NU stall :)

Well hello everyone! This is Ryuzaki San, previously Grimsly, from Pokemon Showdown, and here I have to offer a new-found stall team I came across one day. I noticed in the NU tier, a plethora of Pokemon with the 'regenerator' ability. Knowing this ability works wonders with stall attributed Pokemon, I decided to base a stall game around it working heavily with; toxic, both regenerator and non-regenerator Pokemon, and attempting to create an extremely effective team synergy, capable of shutting down even hyper-offensive team compositions. Therefore, noticing status ailments themselves are a weakness to a stall team (most notably toxic), a 'Heal Bell' user was a must, and so Audino was born!
After determining the foundation of this team, taking careful not of the 'regenerator' ability, I delved into finding support for a specially defensive (Chansey reminiscent) Audino, and out emerged Alomamola! Already a highly feared and well respected physical wall in NU coupled with regenerator, it was a must, fitting the part of Audino's partner perfectly.

Having what I deemed a solid core, I proceeded to look into more of these 'regenerator' Pokemon. Through previous experience with both Amoonguss and Tangela, both displaying the regenerator ability, I have to say, it was a tough decision as to who to add to this team. Despite the many pros and cons of each, I went for Amoonguss, supplying various tricks to further aid my team.

After identifying a fairly strong regenerator core to this team, I noticed the need to include a Pokemon with strong attacking prowess able to cover and defeat a vast variety and majority of NU Pokemon. Don't tell me to go with Absol instead, it already failed in this job haha, so I found a 'No-Guard' (my favourite ability coupled with Dynamicpawnch!) complimenting Pokemon, that being Golurk!
After this notable inclusion to my team, I found ice type attacks are an issue, as well as opposing Pokemon who tend to 'Heal Bell' their own team out of trouble. This is where the Umbreon of NU, Glaceon makes its stand! With Altaria being the main 'Heal Bell' user concerning my team at the moment, Glaceon works rather well in accomplishing one of its tasks on my team.
Last and most certainly not least I found was the need for the removal and addition of entry hazards to this team. So it wasn't long before the bulkiest of those found its way onto my team, demonstrating it to can aid, with the addition of wish support, strong hazard removal whilst applying pressure of its own, and finally, I give you Torkoal :)

So lets have a more detailed look at this team shall we? Although a quick question most of you will pose.
>What about rest Pokemon?
From my experience, there are generally only 1-2 Pokemon on a team possessing the move 'rest', one generally is eliminated throughout the course of the game while the battle more than often dwindles down to the rest user against at least 2 of my regenerator Pokemon. All I proceed to do is constantly switch between both Regenerator Pokemon until the opponent forfeits.
>And this isn't a question, but do expect battles from this team to go for approximately 60 turns a game, after that stage, your opponent may want to 'rage quit' (being at an all time high, or simply forfeiting) obviously knowing they've been beat.

Audino @Leftovers

Trait: Regenerator
EV's: 252HP/252SPD/4DFF
Nature: Careful
-Toxic
-Protect
-Heal Bell
-Wish
Audino works as the core remover of status ailments to this team set-up, therefore it is imperative that it stay alive, which fortunately isn't as hard as it may seem. This specially defensive wall must only be wary of the NU fighting type Pokemon, such as Sawk, Throh and Gurdurr. The lack of Return on Audino makes those wielding substitute an issue, however as I've encountered in NU, its nothing Audino's team members can't deal with. Just ensure through consistently switching between all Regenerator Pokemon is performed throughout the battle, especially when toxic stalling.

Alomamola @Leftovers

EV's: 252HP/252DFF/4SPD
Nature: Impish
-Toxic
-Waterfall
-Protect
-Wish
Alomamola works considerably well paired with both Audino and Amoonguss in providing a variety of resists and walling to various orientated attackers. Waterfall acts as an ability to break through any substitutes that happen to occur, should it fail, as in Audino or Amoonguss's situations resort to any Pokemon that can hit hard, especially Golurk, Glaceon and even Torkoal if the coverage fits. Otherwise Alomamola performs it physically defensive toxic stalling role perfectly.

Amoonguss @Black Sludge

EV's: 252HP/252DFF/4SPA
Nature: Bold
-Spore
-Giga Drain
-Clear Smog
-Hidden Power (rock)
The most notable Regenerator user on this team, with the ability to hinder the opponent in setting up pesky substitutes. Apart from that, spore obviously allows me to eliminate and prevent a specific threat from damaging this team too much, most notably, I'll say again, Bulk Up Gurdurr's! Of course they tend to carry Ice Punch, so careful switching between Amoonguss/Alomamola/Golurk is necessary in order to defeat such opponents.

Golurk @Leftovers

Trait: No Guard
EV's: 176HP/168ATK/164Speed
Nature: Adamant
-Earthquake
-Dynamicpunch
-Ice Punch
-Shadow Punch
The main and probably only reliable attacking force on this team. Ensure that Golurk does not suffer heavy damage, and picks off what you deem most threatening to this teams ability to toxic stall everything else the opponent has with no problems. Golurk also benefits from the 3 wish users on the team, allowing him to recover any damage taken during the course of battle. He is the perfect Pokemon to switch into against all Regi's (except ice) which can be OHKO'ed only after SR damage and about 10% more thereafter, in which 1 Dynamicpunch will KO. Golurk is essential to this team and manages to provide needed coverage against threats to the regenerator core.

Glaceon @Leftovers

Trait: Ice Body
EV's: 252HP/252SPD/4DFF
-Wish
-Toxic
-Protect
-Ice Beam
Glaceon again is necessary to defeat Heal Bell Alatria's, since Heal Bell Miltank's should be taken care of by Golurk. Of course, once out of the way, Glaceon can then proceed to toxic opponents and repeat the entire process the rest of my team manages to complete.

Torkoal @Leftovers

Trait: White Smoke
EV's: 248HP/252DFF/8SPD
-Toxic
-Stealth Rock
-Lava Plume
-Rapid Spin
Torkoal has proved to be an excellent choice in an addition to this team. Spin away hazards as they appear, and toxic spikes are not an issue due to Amoonguss being able to absorb them. You may issue your own stealth rocks, however sometimes during battle I don't even bother putting them up, unless my opponent has Articuno, otherwise toxic seems to do enough damage as it is.

So that's pretty much my team in a nutshell! Please comment respectfully and in good manner, any constructive feedback is welcome and I am open to criticism :) thank you for reading my first 'Rate my Team'!

Regenerator stall works well, but I do not think you are using it to its full effectiveness. As of now, your team is very weak to most bulky Substitute attackers, such as SubBU Braviary and Articuno. Braviary in general is annoying for you especially if Alomomola is weakened a little bit. Since your main way of dealing damage is Toxic, bulky Poison-types can set up on all of you, most notably Garbodor. Torkoal is easy to take out of commission once a few Spikes and Stealth Rock are set up because it has no recovery. Wish helps to an extent, but not enough. You also have to rely on Audino for checking most special attackers, which gives it that much more of a chance of dying to an untimely crit and then getting mauled by most special sweepers. Another thing that is extremely problematic for your team is Duosion and Musharna, although most NU stall teams in general struggle with those two. In addition to those threats, your team also lacks some kind of win condition; in any given match you will just be responding to threats rather than trying to win at some point, which is fundamentally flawed.

Now I am about to recommend quite a few changes. Do not fret, though: your team is good so far, as is the concept, but I think with these improvements it will be a lot better.

I do not think Glaceon is a particularly good wall; the bulk is there, but the typing and utility is not. It is not atrocious, but I feel as if there are better options to run in that slot. Golurk and Torkoal also feel out of place.

Here are the three Pokemon I recommend using over Golurk:

• Musharna with 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe, Leftovers, Bold nature, and the moves Calm Mind / Moonlight / Psychic / Signal Beam
  • Regirock with 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def, Leftovers, Impish nature, and the moves Stealth Rock / Curse / Stone Edge / Drain Punch
  • Regice with 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD, Leftovers, Calm nature, and the moves Ice Beam / Thunderbolt / Psych Up / Frost Breath

Now before I explain how these Pokemon would improve this team, let me clarify why that unorthodox Regice set would likely be the optimal Regice set on your team. You know how I talked about how annoying Duosion and Musharna are? Psych Up + Frost Breath allows Regice to get right through them without using something that does not fit your team very well like Skuntank. Pretty nifty, huh? Just make sure not to use Psych Up so early; wait until Duosion/Musharna are at +3 Special Attack, then use it. You beat or force out Duosion/Musharna, and you will potentially win the game! Losing RestTalk is annoying, but you have two wishpassers to compensate for that. 252 Special Attack EVs are used to always break Rotom-Frost's Substitutes.

With the changes to this team, you get the following things:
  • Less dependency on stalling Pokemon out with your Regenerator core
  • Two win conditions in Calm Mind Musharna and Curse Regirock
  • A reliable SubBU Braviary check (Regirock)
  • Another solid answer to a myriad of special attackers such as Samurott and Electabuzz (Regice)
  • A solid answer to hail sweepers (Regice)
  • A Gurdurr counter, so you do not have to predict around it (Musharna)
  • Better overall physical walling from Musharna + Regirock
  • More reliable Stealth Rock setter (Regirock)
  • Better answer to certain Poison-types, such as Amoonguss and Weezing.

The biggest thing you lose from these changes are a Rapid Spin user, and that unfortunately makes you more weak to Garbodor, but sometimes you just have to deal with dropping the ability to beat certain threats better for others. The changes overall are in my opinion worth it.

I also have a few minor suggestions:

I recommend Scald > Waterfall on Alomomola. Alomomola is already pretty weak, so the extra damage from Waterfall will not be very useful. Scald allows you to kill certain Pokemon much more efficiently thanks to the damage from burn as well as prevent you from being totally Amoonguss bait. Stuff like Regirock, which will be the main target of Alomomola's Water-type attacks, generally take more damage from Scald anyways.

Also, I suggest using Return > Toxic on Audino. There are many Substitute users in NU, and being pure set up bait for them is very crippling.

Finally, I think Toxic > Clear Smog would be a choice worth looking at. Amoonguss generally does pretty poorly against most set up sweepers, but pretty much everything else it does great against! Toxic is great in tandem with Regenerator stall, but you cannot just throw it on Pokemon randomly. Amoonguss, however, could use it pretty well. You could even use Hidden Power Ground > Rock to hit Poison-types like Garbodor harder as well as Emboar.

Good luck with your team! Regenerator stall is pretty unexplored, which is surprising because it sounds like something everyone would at least be trying out. Sorry about all of the suggestions, but I hope I helped! =]

I have to say thank you very much! To be perfectly honest I was expecting the first comment to be something along the lines of 'toxic stalling with regenerator, how cheap'. I do agree to that statement, but with the additions of your suggestions I can see a hybridized offensive mix in place defiantly allowing me to get rid of annoying substitute users effectively, as well as rest users!

I don't mind losing Torkoal either, since I practically never play with any kind of spinner in any of my teams, so it'll be nothing new without one, I guess he was dead weight :)

Also to remove Glaceon to Regice, now that you explain it, actually makes perfect sense in an awesome offensive, yet deviously offensive addition to this team!

And lastly, Golurk. My favourite ability is 'No Guard' no doubt! haha and Dynamic punching away, but hey, if getting rid of him means another win condition in setting up all over my opponent, then why not!

Also I agree with Audino's inclusion of 'return', to be perfectly honest, I was thinking prior to posting this that Audino required some kind of attack to deal with Sub users, just wasn't sure exactly what! That suggestion defiantly nailed it down for me :)

Same above, goes for the inclusion of 'scald' over 'waterfall' Alomamola, since burning any physical opponent is as good as rendering it totally 'ineffective', as I would also like to try out many of the other move pool suggestions as well!

Otherwise I'm defiantly going to take into careful consideration and experiment around with each of your recommendations, and I'll repeat again how surprised I am by the well mannered feedback you've provided! Thank you so much :) it is greatly appreciated!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)