Nintendo DS Game Recommendations

I finally got my microSD card for my R4 (2gb) so I'm now good to go! So far I've downloaded:

Assassin's Creed: Altair's Chronicles - not bad, not great
Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games - awesome, very fun!
Club House Games - Nice variety and good to pass the time
Phoenix Wright 1-3 - Interesting, a bit slow paced for me though
Digimon Dusk - I like the idea of Digimon, but dislike the game quite strongly after about two to three hours play...
Dragon Quest Monsters Joker - Like so far, four hours into it.
Brain Training 1 and 2 - Nice to spend ten minutes at a day.
Geometry Wars - Interesting and addicitve!
New Super Mario Brothers - It's Mario, how can it not be good!
World Series of Poker 2008 - The AI is just mad...

If anyone wants more info on the games above, just ask!

Post what's on your R4 and what DS games you'd recommend to everyone else!

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't have one, but I'm seriously thinking about it..

I'm really looking forward to Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates, (wow that's a mouthful) so if/when it's possible to get it do you think you'd be able to give me an idea of how good it is? I'll probably buy it anyway as my friends wants to multiplayer, but I don't want to be ripped off either lol.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I honestly don't understand:
1. Why you say "I have an R4, tell me what to download" instead of "What are your favourite DS games" unless you don't understand downloading ROMs is illegal?
2. Why this is in Congregation instead of Internet Renaissance

Anyway. I have an M3 Real but it's sitting sort of unused since I keep buying my games and haven't found an easy way to transfer my old multiplayer games to it easily. I want my 3star Mario Kart file on it, not a new one =[

Games I own and love:
- Phoenix Wright 1 - 3 (My favourite single player DS games)
- Mario Kart DS (My favourite multiplayer DS games)
- Trauma Center: Under the Knife
- Advance Wars DS and Advance Wars DoR
- Jump Superstars
- Pokemon Pearl (er, probably a bit redundant to state this on this site)
- Kirby Canvas Curse

I have an thought was decent:
- Metroid Prime Hunters
- The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

I have but haven't really played much of:
- Hotel Dusk: Room 215
- Metroid Prime Pinball

Next game I buy is Apollo Justice Ace Attorney or Professor Layton and the Curious Village.

I am looking at the games you have now and am salivating at the thought of being able to get those games on an R4.

Unfortunately I dont have one. I have been wanting one as of late. Not sure where to get one for a good deal though.

Havak, Cyrstal Chronicles is on the list of games I'm looking forward to! I'll definitely let you know what I think of it!

The savings are the main reason I got the R4. The whole package cost less than one new game on the shops, anyone that has the option should really get one.

I was under the impression that "downloading ROMs is illegal" is a very misleading statement, as the legality of Roms have to do with whether or not you own a copy of the original game, and also with various conflicting pieces of legislation and case law.

I could have started the thread in the wrong place alright...

Firestorm, if you feel like changing the thread title to "Nintendo DS Games", by all means go ahead, and I'd appreciate it!

Sonuis

Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated!
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I was under the impression that "downloading ROMs is illegal" is a very misleading statement, as the legality of Roms have to do with whether or not you own a copy of the original game, and also with various conflicting pieces of legislation and case law.
Having any sort of ROM of a game is illegal whether you own the said game or not. Deleting it after 24 hours doesn't make it legal either.

Firestorm

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Havak, Cyrstal Chronicles is on the list of games I'm looking forward to! I'll definitely let you know what I think of it!

The savings are the main reason I got the R4. The whole package cost less than one new game on the shops, anyone that has the option should really get one.

I could have started the thread in the wrong place alright...

Firestorm, if you feel like changing the thread title to "Nintendo DS Games", by all means go ahead, and I'd appreciate it!
My stance on piracy is that if you try the game and like it, you should buy it. Sadly most don't do that.

No, it's illegal no matter what. If you create the backup yourself, then that's legal. Downloading a ROM, even if you own it, is illegal. The 24 hour rule you might hear is not true either.

I suggest you check out "Dementium: The Ward". It's a cross between Doom and Silent Hill. One of those games that you don't want to be playing alone at home.

Phoenix Wright 1-3, once again, ridiculously good games

Advance Wars DS is very good but DoR is far superior, especially considering wi-fi

Castlevania series overall awesome

Meteos

really Firestorm's list covers most of what I'd say.

you'll want to pick the original digimons ds game, it is much better than those pieces of shit dawn/dusk. my only compaint begin that those two have WAAAY more digimon :(

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
ya, digimon world ds is...im not gonna say better, just more different. it has a much more childish story, but leveling goes by 100x faster, and it doesnt take 20 minutes to do a boss battle. i stopped playing it a couple days ago after the last boss raped me. the only thing left to do was just grind levels to beat him. plus it got less intresting seeing how you could run into mega lvl digimon in the wild.

im actually about 3 hours into dusk right now and its going so slow....but the amount of digimon in it is great.

Whats already been said is all great and good. I would recommend Elite beat Agents and Megaman Starforce.

Elite Beat Agents is a rhythm based game that uses the stylus to tap beat to a song, very addicting I might add, with some cool music and multi-player options. Megaman Starforce is like any Battle Network game only the board is flipped around, still fun though.

I think most of the games I'd recommend have already been mentioned. Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime is a fun little game, albeit a bit on the easy side. Chocobo Tales is a minigame compilation essentially that's pretty fun. I think other than that I'll just go ahead and reiterate that Mario Kart, Meteos, Kirby Canvas Curse, Trauma Center, Hotel Dusk, Zelda, and Phoenix Wright(all 3) are all worth playing.

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Zephyrman said:
Wrong. Downloading ROMs is illegal (in the United States). The only legal way to use a ROM is to make a single archival copy, which you must do yourself -- downloading a copy from someone else does not count.

Besides what has already been mentioned here, there's also Super Mario 64 DS, Contra 4, Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventure, and the Castlevania games. Those are worth it to at least check out.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
if you want an awesome puzzle game, try snood 2. its a cheap game, but the gameplay is awesome. i would highly recommend it to anyone.

Jump Ultimate Stars - SSBB-like game with Shonen Jump characters. There are a lot of problems with balance in the gameplay, but it's still enjoyable. The deck creation system is really nicely done. You combine different manga panels together to create your team of characters - bigger panels are characters you actually use in battle (each character has several shapes from different manga scenes, which affects their health and some of their attacks), smaller ones are "support" characters that you can call out for one attack (predecessor to Assist Trophies, perhaps), while the smallest ones just provide passive boosts. The amount of characters here is pretty nice - something like 41 different series with 56-ish battle characters and a massive number of supports (at least 150). Also, it's only available in Japanese, but it's still perfectly playable if you've got a translation guide (the only real things you'll need to translate are the mission objectives). Again, the ease of abusing some game mechanics really detracts from the online gameplay, and it can be a bit hard to find a community as well (Random Wi-fi exists, but hackers abound), but the game is still quite fun. 8/10

Kirby: Canvas Curse - An absolutely amazing game. Directing Kirby by drawing lines with the stylus feels awesome, and though the game lessens the emphasis on abilities, this actually feels a bit better, since you can focus more on the awesome controls and gameplay. Unfortunately, the mini-games are decent at best and absolutely awful at worst (the detection on the connect-the-dots game makes me want to cry), and of course you're forced to do very well at them to get 100%. Music is pretty nice. The game is also very, very short, though the game does throw some stuff at you (different characters, secrets in levels, time trials) to keep the game going. Overall a recommended purchase. 8.5/10

Meteos - If you've played Planet Puzzle League or Tetris attack, this'll feel pretty similar. The difference here is that you're shifting blocks vertically instead of horizontally, and blocks will fly upwards in stacks instead of just disappearing. This leads to excellent and fast-paced puzzle gameplay that does a great job of feeling familiar and unique at the same time. The presentation here is awesome as well - each of the different planets has it's own unique music, look, and physics, and there are enough unlockables to keep you going for a long time. The one scar on this game's beautiful face is the lack of Wi-Fi - the game is an absolutely perfect fit for it, but the support sadly isn't there. There are a few other minor flaws (it can be hard to see the colors of blocks when they're flashing), but this game is a masterpiece overall, even without Wi-fi play. 9/10

Firestorm

Meteos is also by Sakurai. Support the man who made the game of the forever.

I've thought of trying Jump Ultimate Stars but I remember my friend saying he got spoiled for Naruto by doing that =/ Something about Kakashi. Although I think I'll be reaching that point in the anime soon. I'm on episode 28 or something of Shipuuden. But if it uses anything from the upcoming One Piece anime arc (Thriller Bark I think?), I won't play it.

I've thought of trying Jump Ultimate Stars but I remember my friend saying he got spoiled for Naruto by doing that =/ Something about Kakashi. Although I think I'll be reaching that point in the anime soon. I'm on episode 28 or something of Shipuuden. But if it uses anything from the upcoming One Piece anime arc (Thriller Bark I think?), I won't play it.
Nope, it's alright. It only goes up to the Enies Lobby Arc. (If you're up to that?)

Truly awesome game.

fun games on the ds:

advance wars DoR (or DS)

either castlevania title (PoR is a bit > DoS)

zelda phantom hourglass is short and not super challenging but alot of fun to play with just the stylus

kirby canvas curse has the same control elements of zelda (except more pure stylus) and is a fun platformer

new super mario bros is of course great

super mario 64 is great for nostalgia (i found the controls/camera a little wonky though)

mario and luigi partners in time is not a great title but its ok if you like rpgs...

ff3 i just didnt enjoy; the way the job system is set up makes it hard to really enjoy the grind.

Haven’t read through all the replies, but I think you should download Ipod to your DS. It shows the circular touch pan on the lower screen of the DS, then you just use your touch screen pen to search through the songs.

I found a 1Gb Scandisk Micro SD card in my room the over day. It was meant for my mobile phone, but I'm guessing it can be used in the DS also? So all I need now is the R4.... I've searched a through sites but they cost like £40 - £50, how much you pay Zephyr man? And what website you get it from?

The thing that makes me smile most about the R4/micro SD, is that games downloaded can still be played online =b. <3Mario kart<3

I'd forgotton about that. It certainly shows at times, though (I was half expecting to hear "CONGRATULATIONS!" in the SSBM announcer's voice when I finished a special objective).

As DeathScythe said, there's nothing from Thriller Bark. As far as Naruto goes, ep 42 of Shippuden is about as far as you need to be caught up.

Firestorm

Awesome, thanks for the info guys. Hopefully I'm on 42 of Shippuuden by the time I finish Advance Wars, Apollo Justice, and maybe Professor Layton. Then I'll look into Ultimate Stars.

This is perhaps the wrong place to ask, but since some of you have played the new Advance Wars, have they gotten rid of dual CO powers? That was the aspect of the first DS one that I hated

Firestorm

This is perhaps the wrong place to ask, but since some of you have played the new Advance Wars, have they gotten rid of dual CO powers? That was the aspect of the first DS one that I hated
There are no 2v2 as far as I know. I'm on Mission 12 or something and still have not been given CO powers to use. This is the first match I can actually use my CO in battle. Before this it was all generic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)