ORAS OU No Matter What They Say, I Am Still the King

A storm is comin'

Hey, guys! It's been a very long while since I last posted, because I never seem to have time between work and music. Anyway, I've liked the idea of Nidoking in this meta for a while now, so I decided to make a team around him.

Nidoking @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Sucker Punch
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

This thing is a monster. With incredibly hard hitting Poison and Ground type STAB attacks and incredible coverage, Nidoking causes some huge problems fr a lot of teams right now and can easily find a spot on any team. Sludge Wave and Earth Power are the obligatory STAB moves. Ice Beam is for coverage. This is mostly to catch Mons on the switch and take out those bulky Chomps. This was chosen over Flamethrower, because I don't really have a problem with Scizor or Ferrothorn. Earth Power usually does sufficient damage to both if I need damage, anyway. Sucker Punch is a move you don't see on the king too often. Again, I decided I didn't need Flamethrower, so I decided another form of priority would be nice. This allows Nidoking to pick off weakened Mons, hit Lati@s hard, and clean up late game. It also adds an element of surprise, which I feel helps out HO quite a bit.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 248 HP / 140 Def / 76 SpD / 44 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance

Ahh, bulky Chomp. The counter to all things Talonflame. With the ability to set rocks, counter several problematic Pokemon, and deal out some hefty damage, Chomp fit right in on the team. Garchomp is usually the lead of choice. I decided to go with am SD/DClaw/EQ set for maximum damage. Often all I need is some prior damage and rocks up to sweep a team, so punching some holes is nice. I find this set to come in handy against non-Quag stall and balance teams.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Nobody really likes this guy; I get it. Rotom helps with so much on this team to let him go, though. The combination of bulk and power allows Rotom to come in on threats such as Bird and Scizor with ease and deal some nice damage before getting out of there. Rotom also helps dent and take out some walls my team doesn't enjoy having around, such as Chomp and Hippo. Volt switch can play a huge role in battles, as well, giving me switch advantage, and allowing me to bring in my sweepers unscathed to do some cleaning. The move set is pretty standard and self-explanatory.

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Hidden Power [Fire]

The first of the fast sweepers. Latios is an all around great Pokemon to have on any team. Dracos help punch holes in teams for other sweepers if Lati isn't doing the job himself. Defog gets rid of those annoying hazards (The team really isn't bothered by rocks, but this is always nice to have against stall.) HP Fire is there to hit Ferro and Scizor on the switch.

Alakazam @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

Alakazam has always been one of my favorite Mons to use. Zam is mainly used as a late game sweeper. Once the opponent's team has been weakened and threats like Weavile and Talonflame have been taken care of, Alakazam can easily clean up. Psychic and Shadow Ball are seen on almost every Zam set. Focus Blast is there to hit Heatean and Ferro hard. Taunt is there for stall teams and to force Chansey to get out.

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Iron Tail

Lopunny is a Pokemon I rarely use, however it fit right in on this team. I wanted something that could not only use priority, but have incredible speed, power, and synergy with the rest of my sweepers. Between Lopunny, Zam, Lati, and Nidoking, nearly every team is broken down very quickly. Iron Tail is an addition to the move set that I'm not too big on. I rarely use it, but when it goes off, catching a Clef or Diancie by surprise, the game is usually over. Baton Pass may be a better option, though.

That's the team.​

Last edited:

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
Hey, nice team, I love the Nidoking :) I'll try to help out with finding some notable threats, and suggesting ways to deal with them. With Garchomp's Tank Chomp set, the focus is to switch in and then force chip damage, and usually phase opponents out with Dragon Tail. Swords Dance is a nice option on Garchomp, but it's better off on Lum Berry or Life Orb variants. For your team, Mega Lopunny is a big threat (as it is to offense in general), and Tank Chomp is your best bet to handle it. Weavile also tears this team apart really easily, but Rotom-W might be enough to handle it. One thing I noticed is that you don't have a dragon resist, which isn't too bad, but it means Latios and Zard X can spam Draco Meteor and Dragon Claw respectively, forcing you to sack a member every time it comes out. For that reason specifically, I believe Scizor could be run over Alakazam. Scizor is able to take a Draco from Latios, and kill it with Pursuit. Scizor also forms a volt turn core with Rotom-W, providing more momentum to get your other mons in, and it's also able to beat Weavile pretty easily. Having Scizor also gives you an easy way to defeat fairy types, most notably Clefable, and also opens up the final slot on Lopunny in place of Iron Tail.

Running Dragon Tail + Endure > Dragon Claw + Swords Dance can be really helpful in order to handle some of the biggest threats to offense in Mega Lopunny, Azumarill, and Weavile (Endure means it'll take more Life Orb damage). It's also really handy if you wanna take down some set up sweepers like Talonflame, that think they'll kill you at +2 with Brave Bird, and then end up losing over half their health to not even kill you, which also means they have to take 29% again if they wanna kill you.

The EV spread that's usually run for the defensive pivot is 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD. This allows Rotom-W to tank hits better from physical attackers, as well as Keldeo's Secret Sword. Having the bulk makes it easier to pull off a Will-O-Wisp, or get a Volt Switch as well. One option that's not completely necessary, but rather something that may interest you is running Thunder Wave over Will-O-Wisp or maybe even Pain Split. Thunder Wave would really help the team for speed control, since mons like Zard X can setup on Rotom-W, and really give you a tough time. A simple paralyze can cripple nearly anything, and could be helpful since Garchomp already punishes physical attackers.

Since you won't be needing Iron Tail due to having Scizor, you can run Power Up Punch. This gives you a set up sweeper, and is really helpful when fat mons like Hippowdon and Mega Venusaur switch in and think they can keep walling you.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Here's Bisharp in case you wanna try it out.

Bisharp @ BlackGlasses
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 52 SpD / 204 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit

If Scizor doesn't work out, then Bisharp is another similar option that might be able to do the job. I'll leave a set in case it interests you. That's it for now, let me know if the changes worked or didn't work, and in the case of the latter, I'll try to come up with something else. Hope I helped ^_^

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)