1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Gen 3 Not your typical UU (RMT!)

Discussion in 'Ruins of Alph' started by Wild Eep, Mar 19, 2007.

1. Wild Eep

Wild Eep pet pet pet
    is a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus

I've used this UU team to good effect over the past month and want to give it some good last life before I jump to Standard.

Electabuzz (F) @ Lum Berry
    Trait: Static
    EVs: 128 Atk / 216 Spd / 166 SAtk
    Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
    - Cross Chop
    - Ice Punch
    - Meditate
    - Thunderbolt

My opener. The EVs are set up to outspeed all Base 100's while getting the guaranteed 2HKO on Blissey after a Meditate. No prediction needed here! :-)

Mantine (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Water Absorb
    EVs: 252 HP / 158 SAtk / 100 SDef
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Hidden Power [Electric]
    - Ice Beam
    - Surf
    - Toxic

My anti-water/special wall. I added HP Electric over Haze to improve my odds against Milotic, Gyarados, etc. I enjoy both ground and water immunities.

Gligar (M) @ Lum Berry
    Trait: Hyper Cutter
    EVs: 162 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Aerial Ace
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide
    - Swords Dance

My "physical sweeper," capable of occasionally overrunning Skarmbliss. I know HP Flying is more powerful than Aerial Ace, but I need it for random DT noobs, and this set is easier for me to translate to in-game.

Yanma (M) @ Liechi Berry
    Trait: Speed Boost
    EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    - Endure
    - Hidden Power [Bug]
    - Reversal
    - Shadow Ball

Stupid Yanma! This Pokémon is ridiculous. Endure to get a Speed Boost up to 432 speed and trigger Liechi for more power, and then win. Shadow Ball gets free kills on any ghost other than Dusclops.

Lunatone @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 6 Spd / 252 SAtk
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Calm Mind
    - Hypnosis
    - Ice Beam
    - Psychic

My "special tank." Sleep + setting up (even only one CM) = devastation.

Banette (M) @ Lum Berry
    Trait: Insomnia
    EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    - Hidden Power [Fighting]
    - Shadow Ball
    - Taunt
    - Will-O-Wisp

I've been trying all sorts of Pokémon in this slot. I've been mostly working with Choice Banders in this slot, with Hitmonlee working the best for me. I'm not big on the whole hit and run thing, though, because my team is aggressive and doesn't want to be taking hits on the switch. For Banette, I had Thunderbolt over Will-O-Wisp, but the SAtk EV's were too much to deal with. Any ideas?

All feedback will be appreciated!:)
  2. DMFG

DMFG

It's an interesting try but really don't expect to beat OU teams with it. The power just isn't there and you just can't get past the standard tanks, while your own sweepers don't pack the same punch. I'd list pokemon to watch out for but... basically everything :-/
  3. DoubleX

DoubleX

Ice Beam Nidoking will give you a lot of shit, since it can 1- or 2HKO everything but Mantine. Without Quick Attack on Gligar, you'll get smashed by anything that Subs down for something, be it Petayabuzz or a Hitmonlee going for Reversal. CB Solrock might give you problems if it comes in on anything but Banette, since it can beat most of them down, and Gligar can't touch it since it also lacks Iron Tail.
  4. Rats

Rats

A fun alternattive to Knock Off in Banette's extra slot is Imprison. Since HP Ghost or Shadow Ball is often the first thing people think of of to take it out, and you have both HP and Shadow Ball, you Imprison on their switch in and then they're forced to switch and eat an attack off Banette's nice Atk stat, or sit there with no way to hurt you. Or you can Twave on the switch and then Imprison only if it looks practical.

I prefer Twave over WoW for the imprsion set, althought both work, although being Wow'd yourself probably hurts more, Twave is more common on enemy pokes and ends up Imprisoned more often because of it. Since UUs tend not to have the same speed as OUs and you seem to want to play them as well, it will help the rest of your taem sweep a bit better.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)