ORAS OU Nightmare (Volcanion Bulky Offense, peaked #1)

Ricardo

Banned deucer.
Nightmare

Art created by njnp

Introduction

Hello Everyone!
This is my first rmt on smogon about the new pokemon Volcanion.
njnp gave me some tips on building and then proceeded to build a volcanion team for him.
After a lot of trial and error I finally managed to create the team presented today.
After passing him the team he proceeded to peak #1 on the Showdown ladder with it.
Proof of peak:

Team at glance:

Building Process:

so i started with the core of volcanion and heatran.I went with specs volcanion since it had a really good movepool and breaks every type of fat. I decided to go with offensive solarbeam heatran as it lures most of volcanion's checks which are bulky waters.
I then needed a lati switch in as offensive Heatran is barely a check. I Thought Mega Scizor was really good partner for this core as it switches into latis and can even trap them to help volcanion break through teams better. It also switches into threatenning mons like kyurem-b, Gard and Weavile.
Next I needed a sand check as Excadrill estroyed my team, i also wanted a Lopunny check. I went with Landorus-T as it does all of the above, it sets up Stealth Rocks and it provides momentum with u-turn to help bring Volcanion in.
After adding Lando i wanted a keldeo check since specs keldeo is still a threat despite having to go with 50/50's with Volcanion. I also wanted hazard removal to support Volcanion and mabuse more of it's bulk. Latios was the best choice as it is a solid specs Keldeo swith in, removes hazards and also gives some speed to the party.
Lastly, I wanted a scarfer to help my matchup vs offense, a bisharp check and a secondary Weavile check. Scarf Keldeo was the perfect mon to include in my last slot especially with pursuit support from scizor, making it's job a lot easier vs Offense.

In-Depth Look

Volcanion @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 72 HP / 4 Def / 248 SpA / 184 Spe
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Grass]/Sludge Wave

The star of the team.
Volcanion is a terryfing wallbreaker with it's Main stab Steam eruption (Hydro Scald).
Specs Steam eruption hits everything hard, even resisted mons can take more than 50% due to the high burn chance.
Flamethrower is another of it's stabs helps Volcanion go through bulky grasses such as Mega Venusaur and Amoonguss.
Earth power is there for other Volcanions as Volcanion is one of the best checks to itself.
Last moveslot is debateable between sludge wave and hp grass. I prefer hp grass so i can still go through bulky waters if i need to sack Heatran or it gets haxed and i can't trap waters.
Sludge wave can be run incase you find hp grass redundant or are afraid of fairies.
The spread is so i can live cb azu's superpower after rocks and outspeed defensive lando.

Heatran (M) @ Power Herb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Magma Storm
- Solar Beam
- Earth Power
- Taunt

The second member of my core.
This heatran set is mainly to support Volcanion by either eliminating it's counters or weakening them enough for Volcanion to kill them. I went with Magma Storm and Solarbeam so I can eliminate Volcanion's counters. Earth power is for Volcanion as it kills offensive sets after Magma Storm and rocks. It also prevents defensive Heatrans from setting up rocks. Taunt is mainly for stall, the only switch in for this set is Chansey which i can either kill or weaken enough so it can't switch into Volcanion anymore. Spread is basic. Max sp atk to increase damage output to the max and max speed with Timid so it outspeed offensive Scizor and Heracross.

Scizor-Mega (M) @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 48 Atk / 60 Def / 92 SpD / 60 Spe
Careful Nature
- Pursuit
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn

The mega and second supporter of Volcanion.
Scizor is one of the best megas of OU and A really good supporter for Volcanion. It's the switch in to latis which are the main Volcanion switch in and revengers. Pursuit is a really underrated move on scizor and something I've wanted to try for some time. It helps Killing latis which are Volcanion's main checks in this meta and/or put various mons in range of Volcanion's attacks. Roost is to increase its longevity so it can keep switching in vs a lot of threats like Gardevoir, Kyurem-b, Clefable, etc. Bullet punch is stab and the only priority in the team, it can really help revenging weakened mons vs offense. U-turn is used for when momentum is favoured over trapping and is also nice damage vs a lot of mons. The spread allows Scizor to live hp fire from latios or Draco + Hp fire. It also lives two focus focus blasts from modest Gardevoir after rocks and hp fire from Diancie. The speed is so it outspeeds Adamant azu and Venusaur. Attack is so it 2hkoes Clefable and the rest is sent to defense to help it tank hits from Weavile.

Landorus-Therian @ Yache Berry / Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 248 Def / 12 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 29 Spe
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

The tank.
Landorus-T is a really important member of this team. It checks this team's main problems which are sand and Electrics. Earthquake is the main stab. Stone edge is so it can hit Flyings like Zard Y. U-turn is to help mons like Volcanion get in easier. Stealth rocks are mandatory on every team lol. I had to go with yache lando as Electrics were a big problem for this team, almost an auto win. Yache lando is a great lure as it lures them and either kills them or puts in range of rocks/ Scizor's Bullet Punch, getting rid of their main win cons vs this team. If you're not afraid of electrics then you can run rocky helmet to damage Lopunny And Excadrill. Spread is fairly simple, max hp and max defense to help it take Excadrill's and Lopunny's attacks as best as it can. The spdef ev's are to take special hits better, even if only by a bit. The 29 speed iv's are so it u-turns after other Landos so you are the one getting momentum.

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Defog

The remover of hazards.
Latios is my main keldeo check and also helps vs Zard y. It has enough bulk to check those mons and also provides great team support with Defog. It also eases the match up against fast electrics. Draco Meteor is fur a really strong stab. Psyshock is the secondary and hurt av mons like Torn-T. Roost is so it has sustain to check strong mons like Specs Keldeo and Zard Y especially taking life orb damage. Defog is to get rid of hazards to help maximize the bulk of mons like Volcanion and Scizor.

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Electric]

The Scarfer.
Keldeo is a great scarfer with high speed and a really good unboosted sp atk, especially with the support of Scizor removing it's main checks through Pursuit. Keldeo and Volcanion also create some kind of mini water spam core within the team as volcanion can strike really hard and burn their checks possibly letting keldeo pull a late game sweep. Scald is Keldeo's main stab and easily one of the best moves in the game, burning down it's checks. Secret Sword is another great stab letting Keldeo hurting special walls like Chansey a lot by striking it on the special side. It also helps vs certain av mons. Hydro Pump is used to have the power that Scald can't give and is a really great late game vs offense. HP Electric is so Gyarados doesn't setup on Keldeo and is also good coverage vs waters.
Replays
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-360391934 - vs ABR Stall

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-360207987

Conclusion

I wanted to show a team that I really think has potential to be used in high ladder or even in tournaments. It showcases a very cool offensive core in volcanion and heatran which work together to break each others checks and also showcases volcanion and keldeo which also work similarly in that volcanion breaks keldeo switch ins for keldeo to clean up lategame. I tried to refine it as much as i could and am very proud of it. It's one of the few teams i made which i think is really solid. I hope you guys enjoy it :]
Special thanks to:

njnp - gave me the Volcanion set and peaked with it. Helped with the rmt.
obii - Helping me with the rmt.
Lufia - Refining the Scizor spread and testing.
DeeJ - Gave me a lot of solid building tips.

Import- http://pastebin.com/RPJifcPZ

Attachments

Last edited:
THIS TEAM GETS 6-0ed BY MIXED LIFE ORB THUNDURUS!!!

All jokes aside though, Thundurus and fast electrics in general are insanely threatening so I think yache on lando should be the only option because without it, you can hardly stop fast electrics from getting a kill every time they come in.

- Otherwise, very cool team, proud of you friend =]

Ricardo

Banned deucer.
THIS TEAM GETS 6-0ed BY MIXED LIFE ORB THUNDURUS!!!

All jokes aside though, Thundurus and fast electrics in general are insanely threatening so I think yache on lando should be the only option because without it, you can hardly stop fast electrics from getting a kill every time they come in.

- Otherwise, very cool team, proud of you friend =]
Yeah, this team gets 6-0ed by mane, and just checking isn't enough since it just volts out, i had to lure it into killing it.
LMAO, That video was godly.
Thanks a lot for the input bro, i appreciate it :]

Last edited:
Nice team.

Manectric weakness has already been mentioned, I feel like the team is easily pressured by Talonflame, especially when paired with Pinsir.

Hippowdon > Lando looks good to remedy the Manectric weaknesses on paper, but Hippo would be a serious momentum killer and Latios as a sole ground immunity isn't too favourable.

Team has hit #1 therefore success speaks for itself.

Great team and a brilliant innovation with using Volcanion.
I definitely feel that fast electrics do give the team some grief, however the team Peaked #1.
Well done on your success fam and keep up the great work :)

Ricardo

Banned deucer.
Nice team.

Manectric weakness has already been mentioned, I feel like the team is easily pressured by Talonflame, especially when paired with Pinsir.

Hippowdon > Lando looks good to remedy the Manectric weaknesses on paper, but Hippo would be a serious momentum killer and Latios as a sole ground immunity isn't too favourable.

Team has hit #1 therefore success speaks for itself.
You are definitely right.
Non rh lando makes the birdspam matchup really though, offensive talonflame is the variant that volcanion has trouble handling.
Hippo could be good but as you said, i lose way too much momentum and a ground immunity.
it also gives Excadrill a totally free sd, it might be better than lando if you're not running yache though.
Thanks for the opinion man :]

Ricardo

Banned deucer.
Great team and a brilliant innovation with using Volcanion.
I definitely feel that fast electrics do give the team some grief, however the team Peaked #1.
Well done on your success fam and keep up the great work :)
Thanks a lot, hope you like the team man :]

Ricardo

Banned deucer.
Hippo over lando t to solve fast eltrics problem mixed defensive as a possible option :)
That isn't the first time i was suggested hippo.
After trying with hippo ofter lando mane truly got better at handling, the team got way more passive though, without momentum i can't bring Volcanion in as easily and can't perserve it's hp as much as i'd like to take more advantage of it's bulk.
The matchup vs sand gets much worse too since Excadrill sets up on hippo.
If you're having trouble with electrics even with yache i'd definitely encourage you to go with hippo.
You're free to use it however you like bud :]

on second thoughts you could run latias over latios to with electric types it only a little thing but i think it would help abit since latias has a higher base spdef i'd run the same set on it though with the same evs or the 72 hp max speed 184 spa set

its little but it may help ;)

if this team is ment to be bulky offense dont use hippo then other wise i think hippo should be fine on here. Hippo stops volt turn i made a similar team like this but the core was specs volcanion + scarf tar + latios. The team was made day 1 i reached top 60s dropped all the way down lol. But the other 3 mons were literally in this order when added: LO torn T yache lando T and then bulky SD mega scizor. Almost same teams tho :] made that team i mentioned day 1 of when Volcanion came out

Ricardo

Banned deucer.
if this team is ment to be bulky offense dont use hippo then other wise i think hippo should be fine on here. Hippo stops volt turn i made a similar team like this but the core was specs volcanion + scarf tar + latios. The team was made day 1 i reached top 60s dropped all the way down lol. But the other 3 mons were literally in this order when added: LO torn T yache lando T and then bulky SD mega scizor. Almost same teams tho :] made that team i mentioned day 1 of when Volcanion came out
I also built and peaked with this team the day volcanion was released, the hype was too much xD.
The problem i see with volcanion teams is that they all look the same.
It's pretty much Volcanion + sand check + lati check, maybe a trapper if you can fit.
I need to try your team, volcanion + lo torn sounds awesome :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)