well as Forretress.

Other Options
########

Fire Blast, Thunderbolt, and Focus Blast are all good coverage options for Nidoqueen, as they let it get through Bronzong, Milotic, and physically defensive Umbreon with relative ease. However, it is usually forced to give up Stealth Rock or Ice Beam for this. Super Fang can be used to stallbreak fairly well, but Nidoqueen has trouble finding a moveslot for it. A physical moveset with Poison Jab, Earthquake, and the elemental punches can be used, but Earthquake makes Nidoqueen take Life Orb recoil and the other moves do significantly less, making it not as viable as a special moveset.

Checks & Counters
########

**Special Walls** Common special walls, like Porygon2, Mew, and Umbreon can all take Nidoqueen's attacks with ease, and can recover back the lost health. Snorlax can also tank hits and can set up on it with relative ease or hit it hard with Earthquake. However, non-Rest variants must watch out for Toxic Spikes.

**Rotom-H** Rotom-H can use Trick or Overheat to cripple Nidoqueen or hit it hard, and specially defensive variants generally have an easy time with it, provided Stealth Rocks are off the field.

** Bulky Water-types** Nidoqueen has a hard time dealing with bulky Water-types, such as Milotic and Suicune, who can recover off damage dealt with ease and set up on it respectively, and can freely cripple it with Scald.

**Bronzong** Nidoqueen gets stopped entirely by Bronzong, who is immune to both STAB moves, Toxic Spikes, and takes minimal damage from Stealth Rock and Ice Beam. It can also damage Nidoqueen with Earthquake, or set up Stealth Rock or screens. Bronzong can't switch in if Nidoqueen is running Fire Blast.

**Ground-types** Nidoqueen can be revenge killed by Ground-types such as Flygon and Hippowdon, who can outspeed and KO or tank an Ice Beam and KO, respectively.

**Forretress** Forretress is a pain for the defensive set, as it can clear away Nidoqueen's entry hazards with ease, is immune to Toxic Spikes, and can set up entry hazards of its own. However, it must be wary of a powerful Earth Power.

Last edited:
That's speed creeping like hell, Bouff. You only need to hit 242 for Honch. The spread should be 40 / 252+ / 216 to that effect. I still think that shouldn't be the standard spread, though, that's more of an alternate spread than anything since you're compromising too much bulk. Also the set name should be Offensive Stealth Rock, Offensive Support, something like that. I dunno what to tell you about the spread, but personally I wouldn't make the standard any faster than 220 for max Spe Empoleon and defensive Rose.

Defensive shouldn't have LO slashed, really. You wanna be switching into Fighting-types so lefties is always better before getting knocked off, and you're not hitting hard enough to warrant the loss of recovery. Also T-Spikes should prolly be a slash, since it allows you to take advantage of Queen's ability to switch into Florges and Umbreon and actually do something (Roar is pretty cool, admittedly, even moreso after Hippo leaves, but I wouldn't keep it as only option). I'm pretty sure you only need 20 EVs for Blaster, so that allows you to run 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe Bold, 240 being a jump point.

EDIT: Oh and Veno and Doom as partners for the defensive set? That's a mistake, right? Those are prolly better fit as partners for the offensive set, if anything...

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
first: focus blast needs to be in OO, at minimum.

EV-wise: meh i dont really like the 128 spe spread this gen cause a big part of why that was cool was togekiss. modest empoleon is even more rare than it was last gen and almost every single roserade runs a lot of speed now that it can sleep + spikes.

i think we should drop it to beating 0 speed cune tbh. that way you can get a hit or two in before it CMs.

Ernesto edit: And that's why I said 'I wouldn't make it any faster than 220' ¬¬ I didn't mean that that should be the standard, more like running more than that was a waste

made said changes, i put 80 instead of 76 to creep 4 speed cune which is pretty much only used if its running roar for pretty much only other cune. i know its not common but ive seen rh156 and a decent amount of other players running it so idk. i can change it back if it's necessary.

also yeah Ernesto that was a mistake meant to add that in offensive sets :o

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
made said changes, i put 80 instead of 76 to creep 4 speed cune which is pretty much only used if its running roar for pretty much only other cune. i know its not common but ive seen rh156 and a decent amount of other players running it so idk. i can change it back if it's necessary.

I thought that creeping + C&C was a no-no. You will have to set it to not even creep 0 spe crocune.

NO NO NO NO NO NO CREEPING IN THE ANALYSES

Reactions: g
If you wanted to outspeed those Cunes that run a bit of Speed, you might as well go for max Spe Cacturne (which Ice Beam Cune would like to beat) at 210. But that's really uncommon so not worth it prolly

Actually the more I think about it, the more I like hitting 220. I was thinking that Cune can go from 0 Spe to 52 for -1 Victini, and that's a really nice point to hit with Nidoqueen since it allows you to revenge kill CB (or to switch in and outspeed and KO if non-choiced). What do you need to hit for that? 219 :o

We can discuss it a bit more, but the ability to beat defensive Rose (which is a thing, koko, whether you choose to believe it or not), fast defensive Cune, -1 Tini, and also max Speed penguin is actually pretty cool if you ask my opinion.

Edit: Fuck koko imo

Last edited:
-In the overview, i think you should mention that it is one of the best offensive SR'ers in the tier and one of the few Special SR'ers in the tier.
-Saying that it misses out on Sucker Punch is a pretty moot comment since Nidoking doesn't run SP like 98% of the time
-Also dwelling on the fact that Nidoqueen is different to Nidoking isn't really that good, i mean you can mention Nidoking but don't downplay Nidoqueen just cause Nidoking plays a different role better than it
-'best mons in the tier' is very subjective and idk if that sort of wording should be included in an analysis but GP can work that shit out :^)
-Pretty much everything needs to be beefed out further,mention that toxic spikes/Fire Blast etc can be used in set details since again, it's one of the few mons in the tier that can do that and still be a very potent offensive threat
-The set is geared towards putting wallbreaking/SR and a good check to fairy/fighting/electric/bug/poison all into one mon, very few mons can boast this kind of ability so nidoqueen should be know as more than just 'it sets up rocks'
-In team details, Nidoqueen shouldnt be relied on to come in on fighting types gunning for Snorlax/P2 since it really only serves as a 1 or 2 time check, depending on who the fighting type is. Nidoqueen should be on teams (especially hyper offense teams) that don't want their SR'er to be gone after 1 turn and have to rely on heavy offensive pressure in order to keep it away, it should however be mentioned that Nidoqueen provides an extremely solid switch in to Florges, ALWAYS forcing it to retreat unless it wants to die and if you look at a type chart, see how many types Nidoqueen is weak to that Hydreigon actually patches, stick this together with Nidoqueen being able to beat Florges and you got yourself quite a nifty little core :]
-Also the coverage of Fireblast/Tbolt etc doesn't have to give up SR but it may force it to forgo Ice Beam in order to hit it which means a lot of ground types have a much easier time vs it.

Basically this needs to be significantly beefed and improved before i give the 3rd QC check, I know you're capable of making a good written analyses Bouff since you were the first one to complete an analysis, but this one needs a lot of work.

Minus

get a dog little longy, get a dog
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Fix your shitty spacing bouf. And Checks and Counters is done wrong, I'll grab a link, just a sec.

Minus

get a dog little longy, get a dog
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Bouff, how about you carefully look through what I linked lol. This way there won't be any serious mess ups when GPing haha.

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
AM GP CHECK
Add
Remove
Comments

Overview
########
Nidoqueen is viewed as one of the best wallbreakers in the tier, as it has great coverage and massive power due to Sheer Force and Life Orb. It's also known as one of the best offensive Stealth Rock users in the tier, along with being one of the few specially oriented ones. It's no slouch defensively either, as it has good bulk coupled with a great defensive typing which gives it an immunity to Toxic, Toxic Spikes, and Thunder Wave. However, it has a mediocre speed, and also misses out on a few key moves that Nidoking gets such as Megahorn. This doesn't stop Nidoqueen though, as it is very easy to fit on a team and is one of the best Pokemon in the tier.
Offensive
########

name: Offensive
move 1: Sludge Wave
move 3: Stealth Rock
move 4: Ice Beam
evs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe
item: Life Orb
nature: Modest

Moves
========

Sludge Wave and Earth Power are Nidoqueen's primary STAB moves, which have good coverage in the metagame and let it 2HKO, if not OHKO a large portion of the tier
like including Victini, Mega Manectric, Florges, Shaymin, and Rhyperior. Stealth Rock lets it provides offensive pressure on the opponent, and is easily set up due to the fact that Nidoqueen forces out a lot of Pokemon in the tier. Ice Beam serves as coverage, and let it nail Pokemon trying to switch in on an Earth Power, such as Flygon, Hydreigon, and Gligar.

Set Details
=========
With this set, Nidoqueen becomes an offensive force to be reckoned with while still having enough bulk to be a good check to Fighting- and Bug-type Pokemon in the tier. Thanks to Sheer Force, Life Orb recoil is canceled, effectively giving Nidoqueen a 1.7x boost to her attacks with no secondary effects. Modest Nature and Life Orb let Nidoqueen hit as hard as possible. The EVs let Nidoqueen outspeed defensive Roserade, max Speed Empoleon, fast defensive Suicune, and -1 Victini. The rest is invested in bulk and Special Attack. Toxic Spikes and Fire Blast can be used to cripple opponents and hit Bronzong, respectively. This is good for Nidoqueen because it's one of the few Pokemon in the tier that can do this and still be a potent threat
this sounds strange. What does it do? Set up Spikes and hit Bronzong?.

Usage Tips
========

This set should be setting up rocks
most of the time if Nidoqueen can safely switch in and force the opposing Pokemon out. It should also be double switching if the opposing side is predicted to switch into one of Nidoqueen's counters, like Mew or Umbreon. The set is geared towards putting wallbreaking capabilities and setting up Stealth Rock, while being a good check to a plethora of common typings types in the metagame, like Fairy, Fighting, and Electric.

Team Options
========

Nidoqueen appreciates Pokemon that can make quick work of special walls,
like such as you seem to use "like" a lot Heracross. It also likes Wish support,(RC) since it usually gets worn down fairly quickly, especially since it doesn't have reliable recovery and lacks Black Sludge. This can comes from Pokemon Wish passers like Umbreon and Florges. Mega Houndoom is also a great partner for Nidoqueen, since it sets up all over common switch-ins to Nidoqueen such as Mew or and Umbreon. Hydreigon is also a great partner, as it takes care of Mew, has good offensive and defensive synergy with Nidoqueen, and lures in Florges with U-turn for Nidoqueen to KO.

Defensive
########
name: Defensive
move 1: Ice Beam / Sludge Wave
move 3: Stealth Rock / Toxic Spikes
move 4: Dragon Tail / Roar / Protect
evs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
item: Black Sludge
nature: Bold

Moves
========

Ice Beam and Earth Power are the primary moves for Nidoqueen, which provide good coverage, and hit pretty hard, even without investment. Sludge Wave can be used over Ice Beam, doing good amounts of damage to the opposing side. However, you miss out on hitting common defoggers
,(RC) along with and Hydreigon. Stealth Rock or Toxic Spikes can be set up easily, as Nidoqueen forces a lot of switches. Dragon Tail is the preferred phazing move, as it racks up damage and fairies usually won't even try to come in on Nidoqueen,(remove comma, add period). however Roar can be used over Dragon Tail if you fear Substitute users. Protect can be used to scout Choiced sets,(RC) and can get free residual recovery.

Set Details
=========

With This set lets,(RC) Nidoqueen can serve as one of the best Fighting, Bug, and Electric counters in the tier. Black Sludge lets it get residual recovery each turn. Bold nature is to make Nidoqueen tank physical hits with ease. The EVs let Nidoqueen outspeed certain threats, mainly uninvested Blastoise, while with the rest is invested into bulk. Don't use Relaxed Nature with Dragon Tail,(RC) as it won't be doing much anyway, and it's not worth it to being outsped by Blastoise. Fire Blast can be used, especially with Toxic Spikes, as it gets rid of Forretress and Bronzong, who are both very annoying for this set.

Usage Tips
========
Nidoqueen should be setting up
rocks entry hazards once it is able to force a switch, which can let it rack up hazard damage or status condition as it starts to phaze. It can force out a lot of Pokemon that get phazed into it which can give Nidoqueen the opportunity to either hit it hard if it chooses to stay in,(add comma) or phaze again if it will switch out. It's reccomended recommended that grounded Poison-types (you forgot a hyphen), like Nidoking and Roserade, are eliminated early in the match so that they don't absorb the Toxic Spikes.

Team Options
========
Nidoqueen appreciates Wish support from Pokemon such as Umbreon, Vaporeon, or Florges, as Nidoqueen gets worn down fairly fast. Nidoqueen also pairs well with defensive Pokemon that can provide good defensive synergy with
Nidoqueen her such as Snorlax and Porygon2, as they can take attacks coming from common special attackers like Chandelure with ease,(RC) like Chandelure. They also make a good lure for fighting types. If you're not using Fire Blast, Fire-types such as Victini, Chandelure, and Darmanitan make good partners as they demolish Bronzong and Forretress. Victini fills this role very well, as it also takes out grounded Poison-types like such as opposing Nidoqueen, Nidoking, and Roserade with ease, as well as defeating (feel free to use a different word here, it just needed to be there) Forretress.

Other Options
########

Fire Blast, Thunderbolt, and Focus Blast are all good coverage options for Nidoqueen, as they let it get through Bronzong, Milotic, and physically defensive Umbreon with relative ease. However, it is usually forced to give up Stealth Rock or Ice Beam for this. Super Fang can be used to break through Stall fairly well, but
it Nidoqueen has trouble finding a moveslot for it. A physical movepool moveset,(RC) including Poison Jab, Earthquake, and the elemental punches can be used, but due to Earthquake giving Nidoqueen retains LO recoil,(RC) and that the other moves do significantly less, make making it not as viable as a special moveset.

Checks & Counters
########
**Special Walls** Common special walls, like Porygon2, Mew, and Umbreon can all take Nidoqueen's
moves attacks with ease, and can recover back the lost health. Snorlax can also tank hits,(RC) and can set up on it with relative ease,(RC) or hit it hard with Earthquake. However, non-Rest variants must watch out for Toxic Spikes.

**Rotom-H** Rotom-H can use Trick or Overheat to cripple
Nidoqueen or hit Nidoqueen it hard accordingly, and specially defensive variants generally have an easy time with it, providing provided Stealth Rocks are off the field.

** Bulky
Waters Water-types** Nidoqueen also has a hard time dealing with bulky waters Water-types, such as Milotic and Suicune, who can recover off dealt damage with ease and set up on it respectively, and can freely cripple it with Scald.

**Bronzong** Nidoqueen gets stopped entirely by Bronzong, who is immune to both STAB moves, Toxic Spikes, and takes minimal damage from Stealth Rock and Ice Beam. It
can also can damage it with Earthquake, or set up Stealth Rocks or screens. However, Bronzong can't switch in safely, however, if Nidoqueen is running Fire Blast.

**Ground-types** Nidoqueen can be revenge killed by Ground-types such as Flygon and Hippowdon, who can outspeed and KO, or tank an Ice Beam and KO respectively.

**Forretress** Forretress is a pain for the defensive set, as it can clear Nidoqueen's
entry hazards stacking with ease, is immune to Toxic Spikes, and can set up hazards of its own. However, it must be wary of a powerful Earth Power.

Nice job!! Sorry this took a little while. I usually don't GP analyses with more than one set. Remember, this in an AM check

EDIT: I have no idea why it's in two parts it just keeps on derping

EDITED EDIT: I replaced a few "like"s because i found them a little repetitive every single time.

Gonna tag Minus and my mentor GatoDelFuego to check this out

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)