Metagame np: Stage 3 - 9(9) Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
My thoughts on both the Glalie and Pangoro debates:

Glalie: Is it even a question that thing thing is too strong for NU? It's easily the best offensive Spikes setter in the tier, as it beats every spinner (barring Cryogonal which is ass in this tier), it can Taunt Defoggers, and it beats Xatu. In addition, it's just strong as shit tbh. It's extremely limited switchins are easily predictable and can be double switched on. Or you can just 2HKO them with Double Edge. The utility on this mon is incredible. And people acting like Hariyama is a problem for Glalie clearly don't see that Yama doesn't get recovery and it's easily worn down with hazards + a partner like Typh or even Garbodor on balance. This thing tears offense a new one, and stall can struggle to beat it too b/c of it's spikes/taunt capabilities. All in all, this thing is a sack of shit because it even beats lord Prin.

Pangoro: Versace Python Cased makes a p good point with this..

Pangoro (F) @ Life Orb / Lum Berry
Trait: Iron Fist / Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk), Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Taunt
- Substitute

The set of champions..lol.

Although I don't think Pangoro is broken in this meta, I do think it's incredibly unhealthy. The reason it's unhealthy is because it is nearly impossible for balanced teams to beat Panda w/o running a dedicated counter, which doesn't really fit into that team archetype. Although Panda is relatively slow and doesn't have the best typing (on paper), it's typing allows it a lot of free attacks against offensive teams (against pretty much anything that can't OHKO it, it's gonna get a kill). It's stall breaking potential is obvious with access to Taunt and SD (the best set). I just feel like it's impossible to prepare for every set with one team unless you're running HO (outspeed and kill w/everything) or full stall (2-3 "counters"). I know you can't run every set at once, but every team just straight loses to one set imo, and they're all equally viable. Which brings me to the viability rankings thread..

"S Rank:
Reserved for Pokemon who can sweep or wall significant portions of the metagame with little support, and Pokemon who can support other Pokemon with very little opportunity cost ("free turns"). Also the home of Pokemon who can easily perform multiple roles effectively, increasing their versatility and unpredictability. If the Pokemon in this rank have any flaws, those flaws are thoroughly mitigated by their substantial strengths."

I feel like Panda deserves to be S rank because of the Pokemon who can easily perform multiple roles effectively portion. It can run a banded, scarf, taunt SD, SD 3 attacks, SubSD, and even LO effectively.

Like I said, it will take time to see if this thing is broken, but it's definitely one of the best and influential mons in the tier.

EDIT: Typo..rip
The issue is that that has been the logic on the forums as far as ive seen. Any time anyone brought a reasonable counter/check for a pokemon another person woild just say it can run coverage an forego a move.

For example, Gatr runs SD aqua jet waterfal and for the last move it can run ice punch superpower, even ice beam for tangela or substitute. So if anyone said that toad was a check or counter for ice punch gatr which is its most common set, someone else would ssy "just run SP" but that would make it easy to wall by plume and vice versa. The problem is that you can never know which set pangoro is running and even if the CB set seems a bit less effective than SD it can dent your team with aCB boosted knock off on the switch.

Im not saying pangoro is broken or not, just pointing out that the logic in the forums is basically "a pokeñom runs every coverage/set posible until you scout it" which is a unhealthy way to approach the fact that it is broken or not and any time anyone triesmto bring an answer you'll get "yes but it can run x, y and/or z to deal,with check 1/2/3 accordingly"

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
Seviper is terrible. Its physical coil set is completely outclassed by Arbok, so I would use a special one if I were to ever use one. That being said, it is frail and slow, and its sp atk isnt that great either. All in all it is one of the worst pokemon in the game. If you want to win id recommend you choose something else. Not much to discuss imo.
Calling it the worst pokemon in the game is a little severe.. calling outclassed would have sufficed.

Now, Seviper did get a lot of new options in ORAS, as you eluded to in your thread, Iyashii..but I'm afraid that none of these options actually help prevent it from being outclassed. The coil set is still done better by the much bulkier Arbok, while any special attacking set is still slow, with the same options as before; as the only notable move it didn't have before is Knock Off. I'd much rather use a faster / stronger special attacker such as Mesprit, Ludicolo, Samurott, or Lilligant.

Seviper has some cool aspects - Infiltrator, Sucker Punch, Mixed attacking stats, nice coverage.. but none of those aspects allow it to preform a role in NU better than something else, therefore, it'll always just be a novelty pokemon. :[

The Goomy

Whitest Mexican Alive
The issue is that that has been the logic on the forums as far as ive seen. Any time anyone brought a reasonable counter/check for a pokemon another person woild just say it can run coverage an forego a move.

For example, Gatr runs SD aqua jet waterfal and for the last move it can run ice punch superpower, even ice beam for tangela or substitute. So if anyone said that toad was a check or counter for ice punch gatr which is its most common set, someone else would ssy "just run SP" but that would make it easy to wall by plume and vice versa. The problem is that you can never know which set pangoro is running and even if the CB set seems a bit less effective than SD it can dent your team with aCB boosted knock off on the switch.

Im not saying pangoro is broken or not, just pointing out that the logic in the forums is basically "a pokeñom runs every coverage/set posible until you scout it" which is a unhealthy way to approach the fact that it is broken or not and any time anyone triesmto bring an answer you'll get "yes but it can run x, y and/or z to deal,with check 1/2/3 accordingly"
I don't think you actually read my post. I said that it can run multiple sets effectively, thus making it S rank because that's one of the things that can make a Pokemon S ranked based of the viability thread. I didn't say each individual set was uncounterable. In fact I even said, "I know you cannot run every set on the same team, but every team loses to one of the sets". Perhaps you should read twice before you call someone out. In fact, I even said that we need to take time to determine if it's broken, but it will be influential.

I don't think you actually read my post. I said that it can run multiple sets effectively, thus making it S rank because that's one of the things that can make a Pokemon S ranked based of the viability thread. I didn't say each individual set was uncounterable. In fact I even said, "I know you cannot run every set on the same team, but every team loses to one of the sets". Perhaps you should read twice before you call someone out. In fact, I even said that we need to take time to determine if it's broken, but it will be influential.
You need to chill man, i wasnt calling you out, i was pointing the fact of how people handle the 4mss argument in here, never said you did. I quoted you because of the pangoro set which i know you didnt post but i couldnt find the original post.

Perhaps you should read twice too as i said idrgaf if he is broken or not or S rank or A rank. I was merely pointing out that in here apparently a pokemon runs every set with every coverage possible until its scouted. The subject of my post wasnt exactly about the two mons itself and as you can read i agreed with you on the fact that you cant prepare for all the sets and the one set you dont prepare for can always do tons of dañage to your team.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
More of my sentiments on Pangoro:
Oh you're right, I got off lucky by not facing the set of champions:

EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk), Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Taunt
- Substitute
....Did you legitimately just use the 'cram more than 4 moves into a Pokemon' argument? No, that is not how this works. This is what you can expect when you face a Pangoro from a first-hand glance.

EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- ????

You won't know what that last move is unless it has Mold Breaker, but even then knowing it has Earthquake means that your Weezing and Garbodor aren't going to handily stop it. Is it Gunk Shot? Is it Taunt? Is it Substitute? If you don't pack 2 counters to this thing, Pangoro has a good chance to sweep defensive teams clean, if not dismantle them beyond repair. Even if you've managed to stop Pangoro since it carried the wrong move at the time, you'll still usually walk away without your held item. You can make an argument that Dazzling Gleam Psychics can keep Pangoro from sweeping them, but since they cannot switch in, Pangoro can pick off the rest of the team one by one, especially after it has taken out its counter by itself right there.

Ah, except Pangoro has no priority whatsoever and is easily revenge killed by a lot of the metagame after getting a meaningless boost and not even at +2 it can handle a lot of the Defensive Pokemon mentioned. Except Typhlosion's Specs Eruption or Fire Blast hits basically everything hard and Mega Glalie gets past its counters with two moves instead of 7/8.
Typhlosion (and Magmortar) forced people to run 1, if not 2 Fire resists on defensive teams, which isn't so bad considering they encompass a wide variety of Pokemon. Pangoro forces defensive teams to run a Poison-type and a Fairy-type, which is a hell of a lot more restrictive. Pangoro also has the capability of beating its 'counter' right from the get go, as opposed to Glalie Super Fanging it and then running away, which puts pressure on you to run anti-hazard control.

For the record, I don't recall calling Pangoro 'broken', as opposed to 'unhealthy', like The Goomy said (for much the same reasons). I merely said its wallbreaking abilities are superior to Mega Glalie's due to its survivability. That said, I can relate to people complaining about Mega Glalie's brokenness since it is the kind of Pokemon that very easily forces "1-for-2 or even more" trades, with or without Super Fang.

Edit: If you're going to run Super Fang on Mega Glalie, why even bother with Double-Edge at that point when Return can still 2HKO from there? That would certainly help fuel your arguments.

Edit:
Taunt is pretty great on Mega-Glalie, beats defoggers w/o using Explosion for example and overall pressure lot of things, is probably a more agressive option but still better than Ice Shard or non-STAB moves so you have a room to use Taunt anyways.
Name one Defogger that isn't threatened by Return or Freeze-Dry. Even the premier spinners have no business trying to clear hazards in Mega Glalie's face.

Last edited:
Seviper is terrible. Its physical coil set is completely outclassed by Arbok, so I would use a special one if I were to ever use one. That being said, it is frail and slow, and its sp atk isnt that great either. All in all it is one of the worst pokemon in the game. If you want to win id recommend you choose something else. Not much to discuss imo.
Calling it the worst pokemon in the game is a little severe.. calling outclassed would have sufficed.

Now, Seviper did get a lot of new options in ORAS, as you eluded to in your thread, Iyashii..but I'm afraid that none of these options actually help prevent it from being outclassed. The coil set is still done better by the much bulkier Arbok, while any special attacking set is still slow, with the same options as before; as the only notable move it didn't have before is Knock Off. I'd much rather use a faster / stronger special attacker such as Mesprit, Ludicolo, Samurott, or Lilligant.

Seviper has some cool aspects - Infiltrator, Sucker Punch, Mixed attacking stats, nice coverage.. but none of those aspects allow it to preform a role in NU better than something else, therefore, it'll always just be a novelty pokemon. :[
Well I can't reply without getting my post deleted, but thanks for the feedback. I just wanted some outside opinions, but I will just tinker with my own thoughts on it then.

Cased

Banned deucer.
....Did you legitimately just use the 'cram more than 4 moves into a Pokemon' argument? No, that is not how this works. This is what you can expect when you face a Pangoro from a first-hand glance.

EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- ????
Don't worry I have a slight feeling I know how this works a bit more than you. But clearly you're unable to grasp the fact that I was mocking your arguments where you mentioned about 7/8 different moves on a Pangoro, but it's okay, clearly a Pokemon with terrible bulk and awful Speed with decent typing is unhealthy because I can't run hard stall without running a single great Pokemon out of the plethora of Poison-types or a Fairy-type in Granbull or Togetic (eh this meta but hey do whatcha gotta do).

You won't know what that last move is unless it has Mold Breaker, but even then knowing it has Earthquake means that your Weezing and Garbodor aren't going to handily stop it. Is it Gunk Shot? Is it Taunt? Is it Substitute? If you don't pack 2 counters to this thing, Pangoro has a good chance to sweep defensive teams clean, if not dismantle them beyond repair. Even if you've managed to stop Pangoro since it carried the wrong move at the time, you'll still usually walk away without your held item. You can make an argument that Dazzling Gleam Psychics can keep Pangoro from sweeping them, but since they cannot switch in, Pangoro can pick off the rest of the team one by one, especially after it has taken out its counter by itself right there.
If it has Mold Breaker (Which takes a lot away from Drain Punch effectiveness) then sure Weezing / Qwilfish / Garbodor are hit hard (Although people commonly speedcreep a lot with Qwilfish so you're not outpacing that, or most Garbodor this metagame). You aren't able to hit the aforementioned Fairies. tl;dr with every move choice you lose a lot of important coverage, but yeah it does obviously have good matchup against hard-stall, but so do all hard-hitting Pokemon because they do well in wearing shit down like Specs Typh / CB Sawk / LO Jynx. That's it, all it does is do well against hard stall. Your shit 216 Speed won't help you do well against any other playstyle and it will be dead weight lol, but hey what do I know I clearly need to learn how this works

Typhlosion (and Magmortar) forced people to run 1, if not 2 Fire resists on defensive teams, which isn't so bad considering they encompass a wide variety of Pokemon. Pangoro forces defensive teams to run a Poison-type and a Fairy-type, which is a hell of a lot more restrictive. Pangoro also has the capability of beating its 'counter' right from the get go, as opposed to Glalie Super Fanging it and then running away, which puts pressure on you to run anti-hazard control.
Specs/Scarf Typhlosion is arguably the most metagame defining Pokemon in XY/ORAS NU. Specs Eruption basically blows up almost anything without insane bulk like SpD Rhydon / AV Hariyama. And it definitely has centralized the metagame to the point where you can only really have two/three Pokemon in the tier that reliably take it on and actually do well in the metagame. SpD Rhydon / AV Hariyama / bulky Mega Camerupt (Without SpD investment have fun coming in on Specs Eruption). Typhlosion's Base Speed is 100 and that's great for NU, well at least compared to Pangoro which is 112 Speed points slower than Specs Typhlosion. Obviously Stealth Rock kinda get in the way of Erupting for 150 BP but the only thing that really reliably comes in is Rhydon / Hariyama. And there's things like Kabutops that obviously fear Focus Blast or Extrasensory (Focus Blast and Extrasensory are awesome coverage moves, which is what separates it from Pyroar regarding choiced sets), but it can come in on Eruption and can threaten it with AJet, so I'd say it's a safe check. Not even standard Seismitoads can really effectively come in on Specs Eruptions, which shows the raw power. But I know I'm not the only one tired of Typhlosion. Which is why I'm posting about it

For the record, I don't recall calling Pangoro 'broken', as opposed to 'unhealthy', like The Goomy said (for much the same reasons). I merely said its wallbreaking abilities are superior to Mega Glalie's due to its survivability. That said, I can relate to people complaining about Mega Glalie's brokenness since it is the kind of Pokemon that very easily forces "1-for-2 or even more" trades, with or without Super Fang.
How is it even close to being unhealthy omylord if you run hard stall every game then of course it's going to be unhealthy to your slow team that can't outpace 215 on any single Pokemon but hey I mean if you wanna cry about your hard stall getting knocked off then go to the Neverused room and cry about it but until you make a halfway decent argument for a Pokemon with terrible bulk, abysmal Speed and can't fit all 8 moves, 1016 EVs, and 3 items it needs to be broken, I wouldn't bother lol

Edit: If you're going to run Super Fang on Mega Glalie, why even bother with Double-Edge at that point when Return can still 2HKO from there? That would certainly help fuel your arguments.

Edit:

Name one Defogger that isn't threatened by Return or Freeze-Dry. Even the premier spinners have no business trying to clear hazards in Mega Glalie's face.
Because I'm the one who needs help fueling their arguments when people have been making fun of your arguments lol, Double-Edge hits remarkably harder and totals 234 Base Power in damage. And if you calc Return and Double-Edge against the counters mentioned you could clearly tell that the damage output is more than noticeable.

Anyways I'm done trying to convince somebody that just because his probable hard stall team loses to occasional variants of Pangoro that it isn't unhealthy and sometimes you just have to accept that there's some things that your stall team has a tough time beating instead of giving it eight fucking moves, 1016 EVs and three items in order to make it come off as broken. It's slow as all fucking hell and has absolutely awful bulk, if you continue to run Hard Stall you will obviously have trouble with it. Glad you embarrassed yourself by talking about "This Pokemon does really well when its counters somehow magically disappear and that's why it's unhealthy!"

Glad this guy helps dictate what stays and goes the NU tier, what a great council member

Deej Dy

Verified Ladder Scurb 乁( ◔ ౪◔)ㄏ
Versace Python Cased you clearly are either trolling or have no idea what you are talking about (in terms of Pangoro at least, IDGAF about Mega Ice-ball).

I don't agree with 100% of Punchshroom's points, but Pangoro is clearly a huge, versatile threat that you are underestimating. I'd like to see you wall this threat with "decent typing" (hits everything at least neutral besides the "Fairy threats you think exist in NU, which is Granbull, Togetic, and Audino which is part normal), and the plethora of sets and moves it can run. You are right on one thing pointing out it has 4 moves like the rest of Pokemon, congrats on that point.

Belittling Punchshrooms points, which he has tested and I myself have encountered everyday is also another matter. Pangoro isn't the fastest mon (it can reach 236 speed), but the same is for Mega Camerupt which is also slow and really strong, so this speed argument is ridiculous.

You are exaggerating nearly all his points to the point where you create an artificial argument. No hes not trying to run "hard stall" in this metagame, Pangoro is obviously just a great wallbreaker. I also think you need to understand not only stall has slow Pokemon (It can even be argued that 216 or 236 aren't even slow). Here again, not sure if you're trolling or lacking NU experience.

So.... if you think its not threatening at all how about you post some viable counters?
-Or maybe you can post some Calcs or something besides belittling someones comments without any proof?
-Or maybe remain quiet until you get a better understanding of the new Metagame.
-I don't care either way as long as it's not some poorly thought-out flood posts that are taking over this thread.

Heres come calcs to give you a basic idea:
I typically run the Life orb Swords dance set with either 3 attacks (Gunk shot) or Sub/taunt

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Pangoro Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Vileplume: 351-413 (99.1 - 116.6%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Pangoro Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Weezing: 277-328 (82.9 - 98.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

You can also run a jolly Pangoro to the same effect and hit 236 speed (I prefer jolly)

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Pangoro Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Weezing: 253-300 (75.7 - 89.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Pangoro Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 224+ Def Vileplume: 328-386 (92.6 - 109%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

Or good Ol Qwilfish' right?

+1 252 Atk Life Orb Pangoro Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Qwilfish: 259-305 (77.5 - 91.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (After intimidate)

So, basically you come in vs anything slower than 236, kill it (Sub/SD) and proceed to wreck havock. This is only one of the sets, the main others being Scarf and Band, which are completely different and employ hit and run tactics rather than sweeping potential. You can't tell which set is which so simply bluffing scarf and proceed to Sub/SD on your switch and annihilate something/their team.

I don't mean to condescend, but your lashing out on Punchshroom's fair points, with mocking, dismissing, and not proving anything in the process, was getting to be too much for this thread.

Punchshroom

Don't worry I have a slight feeling I know how this works a bit more than you. But clearly you're unable to grasp the fact that I was mocking your arguments where you mentioned about 7/8 different moves on a Pangoro, but it's okay, clearly a Pokemon with terrible bulk and awful Speed with decent typing is unhealthy because I can't run hard stall without running a single great Pokemon out of the plethora of Poison-types or a Fairy-type in Granbull or Togetic (eh this meta but hey do whatcha gotta do).
3 of those moves are set in stone, the other moves can very easily occupy the last slot since Panda can afford it, and do very little to impact Pangoro's wallbreaking ability bar missing out on one/two responses in the whole tier. Also, you keep missing the fact that I mentioned that you want a Poison-type AND a Fairy-type to counter Pangoro properly, and even then sending in the wrong Pokemon first can still leave you in a very bad spot. More on this later.

If it has Mold Breaker (Which takes a lot away from Drain Punch effectiveness) then sure Weezing / Qwilfish / Garbodor are hit hard (Although people commonly speedcreep a lot with Qwilfish so you're not outpacing that, or most Garbodor this metagame). You aren't able to hit the aforementioned Fairies. tl;dr with every move choice you lose a lot of important coverage, but yeah it does obviously have good matchup against hard-stall, but so do all hard-hitting Pokemon because they do well in wearing shit down like Specs Typh / CB Sawk / LO Jynx. That's it, all it does is do well against hard stall. Your shit 216 Speed won't help you do well against any other playstyle and it will be dead weight lol, but hey what do I know I clearly need to learn how this works
Frankly I dislike Mold Breaker since it gives the set away, although if you lack a Fairy-type then it doesn't even matter because you have no switch-in for it. If no Mold Breaker is in sight then comes the guesswork. If it hasn't attacked yet then Lum Berry is still in the running. Sending in your Fairy-type first is always a risk since both Fairies get flat out OHKOed by boosted LO Gunk Shot (and non-LO if Stealth Rock is on the field) and you've done nothing to neutralize the threat, so your Poison-type is often your first response. Lum Berry means that Weezing will lose without even scratching Pangoro, and set Qwilfish back in a similiar manner. Garbodor needs a taxing amount of speed investment to even outpace Pangoro, which leaves it without enough bulk to stomach a +2 Knock Off (without Life Orb even), so Panda can KO Garbodor and still be healthy enough to threaten other defensive Pokemon, especially with Drain Punch improving its longevity. God forbid your Qwilfishes and Garbodors start falling behind Pangoro simply because they start running Jolly, which is a very real possibility given the mutual threat they pose to other Pangoros (much like Dragalge), and the power drop from Adamant can be compensated by Swords Dance.

Specs/Scarf Typhlosion is arguably the most metagame defining Pokemon in XY/ORAS NU. Specs Eruption basically blows up almost anything without insane bulk like SpD Rhydon / AV Hariyama. And it definitely has centralized the metagame to the point where you can only really have two/three Pokemon in the tier that reliably take it on and actually do well in the metagame. SpD Rhydon / AV Hariyama / bulky Mega Camerupt (Without SpD investment have fun coming in on Specs Eruption). Typhlosion's Base Speed is 100 and that's great for NU, well at least compared to Pangoro which is 112 Speed points slower than Specs Typhlosion. Obviously Stealth Rock kinda get in the way of Erupting for 150 BP but the only thing that really reliably comes in is Rhydon / Hariyama. And there's things like Kabutops that obviously fear Focus Blast or Extrasensory (Focus Blast and Extrasensory are awesome coverage moves, which is what separates it from Pyroar regarding choiced sets), but it can come in on Eruption and can threaten it with AJet, so I'd say it's a safe check. Not even standard Seismitoads can really effectively come in on Specs Eruptions, which shows the raw power. But I know I'm not the only one tired of Typhlosion. Which is why I'm posting about it
The fact that Typhlosion has to keep itself Choice locked and suffers from a hazard weakness means that it is not hopeless to keep it in check; things like Kabutops, Ninetales, Carracosta, and Lanturn, in addition to the several checks you've mentioned, can keep Typhlosion from going to Eruption crazy, and those full powered Eruptions can only last for so long before things like hazards, priority, and faster attackers start to get in the way, and then its power drops down to similiar levels to Pyroar, which, as you may have guessed, is not a devastating metagame-warping threat in its own right.

Because I'm the one who needs help fueling their arguments when people have been making fun of your arguments lol, Double-Edge hits remarkably harder and totals 234 Base Power in damage. And if you calc Return and Double-Edge against the counters mentioned you could clearly tell that the damage output is more than noticeable.
You obviously do need help fueling your arguments. I have suggested Return as a supplement to Super Fang because after a Super Fang, Double-Edge's damage is largely unnecessary to secure the 2HKOes that Return would also achieve on them, and you suffer no recoil from doing so. Do a little math and calc which of Mega Glalie's responses that get 2HKOed by Double-Edge after a Super Fang don't get 2HKOed by Return at that point anyway (I will knock Piloswine off the answer(s) you can find, just for you~).

How is it even close to being unhealthy omylord if you run hard stall every game then of course it's going to be unhealthy to your slow team that can't outpace 215 on any single Pokemon but hey I mean if you wanna cry about your hard stall getting knocked off then go to the Neverused room and cry about it but until you make a halfway decent argument for a Pokemon with terrible bulk, abysmal Speed and can't fit all 8 moves, 1016 EVs, and 3 items it needs to be broken, I wouldn't bother lol
You have incredibly high standards for bulk for your wallbreaker when you consider that Samurott (95/85/70) isn't what many people would call a 'frail attacker', while Pangoro's 95/78/71 is still fairly respectable especially when you consider Drain Punch healing from its monstrous attack (which it can boost further) and is still fast enough to outspeed a majority of walls. And it's nice that you brought up the 'mass moves / EVs / items' part when I have already suggested 3 set-in-stone moves for Pangoro, never suggested the filler move(s) be used together at once, and didn't even bring up additional EVs and an item. Plus, did I even say Pangoro was broken?

Here's an example scenario, you switch Weezing into a Swords Danced Pangoro, then it Taunts you when you try to Wisp. That exchange alone means you have crossed out Mold Breaker Earthquake, Substitute, Gunk Shot, and Lum Berry from the list (See?? Not 7/8 moves!!). So you try to salvage the situation by switching out your Taunted Weezing for your Togetic against the boosted Pangoro, but let it show that Pangoro can still plow through it with Knock Off if Stealth Rock is up; at which point, what can the rest of your team do after that?

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Pangoro Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Togetic: 117-138 (37.3 - 44%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

A wallbreaker dismantling teams by making solid predictions is one thing, but the defensive player having their teams dismantled simply by making a wrong uninformed decision is another. During that exchange, there is close to no prediction on the Pangoro user's part. You can't expect me to believe you use Togetic to face off against Pangoro every time to prevent that scenario from occuring, and not (eventually) immediately pay the price for it when it pops out a Gunk Shot. Or do you expect defensive players to resort to Granbull every time? Now let's say the Pangoro in the above scenario was Lum Berry; your Weezing still has done effectively nothing and it could still have Gunk Shot to destroy your Fairy-type.

Anyways I'm done trying to convince somebody that just because his probable hard stall team loses to occasional variants of Pangoro that it isn't unhealthy and sometimes you just have to accept that there's some things that your stall team has a tough time beating instead of giving it eight fucking moves, 1016 EVs and three items in order to make it come off as broken. It's slow as all fucking hell and has absolutely awful bulk, if you continue to run Hard Stall you will obviously have trouble with it. Glad you embarrassed yourself by talking about "This Pokemon does really well when its counters somehow magically disappear and that's why it's unhealthy!"
Lol pls, I speak from both ends that Pangoro can be a goddamned nightmare for defensive teams if they've yet to scout the whole set, and the price for doing so can very easily cost a team member; sometimes countering Pangoro can come down to luck depending on its tech move. This is if you even run 2 counters to Pangoro in the first place.

Glad this guy helps dictate what stays and goes the NU tier, what a great council member
Thank you for your positive reinforcement, would you like the council to ban Typhlosion from the tier now?

Because that won't happen.

Last edited:

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Urgh this is exactly why idea of 'hard counter' shit is useless. Sorry I'm going to have to side with Versace Python Cased 's posts atm - but do remember that personal attacks only take away from your argument. People will be pissed at your flame and not look at your argument, which is what seems to be the case here...

Right now Pangoro can 2HKO the meta. Great. Dragalge could OHKO the meta bar like 10 pokemon, remember? Even then it was a contested ban because it's just so slow! The thing is Pangoro isn't as bulky and doesn't have all that many resists to put in work vs. offense. Pangoro 2HKOs the meta except its defensive checks, which exist and aren't total crap. except significantly weaker, significantly frailer, and actually relies on having the right attacks and right predictions to beat its specific checks. a.k.a. not broken. Punchshroom you can't possibly say you want to ban Pangoro with a straight face. It's just a good mon, while Glalie is certainly seeming a lot more banworthy. I haven't seen a good argument for not banning Glalie other than by derailing the discussion by saying 'oh pangoro can 2hko stuff too'

Cased's trying to claim Glalie is broken and would love to see a good argument against Glalie's banning. He just wants a good discussion man! Some people in the thread just started comparing to Pangoro, which somewhat explains his frustration (though it does not justify it) because his discussion on Glalie was completely derailed by a comparison to a mon that doesn't come even close!

Glalie requires 0 prediction to just click Double-Edge unless you have a really bad mon that does nothing other than counter Glalie (walrein, etc.). You can't even possibly hope to pivot or predict on resists like you can against Pangoro, unless you're running shit like Walrein, which gets wrecked by super fang + sr anyways. And Glalie's siginficiantly faster and outpaces and OHKOs a lot of balance members, which causes more trouble than just vs. full stall. And you complain about how Super Fang is ~useless~ but it isn't. Not suffering recoil first of all is ginormous. Especially against a team that actually has offensive pressure and can fore out Glalie if necessary! You only need Double-Edge and Explosion. Rest are pick-and-choose. Ice Shard is priority - Ice Shard is nice, so let's just lock in those 3 moves and see what our options are for the final moveslot. Earthquake is ~ok~ at hitting some of the nichy resists like Probopass and Torkoal but they're not even that relevant. Freeze Dry hits PhyDef Prinplup and... what else? PhyDef Poliwrath? Super Fang hits all of those nichey counters, while still being good in more normal matchups. I feel Freeze Dry is irrelevant unless you're aiming to counterteam Kiyo. The fact is, doing 12~18% more to M-Steelix with 0 recoil is significant, because it's a really, really common mon. And on top of that if you find yourself vs. niche counters then you'll find Super Fang very helpful. The matter of fact is that you're not going to always get Steelix to switch only into Glalie. It checks a lot more other things. And to those mons that Steelix is supposed to check, that 12-18% more damage is really significant. A 65% Steelix has a lot better time trying to check the things that it should compared to a 50% Steelix. Yes, Steelix dies to 3 Double-Edges just like it does to Super Fang + 2 Double-Edges. But that doesn't nullify Super Fang's utility.

So basically Pangoro's a slow swords dancer. It's a dedicated wallbreaker. And somehow when the meta thinks that a dedicated stallbreaker is amazing (Xatu on XY, anyone?) you should be more than willing to spend 2 members trying to cover it hard without having to fall immediately to the second Fighting-type they're bound to carry. That's not centralizing: that's just the consequence of running 4 other Pangoro bait like Audino, Ferroseed, w/e. Of course if you run stuff like those they become liabilities and you'll have to account for those liabilities. It's like running Weezing in a Dragalge meta all over again. If you run a Dragalge bait, you deserve to pull yourself up a few hard counters. If you run multiple Pangoro baits, then by same logic you should aim to have a few pangoro checks, at the very least.

On another note, can we talk about TR? I feel it's a fun playstyle with MegaRupt!

First I wanna say if you insult/attack someone personally then you just look like an idiot and only other idiots will take you seriously (not attacking anyone here, just throwing it out there to the people who do it to support their arguments)

Second, I have to agree with Versace Python Cased for the most part. Pangoro is not broken which means it is not ban worthy. Most of what has to be said here has been said above, but to highlight a few things... Sure it beats stall. Big deal. Any good stallbreaker/wallbreaker will beat stall. I don't even wanna hear the argument that it beats balance, cause if you aren't even running something to check Panda then you have a stupid team. Panda has a lot of checks, too many to name. It also has no priority at all, so it can't exactly sweep either unless you're playing a shitty team with no mons over 215 speed. Maybe it has a lot of sets, but even then the only thing that kind of beats offense is the scarf set, which still has to lock it'self into a move that will for sure have a lot of switch ins. Sure you might have to sack something, but that hasn't been any different for any other top sweeper like typhlosion, sawk, samurott, camerupt (shitty examples but you get the idea). My point is, people are overestimating Panda. Dragalge had no switch ins either, but people were largely on the fence about it being banned and most people didn't think it should be banned. It's not even hard to deal with if you run anything that is faster than it and can OHKO it. There is sawk, archeops, mesprit, typhlosion, xatu, swellow, w/e. Unless it's scarfed all of these things check it. Also remember, you can't run every set at once. Every one of pandas sets has a check. It can't have the privilege of having sd and taunt while also being scarfed and banded at the same time but also having enough bulk to live a drain punch gurdurr whilst still having maxed out speed and jolly.

In other words: no, you can't run the set of champions. 4 moves and 1 item only pls

tl;dr: if you don't bother to check panda then you deserve to get slaughtered. It's not a one man army and can't beat everything.

#freecombusken2k14

Why are people trying to argue the point that Panda isn't broken? Nobody ever claimed Pangoro is broken.
For the record, I don't recall calling Pangoro 'broken', as opposed to 'unhealthy', like The Goomy said (for much the same reasons). I merely said its wallbreaking abilities are superior to Mega Glalie's due to its survivability.
I mean, goddamn, it's like people can't read or something.

Punchshroom

First off, let me say that some of my opinions have changed during the course of this argument. Time to settle this....
Right now Pangoro can 2HKO the meta. Great. Dragalge could OHKO the meta bar like 10 pokemon, remember? Even then it was a contested ban because it's just so slow! The thing is Pangoro isn't as bulky and doesn't have all that many resists to put in work vs. offense. Pangoro 2HKOs the meta except its defensive checks, which exist and aren't total crap. except significantly weaker, significantly frailer, and actually relies on having the right attacks and right predictions to beat its specific checks. a.k.a. not broken. Punchshroom you can't possibly say you want to ban Pangoro with a straight face. It's just a good mon, while Glalie is certainly seeming a lot more banworthy. I haven't seen a good argument for not banning Glalie other than by derailing the discussion by saying 'oh pangoro can 2hko stuff too'
At least Dragalge could be at least be hard stopped by the likes of Audino and even Metang if it comes down to it. Pangoro requires 2 hard counters since Panda's ease in employing techs means that every potential counter is shaky. Dragalge's reliance on Draco Meteor to stallbreak means that it doesn't steamroll defensive teams to a similiar degree to Pangoro can, and Panda's great dual STABs means that it rarely employs any sort of prediction as there is generally very little risk involved. I have stated multiple times that I don't think Pangoro is outright broken (thanks TheTraininator), but I do think that it is a tad bit too good at its job.

So basically Pangoro's a slow swords dancer. It's a dedicated wallbreaker. And somehow when the meta thinks that a dedicated stallbreaker is amazing (Xatu on XY, anyone?) you should be more than willing to spend 2 members trying to cover it hard without having to fall immediately to the second Fighting-type they're bound to carry. That's not centralizing: that's just the consequence of running 4 other Pangoro bait like Audino, Ferroseed, w/e. Of course if you run stuff like those they become liabilities and you'll have to account for those liabilities. It's like running Weezing in a Dragalge meta all over again. If you run a Dragalge bait, you deserve to pull yourself up a few hard counters. If you run multiple Pangoro baits, then by same logic you should aim to have a few pangoro checks, at the very least.
See, the fact that Pangoro has access to Swords Dance and a powerful Drain Punch means that the term 'Pangoro bait' can practically extend to every defensive Pokemon that isn't its hard counter or can defend itself with Fairy moves. Compared to every other wallbreaker introduced in NU, Pangoro has one of, if not the best matchups against slower teams. Defensive teams always had a knack of fending off wallbreakers despite the latter's superior speed, be it Magmortar, Xatu, and Dragalge, but against Pangoro, being slower simply would not work out, which significantly differs from the norm from how defensive teams normally respond to wallbreakers. And Pangoro isn't even Mega Camerupt slow, it can outrun a large majority of walls in the tier with speed investment that most walls would be pained to try to afford (case in point: Garbodor); Panda can probably run Jolly just to get ahead of the curve (and other Pangoros), and I would not be the least bit surprised if its wallbreaking ability does not wane in the slightest.

Cased's trying to claim Glalie is broken and would love to see a good argument against Glalie's banning. He just wants a good discussion man! Some people in the thread just started comparing to Pangoro, which somewhat explains his frustration (though it does not justify it) because his discussion on Glalie was completely derailed by a comparison to a mon that doesn't come even close!
I brought up Pangoro as a comparison to Mega Glalie for 'Pokemon most likely to fuk up defensive teams' and 'easy ability to take out its own counters'. Don't get me wrong, I recognize Mega Glalie as also being one of those Pokemon that is 'too good at its job', and that Mega Glalie's job(s) encompass a wider scale than simply thrashing defensive teams. But don't make it look like I brought up a completely unrelated subject.

Fine, let's shift discussion to Mega Glalie: I will start by bringing up one of Mega Glalie's most significant flaws, in that its typing and average initial speed means it can have a hard time finding a safe Mega Evolving opportunity against the offensive teams it is supposed to threaten, probably having more difficulty doing so than Pangoro simply finding an opening to punch a hole in offensive teams, which is likely why I'm not complaining about Mega Glalie nearly as much as other people. I will admit Mega Glalie does have a better payoff when it does find its golden chance against offensive teams though.

Glalie requires 0 prediction to just click Double-Edge unless you have a really bad mon that does nothing other than counter Glalie (walrein, etc.). You can't even possibly hope to pivot or predict on resists like you can against Pangoro, unless you're running shit like Walrein, which gets wrecked by super fang + sr anyways. And Glalie's siginficiantly faster and outpaces and OHKOs a lot of balance members, which causes more trouble than just vs. full stall. And you complain about how Super Fang is ~useless~ but it isn't. Not suffering recoil first of all is ginormous. Especially against a team that actually has offensive pressure and can fore out Glalie if necessary! You only need Double-Edge and Explosion. Rest are pick-and-choose. Ice Shard is priority - Ice Shard is nice, so let's just lock in those 3 moves and see what our options are for the final moveslot. Earthquake is ~ok~ at hitting some of the nichy resists like Probopass and Torkoal but they're not even that relevant. Freeze Dry hits PhyDef Prinplup and... what else? PhyDef Poliwrath? Super Fang hits all of those nichey counters, while still being good in more normal matchups. I feel Freeze Dry is irrelevant unless you're aiming to counterteam Kiyo. The fact is, doing 12~18% more to M-Steelix with 0 recoil is significant, because it's a really, really common mon. And on top of that if you find yourself vs. niche counters then you'll find Super Fang very helpful. The matter of fact is that you're not going to always get Steelix to switch only into Glalie. It checks a lot more other things. And to those mons that Steelix is supposed to check, that 12-18% more damage is really significant. A 65% Steelix has a lot better time trying to check the things that it should compared to a 50% Steelix. Yes, Steelix dies to 3 Double-Edges just like it does to Super Fang + 2 Double-Edges. But that doesn't nullify Super Fang's utility.
I have addressed a while ago that I no longer think Super Fang is very niche. My most recent claim is that 'Super Fang + Double-Edge' is largely redundant and unnecessary when compared to 'Super Fang + Return'. The problem I have with the 'Super Fang hit-and-run' tactic is that Mega Glalie does not get many switch-in opportunities to start threatening things again, especially with its typing and unimproved bulk, which is why coverage moves are (situationally) useful to allow Glalie to finish the job without being forced out first. Opponents can even attempt to play around Super Fang's inability to KO by sending in other targets to bait Mega Glalie's less harmful attacks on their Mega Glalie response, so Super Fang is not nearly as prediction-free as people make it out to be. On another note, running Double-Edge without Super Fang is perfectly fine and gives it more room for other options, which only increases its unpredictability factor and makes it even more dangerous and universally useful. There, my opinion on Mega Glalie: very powerful, versatile, borderline broken with its ability to force many unfavorable trades, but not nearly as unstoppable as many people say it is.

On another note, can we talk about TR? I feel it's a fun playstyle with MegaRupt!
You know it feels very awkward talking about Pangoro after specifically trying not to go back to it, but the sheer power, wonderful dual STAB options, and most importantly Parting Shot, which can be used on the turn TR would wear out to make it easier for your Trick Room setter to reset it, cannot be overstated, as well as obviously patching its biggest flaw and allowing it to plow through most offensive teams with ease. MegaRupt is also very good in Trick Room since it has devastating power and good bulk (though the Aqua Jet weakness can be annoying), and certainly pairs nicely with Pangoro to eliminate practically all of Panda's counters. Trick Room has certainly improved as a playstyle with these two behemoths, and has kept its solid supportive options in the likes of Carbink, Audino, and Mesprit to keep it strong. Trick Room also benefitted from the meta shifting to a more offensive take, due to a certain two Pokemon >.>

#freecombusken2k14
Yes, let's free the Pokemon that is most capable of patching up Pangoro's flaws after everyone has argued that its low speed is the biggest thing keeping it in check, and Combusken's effectiveness itself having not apparently waned from when it was last banned; an offensive metagame means that there are more threats that can easily take advantage of Combusken's consistent Passing, and even give an offensive Combusken a chance to sweep and threaten a quick Pass at the same time (much like OU Blaziken, albeit to a less extreme degree, as Combusken is weaker but the meta is frailer), while a defensive metagame means that Combusken has a much easier time netting boosts with its Eviolited bulk without much worry. I'd rather have Sigilyph back than see Combusken again in our current meta.

Edit: Sorry Wolfenstein, considering all of these proposals it's hard to identify a joke from a legitimate outcry at this point :(

Last edited:
Yes, let's free the Pokemon that is most capable of patching up Pangoro's flaws after everyone has argued that its low speed is the biggest thing keeping it in check, and Combusken's effectiveness itself having not apparently waned from when it was last banned; an offensive metagame means that there are more threats that can easily take advantage of Combusken's consistent Passing, and even give an offensive Combusken a chance to sweep and threaten a quick Pass at the same time (much like OU Blaziken, albeit to a less extreme degree, as Combusken is weaker but the meta is frailer), while a defensive metagame means that Combusken has a much easier time netting boosts with its Eviolited bulk without much worry. I'd rather have Sigilyph back than see Combusken again in our current meta.
It was just a joke... In fact that hashtag had no relation to any of my posts lol, why would i ever want to see more baton pass shenanigans in nu?

Punchshroom

In an attempt to shift discussion to a more progressive note again, I'm just going to bring up a comparison between Mega Glalie and Jynx, a fellow powerful Ice-type wallbreaker that has managed to settle in the tier. I've listed the pros and cons of each, and highlighting their advantages / flaws that the other doesn't have, so we can come to a better assessment as to what makes Mega Glalie truly broken. I have also italicized certain move combos that aren't, or shouldn't be, used together, so that standard sets can be more easily identified, while also listing them in order of (debatable) relevance.

+ Great speed tier (after Mega Evolving)
+ Immense, metagame-defining power (Refrigerate Return nearly eclipses Life Orb Jynx's Ice Beam in terms of raw strength, without any cost to Mega Glalie)
+ Instant KO move in Refrigerate Explosion
+ Sufficient coverage options
+ Super Fang lessens the need for coverage
+ Priority in Ice Shard

+ Utility in Spikes and emergency Explosion
- Average speed before Mega Evolving
- Bad defensive typing
- Hazard weakness
- Few switch-in opportunities
Notable moves in Mega Glalie's arsenal: (Super Fang, Return), Double-Edge, Explosion, Ice Shard, Spikes, Freeze-Dry, Earthquake, Taunt

+ Good (but not as great) speed tier
+ Excellent power
+ Instant 'KO move' in Lovely Kiss (does not KO opponents directly, but does put them out of commission without costing Jynx's life)
+ Utility also in Lovely Kiss, as well as Dry Skin
+ Wide coverage movepool
+ Can wield items
+ Boosting move in Nasty Plot
+ Access to passive healing in Dry Skin and/or Leftovers
- Incredibly physically frail, especially when it comes to priority
(aside from an Aqua Jet immunity)
- Bad defensive typing
- Hazard weakness (can be mitigated by its passive recovery)
- Few switch-in opportunities (has more resistances + immunities than Glalie)
Notable moves in Jynx's arsenal: Lovely Kiss, Ice Beam, Psyshock, Focus Blast, Nasty Plot, Substitute, Trick

On the surface level, there doesn't actually seem to be too much that immediately suggests that one of these Ice-type holepunchers is more universally broken than the other, as they share a good number of strengths and flaws. So what exactly is prompting people to dig up otherwise relatively obscure Ice resists when no one has complained about Jynx to any similiar sort of degree? Is Mega Glalie's raw unaltered power too much for NU to handle? Or is it because Mega Glalie is more resilient to most forms of priority than Jynx is? If players have not had trouble keeping Jynx in check, why don't (or can't) they do the same to Mega Glalie? I'd like to hear some more legitimate thoughts on this.

Last edited:

The Goomy

Whitest Mexican Alive
I'm not entirely sure how a special attacker with no priority, that doesn't get spikes, has a different typing, as well as completely different checks and counters is comparable to mega glalie in any way shape in form other than, "hey, here's the only other relevant ice type in the tier".

Punchshroom

what about you stop comparing M-Glalie to other Pokemon (that don't even do the same exact things) and tell us why M-Glalie is balanced.
That isn't the point of my post, are you trying to suggest Jynx is broken as well (I know you're not)? People have complained about bringing obscure Ice resists to their teams when there is already an Ice-type that would warrant the use of solid Ice resists anyway, with many similiar traits to boot (powerful Ice-type attacks, instant KO move, high speed, versatility, etc..), so yes, they can do similiar things, which is to holepunch with relatively little opposition. I've pretty much already brought up points on Mega Glalie's potential brokenness, what I'd like to hear is what makes it especially more broken than already existing Ice-types in the tier; I can apply much of Glalie's traits to Jynx if you try to tell me what makes Glalie that broken.

I will bring up these points again:
On the surface level, there doesn't actually seem to be too much that immediately suggests that one of these Ice-type holepunchers is more universally broken than the other, as they share a good number of strengths and flaws. So what exactly is prompting people to dig up otherwise relatively obscure Ice resists when no one has complained about Jynx to any similiar sort of degree? Is Mega Glalie's raw unaltered power too much for NU to handle? Or is it because Mega Glalie is more resilient to most forms of priority than Jynx is? If players have not had trouble keeping Jynx in check, why don't (or can't) they do the same to Mega Glalie? I'd like to hear some more legitimate thoughts on this.
If the tier hasn't complained about Jynx, why are they complaining about Glalie? What exactly is pushing Glalie over the edge?

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
People have complained about bringing obscure Ice resists to their teams when there is already an Ice-type that would warrant the use of solid Ice resists anyway, with many similiar traits to boot (powerful Ice-type attacks, instant KO moves, high speed, versatility, etc..), so yes, they can do similiar things, which is to holepunch with relatively little opposition. I've pretty much already brought up points on Mega Glalie's potential brokenness, what I'd like to hear is what makes it especially more broken than already existing Ice-types in the tier; I can apply much of Glalie's traits to Jynx.

I will bring up these points again:

If the tier hasn't complained about Jynx, why are they complaining about Glalie? What exactly is pushing Glalie over the edge?
Because you have to bring physical Ice resists to account for Mega Glalie, while Jynx isn't nearly as good in this meta as it was in BW2. So tbh if you're gonna compare the two then you should really be comparing BW2 Jynx to ORAS Glalie and what they have thats similar enough for a suspect test.

Edit @ below: I dont shrug off panda, its a top tier mon imo.

Last edited:

Punchshroom

Because you have to bring physical Ice resists to account for Mega Glalie, while Jynx isn't nearly as good in this meta as it was in BW2. So tbh if you're gonna compare the two then you should really be comparing BW2 Jynx to ORAS Glalie and what they have thats similar enough for a suspect test.
I understand that Mega Glalie is very strong, and it presents us with our first real physical Ice-type nuke (sry Sneasel ;_;), but you make it seem like being forced to bring physical Ice resists is somehow automatically a bad thing, and you shrug off Panda centralizing all defensive teams by its lonesome. Looking at BW2 Jynx and the current Jynx, the only big thing that nerfed it was the sleep mechanics reverting to the way it was, as well as the speed tier getting slightly bumped (although Glalie is still only just sitting pretty at the safe minimum, and that is after Mega Evolving), so the Jynx of today didn't seem to lose that much potency within the transition. Nearly all of the priority moves and fast mons that keep it in check today were present back then too (albeit with some slight variation), so you can't convince me that those keep Jynx from being less broken today than in BW2, which was why I felt that using the current Jynx seems like a good enough comparison.

Regardless, I know that the huge majority of Mega Glalie responses do not have reliable recovery, but Mega Glalie is not exactly a longevity demon itself, just like Jynx; it's not like many of Jynx's responses have reliable recovery on their own.

Last edited:
I've played a bit more with the new toys in ORAS NU and wanted to post my thoughts on them, namely the controversial M-Glalie and Pangoro.

For M-Glalie, I did not account for Super Fang which is indeed an interesting move. Super Fang allows M-Glalie to whittle it's checks and even defeat some of it's previous counters. But it comes at a cost, as does Freeze Dry, in that it forces the user to make room for the move. On top of this, Super Fang can never kill it's target andbrings another level of prediction into the game. Glalie has the terrible misfortune of having the Ice typing and does not gain any additional bulk after Mega Evolving. For example, let's take this scenario: You have a Glalie in and they have a Hariyama on their team and they lead with Exeggutor. If they stay in as you Super Fang, they can put you to sleep or kill you if they're offensive. I understand that prediction is 50/50 and Return/Double Edge is necessary, I think we can all agree to that much, which leaves room for 3 moves. Glalie wants to run: Earthquake (it's only good physical coverage move), Ice Shard (Priority to hit weakened scarfers or even some healthy ones such as Rotom-S), Explosion (I first thought it was gimmicky, and it sort of is, but it can be a very valuable 1 for 1 if used correctly), Freeze Dry (To hit Prinplup/Poliwrath/Gatr/Samurott/other bulky waters), the aforementioned Super Fang (take 50% off of any of it's checks/counters), Taunt (Help it beat Miltank/Avalugg(Not 100% if Glalie will be able to kill Avalugg, but at the very least Avalugg will be crippled), and Spikes (Doesn't need explaining, just a good move).

The biggest problem with M-Glalie is that the only other fast physical Ice type we've had is Sneasel which doesn't make for much competition. Glalie has average bulk (80/80/80) which doesn't change when Mega-Evolving, but gains +40 to both offensive stats and +20 to speed. M-Glalie is fast, but not absurdly so (M-Scep/Beedrill). It's strong, but by no means the strongest (CB Sawk/Zangoose). It's got acceptable bulk, but it's by no means the bulkiest (Mesprit/Hariyama). What it does have is a powerful, physical, Ice type stab. This is new to NU as there are few physical Ice types at all, let alone good ones. With M-Glalie, you have a very good idea of what it'll usually be doing as the only real changes you'll see are a few different moves. M-Glalie is also hindered by it's typing which makes it weak to rocks and common priority. Many people are just refusing to adapt to this new type of pokemon. The main argument is, please correct me if I'm wrong, "M-Glalie forces us to run these certain pokemon [Physical Ice Types]". Is that not true for almost every pokemon that drops? The pokemon that check/counter M-Glalie aren't bad (Well, some are if you're counting Walrein [sry Topah] and Furfrou). What will you do if they create another physical Ice type next gen? Just keep banning them because you don't want to run something for them? Piloswine/Miltank both get access to the coveted Stealth Rocks and have their own special traits. Piloswine has the same coverage as M-Glalie, but gets stab on Earthquake and trades speed for bulk. Miltank is more suited to running defensive sets and has access to many great utility moves. "Oh no, mono attacking normal is bad!!!" I can't be bothered to look through the thread again and see who said this, but I found this argument ridiculous. The only logical outcome of this argument I can see if that people are afraid of getting setup on by pokemon that are immune/resist Normal. The only relevant ones that come to mind are Pawniard, Klingklang, and Mismagius, and the last 2 don't want to come in on a potential Twave. There definitely are plenty of viable pokemon who check M-Glalie, people just need to stop using the same damn pokemon and stop being stubborn. Unlike certain pokemon, Glalie has no possible way of boosting it's stats (bar baton pass) which means you don't need to worry about stopping mons that manage to hit +2. Just skimming through the teambuilder, I see plenty of pokemon that can switch into Glalie with relative ease and I see potential for innovation (and I'm not talking about using bad sets as innovation, I genuinely mean innovative sets that work. I would list some but I plan on using a few if M-Glalie does stay, so you'll have to look for yourselves <- clearly talking about unorthodox sets, no idea how you were able to take this argument and turn it around and say I didn't list any answers. I listed them in my previous post and reiterated myself in my next post, but whatever.) in several mons.

Pangoro is also rather controversial due to it receiving amazing moves in Knock Off, Drain Punch, and Gunk Shot. These can be used in multiple ways, via Stall-Breaker sets, Wall-Breaker sets, Scarf sets, or plain LO sets. After an SD, the only pokemon that was willing to take a stab hit are Fairy types who are outsped (bar Mrs. Mime who dies to Knock Off as well) and smashed by Gunk Shot. Pangoro boasts the same typing as Scrafty (I miss you BB), but that typing was "nerfed" in XY due to the introduction of Fairy types. This means Pangoro is weak to a form of Priority, fighting priority (Mach Punch/Vacuum Wave) and has 3 weaknesses (Fighting, Flying, and Fairy). Pangoro boasts a good movepool with perfect coverage and excellent support/setup moves in Taunt, Swords Dance, and Parting Shot. Even after an Intimidate, Pangoro does 45% to Qwilfish (if Banded) and LO SD comes very close to Ohkoing (Qwilfish does Outspeed however and can Twave the threat or taunt it if brought in before the SD). The only real way of dealing with Pangoro is having a faster mon with a super effective move (ie Mesprit/ w/ Dazzling Gleam, Archeops w/ Acrobatics, or Sawk with Close Combat). Weezing "lives" a +2 LO Knock Off and can Will-o-Wisp it, but loses 95% of it's health in the process, but dies to +2 Mold Breaker EQ. However, despite it's great bulk, Pangoro does have a difficult time setting up. It only resists Ghost, Dark and Pyschic (immune) moves and most of them carry coverage that hits Pangoro super effectively or can U-turn out (Mesprit/Xatu/Mismagius with Dazzling gleam, Jynx w/ Focus Blast Mesprit/Liepard/Xatu w/ U-turn). I'm very on-the-fence about Pangoro, more so than Glalie. Pangoro resists rocks and makes stall unplayable in a way that M-Glalie cannot, the best that stall can do is wait for it to die via LO recoil. Verses balance, Pangoro was a trickier time getting it, but it can still pose a major threat. However, it finds it very very difficult in finding any time to do anything versus offense/HO due to the fast paced game. Pangoro lacks any priority as well which makes revenge killing easier than killing M-Glalie and it can be difficult to judge when you're free to SD since it is so slow. Pangoro also has to be careful when locking itself into moves, especially non-Knock Off moves. Slurpuff leaving the tier meant that the only fairy that resisted it's dual stab AND outsped is gone (Knock is the most common move it locks itself into because it's Knock Off so Mrs. Mime is a no go). Personally, I wouldn't mind either way if it got banned or stayed, but if it was suspected and I had were put to a vote I'd definitely say ban.

Tldr; Stop being stubborn old men and run Physical Ice type checks/counters and Pangoro has almost 0 switch ins. People can't take a joke

Last edited:
Just skimming through the teambuilder, I see plenty of pokemon that can switch into Glalie with relative ease and I see potential for innovation (and I'm not talking about using bad sets as innovation, I genuinely mean innovative sets that work. I would list some but I plan on using a few if M-Glalie does stay, so you'll have to look for yourselves) in several mons.
I don't post much, but... Your entire argument seems flawed if you can't back it up. You say you would tell us examples of more Pokemon that could switch into Glalie but you won't because... why? That's like me writing a persuasive essay for English class and saying "I don't want to provide evidence, you'll just have to look yourself." If you've got something to contribute that would be cool.

If you want a list then here you go buddy. I'll run down the list and put mons that can switch in just for you!

Miltank- Thick Fat + bulky
Piloswine- Thick Fat+ bulky
Hariyama- Thick Fat + Bulky (Has Priority)
Gurdurr- Mach punch kills after Double Edge+Rocks
Granbull- Intimidate
Steelix+Mega Steelix- Super Bulky
Regirock- Super Bulky
Regice- Resists Stab, Bulky
Avalugg- Resists main stab, extremely bulky
SpDef Carracosta- Lives 2 Freeze Drys thanks to Solid Rock
Prinplup-Resists stab, bulky enough to take freeze drys, retaliates with Scald/Toxic
Metang- Lives 2 EQs, Mash+BP
Lapras- Eats up all hits, 4x resists stab and neutral to Freeze Dry and EQ
Vanilluxe- Resists stab, has Flash Cannon
^ These work assuming a set consisting of Freeze Dry, EQ, and Double Edge. If you try and remove one, then the next few pokemon can switch in easily:

Feraligatr, Samurott, Qwilfish, Poliwrath - If lacking Freeze Dry
Klingklang, Lanturn, fire types -If Lacking EQ

Bad mons that can switch in: <- I literally called them bad right here

Walrein, Furfrou, Torkoal, Shedinja

I didn't really think I needed to list them again seeing as I did it before, but you felt like cherry picking so there you go. The reason I didn't feel like listing them again is because all you had to do was reference my previous post or open teambuilder. Is it hard to switch into, of course. Is it impossible? Not at all, just stop running the same team you did before it dropped. Also, how did I not post evidence? I listed a few mons in my previous post as well. I simply didn't go as in depth because I thought we all had the capability of looking at the teambuilder. The only argument I can see from you is "Tell me why it's not broken" to which I now refute and say, "tell me why you think it's broken".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)