No love for the lesser dragon? An OU RMT.

No love for the lesser dragon?

Introduction:
After taking a long break to play VGC and TCG, I come back to find Latias, the red dragon, booted out of OU to Ubers. Happy to oblige with this change, I was inspired to play OU again. Wanting to make a team around a very good card in the Trading Card Game, Kingdra Prime I discovered that the blue sea horse had a chance in the new metagame to sweep now that Latias was gone. So that's what this RMT is about, the lesser blue sea horse of OU, Kingdra.

From Behind:

Pros and cons:
4 pokemon immune to Toxic Spikes
None weak to Stealth Rocks
3 resistance to Stealth Rocks
2 immune to spikes
4 Sandstorm immunities

A tour of my team

So here came Kingdra, who has the fantastic offensive typing of Dragon/Water, wonderful stats of
75/95/95/95/95/85, and a gigantic movepool.

Magnezone floated towards Kingdra, to protect Kingdra from the bulky waters with it's shocking lightning attacks.

Kingdra, hates being one hit point away from a KO, so he hired Swampert to set out the rocks!

After Kingdra decided to have a spin blocker to prevent Stealth Rocks from being blown away and something to surprise other Swampert with, Rotom-C rolled over to the bunch.

Flygon was always a good choice for revenge killing pokemon that were fast or already had stat-ups and could cause a problem. So Flygon hopped on board.

Kingdra needed set-up bait. Scizor lures in fire attacks, so Scizor flew towards the team.

Up front and close

Swampert (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 Spd
Relaxed nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Comments: One of the most sturdiest leads, and can hold its ground against other leads and many sweepers. Swampert's EV's and item, leftovers give it a nice bulky and withstanding defense that will make it last long enough for it to get it's job done. I gave it 4 Spd so it would outspeed other Swampert by 1 point. The moveset that Swampert contains is quite standard, (actually the whole set is standard) Earthquake and Ice Beam to take out common leads and sweepers. Stealth rock is to wear out and net some key KO's on certain pokemon. And finally we have roar, I chose it over protect because I like to scout for Bulky Waters and other pokemon that could harm or ruin Kingdra's chance to shine, and take them out early. Overall one of the best pokemon to lead with. Here's a list of common leads and how he fairs against them.

Common leads:

- Switch out to Flygon and proceed to U-Turn, for about 64.6% - 76.3% for a regular no defense or HP investment Azelf. I can either U-Turn to Rotom-C if I predict a explosion or switch out to Scizor for a Bullet Punch to it's head.

- Auto two hit KO with ice beam. 50.3% - 59.6% for a 4 HP Aerodactyl.

- I outspeed by 1 point and we both set up SR. Then I go on and Roar to scout their team.

- I set up rocks and Earthquake for the win, unless I predict an explosion.

- I out speed it, so I can set up rocks and switch to Rotom-C to Will-o-wisp and finish it off.

- If I think it won't trick me a scarf then I set up rocks if I think it does trick me the scarf then I switch to Flygon and U-Turn to whatever counters the switch.

- I set up Rocks, but if it uses encore I switch out to Flygon and use Earthquake. If it doesn't then I use Earthquake on Swampert.

- Set up rocks and roar away.

- Get the rocks out and Earthquake to victory.

- I usually set up the rocks, but I have to be careful of explosion, taunt, and Hidden Power Grass.

Synergy:
- Scizor, Magnezone

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 160 HP/176 Atk/4 Spd/168 SDef
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Comments: What's a team without Scizor? This I guess, is a special Scizor. The top percentile of Scizor. My Scizor will beat your Scizor. This is a standard CB Scizor, but with a twist in the EV's. The EV's listed above give Scizor the ability to survive Draco Meteors coming from Salamence and allows it in general to last longer. Scizor plays two important roles in the success of this team. a. Luring out fire types or pokemon that Kingdra can set up a Dragon Dance or Substitute on. or b. (If Kingdra didn't sweep) Finishing off what Kingdra left behind with priority moves. The metal bug can also rid Kingdra of Celebi which is pretty bulky and could damage if not stop Kingdra's win. Superpower is for, well I guess just using brute force to get out of a situation.

Synergy:
- Swampert, Flygon, Kingdra

Magnezone @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 40 Atk/216 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Explosion

Comments: Magnezone is one of the most key and valuable members to this entire team. It has a great amount of Sp.Atk and a decent speed, with the rest filled into the atk for a nice boom in the end. For me this guy always takes out at least one pokemon if not more. Magnezone also has the ability, Magnet pull which traps metal types like CB Scizor and set up a sub on them to deal more pain. I decided to put Leftovers as the item because as it generates subs and takes blows it needs a form of recovery. The floating magnet was put on my team to get rid of bulky waters, like Suicune, Empoleon, and Swampert with Thunderbolt and HP Grass or any bulky pokemon in general, and to take out at least one pokemon with explosion. Hidden Power Grass was chosen to take out Swampert and Hippowdon. Magnezone also acts as a bait for fire attacks/ pokemon that Kingdra can set up on.

Synergy:
- Swampert, Flygon, Kingdra
- Rotom-C
- Rotom-C, Flygon

Rotom-c @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 Spd
- Thunderbolt
- Will-o-Wisp
- Substitute
- Pain Split

Comments: Rotom-C provides me type synergy (resistance to fighting and ground), and the ability to switch into most attacks and take a blow with its amazing bulk, from the EV spread listed above. Leftovers is mandatory for the lawnmower to survive and switch in repeatedly. Rotom-C supplies me with a backup to Gyarados, Hippowdon, and Swampert if Magenzone dies or explodes early with Will-o-Wisp. This machine also prevents the Stealth Rocks from being spun away, with Substitute and Pain Split, Rotom-C has the ability to take down Blissey and other high HP walls while healing so much needed HP. Even though Rotom-C can't hit ground types most of them are physical attacks which are easily stalled out by the combination or Will-o-Wisp, Sub, and Pain Split. Thunderbolt is thunderbolt. STAB is always good to take out Gyarados and Bulky Waters.

Synergy:
- Scizor, Magnezone
- Scizor, Magnezone

Flygon (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Comments: Flygon is also a team player that can take out and revenge kill many pokemon that threaten Kingdra's sweep. Flygon's EV spread is standard. A lot of power and a lot of speed. Flygon provides a nice ground immunity and fire resistance that my team badly needs (Magnezone and Scizor are weak and Swampert might not be around long enough to take the hits). His move coverage is amazing, he covers 11 out of the 17 types for super-effectiveness, he has both STAB's as his attacks, and 3 of his moves are 100 or more base power. With his amazing type coverage he is a perfect revenge-killer that can take out most things once they are weakened. What makes this dragon even more awesome is he can scout with U-Turn and take a big chunk of hitpoints out of the opponent while doing that. Overall Flygon is one of the pokemon that glue this team together.

Synergy:
- Scizor, Magnezone
- Scizor, Magnezone

Kingdra (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 184 HP/152 Atk/8 SpD/164 Spe
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Substitute
- Waterfall

Comments: I would say out of all the dragons of OU (besides Dragonite) Kingdra was the least used for a standard OU team. But Kingdra isn't really that bad. A 540 BST, base stats of 75/95/95/95/95/85, and a nice unique dragon/water type combination. That makes it only weak to dragon, and since Latias is gone the only dragon Kingdra has to worry about after a DD or two is Scarf Flygon, which makes Kingdra the blue seahorse an excellent candidate for a star of a team. I gave Kingdra the standard 252/252 but I'm still playing around with the spread. Leftovers is to help recover from the damage taken from creating substitutes. Dragon dance and Substitute are mandatory for a SubDDdra (DUHH) and Outrage and Waterfall provide perfect coverage on everything except for Empoleon and Shedinja. I feel this is a great pokemon, but it's spread could be better. Thanks Nintendo gamer for the epic EV spread.

Synergy:
- Scizor, Magnezone

Problems:

Lucario and Rotom

Possible Solutions:
Scarf Jirachi?
Scarf Heatran?

The last glance:

That's my team! Rate plox!

Team looks good but you're Lucario weak. You may want to make Rotom-C into a Scarfed Rotom-H.
This might just be my experience, but I have found success with Magnet Rise on Magnezone, it's great for Dusknoir and Metagross in particular, but if you value Explosion that much it's still a good option.
An opposing Rotom could cause a lot of trouble for this team too.

Team looks good but you're Lucario weak. You may want to make Rotom-C into a Scarfed Rotom-H.
This might just be my experience, but I have found success with Magnet Rise on Magnezone, it's great for Dusknoir and Metagross in particular, but if you value Explosion that much it's still a good option.
An opposing Rotom could cause a lot of trouble for this team too.
Thanks for the rate, do you think Scarf Heatran over Flygon would be good? I would hate having three choice pokemon. =P Scarftran can outspeed and 1HKO Lucario with Earthpower and most Rotom will be 2HKO'ed by Fire Blast.

Heatran can revenge-kill Lucario but your opponent will be switching out to one of the many things that counters Heatran every time you try to Earth Power Luke, and due to your lack of a Spinner and Wisher residual damage will pile up until Lucario's +2 Life Orb Extremespeed will KO Heatran. When dealing with something as powerful as Lucario, I always pack a sure-fire counter. But again, that's just my preference.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
Kingdra is one of my favorite Water types, and I love seeing him on teams. :)

I am not a fan of that EV spread, though, as it does not take advantage of Kingdra's bulk. Recently, I have been using a different EV spread for Kingdra, and it looks like this:

Kingdra @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
EVs: 184 HP/160 Atk/164 Spe

184 Speed EVs gives you a good leftovers number, and 164 Speed EVs lets you outspeed Choice Scarf Tyranitar after one Dragon Dance, and positive natured base 100s with a Choice Scarf after 2 Dragon Dances. 184 HP EVs allow you to set up on Rapid Spin Starmie, as Thunderbolt only breaks its substitute 8% of the time.

A 184 HP/156 Atk/4 SpD/164 Spe spread allows Rapid Spin Starmie to never break your substitute without a crit, but you are hitting an odd number with the attack EVs.

I can't see any major weakness, except Lucario, so I would second using Scarf Rotom-H, but that would give you three choice users. Consider replacing Scizor with Wish Calm Mind Jirachi, who gives your team much needed wish support. Scizor does not really check anything anyway.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
EVs: 252 HP/216 Def/40 Spe
-Wish
-Calm Mind
-Thunderbolt
-Psychic

EVs let you out-speed most Defensive Celebi and Zapdos and give you great physical bulk.

Good luck

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well I love using Kingdra too. I am not sure why Magnetzone is needed though. sure it handles some bulky waters but other pokemon can do this too. I think an Offensive Shaymin can do a better job beating bulky waters than Magnetzone. This is because scizor is little threat to your team. Scizor gives rotom a free switch in and Kingdra can set upon Bullet Punchs. Magnetzone removes a set up fodder pokemon for Kingdra which is why I believe that shaymin is beter suited to the task of checking buly waters.

Have a Nice Day!

Semi Gengar weak? I see Rotom dieing to Shadow Ball and it denting most of your switch ins bar Scizor and Swampert who takes about 40%. Second your strategy against Machamp is flawed as Payback will OHKO Rotom and with Lum Berry being standard Will-O-Wisp will rarely work leaving Machamp to keep on trucking.

Maybe run ScarfTar over ScarfGon as Pursuit is nice, you still have Earthquake, and fighting is immunified (Not a real word I know) by Rotom.

Thanks for the rates guys.

Kingdra is one of my favorite Water types, and I love seeing him on teams. :)

I am not a fan of that EV spread, though, as it does not take advantage of Kingdra's bulk. Recently, I have been using a different EV spread for Kingdra, and it looks like this:

Kingdra @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
EVs: 184 HP/152 Atk/8 SpD/164 Spe

184 Speed EVs gives you a good leftovers number, and 164 Speed EVs lets you outspeed Choice Scarf Tyranitar after one Dragon Dance, and positive natured base 100s with a Choice Scarf after 2 Dragon Dances. 8 Special Defense EVs allow you to set up on Rapid Spin Starmie, as Thunderbolt never breaks its substitute.

I can't see any major weakness, except Lucario, so I would second using Scarf Rotom-H, but that would give you three choice users. Consider replacing Scizor with Wish Calm Mind Jirachi, who gives your team much needed wish support. Scizor does not really check anything anyway.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
EVs: 252 HP/216 Def/40 Spe
-Wish
-Calm Mind
-Thunderbolt
-Psychic

EVs let you out-speed most Defensive Celebi and Zapdos and give you great physical bulk.

Good luck
Scizor is my Mence check, but I guess I won't let it get a DD up. ;)

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Actually Nintendo Gamer has a very good point. CM Jirachi is an excel;lent choice for the team and Swampert checks Mence anyway. Also, with CM Jirachi its also possiable for run a Roserade over Magnetzone if you wish since Toxic Spikes make it much easier for both Kingdra and Jirachi to sweep as the Toxic spikes wear down bulky waters that may give them trouble.

Have a Nice Day!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)