np: OU Suspect Testing Round 5 - Sandstorm (Excadrill/Thundurus Banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
My main point was that everyone is using Gastrodon for Rain. Checking Thundurus and Rotom-W is nice though.

Don't get me wrong, I fucking love Gastrodon. I used it back in Gen 4 sometimes, and it was on my Gen 5 teams long before it became so popular. I'm over the moon now that Gastro is everywhere.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
But what exactly is wrong with that? Once a popular or dominating strategy rises, counters will also rise to...well counter the threat.

This is only bad when the counter to the threat sucks and can't find another rule in OU.

It seems like half the nomination thread is full of kids who have not met the requirements and posted a short rushed post of their opinions.

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
Which is why Jabba and Bloo are running this round, they are smart enough to know what is legitamate and what is "this thing counters my team, plz ban"

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
you seem to either fail to recognise the point i was making or just choose to ignore it.

furthermore, you cannot 'guarantee' anything based on your intuition, if people are fine with the metagame then they should speak it out to keep it the same, rather than stay silent, saying that they do is, again, poor reasoning.

your bias also makes it clear that you think that you represent the majority, furthermore, saying we should shut up and stop arguing when you say that we should 'watch as weather remains OU' (what you say in the parentheses following still makes your opinion clear as day) is argument inciting in itself!
@pp 1: My post was not directly responding to yours, more to a sentence that was in line with other posts representing the focus of my post.

@ pp 2: lrn2recognize hyperbole please. People are under no obligation to state their contentedness with the metagame. Not sure what else To say here so I'll just spout some random stuff about burden of proof and stuff, it really doesn't concern me at this point.

Of course there's bias because that's exactly what it is, an opinion. What I was really railing against with my post was the bullshit posts I seen saying things like 'I think we can all agree that weather is broken' and the accompanying garbage. My post is an opinion, yes, but it is an opinion based on the precedental fact of previous suspect tests which, while providing no concrete information provide a solid base to work off of unlike the biased posts without any factual basis. Furthermore, these suspect tests do allow me to reasonably estimate that I represent the majority as more than half of the voting pool voted weather OU.

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
If you think this is bad, go to the voter identifications and suspect nominations thread.
Thats exactly what he was talking about but w/e.

Anyways, I don't see why everyone is suddenly hating on Gliscor. You guys just aren't using it properly. First of all, SD+EQ+Ice Fang+Protect blows. The only thing it can do is beat Excadrill, it can't even beat Conkeldurr because Conk can just Bulk Up on your protects. Taunt is a bit better because it can help with stallbreaking. But the best Gliscor set is certainly Substitute+Protect+Toxic+EQ. Yeah, this set loses to Air Balloon Excadrill, but if you already have Conkeldurr or Bronzong on your team, its all good. Furthermore, all you have to do is pop the balloon with even like Extremespeed or something and Gliscor becomes a counter again. SubTect Gliscor literally defeats every pokemon in the game not immune to Toxic. It also can beat many of the steels/ poisons that are immune to Toxic like Jirachi.

Now that I've tried to make an anti weather team there's one more thing that's come to my attention. The sheer lack of counters/checks Sun teams have. Heatran is probably the only thing I can think of that could possibly be a check because without balloon it will fall to the surprisingly common Dugtrio on Sun teams. (I cant seem to stop facing those wtf)

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, I always always always run Taunt on Gliscor.

How does the SubProtect Toxic Staller work? Or more specifically, beat everything? I imagine something faster would switch in, break your Sub while you Toxic it, then force you out.

the only reliable counter is cloyster honestly cuz icicle spear breaks multiscale. also no dnite runs superpower. cloysters 180 base defense takes its hits

Um, Latias and Latios, Dragonite, and Salamence. Even argueably Gyarados.
Yea I know Dragonite. I got that on my team too. (I'd actually argue dragonite being the only check due to MultiScale. All the others take Neutral Damage from fire attacks so it'd be rather simple to combat them with a sun team. Then again Latias might have the Special Bulk to take a hit.)

So I always liked rain somewhat more than sun... it's a personal thing, love thunderstorms and such. You look at its effect in pokemon, and damn: Water types get their obvious benefits. Steels get a defense against fire. Electrics get a 100% accurate Thunder, and flying types get a similar, though less utilized benefit. A few pokemon get abilities that add benefits (Toxicroak, notably). If you have a team that properly utilizes it, rain is fairly comfy. Then you have sun... it benefits fire, Solorbeam, water resistances, ability based abusers, and a few things that may escape me. Well, it nerfs thunder and hurricane... waters don't necessarily mind that, especially with ground and ice attacks (for fire and grass types). Gliscor is fairly common on rain (and sand) and water types have no problem running ice beam. You have less options in Sun (I haven't seen a lot in terms of stall or defense, correct me if I'm wrong). Ferrothorn, Forretress, Scizor, and other popular fire-weak abusers of rain are basically lost. Almost every team runs at least HP fire for the likes of Ferro, and sun does it no favors. Ninetales is cool, but all in all... Politoed and especially Tyranitar are somewhat better at handling themselves. Either one ends up in sun with you? Either team has grass resists to take the fairly obvious Solarbeam... and that's IF they aren't faster (and they often are).

What I'm saying is, without Blaziken, and with the many extinguishers, Sun is riskier than rain or sand. I personally think that if rain and or sand are banned, I would like for sun to stay in OU, at least for a round to see what happens. I think if sand stays (I don't see it getting banned) it'll help to balance Sun... It is a personal opinion, so I may be wrong. I like running things like Venusaur and Sawsbuck in a serious role.

Edit: For the above statement, other weathers counter Sun rather well. Sun seems to benefit fire and grass and sometimes ground and rock (water resisting)... Gliscor has given my sun team issues... Dragons resist fire and grass type attacks, especially Dragonite, who doesn't mind sun barring rain abusers... What is ANY move going to do to it if it's at full HP under sun? Hell, you could run Dragonite ON a sun team and it could run Thunder to be a rain counter... The already common HP fire (as mentioned above, for Ferro and company) gets free benefits under sun and makes life harder for the grass types... A lot of Sun abusers are rather frail too, it doesn't get a lot of defensive benefits like rain and sand. Sorry about points that I repeated.

Yea I know Dragonite. I got that on my team too. (I'd actually argue dragonite being the only check due to MultiScale. All the others take Neutral Damage from fire attacks so it'd be rather simple to combat them with a sun team. Then again Latias might have the Special Bulk to take a hit.)
Dragon types types resist fire and grass moves. Latios and Salamence are 2KOed by some boosted fire attacks (well not for physical ones on Salamence thanks to intimidate).

Cloyster @ Focus Sash
Adamant
Skill Link
252 Atk, 228 Def, 24 Speed

Shell Smash
Razor Shell
Icile Spear
Rock Blast

I run this EV spread now adays, the 24 EVs in speed insures that after SS, it will outspeed a max speed, Timid Starmie, while the defense investment ensures that it can take physical priorities at -1. The sash is because, Cloyster has no SpD.

In other words the perfect Nite counter, even at +1 Outrage.

My two cents worth to this issue:

I've read a lot of posts in this thread about how something should be banned not because it's broken, but because it has a detrimental effect on the metagame. Oh, boy. This statement is pretty much bullshit as it makes little to no sense.

Two things first: if something is broken, it sure as hell has a detrimental effect on the metagame. Second, how would you define something as 'detrimental to the metagame'? Some might argue that Stealth Rock is 'detrimental to the metagame' because it 'limits the diversity of Pokemon' as it 'favors those Pokemon who are resistant to it'. That's like arguing something should be banned because it's better than something else; and in fact, if you were to stop and think for a second, you'd realize that everything good limits diversity. It's called natural selection; stuff isn't used because it sucks, and that's life. If you've got a problem with that, then you might as well be banning humans off the face of the planet, because we 'limit the diversity of life on Earth'.

Arguing whether or not something is 'detrimental to the metagame' or not becomes incredibly arbitrary. Since it's very difficult to classify something in that way, the only way we can really determine whether something is ban-worthy is whether or not it's broken, which is the way Smogon has always done things anyway. If a Pokemon is broken, then it should be so powerful that it is near impossible to stop; it has very few, if any, counters or checks, and can very easily be used to pull off sweeps with little effort.

Let's take Excadrill and analyze it in this fashion; in Sand, an Adamant-natured Excadrill can come in at 405 attack and 550 speed, without any boosts. If you thought that was rigged, you'll obviously be pleased to know that after forcing a switch and at +2, Excadrill reaches a shocking 810 and 550 speed with a single turn of setup. Add this to a pseudo-StoneQuake combo in STAB Earthquake + Rock Slide, and you've got a very fearsome sweeper. On top of all that, Excadrill is immune to Sandstorm, Thunder Wave, Toxic, resistant to SR and is unaffected by Toxic Spikes; in other words, it can only really be hindered by a Burn or Spikes - and that's considered whatever you're trying to Burn it with can survive an attack first. Jellicent isn't likely to be surviving a +2 EQ any time soon, and very few Rotom-W carry Will-O-Wisp anyway.

Take a look at Excadrill's checks and counters now. The 'hardest counter' to Excadrill is Skarmory, as it is unaffected by EQ, and takes nominal damage from Rock Slide + Return/X-Scissor/Brick Break. Not far behind are Gliscor and Bronzong, who are both immune to EQ, take little from Rock Slide, and are resistant to X-Scissor and Return respectively. Now if you were to stop and look at these Pokemon for a second, you'll see one thing in common for all of them: all are very fallible 'counters'. Skarmory obviously can't do much against Excadrill once it comes in; the only thing it's able to do is phaze it out with Whirlwind, a course of action which risks being flinched by a Rock Slide. I've seen multiple Skarmory users come in and just start Spiking, which is about as funny as it gets, because just switching in does zit; if you don' Whirlwind, Excadrill can just keep SD'ing until its Rock Slide is within 2HKO range. Gliscor is also commonly cited as a very good counter, but the standard Poison Heal Gliscor risks being 2HKO'd by +2 Adamant Air Balloon Excadrill's Return after SR, while all it can really in return is do marginal damage with Ice Fang/Facade and break Exca's AB. Bronzong is even worse, as it can't damage Exca at all, and is unable to use either T-wave OR Toxic against it. In fact, Ferrothorn actually does much better against Exca than any of these Pokemon; at the very least, Sticky Barb and Leech Seed (if you can get it in), coupled with LO recoil, will allow residual damage to take its toll.

Since Excadrill's counters are fairly flawed, the other way it can be defeated is priority. The most commonly used priority moves include Aqua Jet, Vacuum Wave, Mach Punch, Bullet Punch, and Extreme Speed. Excadrill resists both Bullet Punch and Extreme Speed (although in my experience CB Scizor's BP does around ~30% damage to the standard Excadrill), while Aqua Jet is only commonly seen on Azumarill, who requires a CB (thus easing prediction) to OHKO Exca. Vacuum Wave is only commonly seen on Lucario and Infernape (who have seen decreases in usage this gen and even then don't run these moves 100% of the time), while the best users of Mach Punch, Hitmontop and Conkeldurr, are rarely seen, and fail to OHKO, respectively. Excadrill has 'shit defenses', you say? If it can survive a x2 effective LO Mach Punch from a base 140 attack monster, I'd say that's pretty fucking buff. Add all this to the ease in which Excadrill comes into Sand in the modern metagame, and you can see the beast that this thing is. Insane attack and speed stats, fearsome STAB, solid resistances and bulk, etc. Ring a bell? Those sound a lot like the reasons Garchomp was banned to me.

Of course, Excadrill hardly makes the cut for UU without Sand, but that line leads straight to the 'issue' of 'Weather Wars'. The prevalence of Sand and Excadrill particularly encourage the use of Drizzle and Rain Teams, which present a whole new issue altogether. Sand was always the predominant weather in Gen IV OU, but its presence was largely negligible, as it did not have too drastic effects on the metagame. With Gen V, however, this story is entirely different. Drizzle x Sand pretty much sums up the metagame at the moment, and it's quite easy to Drizzle's appeal. Instantly summoning permanent Rain, its main benefits include a 100% accurate Thunder, pseudo-STAB water attacks, and weakened Fire attacks. Obviously, water has an advantage over the typings of Pokemon of the other weathers, namely the largely Ground and Rock type Pokemon of Sand, and the Fire type pokemon of Drought (sun). Combine this with dual STAB, the rain abuser Thundurus, and the ubiquity of near-impossible to kill pokemon like Ferrothorn, Forretress, Scizor in Rain, Drizzle is a very potent force. What exactly can survive repeated dual STAB water attacks? Even special walls with the bulk of Blissey and Eviolite Chansey get worn down by the sheer power of these attacks, while attempts to switch in the likes of Water Absorb Jellicent are immediately met by Thunder(s). Now add Thundurus into the mix; already a powerful sweeper, priority Substitutes and Nasty Plots, combined with STAB Thunders, tears shit up left and right, while all you're able to do is make your deathbed and pray to God that residual damage will somehow wear Thundurus down. And whoever said Politoed is useless is shitting themselves, because as it can run fairly diverse movesets in a fairly solid (not to mention uncanny andunexpected) revenge killer with a Scarf (which is also an Excadrill check), but a powerful special sweeper with Specs, and provides great synergy with its support movesets.

So let's revisit some of the main issues brought up in this round V of suspect testing: Excadrill in Sand, Drizzle (and to some extent Thundurus), and 'Weather Wars'.

We all know how deadly Excadrill is in Sand; while it is true that a lack of Sand seriously cripples it, the fact is that in a weather-dominated metagame, it won't be losing its Sand support any time soon. However, that it would hardly make the cut for UU (or even lower) without Sand clearly indicates that the Pokemon itself is not broken; it'd be like a Rhyperior, with incredible sweeping potential, but a crippling speed stat. We've already seen Drizzle + Swift Swim get banned; is it time to entertain the idea of a ban on Sandstream + Sand Rush?

We've seen the drastic effects of Drizzle on the metagame, while conversely we've also seen how the metagame is fairly indifferent to the prevalence of Sandstorm. I'd personally advocate for Drizzle to be banned, simply because it becomes much too advantageous, to the point where it is fairly impossible to handle, for Pokemon who thrive under it; and for those protestors of the 'Weather Wars', well, Drizzle only exacerbates this problem, and a ban will quickly solve this issue as well. Additionally, Thundurus will be much easier to handle in a metagme without Drizzle and Sand Rush Excadrill.

So the breakdown? Round V should see the banning of Drizzle and Sandstream + Sand Rush.

Complex bans have already been seen, and since Sandstream and Sand Rush are viable abilities on their own, I see no reason why they should be banned altogether, merely when they put together.

Why not just ban all weathers? Well for one, I've already pointed out the the last generation faired well even with the presence of Sandstorm. Additionally, it's not clear whether Drought will have such a great impact on the metagame as Drizzle. So what about Drought, exactly? For one, the banning of Drizzle is likely to see a prevalence of Drought, and while its effects cannot be determined exactly now, the next step will provide a perfect opportunity to analyze Drought (and for at least one round). Until then, it is fairly useless to speculate on the metagame after Drizzle goes. Similarly, it does little good to guess at what the metagame will be like once Sand + Sand Rush (and possibly Exca) go.

So what does this mean next?

These bannings I've suggested present two problems: the prolonging of Suspect testing, and the community becoming too ban-happy. Obviously, all I can say is that with the changes Gen V has brought us, the metagame was always far from settling down. As for being ban-happy (i.e. banning Drizzle now, and perhaps banning Drought later), just because many things need to be analyzed does not make anyone 'ban-happy'. It's a fact that Gen V has brought us many powerful changes and it takes time to be able to review all of them; just because it takes a little longer does not mean it is a process to be feared. As long as an impartial reviewing process is applied to these bannings, Smogon should be fine.

It'll be interesting to things how things play out next if these bans take effect. For the fans of Drought, it seems like the time for the Sun to shine (pun intended) has finally come. I, for one, look forward to the next round with great anticipation.

Thats exactly what he was talking about but w/e.

Anyways, I don't see why everyone is suddenly hating on Gliscor. You guys just aren't using it properly. First of all, SD+EQ+Ice Fang+Protect blows. The only thing it can do is beat Excadrill, it can't even beat Conkeldurr because Conk can just Bulk Up on your protects. Taunt is a bit better because it can help with stallbreaking. But the best Gliscor set is certainly Substitute+Protect+Toxic+EQ. Yeah, this set loses to Air Balloon Excadrill, but if you already have Conkeldurr or Bronzong on your team, its all good. Furthermore, all you have to do is pop the balloon with even like Extremespeed or something and Gliscor becomes a counter again. SubTect Gliscor literally defeats every pokemon in the game not immune to Toxic. It also can beat many of the steels/ poisons that are immune to Toxic like Jirachi.
Lol yeah I totally misread his post.

New World Order

Licks Toads
Yeah, I always always always run Taunt on Gliscor.

How does the SubProtect Toxic Staller work? Or more specifically, beat everything? I imagine something faster would switch in, break your Sub while you Toxic it, then force you out.
As well, every pokemon who cannot deal a 2HKO is outright defeated. After Subtoxic, Gliscor sits at 87.5% (poison heal doesn't heal the turn the status orb is activated). The opponent deals, say, 40%. Gliscor can still make a sub. Then Protect the next turn to get to about 35%, then make another Sub the next turn when it is broken. Rinse Repeat, rape.

As for Pokes who can 2HKO. Yes, you get forced out the first time, but the second time round, you have an infinite chain of Subtecting because after 2 turns, Poison Heal returns all the HP sacced from Substitute. Remember that a team is 6, not one. You can certainly force out the toxiced opponent, and defeat it with Gliscor later.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
JT Swift said:
Stop saying that there are no good arguments for Rain being broken. The proof is in the usage stats and metagame trends. Just because you choose to brush off anti Rain people as incompetent, lazy and whiny doesn't make it go away. Not only are certain Pokemon being used as anti Rain measures, SAND ITSELF has now been relegated to second place as an anti weather.
Have you ever thought that the rise of Politoed's usage may also be for anti-weather measures? Scarftoed is the quickest fix against Excadrill and Ninetales. You can slap Politoed and don't need to worry about Cholorophyll mons and Sand Rush mons outgunning everything (although Kingdra can be a bitch). Its arguably the least detrimental weather, since Rain abusers are easy to counter / revenge-kill, compared to Drought and Excadrill, and your team doesn't necessarily need to cater around Rain (just don't use Fire mons / have solid Water and Electric resists, which all teams should have anyways).

Kurashi Dragon said:
Now that I've tried to make an anti weather team there's one more thing that's come to my attention. The sheer lack of counters/checks Sun teams have. Heatran is probably the only thing I can think of that could possibly be a check because without balloon it will fall to the surprisingly common Dugtrio on Sun teams. (I cant seem to stop facing those wtf)
Yea, you really can't take a defensive approach against Drought teams imo. Heatran / Thick Fat Snorlax may be a good emergency measure to absorb one fire hit, but then you have to go on the offense asap.

Earthduster said:
We all know how deadly Excadrill is in Sand; while it is true that a lack of Sand seriously cripples it, the fact is that in a weather-dominated metagame, it won't be losing its Sand support any time soon. However, that it would hardly make the cut for UU (or even lower) without Sand clearly indicates that the Pokemon itself is not broken; it'd be like a Rhyperior, with incredible sweeping potential, but a crippling speed stat. We've already seen Drizzle + Swift Swim get banned; is it time to entertain the idea of a ban on Sandstream + Sand Rush?
I am against Ability + Ability ban just to save one mon from becoming uber. You are restricting non-broken mons (Stoutland & Sandslash) for no reason. Ban Excadrill + Sandstream or just ban Excadrill. Aldaron's Proposal is different - it potentially saved MULTIPLE swift swimmers from getting banned.

I do agree with 1 thing - banning all auto-weather is ridiculous. It's obvious that Snow Warning is not a problem. No one would be fussing over Sandstream if it wasn't for Excadrill. I honestly doubt Drizzle will achieve a supermajority this round after it failed hitting simple majority last round, so don't count on Rain being eliminated this round. Even if Drizzle does get banned, I believe Drought should not be bundled up together and leave OU, since it's an entirely different playstyle.

Cloyster @ Focus Sash
Adamant
Skill Link
252 Atk, 228 Def, 24 Speed

Shell Smash
Razor Shell
Icile Spear
Rock Blast

I run this EV spread now adays, the 24 EVs in speed insures that after SS, it will outspeed a max speed, Timid Starmie, while the defense investment ensures that it can take physical priorities at -1. The sash is because, Cloyster has no SpD.

In other words the perfect Nite counter, even at +1 Outrage.
Wouldn't it be better to invest in HP instead of Def?

New World Order

Licks Toads
I personally believe that Drought has the most diverse and dangerous abusers. The single most dangerous weather abuser IMO is Excadrill, a member of sand. However, there's no variety for sand teams, its always some combination of Excadrill, Landorus, Terrakion, Lucario, Scizor, or Reuniclus. Only the first two have an ability that directly and significantly benefits from sand, and only the first 3 get any benefits at all besides maybe sandstorm wearing down checks. Rain certainly has more variety in terms of abusers, but with Swift Swim gone, the abusers don't have nearly as significant buffs. Thundurus, Starmie, Rotom-W, Toxicroak, Jirachi, Gyarados, Sharpedo, Raikou, Jolteon, Tornadus, Dragonite, Ferrothorn, Scizor, and Bronzong all get nice buffs, but besides Thundurus, individually, they are all pretty easy to handle even with rain up. No instant agility, the STAB abusers aren't particularly powerful, with Starmie being the hardest hitter, the accuracy abusers being crippled in other weathers, and the fire nerf resistors not getting any other benefits besides the fire nerf.

The only thing thats keeping Drought from being broken is the futility of its summoner and its inability to touch the other two summoners. Essentially when using a sun team, its 5-6 from the get go. But sun's abusers are so dangerous that it often doesn't even matter, because their sheer power can often allow a sun team to muscle through opposing weathers, even when rain/ sand is up. Volcorona, Heatran, Salamence, Venusaur, Infernape, Darmanitan, Sawsbuck, Arcanine, Lilligant, Hydreigon, Shiftry, Victreebel, Dragonite, Charizard, Victini, Houndoom, Jumpluff, Chandelure. Sun friggin has more direct abusers than Sand and Rain have abusers period. And each and every one of them can absolutely wreak havoc against unprepared teams. Chlorophyll sweepers can do pretty much anything you ask of them, whether it be Sawsbuck's outright sweeping, Shiftry's revenge killing, Lilligant's tanking, or Jumpluff's quickstalling. Each one of the fire types boast destructive STABs that outdamage Starmie's rain boosted Hydro Pump. Each one of the dragons now have a perfect coverage Dual STAB against every pokemon bar Heatran. The fact that so many UU pokemon become deadly under the sun goes to show the impact of sun. If the summoner had been Heatran or Arcanine instead of Ninetails, I don't think we'd see nearly as many sand/ rain teams.

Sun's effects are certainly more dangerous than Rain/ Sand, and if it weren't for Ninetails' inability to touch Ttar and Politoed, it would most certainly become the #1 weather (unless Swift Swim+Drizzle is reintroduced of course, but we should never allow that to happen again).

Personally, I believe that weather has become the thing that defines this generation, and is what sets it apart from the passing generation. For each generation, there was something that changed everything. For 2nd gen, it was the dark and steel type additions. For 3rd gen, it was the addition of abilities, for 4th gen it was the physical special split. Would you ban every dark and steel type? Would you can all abilities? Would you ban every physical fire move or special bug move? Without weather, we'd be playing 4th gen with a few new toys, there'd be nothing to define this as "the B/W" metagame. I believe that weather is here to stay, and should be embraced with open arms.

I would like to note that most of those abusers are either fire or grass, as opposed to the large amount of different TYPES that can use rain and sand. Also, the resist that Ferro gets from rain is quite significant, it's hard enough to take out WITH that x4 weakness.
Yes, a successful start to sunsweeping can be dangerous, but opposing weather teams often have little problem darkening the skies, and the sun team generally has to stay on offense regardless of conditions, which can leave a sun team vulnerable to a sweep itself... Dragons can be particularly problematic. I still need to try out some other sun teams, but that's what I've noticed thus far.

Edit: Yes, most water abusers are water, but Thunder is widely available, and better in terms of typing than SolBeam, and you don't lose a turn if Ttar or Toed are switched in. Those water type abusers also get a bonus to their STAB, and there's never been a fire-type chlorophyll abuser, which is probably a major reason it isn't as popular or abused. Rain was even more popular last gen if I recall right.

We should embrace the weather meta because its here to stay ! Unless we ban it in which case it won't be !

I'm more concerned with having a diverse balanced metagame thats fun than being able to look back on this gen several years from now and going "Hey that was the weather generation hur hur"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)