NU: raise your klang! -(ಠvಠ)╯

hi! none of you may know me at all. I'm generally a ou player that, well… plays ou. however, i decided to make a NU team yesterday and decided that i love NU after that. I'm gonna present you a team i have managed to ladder a bit with it (#67) and i hope some of you will take time to rate it, thanks!

team building:

well, klank has a very good typing with mono steel+he makes good use of eviolite. this was the one i wanted to test, so i guess it seems logical that he is here

read this: i originally had mawile here. she was doing a well job, but was way to weak to status and substitutes. thats why I switched to klang. still looking for replacements for this one

well, he's not the hardest hitter though, so i added some hazard setters. it sakks how scolipede got moved up to BL3, so i guess garbo is only option o3o. golurk provides very good synergy with klang and it has SR

ground was scary, water too. RD ludicolo works very good late game and provides the synergy needed to complete my little hazard "core"

what i noticed was how well this team could do with all hazards, but one single missclick could make a 6-0 to my opponent. lickilicky was added to fix that. it is here for healing and phaze purposes only. but could actually do surprisingly well alone too

a grass counter was very needed as the main reasons for this team losing was grass types with good bulk and something to really stall like leech seed or sleep powder. notably tangela and some others i don't remember straight on. charizard was the perfect addition to this team with both 1/4 resistant to grass and was able to KO most grass types with flamethrower or air slash

now, lets take a deeper look at this team:

not a klang (Klang) @ Eviolite

Ability: Clear body
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Shift Gear
- Gear Grind
- Wild Charge

well, my strategy here is to have all hazards up, then i switch in on a pokemon with useless STABS on klang. he switches out and i
1. use shift gear or
2. use thunder wave

its hard to sweep with klang, but really useful if i manage to. I'm mainly dead if theres someone i can't OHKO. ludicolo provides some good offensive synergy though, so he can usually pull of a sweep if klang goes down.

possible changes: you decide. I'm using klang and enjoys it, but i have heard tons of people saying its 100% useless. i might be going back to mawile, replacing it with a completely different poké or keeping it. if you think klang is really terrible, then say it and tell me replacements

LA: 623-TM76_0.1 (Golurk) @ Leftovers

Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dynamic Punch
- Earthquake
- Shadow Punch

golurk has one of the most important roles on this team. he sets up hazards and has really good synergy with many of the other team members. i wish i could use ice punch or stone edge, but every move is important on this set i'm usually leading with golurk, but garbodor can be a useful lead sometimes too. dynamic punch is the thing of this set. 100 base power and causes confusion. I use dynamic punch if i can predict a switch or use stealth rock to complete set up.

possible changes: maybe regirock to take care of kanghaskan, but I'm probably keeping this one due to the great synergy it makes with the other teamates

grandpa (garbodor) @ Sitrus berry/ focus sash

ability: Weak armor
EVs: 252 spe / 252 atk/ 4 hp
Jolly nature
- Spikes
- Seed Bomb
- Gunk shot
- Rock Blast

people keeps saying garbodor is terrible. ok, but i enjoy using it as scoli got banned and this is almost only opinion now besides from roselia, and she can't learn spikes with sleep powder :I. i used to run a choice scarf on this set, but i didnt like how it always became a set-up bait. weak armor and sash is kinda gimmicky, but theres not many else options for fast garbodor and yes, fast garbodor is needed. i use spike and dies, unless i can predict someone's going to set up. if i does, i switch or use a move i know is going to OHKO

possible changes: if it ends with klang getting replaced, then garbo is useless. sawk or gurrdurr could be good candidates for replacement, providing some useful synergy and is (usually) able to take down biggest threat to this team: kangashkan

phat humanoid (Lickilicky) (F) @ Leftovers

Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Body Slam

then its lickilicky, the cleric, my fav pokemon. she has one role: phazing away set-up'ers and healing. her bulk allows her to switch in on almost every pokemon in NU, using wish/heal bell and switch out. body slam is sometimes able to spread paralyze on le'opponent which can be extremely useful sometimes as lick has use of some speed too.

possible changes: altough i enjoyed using miltank, lickilicky will probably stay unless someone suggest audino :P

mexican duck (Ludicolo) @ Life Orb

Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Giga Drain
- Surf
- Rain Dance

RRRRRIDA! ludicolo ends up being the sweeper 60% of the time. it has good typing and useful coverage moves. i use rain dance if I'm slower than opponent and sure I'm going to OHKO if i gets to attack, or i use move of choice if i know I'm faster, but sure opponent will OHKO me if i use rain dance. offensive ludi works wonders with rain dance and I'm probably not going to replace this one.

possible changes: no idea

blastoise (Charizard) @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Modest Nature
- Air Slash
- Flamethrower
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]

i needed a grass and fire counter. simple as it is. charizard and ludi is usually the two that goes offensive providing a sturdy offensive core only fearing rocks types which is usually taken down with go lurk

i will find better replays, but this is everything for now:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen5nu-89742481
______
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen5nu-89736415
_____
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen5nu-90003645

i did really misplayed the last one ^ but char saved my life :D

Last edited:
So yeah, I've barely played the post-JynxPede meta but:

This team is a decent concept but some of the sets themselves are a little inefficient. As a rule of thumb, you shouldn't deviate from the Smogon-approved sets unless you are looking to lure a specific threat or threats. So, for example Thunder Wave on Klang is a fairly wasted moveslot when you will outspeed everything after a couple of boosts anyway (btw, I'd most certainly give it enough speed to outrun Charizard after 1 SG and ScarfZard over two). Similarly, I feel like offesnive Garbodor can be a thing now Scolipede is gone, but Focus Sash is really not a great item for it since, as you admitted yourself, Golurk is normally your lead. By the time Garbodor comes in your opponent will probably have got hazards up and then your item is wasted. Cacturne is more naturally suited to the role of offensive Spiker, although in my experience it is highly prediction-reliant.

You lack much in the way of a revenge-killer, since your Scarfer can't switch in too many times, and you have no priority attacks. Can't think of a good replacement at the moment. I'll post more later, but I really have to go now. Inb4 Brawlfest has posted "this is a solid-looking team, but it has a big weakness to [X]", and then replaced four out of six team members.

noobcubed ninja'd me so hard..Can't believe it. Either way, I'm going to say exactly what Noobcubed said I will say. This is an extremely solid team. Spikes stacking is incredibly useful in today's metagame, and Scarfzard + Ludicolo make for very nice cleaners besides it. That being said, because of the way your team is made, it is incredibly weak to Shell Smash Carracosta and other Quick Frail Sweepers, and a pokemon like Choice Banded Sawk or Golurk can easily OHKO your entire team as long as it predicts correctly. Another huge threat is Zangoose + Swellow, both of which essentially can outspeed and OHKO the majority of your team, with only zard to possibly revenge kill, but after two switch ins even that isn't possible. The fact is, while the concept of this team is good, a lot of the sets are pretty sub-par.

The first thing I would do is to change your Garbodor to the standard Defensive Garbodor. Your team lacks any fighting resist outside of Charizard (Doesn't count because of how frail it is), and Golurk, who after a simple prediction are wrecked. Afterwards, the rest of your team is easily 6-0'd. Because of this, a Defensive Garbodor is much more viable, as it racks serious damage with it's aftermath and pain split, and sets up spikes much more reliably for a team like this. With spikes going up more reliably, the threats I mentioned earlier can only come in fewer times. Rock Blast is also pretty much a necessity, as it helps you beat ninjask, who can reliably pass to sweepers against your current team atm.

The next thing I would do is to change your Klang to the standard Resttalk Klang. Your team lacks a solid sleep absorber, and Klang can act as that. On top of this, this type of klang has much better synergy with the rest of your team, as bulky offense needs mixed defensive pivots, and Klang can act as one, rather than a complete wall. It also takes Skuntank's hits much easier, who previously was a massive threat to your team, and could barely be stopped between a strong Sucker Punch and a solid pursuit. Resttalk Klang also still keeps your "Sweeper" to aid you in late game, but stays around much longer than your previous set did because of recovery.

The on replacement I will make is All Out Attacker Kangaskhan over Lickilicky. Simply put, your team loses far too much momentum from Lickilicky, and you need something to maintain offensive presence without getting set up on. As Noobcubed pointed out, you have a serious lack of revenge killers, as your only one is ScarfZard, who can only switch into rocks 2x, and thus is pretty unreliable. This team on top of that, has a distinct lack of priority, making it hard to hit quicker scarfers as well. For those reasons, a double priority powerhouse can really help you break through threats you originally struggled with.

Small Changes:
  • You should run at least 176 Speed on golurk, which let you outspeed Max Speed Adamant Golem, and get off a Dynamic Punch, which is pretty much the benchmark for most Leads in general.
  • Running Surf + Timid on Ludicolo is inefficient, as you lack any significant power. If you are afraid of Hydro Pump missing, you can run Modest + Surf, or if you need to Timid to beat other Ludicolo then I suggest running Timid + Hydro Pump
Overall you got some pretty cool stuff!

Suggested Sets:

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 240 Def / 252 HP / 16 Spd
- Spikes
- Toxic / Toxic Spikes
- Pain Split
- Rock Blast / Gunk Shot

Klang @ Eviolite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 240 HP / 136 Def / 40 SDef / 92 Spd
Impish Nature
- Shift Gear
- Gear Grind
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

Kangaskhan (F) @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

noobcubed ninja'd me so hard..Can't believe it. Either way, I'm going to say exactly what Noobcubed said I will say. This is an extremely solid team. Spikes stacking is incredibly useful in today's metagame, and Scarfzard + Ludicolo make for very nice cleaners besides it. That being said, because of the way your team is made, it is incredibly weak to Shell Smash Carracosta and other Quick Frail Sweepers, and a pokemon like Choice Banded Sawk or Golurk can easily OHKO your entire team as long as it predicts correctly. Another huge threat is Zangoose + Swellow, both of which essentially can outspeed and OHKO the majority of your team, with only zard to possibly revenge kill, but after two switch ins even that isn't possible. The fact is, while the concept of this team is good, a lot of the sets are pretty sub-par.

The first thing I would do is to change your Garbodor to the standard Defensive Garbodor. Your team lacks any fighting resist outside of Charizard (Doesn't count because of how frail it is), and Golurk, who after a simple prediction are wrecked. Afterwards, the rest of your team is easily 6-0'd. Because of this, a Defensive Garbodor is much more viable, as it racks serious damage with it's aftermath and pain split, and sets up spikes much more reliably for a team like this. With spikes going up more reliably, the threats I mentioned earlier can only come in fewer times. Rock Blast is also pretty much a necessity, as it helps you beat ninjask, who can reliably pass to sweepers against your current team atm.

The next thing I would do is to change your Klang to the standard Resttalk Klang. Your team lacks a solid sleep absorber, and Klang can act as that. On top of this, this type of klang has much better synergy with the rest of your team, as bulky offense needs mixed defensive pivots, and Klang can act as one, rather than a complete wall. It also takes Skuntank's hits much easier, who previously was a massive threat to your team, and could barely be stopped between a strong Sucker Punch and a solid pursuit. Resttalk Klang also still keeps your "Sweeper" to aid you in late game, but stays around much longer than your previous set did because of recovery.

The on replacement I will make is All Out Attacker Kangaskhan over Lickilicky. Simply put, your team loses far too much momentum from Lickilicky, and you need something to maintain offensive presence without getting set up on. As Noobcubed pointed out, you have a serious lack of revenge killers, as your only one is ScarfZard, who can only switch into rocks 2x, and thus is pretty unreliable. This team on top of that, has a distinct lack of priority, making it hard to hit quicker scarfers as well. For those reasons, a double priority powerhouse can really help you break through threats you originally struggled with.

Small Changes:
  • You should run at least 176 Speed on golurk, which let you outspeed Max Speed Adamant Golem, and get off a Dynamic Punch, which is pretty much the benchmark for most Leads in general.
  • Running Surf + Timid on Ludicolo is inefficient, as you lack any significant power. If you are afraid of Hydro Pump missing, you can run Modest + Surf, or if you need to Timid to beat other Ludicolo then I suggest running Timid + Hydro Pump
Overall you got some pretty cool stuff!

Suggested Sets:

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 240 Def / 252 HP / 16 Spd
- Spikes
- Toxic / Toxic Spikes
- Pain Split
- Rock Blast / Gunk Shot

Klang @ Eviolite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 240 HP / 136 Def / 40 SDef / 92 Spd
Impish Nature
- Shift Gear
- Gear Grind
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

Kangaskhan (F) @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

i must say, thanks! thanks! for your rate and i really appreciate it. the reason i was using timid over modest was mainly to outspeed ludi in giga drain war, but it wasn't able to hit hard enough, so I'm going back to standard modest. the two pokemons i have struggled with is mainly kanghaskan and drifblim. kanghaskan fixes both of them! :D but i dint replaced it as i wanted to keep klang, but it > licki seems like a good idea, so I'm trying it. drain punch on kanghaskan to counter other kangashkans… viable? :D

i must say, thanks! thanks! for your rate and i really appreciate it. the reason i was using timid over modest was mainly to outspeed ludi in giga drain war, but it wasn't able to hit hard enough, so I'm going back to standard modest. the two pokemons i have struggled with is mainly kanghaskan and drifblim. kanghaskan fixes both of them! :D but i dint replaced it as i wanted to keep klang, but it > licki seems like a good idea, so I'm trying it. drain punch on kanghaskan to counter other kangashkans… viable? :D
Drain Punch w/ LO over EQ is possible. In general EQ is preferrable since Double Edge OHKO's other kanga lol.

Right, so, continuing:

One idea has popped into my head actually - you could get round your Kangaskhan issue by running Combusken over Charizard. Combusken is notable for being a set-up sweeper that doesn't give two shits about Khan - Protect renders Fake Out useless, Sucker Punch won't do much, and it mauls it with Fighting STAB. Obviously you'd still be looking for a revenge killer, but that can probably replace Lickilicky. Scarf Gardevoir might be nice in that role, since Memento could be really useful late-game to give Ludicolo the turn it needs to set up and sweep.

Last edited:
Right, so, continuing:

One idea has popped into my head actually - you could get round your Kangaskhan issue by running Combusken over Charizard. Combusken is notable for being a set-up sweeper that doesn't give two shits about Khan - Protect renders Fake Out useless, Sucker Punch won't do much, and it mauls it with Fighting STAB. Obviously you'd still be looking for a revenge killer, but that can probably replace Lickilicky. Scarf Gardevoir might be nice in that role, since Memento could be really useful late-game to give Ludicolo the turn it needs to set up and sweep.
first i was like meh… crappy stats, but i tried it and must say it worked wonder! I'm currently switching between char and combusken. combusken is an extremely good kangashkan counter, but charizards ground resist is extremely useful, so I'm switching between these two. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)