NU Defensive? (RMT)

I've never liked OU. I've liked UU a bit, but its really NU that I really enjoy. With gimmicky, beaten-off-the-path, obscure Pokemon, I think its the best tier.

Now, I'm going to be the first to say, this is my first NU team. I know a lot of theorymon, but I don't know much of the practical application of Pokemon. I think this is more of a defensive team, and not so much of a stall team. In this thread, you will read about the team, the team-building process, and my attempt to analyze the highly unpredictable, extremely hostile and very powerful environment that is NU.

I also want to say, now that Cloyster, Nidoqueen, Leafeon and all the good 'stall Pokemon' in NU have left, can stall make a comeback?

Team-Building Process
I always wanted to build a defensive team outside of OU and Ubers, the developed metagames. By the time I had finished fooling around with an Nidoqueen/Vaporeon/Celebi/Heatran/Blissey/Skarmory team on Pearl and actually picked up the game again, UU had been well developed, but NU has just started to be developed.

On Pearl, against battles from my friends, I found that Toxic Spikes (from Nidoqueen) and a Fire/Water/Grass defensive core was extremely useful in bringing down threatening Pokemon. I used a Wish passing Vaporeon, Plust's Blissey ('cause you know how good it is), a Toxic Spikes & Stealth Rock Nidoqueen, TormentTran, a Bold SubSeed Celebi and my own Skarmory, BB, Spikes, Roost and some other fourth move I don't care to remember. I found that in addition to the Fire/Water/Grass core (these Pokemon were sturdy enough to withstand attacks from both sides of the spectrum), a secondary SkarmBliss core was also very useful. Nidoqueen rounded out the type synergy perfectly, as her unique typing provides useful resistances and immunities, not to mention the ability to absorb and lay down Poison Spikes, which she is (arguably) better at doing than Tentacruel. (Forgoing the use of Tentacruel and using Nidoqueen also meant I could use Vaporeon.) Since then, when my last Pokemon Vaporeon stalled out my friend's Hypnosis/Thunderbolt/Psychic/Will-o-Wisp Trace Gardevoir (yeah, dunno how that happened...Vaporeon's only direct attack was Surf), I'd wanted to continue using that defensive core.

To start this off, I know I want a Fire Type, a Grass Type and a Water Type. Additionally, I decided I was going to use Nidoqueen because she was so useful in my experiences.

Next, I wanted to determine my three Pokemon. I looked through the list of Fire Types first. There was Torkoal, Camerupt, Flareon and Magcargo that caught my attention as being defensively sound. I cast away Magcargo and Torkoal due to their 4x weaknesses to water, leaving me with Torkoal and Flareon. I ultimately decided on Flareon, seeing his ability to pass Wishes, and higher overall defenses, plus higher attacks and speed.

For my water type, I decided on Mantine, being attracted immediately to the two immunities and dual weakness it had, as well and the high special defense stat; for a grass type, I chose the most defensive pure grass type in the absence of Tangrowth, Meganium, with very solid 80/100/100 defenses. I also gave good consideration to Exeggutor, Bellossom, Cradily, Jumpluff, Vileplume and Wormadam. Please don't make fun of me for that. Wormadam is a cool-looking Pokemon. I tossed out Wormadam after seeing her support movepool...or lack thereof. I nixed Vileplume because I felt I didn't need the secondary Poison Typing with Nidoqueen already on the team. Bellossom went because of the low HP, although I really liked the support movepool and Sp. Def. That left me with just Meganium, Jumpluff, Cradily and Exeggutor. After reading through the analysis, I got the impression that Jumpluff was mostly used as a Pokemon to 'glue' together a team of mostly sweepers, and I didn't like having all three of my walls being SR weak. Then, I weighed my options between Exeggutor, Meganium and Cradily.

Exegutor: 95/85/65 Sleep Power, Wish, Leech Seed, Toxic, Protect, Reflect, Light Screen, Explosion, Curse, Gravity, Ingrain, Mimic, Moonlight, Power Swap, Rest, Skill Swap, Stun Spore, Substitute, Sunny Day, Thief, Trick Room and Worry Seed. Most of his support movepool is gimmicky, and the base 65 Sp. Def really hurts. However, I really do like Sleep Powder and Wish, so maybe.

Meganium: 80/100/100 Aromatherapy, Light Screen, Reflect, Leech Seed, Synthesis, Worry Seed, Substitute, Grasswhistle, Toxic, Counter, Ingrain, Mimic, Protect, Rest, Role Play, Safeguard, Substitute, and Wring Out. Sorta gimmicky and without a reliable recovery move (Exeggutor could Wish/Protect) with a lot of PP. However, I really like Aromatherapy and Counter, and I think Role Play would be really cool to use against Flash Fire Pokemon (Ninetails, I'm looking at you). Substitute + Role Play would be really interesting...but Exeggutor would probably do that better with Skill Swap. However, I really like the better defenses and the mono grass typing, which means I might survive random Megahorns/Bug Buzzes. Definite possibility.

Cradily: 86/97/107 Curse, Sleep Talk, Rest, Recover, Substitute, Stealth Rock, Protect,
Stockpile. Mirror Coat, Confuse Ray, Amnesia, Barrier, Block, Body Slam, Curse, Gastro Acid, Ingrain, Mimic, Pain Split, Psych Up, Rock Polish, Sandstorm, Spit Up, Sunny Day, Swallow, Synthesis, Toxic, Worry Seed, and Wring Out. Easily the best support movepool of the three and the highest defenses. However, the extra rock type is what I really didn't like, especially after I chose my fourth member and lead. Additionally, I don't like that Cradily doesn't get the screens. Maybe, but the least of the three choices.

For the time being, I'm sticking with Meganium.

I still needed two more members. I looked through the list of physically defensive Pokemon in NU, and decided on Miltank. Not only did she add a Ghost immunity, but she added a great staller for the team. Additionally, I've always had a soft spot for Miltank, and I've never underestimated her...I'm some many of us remember trying to defeat Whitney's Miltank in GSC and never being able to do so until the 10th time or so. 95/105/70 defenses are like Physical Blissey. Despite that, Thick Fat would have secured her a spot anyway, as now she has wonderful synergy with Meganium and Nidoqueen.

I still needed a lead, and I must have been in a weird mood, or just gotten off from running or something, because I was really hyper and chosen Raticate. Raticate was a weird kind of suicide lead that I figured most people weren't prepared for, and like Jynx, he's one of those 'beaten off the path' Pokemon. (I swear, Jynx will make it into one of my teams one of these days.)

Unfortunately, Nidoqueen was banned from NU, so I had to drop her spot. Yippie. There went Stealth Rock, Toxic Spikes and my ability to absorb the latter entry hazard.

Additionally, after playing with the team a little bit, I decided Raticate didn't fit the concept of the team that well. I looked around for a bit, and Friar suggested running Caturne. He also suggested replacing Mantine with Slowking and adding Sandslash for its physical bulk and spinning abilities. SO there I was, with three new members of my team.

The first thing that jumped out at me was I had a massive Swift Swim Seaking weakness, as 3 of my Pokes were weak to Megahorn and 2 weak to Surf (Miltank was the only one neutral). Sure enough, I got destroyed by a Swift Swim Seaking on th first battle I used this. However, Cacturne dealt with the Electrode lead extremely well, and besides the battle, this team actually worked very well. Ich777ich pointed out a major weakness to LO + 4atks Pinsir. With that in mind, he opted for switching out Flareon for Ninetails. I figured this was pretty sound advice, so I followed it.

Analysis:

Cacturne @ Focus Sash
Sand Veil
Adamant (+ Atk, - Sp. Atk)
EVs: 252 Atk, 4 Def, 252 Spd
~ Spikes
~ Seed Bomb
~ Sucker Punch
~ Encore

First off, props to Friar for suggesting this to me. Cacturne is a brilliant lead that absolutely screws over Rain Dancers, Sandstormers...really anything that sets up something on the first turn. Spikes is a great way to damage your opponent by chipping off 12.5%, 18.75%, or 25% of their health after 1, 2, or 3 layers, respectively. Seed Bomb serves as primary STAB for Cacturne. A trusty STAB Seed Bomb coming off 361 Atk is always fun, right? Sucker Punch is the kicker against other leads, especially faster, frail ones, such as Electrode. Encore rounds off the set, giving Cacturne a way to set up Spikes. Against Electrode, Encore the first turn to encore their Rain Dance. If you encore an Explosion, you survive because of Focus Sash. Once Rain Dance has been encored, you can either use the free turn to set up Spikes or Seed Bomb the incoming Pokemon.

Cacturne makes an excellent lead. He supports the team by setting up spikes, providing Encore Support, and either taking down a problem Pokemon while going down or putting a large dent in one. Despite this, Cacturne is usually the first on the team of faint, frail as he is.

Ninetales @ Leftovers
Flash Fire
Timid (+ Def, - Atk)
EVs: 120 HP, 248 Sp. Atk, 136 Spd
~ Hypnosis
~ Energy Ball
~ Flamethrower
~ Hidden Power [Rock]

I know, a timid Ninetales on a defensive team? And what's with that weird EV distribution? Let me explain.

First, Ninetales is my fire-attack absorber. He's fast and powerful, and loves switching into Megahorns, Flamethrowers and Ice Beams. The given EVs give him 317 HP, which is enough to switch into Stealth Rock five times. 136 Speed EVs allows for a speed stat of 297, outrunning max speed Pinsir, and everything tailored to outrun that by 1 point (Pinsir caps at 295). Hypnosis is best used after switching into an Encored Pokemon, making a useless Pokemon more useless. Energy Ball hits Pokemon like Seaking, Quaqsire and Slowking who switch in, expecting to soak up a Flamethrower. Speaking of which, Flamethrower is Ninetales's main STAB attack, and is further boosted by Flash Fire, making it a feared attack. Finally, Hidden Power [Rock] rounds off the set, allowing for Ninetales to attack other Ninetales, Charizard, Typhlosion and other Flash Fire Pokemon.

While playing, I haven't used Ninetales much, so more will be added as I father experience with her; I am not yet sure how defensively sound she is.

Slowking @ Leftovers
Own Tempo
Calm (+ Sp. Def, - Atk)
EVs: 252 HP, 4 Def, 252 Sp. Def
~ Surf
~ Slack Off
~ Psychic/Calm Mind
~ Thunder Wave/Calm Mind

For the positives, Slowking is often hailed as the premier special wall of NU, and rightfully so. With 394 HP and 350 Sp. Def, and access to Calm Mind, Nasty Plot and Thunder Wave, as well as a way to reliably heal himself in the form of Slack Off, Slowking is almost as sturdy as Blissey. Speaking of the pink blob, Slowking can defeat her 1 v 1. Slowking for OU! Just a fun fact: with max HP and Sp. Def, Slowking is capable of surviving 2 Draco Meteors from SpecsMence. So you can switch in, Slack Off the damage, Slack Off again, Slack Off a third time if necessary, and then Ice Beam for the KO (assuming you're running Ice Beam over Psychic).

Own Tempo was chosen over Oblivious for the protection against random confuse attacks...Dynamicpunch, Confuse Ray, um, y'know, Psybeam...

For any wall, maximizing HP is the most important thing to do. With that in mind, 252 EVs were dumped into HP to start. I decided I wanted Slowking to wall special threats, because his stats suggest he would do so, and so I dumped another 252 EVs into Sp. Def. The remaining 4 EVs were dumped into Defense to provide a small increase to overall bulk.

Concerning his moves, Surf accounts for STAB and is useful for fainting Pokemon like Typhlosion. Slack Off checks the obligatory 'reliable recovery' that a wall like Slowking so desperately needs. For his third moveslot, I've generally found Psychic more useful, as when I'm stuck in a stall war with Miltank, the Sp. Def drop will allow for me to come out on top, as I can't waste my time Calm Minding/Nasty Plotting against her. Finally, Thunder Wave is a great way to cripple incoming switches and troublesome Pokemon.

Slowking is actually in both cores of this team. He serves as the water type in the Fire/Water/Grass triangle and forms a strong defensive core with Miltank.

And just for kicks, I'm gonna make SlowKING female. Sorry, that was bad...

Meganium @ Leftovers
Overgrow
Bold (+ Def, - Atk)
EVs: 208 HP, 252 Def, 48 Sp. Def
~ Leech Seed
~ Substitute
~ Hidden Power [Fire]
~ Energy Ball

Meganium is just a great Pokemon in general, and also as the final point to the Fire/Water/Grass combination I have great faith in. Leech Seed is a great move that steals HP from my opponent and heals Meganium with. Leech Seed is generally used against a Pokemon I know I just forced out, such as Floatzel, Mantine or Golem, all three of who fear a grass-type attack. Substitute has excellent synergy with Leech Seed and is a good move to have on a wall in general. Substitute not only scouts attacks and provides as a buffer against them, but also blocks status, eliminating the need for Aromatherapy on Meganium, as I had previously run. Leech Seed and Substitute form the dreaded SubSeed combination, which is not only extremely annoying, but incredibly difficult to take down without losing a large chunk of HP from one, if not several Pokemon at the same time. The third slot is Meganium's only way of covering grass and steel types who resist her grass STAB. Hidden Power [Fire] is a great check against SubSeed Jumpluff and SubCharge Magneton, as well as against Pinsir switch ins. Energy Ball is the strongest and most consistant option available to Meganium, essentially being the grass version of Shadow Ball, and is what I'm running at the moment.

I have debated running Safeguard/Outrage/Earthquake/Seed Bomb with an Adamant Nature and 252 Atk, 128 Def, 128 Sp. Def, but that seems a little too offensive for the nature of the team. Also, a Leech Seed/Substitute/Protect/Hidden Power [Fire] set has come to mind, but I think this current one I have is much better, as the loss of Energy Ball is somewhat painful.

208 HP EVs allow for 353 HP, which is divisible my 16 + 1, allowing for the maximum amount of Substitutes. Max Defense is obvious, need I say it? The leftover EVs are dumped into Special Defense, although I am considering seeing how much Sp. Atk I will need to ensure an OHKO on the common Pinsir spreads on the switch with HP Fire, and adjust the spread accordingly.

Meganium completes the Fire/Water/Grass defensive triangle, and I've made him more Physically Defensive than specially defense. Why? A Physically Defensive Meganium is able to switch into more attacks than a specially defensive one. For example, many Pokemon with Fighting Attacks tend to carry Earthquake or Dark Attacks. Miltank is in. I can switch to Slowking to take the incoming Close Combat, but then I have to scurry from the Earthquake that's sure to follow. However, if I switch to Meganium, instead of Slowking, I can Substitute and attack with Energy Ball.

I switched out Reflect, Light Screen and Light Clay because the lack of Recovery on Meganium was too much strain for him. He could take a few hits, and then was dead weight for the team.

Miltank @ Leftovers
Scrappy
Impish (+ Def, - Sp. Atk)
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Sp. Def
~ Milk Drink
~ Body Slam
~ Curse
~ Heal Bell

It is often said that Miltank is one of the sturdiest Pokemon in existence, and I'm not going to doubt that. How she ended up in NU is beyond me; but I'm not going to question how, I'm just going to enjoy the fact that she's here.

Milk Drink is an obvious recovery move and is exclusive to Miltank. Recovering 50% if one's HP can be extremely frustrating to the opponent. Body Slam provides reliable STAB and also have that wonderful chance to paralyze. Surprisingly, Curse is Miltank's saving grace. Usually, she can switch in on something she forces out and uses Curse on the switch. If the opponent is likely to status her, she'll use Heal Bell. If the opponent is likely to attack her, she'll use Milk Drink to see if it's safe to continue Cursing (keep in mind that after a Curse, she is slower than most Pokemon). If it's safe, continue to Curse to 6+, Milk Drinking as necessary, and sweep. I've 6-0'ed teams by doing this. Heal Bell makes Miltank a great cleric, and as she is my main wall, allows for me to keep her free of my opponents trying to KO her in uncool ways (read: toxic). There are no soundproof Pokemon on my team, so I don't have to worry about that unfortunate gimmick.

Max HP and Def ensures the maximum ability to take physical hits. Before, I was running a 252/136/120 spread, and 136 EVs in Defense wasn't enough. The extra 29 points really do like a difference, especially when you start multiplying the defense stat with Curse boosts.

I just want to say, I freaking love Miltank. Not only does she wall Pokemon, but she sweeps teams too with Scrappy Body Slam. After two curses, she is able to effectively wall Slaking's Return.

Sandslash @ Leftovers
Sand Veil
Impish (+ Def, - Sp. Atk)
EVs: 252 HP, 4 Atk, 252 Def
~ Stealth Rock
~ Rapid Spin
~ Earthquake
~ Stone Edge

Sandslash is another 'utility' Pokemon that performs several roles on the team. First, he provides as a spinner with Rapid Spin. Sandslash is a great choice for this role, as not only does his typing have great synergy with the team, but he also resists Stealth Rock. Speaking of which, with Stealth Rock, Sandslash is able to set up the entry hazard himself, which is a great asset to any team. The final two moves are somewhat filler, but they serve their purposes. Earthquake is perhaps the most reliable STAB attack in the game, with 100 Base Power and perfect accuracy. Ground is a much-needed attacking type on this team, and Sandslash provides it. Rock is an attack type that compliments Ground extremely well, and thus the most unreliable move in the game, Stone Edge, found its way onto this set. Stone Edge's main purpose it to hit Flying and Bug Pokemon that think they can switch in and absorb an Earthquake, such as Mantine, Dodrio and Pinsir.

Max HP and max Def provide for the greatest possible physical walling abilities. Additionally, Sandslash is able to survive a Raichu's +2 Grass Knot with about 10% left and OHKO with Earthquake.

Sandslash doesn't seem to pull his weight on the team. Due to his Ground typing, he rarely finds an opportunity to switch in and stay in for two turns to Rapid Spin and set up Stealth Rock, and let's forget about attacking at the moment. Except for the above scenario with Raichu, I've had little luck with Sandslash. He couldn't even KO a Bastiodon with Earthquake, although I suspect this was because of the lack of investment in attack, but nonetheless, I digress.

I do not yet know of an "NU Threat List" but I intend on making one and being able to entirely counter it. Until then, suggestions?

Hey there!

I love NU and NU team building (as well as Nu defensive play), so I'll give this one a shot!

For a Nidoqueen replacement, I suggest Sandslash. I think Spin support will help you out a lot with this team, because many of your Pokemon are affected by Spikes and 2 of your main defensive Pokemon are weak to Stealth Rock. Sandslash is a very capable Rapid Spin user in NU and can also set up Stealth Rock reliably. The only ghost you will struggle to Spin against is Dusclops but Dusky is largely a free switch for Flareon, so I wouldnt worry too much about that. Sandslash also had extremely similar typing as Nidoqueen, so using is should not be too different for you. Here is the set I had in mind:

Sandslash @ Leftovers
Impish / Sand Veil
252 HP / 4 Attack / 252 Def
-Earthquake
-Stealth Rock
-Rapid Spin
-Stone Edge

Sandslash is a nice physical tank to have, able to take lots of hits and dish them right back at the opponent. As I said before, SR + Rapid Spin will help your team a lot. Earthquake is a nice move, receiving STAB and hitting lots of things neutrally. Stone Edge has great coverage with Earthquake, and hits stuff that you need to counter such as Dodrio very hard. It can also receive Wishes from Flareon on Physical attack to keep it in good health.

Meganium - A good pick to have on your team, pseudo passing screens all around to help tank hard hits. However, with Aromatherapy, you are overloading Meganium, as well as leaving yourself open to stuff like SunSeed Jumpluff and SubCharge Magneton, who both threaten a quick sweep against your team. To be able to deal with them, and more threats, I think the moveset for Meganium should be Energy Ball / HP Fire / Reflect / Light Screen. This allows Meganium to counter what she needs to counter while still setting up your screen and supporting the team. You may be thinking, "No! I need Aromatherapy support!" which brings me to...

Miltank - This should be your cleric in my opinion. Miltank is a fantastic sweeper to have on a Stall team because it can set up, wall stuff silly, and still support the team. To accomplish this, I think the moveset should be Curse / Milk Drink / Body Slam / Heal Bell. This way you retain Cleric support while having a great wall and potential sweeper. Of course, with this moveset, you will need the Scrappy ability.

Mantine - There is a very similar Water type in NU that is more reliable at taking on the Fire types that Flareon cannot, Slowking. I recommend Slowking for a few reasons. The first is that it is not Stealth Rock weak. This is huge in walling some threats because it will not take 25% switching in if Stealth Rock is up, allowing it to stay in and wall. Secondly, the only 2x weakness to Electric attacks is huge in stopping stuff like DD ThunderPunch Charizard, who poses a huge threat at the moment. You retain your Fighting resistance, so Slowking can still be a nice switch in to Medicham and whatnot. The third reason is reliable recovery. While you have Wish support, being able to heal on the spot is important (outside of Aqua Ring). Here is the set I had in mind:

Slowking @ Leftovers
Bold / Own Tempo
252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Sp. Def.
-Surf
-Psychic
-Slack Off
-Thunder Wave / Calm Mind

This Slowking is an excellent Mixed Wall that can either support the team with TWave or go for a sweep if the time is right with Calm Mind. I suggest Thunder Wave so you have a bit of an easier time against Skuntank, but if you find Calm Mind more successful, go for it!

Finally, your lead. Raticate does not lead off your defensive team very well, so I think a new lead is needed. I am going to suggest an offensive Pokemon; however, it runs an excellent support set with a little prediction. Cacturne is the Pokemon I'm thinking of. Cacturne, with Encore, finds many opportunities to set up Spikes throughout the match. Encore also forces switches, making your opponent take even more entry hazard damage. Other than supporting defensively, Cacturne is much like Sandslash, a support team member than can lay the hurt down. STAB Sucker Punch and Seeb Bomb are nothing laugh at off Cacturne's huge Attack stat. This gives you a sort of "revenge killer," for problematic threats such as Manectric should you come across them. Be wary though, this set is a tad difficult to use and requires a bit of bluffing / prediction to work. I am confident that once you use it for a little bit you will become comfortable with the set and how well it can work, absolutely shutting down many set up attempts while setting up itself. Here is the set:

Cacturne @ Leftovers
Adamant / Sand Veil
252 Attack / 4 Defense / 252 Speed
-Spikes
-Encore
-Sucker Punch
-Seed Bomb

That's all I have, just plan on killing off opposing spinners early because working a Ghost in here is difficult, but once their spinner is down, your team is going to be tough to beat! Good Luck with your team!

Hey there yourself!

Very, very helpful Friar!

What I had done it I replaced most of the team save Meganium and Miltank. The new team consisted on Venomoth/Entei/Slowking/Meganium/Miltank/Kangaskhan. Venomoth had Choice Specs and Toxic Spikes to bluff being a spiker, Kangaskhan for added Wish support since I cut Flareon for the more defensive Entei. But I think your version is much more balanced.

Dusknoir is OU, so do you mean Dusclops? I think Dusclops would be a pretty free switch to Miltank as well, seeing as she walls his main STAB and can hit with Body Slam.

I think I will run Thunder Wave on Slowking, as Thunder Wave will let Cacturne Encore more easily should he switch into a resisted attack on something that is paralyzed. I really like Cacturne and Sandslash, as half the teams I've gone up against have been Sandstorm teams. A good portion are Rain Dance teams, as Electrode is a very common lead in NU. Caturne will still be able to beat Electrode, and Sucker Punch will OHKO. So Seed Bomb to break the Sash when it Rain Dances, and then Sucker Punch, or Encore and Seed Bomb, or what?

I don't think this is a stall team, so much, or I don't want it to me. I needed some offense, and I think you provided that for me.

My one problem is Flareon. I really don't like the fact that it's weak to Stealth Rock and I use it as my wish passer. But I think this is really solid.

Well, it looks like an okay team, but one thing i notice is your teams weakness to Life Orb Pinsir, which I see a lot in NU. I do not mean Life Orb+Swords Dance, I mean Life Orb+4 attacks. It aboslutely rips through your team because you have no one that can outspeed it. Here are some calcs from a Jolly, Max Atk Pinsir Vs the members of your team:

Earthquake Vs. Flareon (Calm Max HP, Max Def): 89.8-105.3% (KO's with SR)
Stone Edge Vs. Mantine (Calm Max HP, Min Def): 111-131.1%
X-Scissor Vs. Meganium (Bold Min HP, Max Def): 66.7-78.5% (Easy 2HKO and you can't do much back)
Close Combat Vs. Miltank (Impish Max HP, 132 Def) 64.9-76.1% (Easy 2HKO and you can't do to much back; 2HKO's even if you curse after his Close Combat +1{43.4-51%})
Earthquake Vs. Nidoqueen (Max HP, Max Def) 57-67.1% (Easy 2HKO)

Pinsir is a menace is NU with it's great speed (For NU standards) and great attack. Your team is okay, but without a pokemon that can take down certain threats hurts your team deeply. That's why I would recommend swapping out Flareon for Ninetales:
Ninetales@ Life Orb/Leftovers (whichever one you think is better)
Ability: Flash Fire
EV's: 252 Sp.A, 6 Sp.D, 252 Speed
Nature: Timid
Moveset:
~Nasty Plot
~Flamethrower/Fire Blast
~Energy Ball
~Hidden Power Rock/Substitute/Dark Pulse
Flamethrower gives you STAB and a good attack, but you could always run fire blast over it if you want more power. Energy Ball hit's grass's and rocks hard for SE damage. If you don't like being walled by certain fire types, you could always run Hidden Power Rock over substitute to hit them for SE damage and get a good surprise kill. HP rock give Ninetales perfect coverage in NU (I think). Dark Pulse could be used for taking on the Special defensive psychics, but I'd probably stick with HP rock. I'd probably replace Flareon, Ninetales can absorb Willo's and boost it's Fire attacks but you give up the advent of a wish passer. I also agree with the guy above that you should change your lead because unfortunately that raticate lead depends on a lot to happen and Cacturne's Spikes can be very helpful, as well as switching Mantine out for slowking because it restore it's health and support the team with paralysis support. Sandslash is a good replacement to Nidoqueen as well.
I hope this helps!

Ninetales is a lot bulkier than I figured, but my only problem with her is I lose Wish support.

I think running an EV Spread of 56 HP, 208 Sp. Atk, 244 Spd is better. It allows for more overall bulk and hits 296 Spd...Pinsor caps at 295.

Instead of Nasty Plot, I think I'd be better served running either Calm Mind of Hypnosis, given the nature of the team.

Hi. Interesting team you have there! I'm not too good at team making with NU, but your team seems solid. Since you're going to be switching Nidoqueen to Venomoth, I suggest modifying your Miltank some.

Miltank@Leftovers
Ability: Scrappy
Nature: Impish
Moves:
~Body Slam
~Milk Drink
~Heal Bell
~Stealth Rock
EVs: 252 Hp/ 252 Def/ 4 SpDef

This is the set I run for my UU/NU team. She's incredibly useful as my lead, and always serves me well. You'll lose out on SpDef and the resistance to Fire/Ice, but you can run Thick Fat if you don't plan on using this team above NU(I run Scrappy cuz I play in OU). I suggest Def EVs instead of SpDef, as you seem to have some Specially defensive pokemon already, and the only attacks that are super effective against Miltank(fighting) is physical. Stealth Rock is one turn set-up, and helps with your lack of Nidoqueen to throw 'em out. Heal Bell is just great to have, especially on Miltank. Last thing a tank wants to to eat a Toxic. So far I've found that Body Slam is really all you need for damage, as the Rocks who resist your attacks will fear Mantine and Meganium, and Flareon will eat Steels(Meganium as well, if you choose to run EQ on it over Aromatherapy). Miltank is a great Poke, and I'm glad to see her being appreciated! Hope my set works for ya.

I actually switched out Nidoqueen for Sandslash, but that's a pretty good set. And you do have a really good point--I haven't seen many ghosts in NU, and unless Haunter and Dusclops get ok'ed I'm not likely to, so maybe Thick Fat over Scrappy would work better.

I've been finding more and more and Curse on Miltank is a much have. People underestimate her bulk, and when I curse and they find their Life Orb Crunches only do about 16%, I can contine to Curse up to 6+Atk 6+Def 6-Spd and sweep their team. Against Relicanth, a 6+ Body Slam does about 36%, if memory serves me. Meanwhile, a Cb'd head Smash does a pitiful 10%.

"Timid (+ Def, - Atk)"? I'm pretty sure timid is +Spe, - Atk. Or did you want a bold nature which is +Def, Atk

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
I don't know if NU has a threat list, but here are the top 30 used on the CAP NU server as of January 2010:

Skuntank
Slowking
Sandslash
Magmortar
Hitmonchan
Medicham
Magneton
Haunter
Miltank
Gligar
Persian
Quagsire
Espeon
Primeape
Pinsir
Sharpedo
Floatzel
Charizard
Vileplume
Manectric
Kangaskhan
Relicanth
Mantine
Dusclops
Venomoth
Tauros
Linoone (this one is a biggy, as +6 after BD wipes out a surprisingly large amount of the metagame)
Golem
Regice
Grumpig

also a few other situations you need to be aware of in NU:

Stallrein (and hail in general. It dominated UU pre Cresselia for a reason.)
Shuckle
Stockpilers (Cradily, Swalot, Muk)
Shedinja
Jumpluff
Scarf Typhlosion lead
Magmortar
Sunny day teams (I saw another RMT that was a very good sunny day team. You might want to take a look at it.)

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
For a defensive team trying to take advantage of entry hazards, you are missing a Spin blocker. The best spin blocker in NU would Dusclops, in my opinion, and you could switch him out for either Meganium or Ninetales:

Dusclops @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP/252 SpD/4 Def (You could probably think of a better EV spread than mine)
Nature: Careful
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Will-O-Wisp
-Night Shade

This set works like an NU Giratina, if you like. Dusclops has no reliable recovery (Pain Spilt is meh), so a RestTalk set seems nice. Will-O-Wisp and Night Shade go pretty well together, IMO, because most normal types in NU are Physically based (Apart from Porygon2, Chatot and Exploud, the rest are pretty much all physical), and crippling them with WoW is awesome.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)