XY UU Nostalgic Icons Gens I - IV

I've played on Showdown! for quite a while and built quite a few teams, but this one is certainly the best that I've come up with. I stopped playing Pokemon for a while after Generation IV, and it kind of shows - none of the Pokmeon on this team are from Gererations V or VI. It is currently centered around Swampert as a physical tank and Stealth Rock setter. No info yet on a peak, but my ELO currently stands at 1234.

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Pretty standard stuff here. Swampert is my lead 9 times out of 10 due to having stealth rock and just overall good bulk. He has the defense to take plenty of physical hits and even resisted or weak special hits and retaliates with some strong damage to the likes of Darmanitan, Metagross, and Lucario. Of course, Grass coverage seems to be much more commonplace than it once was, so Swampert hasn't been quite as effective as he once was. I run Waterfall over Scald for a little extra sting and also so that I don't have to reduce Swampert's already low speed. Swampert misses reliable recovery, and there isn't any wish passing on this team right now (I experimented with it, but it didn't work well).

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 64 SpA / 184 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Recover
- U-turn
- Heal Bell

I was looking for a grass type to work well with Swampert, and Roserade just wasn't cutting it for me, as her physical bulk was rather poor. Trevenant also filled this slot, but he just didn't provide any utility for the team. I decided then on Celebi, who has worked well since. Giga Drain provides STAB, Recover restores HP, U-turn helps keep momentum and wear down tougher targets (physical walls, Hydreigon, etc.), and heal bell restores status (important!). 64 SpA EVs 2HKO standard Slowbro without Rocks, 4 speed EVs help outspeed other uninvested base 100s, and the rest goes into special bulk.

Rotom-Heat @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Trick

Because every team needs a fire type. Actually, Rotom was my original Grass resist for Swampert before Roserade. I had experimented with bulky sets and expert belt (to bluff a choice item) before, but I would get beaten by set up sweepers, so I added a scarf. Volt switch also adds to a Volt-turn core between it, Celebi, and Crobat, making wearing down opposing pokemon even easier. I have found myself leading with him more often now to use as a scouting lead.

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 236 HP / 20 Def / 248 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Defog
- Toxic
- Ice Beam

I had many different Defoggers throughout the course of making this team, but they all suffered the same problem of being weak to Stealth Rocks, which I found to be unappealing. I then found Empoleon, who was not only resistant to Rocks, but also immune to Toxic Spikes (do people even use those anymore?). This deals with Noivern and other special attackers well and defogs in their face with little problem. 236 HP hits max lefovers recovery, 248 SpD hits a jump point in special defense, 4 Spe outspeeds other uninvested base 65s, and the rest goes into defense to take emergency physical hits better.

Crobat @ Black Sludge
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Atk / 4 SpD / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Taunt
- Roost
- U-turn

This spot was once held by Sableye, who had a faster taunt, but Crobat has more of an offensive and defensive presence, so I went for him instead. Not much to say - Crobat's great at breaking stall and hitting frail opponents hard. U-turn is there instead of some other utility to add to the Volt-Turning. EVs are pretty standard - Speed lets Cobat outspeed Alakazam, Special defense prevents Porygon2 and Z from getting a SpA boost, and the rest goes to maximize bulk and give Brave Bird some extra power.

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Ice Fang

The team's sweeper. My thought process was essentially "I need a good sweeper, so why not a mega Pokemon here? Aerodactyl seems pretty good. I'll use him!" Seriously, though, Aerodactyl is a neat sweeper capable of damaging a lot of the tier for some decent damage. I have Unnerve because it's seems to be the only ability that has a chance of accomplishing anything (he has no recoil attacks to use Rock Head and no bulk to abuse Pressure with). Ice fang hits Ground types and bulky grass types alongside slower dragons, while only missing out on Forretress and bulky waters (which is disappointing, but...). Roost hasn't really been doing anything for me, though, so replacement suggestions are appreciated. Plus, even MAerodactyl has trouble getting OHKOs without a lot of prior damage.

This team has used many different pokemon to fill its roles - too many to list. This team still suffers a weakness to strong physical attackers that can muscle through Swampert, as nothing else likes taking a strong physical attack. Other threats come from wallbreakers like Hydreigon and Victini. This team also has absolutely no piority, meaning that weakened sweepers can tear through this team with enough speed. I try to go with a more offensive playstyle that revolves around my Volt-turning crew laying on offensive pressure and distributing damage evenly, and use my water types to tank and pivot off of strong hits. Anyways, have fun tearing this team apart!

Last edited:
Just bumping before the post falls into complete obscurity. Sorry for all the edits - I seem to find a lot in the post that I should add/change.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
When Aerodactyl Mega's, its ability becomes Tough Claws. Is there any way to use this reliably? Also, I see potential in Crobat as a sweeper; maybe you can use a gem, Acrobatics, etc.... The possibilities are endless. I'll test this team and get back to you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)