VGC Non-Legendary VGC Team: The Average Joes

I have never been a fan of using legendary Pokemon in competition and was absolutely gutted at the new VGC rules. I decided that instead of giving in and making a team consisting of legendary Pokemon I would do the opposite and attempt to make a viable team which looks at countering top threats while still being able to handle anything else which might come my way. I wont lie the team isn't perfect and still has some kinks to iron out but it was potential. Without further to do I present the Average Joes.

1) Golduck @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Cloud Nine
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Protect

The superstar of the team. Back when the rules were announced I decided I needed someone who could reliably take care the the biggest threat, Primal Groudon in the game, hence why Golduck was chosen. With Cloud Nine he removes all weather on the field and is able to cleanly one shot Primal Groudon. As an added bonus with the modest nature he is able to one shot Mega Rayquazza and has the bulk to survive an Extremespeed. Psyshock was chosen just so it wouldn't be completely walled by water Pokemon. Protect was chosen for the last spot as to fake a choice item and to stall out turns if needed. Standard offensive spread, with choice scarf used to outpace threats.

252+ SpA Golduck Scald vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Primal Groudon: 268-316 (130 - 153.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Golduck Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Rayquaza: 184-220 (102.2 - 122.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Life Orb Mega Rayquaza Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Golduck: 94-110 (60.6 - 70.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

2)Crobat @ Mental Herb
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 4 HP / 224 Atk / 28 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Brave Bird
- U-Turn
- Cross Poison

Crobat was chosen as my answer to Xerneas. Taunt stops Geomancy, reducing it from being as big as a threat as it usually is. Cross Posion is used in order to hit Xerneas as hard it can, though it still only allows for the 3HKO. Brave Bird is the general attack move to be used, hitting most enemies for respectable damage. U-turn was chosen in order to provide some momentum to the team when needed. 28 SpD allows it to survive an Xerneas Thunder, while the mental herb was chosen to be able to shrug off any taunts (Maybe lum berry would be better for Thundurus/Smeragle). Inner focus was chosen to avoid flinches and allow him to taunt Smeargles

3)Talonflame @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Steel Wing
- U-Turn

A fairly standard Talonflame set, it was chosen as a way to provide reliable priority to my team. Brave bird will be the move used 90% of the time, being the strongest priority move in the metagame. Flare Blitz provides alternate STAB and a way to break Steel pokemon, especially Ferrothorn. Steel Wing allows Talonflame a way past any rock Pokemon which may arise, while U-turn allow Talonflame out of any sticky situation and provide the team with momentum.

4)Aegislash @ Air Balloon
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Kings Shield
- Flash Cannon
- Shadow Sneak

It never hurts to have a Steel Pokemon on your team even if Earthquake and Primal Groudon can ruin their day. Aegislash allows this team a way to break past Cresselia and Giritina as well as a hard hitting STAB. Flash Cannon hits Xerneas in the face and can tank all its moves bar Earthquake, but its much less effective after a Geomancy. Shadow Sneak provides priority and a way to pick off weakened foes while Kings Shield allows Aegislash to change back into its defensive form and protect itself from direct attacks. Air Balloon was chosen as it allow me to swap it in on ground attacks without any worry.

5)Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 116 SpA / 140 SpD
Calm Nature
- Hydro pump
- Thunderbolt
- Protect
- Thunder Wave

A Soft check to Primal Kyogre. My team is relatively weak to Primal Kyogre and Rotom-Wash patches up this problem somewhat. Thunderbolt allows for Rotom-Wash to 3HKO P-Kyogre, while being capable of tanking any move it can throw out, aoviding even the 2HKO from Thunder. Hydro pump is the secondary STAB, hitting the likes of Ho-Oh for considerable damage. Protect allows Rotom-W to scout out any moves the enemies may throw out while Thunder wave it just the best Status move to have, spreading paralysis when it can and wrecking potential sweeps from setup Xerneas and other pokemon which may cause my team trouble

6)Salamance @ Salamancite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Earthquake
- Protect

This team really needed a physical hitter, and who does that better than Mega-Salamance. Return is the obligatory STAB that destroys anything that doesn't resist it. Earthquake hits a lot of those Pokemon that resist Flying STAB such as Steel and Rock Pokemon. Protect allows Salamance to safely mega evolve if needed. Dragon Dance was the last move, if it gets an opputunity to use it nothing will surive it wrath but struggle to get it off in double due to the faster face, though work just as well with a neutral SpA nature.

So thats the team, nothing in their is truly unconventional besides maybe Golduck and I try to cover the best biggest threats as best as I can but I have fallen short in some areas. P-Kyogre does a lot of damage to my team and once Xernas setsup, there not too much I can do to stop it. Also while I havent struggled to much against it yet, I feel as if a well played M-Khan will cause alot of problems.

Some things which I have though of adding/changing:
-M-Manectric - Provides Lightning rod/Intimidate and a way to smack Kyogre in the face
-Raichu - Similar to Manectric but bringing more support

So guys thats it, I'm happy for all suggestions and criticism but try to keep in mind this team avoids using legendarys but thats the only restriction. The only Pokemon Im adamant on keeping is Golduck, due to how unorthodox it is and its surprise factor n being able to OHKO both P-Groudon and Mega Rayquazza.

I like this team a lot. On paper it looks good, the only thing I would recommend changing is Crobat having U-turn, only because it doesn't seem like it would do as much good as some of the other helpful moves that Crobat can get like quick guard or hypnosis. Quick guard could give you help against fake out leads or at least another option against them. Hypnosis could come in handy if you just wana put something to sleep so you don't have to deal with it, although it doesn't have promising accuracy. Imo U-turn just doesn't SEEM like it could be as helpful as often as some of the support moves that Crobat gets.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I like your idea a lot! At first when I look at the title, I thought the team was going to be crap. But then you obviously changed my mind.

But I have a few questions:
1. Is protect on Choice scarf really worth it? You'd be forced to switch, ie: the next Pokemon had to take a hit.
2. Brave bird on Crobat really better than Super Fang? Most people seem to only run Super Fang as Crobat's only offense.
3. Your team's only means of speed control is Rotom's thunder wave. Is it really ok? Are you sure you don't want to Tailwind from Talonflame?

I like your idea a lot! At first when I look at the title, I thought the team was going to be crap. But then you obviously changed my mind.

But I have a few questions:
1. Is protect on Choice scarf really worth it? You'd be forced to switch, ie: the next Pokemon had to take a hit.
2. Brave bird on Crobat really better than Super Fang? Most people seem to only run Super Fang as Crobat's only offense.
3. Your team's only means of speed control is Rotom's thunder wave. Is it really ok? Are you sure you don't want to Tailwind from Talonflame?
Agreed on every point. The only other problem I could see is a Trick room team could really run through this team without any other means of speed control. I've been seeing Min speed Smeargle on TR teams which is also quite scary. Also 4/6 of your Pokémon are threatened by super effective moves from PDon, and Rotom W can't touch it. Just some things to think about.

Golduck is a cool Pokémon that was hyped up a lot when the rules were announced, but there's a reason it hasn't seen much usage since the start of the season. That said, if someone sees it on your team they're going to immediately know what it's for. And as your only check to PDon, your team is still very weak to it. You've essentially put all your eggs in one basket by having Golduck as your only counter to the Primal Weathers, which is never a box you want to put yourself in.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)