NU Stats - March 2013

I have used Luxray, and it really should be higher. Two awesome abilities, that massive attack stat, and Volt Switch to scout switch ins? Yes please. It is slow, but at least it should above things like Camperupt and Flareon
The combination of Flame Orb and Wild Charge's recoil really puts the drain on Luxray. Its overall offensive movepool, while precise, is still lacking compared to the overall bulkier, more versatile and more powerful Eelektross, who has so many options that it's not even funny.

Overall, Eelektross > Luxray, by a milestretch.

| 15 | Liepard | 8.287% |

I'm glad to see Liepard getting higher and higher. I've been using the Nasty Plot set for a while these days, and it certainly works. Liepard has saved me in many tough positions. When the opponent is winning lategame, if they suddenly make a misprediction or try setting up lategame and I see it coming, I send Liepard and I use Encore, and then Nasty Plot + Dark Pulse for a sweep. Nasty Plot Liepard is so underrated (I have never faced it, I've always faced Swagger variants), and it's great, because most people don't expect it.

I also like that Misdreavus is being used more. IMO it's a great Pokémon.

| Skuntank | +10.68939% |

Wow, in 1850, Skuntank +10%, that surprised me. Also Ludicolo is much more seen in those levels.

The combination of Flame Orb and Wild Charge's recoil really puts the drain on Luxray. Its overall offensive movepool, while precise, is still lacking compared to the overall bulkier, more versatile and more powerful Eelektross, who has so many options that it's not even funny.

Mmm, this is true for offensive Luxray: Guts sets are generally outclassed by Zangoose/Ursaring for speed and strength. However, I've had a great deal of success with Restalk Roar Luxray on a spike-stacking team: Intimidate by itself forces a lot of switches, and Roar just makes things better. I guess it's kind of a copy of Restalk Gyarados in OU, but I'd have to say that bulky Luxray is far better at checking physical sweepers than Eelektross, and that would be its claim to fame.

Luxray doesn't even need Guts to do well. Its Choice Band and Choice Scarf sets are also excellent. And Luxray has Intimidate. Luxray also does have higher speed and attack than Eelektross

Since the month is almost over. What do you think that the usage stats will look like for April? It's very obvious that Scolipede, Jynx and Primeape all got great usage while Munchlax is getting some decent attention. And the rise of faster threats like Swellow, Zebstrika and Serperior is also predictable but around what # will you think the drops will be around and who do you think will be the king of NU this month?

I have seen powerhouses from the previous meta, such as Braviary, Gardevoir, and Sawsbuck, decrease in usage in this current meta. I am pretty damn certain though that Scolipede is going to be in the top 1-5~ and maintain its spot there for a long time. Jynx, on the other hand, is most likely going to be in the top 3-8~ because it's really, really good, but I just don't see it very often in the PS ladder.

Other potential rises are the aforementioned Swellow, Zebstrika, and Serperior, as well as Carracosta, Weezing, Misdreavus, Charizard, Metang, and Hypno/Grumpig (the two are very niche tho!). Potential drops are Exeguttor (;.;), Sawsbuck, Gardevoir, Braviary, Glaceon (irrelevant but still), and Zangoose.

In conclusion, Scolipede and Jynx are most probably somewhere in the 1-5 spot, Primeape could be there too. But, in reality, the stats are usually unpredictable (mainly because of all the PS newbies, but yeah), so random stuff like Armaldo or Cacturne may still end up being used much more than they should.

EDIT: Primeape is definitely going to be in the top 5-10~ as a lot of people (including myself) enjoy having a good scout that doesn't have a weakness to Stealth Rocks, it is also quite fast and has a vast movepool.

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
golurk will probably have the highest usage this month; it had top tier usage last month and it's on a lot of teams now because it is one of the best checks scolipede and primeape (and munchlax too but nobody cares)

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I have actually seen very few Golurk this month around. Scolipede or Jynx will probably claim top spot cos' they are everywhere, unless that isn't how usage stats work for newcomers.

I, for one, have seen at least one Golurk in 90% of the games I've played this month. That might be because I end up using it on almost every team I make, but my enemies have it fairly often as well. Resisting Megahorn and everything Primeape has except Ice Punch is /really/ handy. And with Tauros and Zebstrika on the rise, the immunities are nice. There is also the fact that the only common Golurk move Jynx can switch into is Ice Punch. Even for support Golurk.

Jynx is not supposed to switch into an attack anyway, so that point is rather move. Even resisted physical attacks just deal too much damage, even more with Rocks on the field and/or if you want to set up a Substitute.

Exactly. I'm just saying that Golurk's Jynx weakness is unimportant anyway, so long as the Jynx is not already on the field. The guy makes for a fantastic anti-hazard-lead. Let's take a gander at the top 10 or so leads that carry Stealth Rock.

Choice Band Golurk:

Golurk: With some speed investment and a choice band, your own Golurk can OHKO the standard support Golurk by using Shadow Punch or Ice Punch. Even Earthquake has a chance to do so.

Piloswine: Drain Punch will let you survive two ice shards while getting the 2HKO. If they're carrying Icicle Spear and get pretty lucky on the first turn, though, you'd best get out of there. Slow Golurk can tank the Icicle Spear, recover HP with Drain Punch, and then survive the Ice Shard to get the KO.

Armaldo: Earthquake will always 2HKO. It might get rocks up, but it's not sticking around to spin later. As an added bonus, Golurk resists both Stone Edge and X-Scissor. Not to mention that Golurk is a spinblocker all his own.

Golem: Can't OHKO any form, thanks to Sturdy, but you can opt to 2HKO the Custap sets without activating the berry by using Shadow Punch. If they're using a more defensive set, you can get a clean 2HKO with practically anything else. (If Sturdy is broken by something, which makes this not a lead matchup, Earthquake will always OHKO.)

Bastiodon: Again, Sturdy stops the OHKO. Golurk deals massive damage with both Earthquake and Drain Punch

Regirock: OHKO some weird offensive forms with Earthquake, 2HKO the rest.

Torkoal: OHKO it with Earthquake, it doesn't have Sturdy to stop you.

Seismitoad: Earthquake will deal very heavy damage, but any offensive Seismitoad with Hydro Pump is going to kill Golurk off before it can attack. Being the only thing on this list that is faster than Golurk, Golurk actually has a hard time with Seismitoad.

Gigalith: You can bring it to 1 HP with Earthquake and play right into its Custap-holding hands, or you can get a clean 2HKO with Shadow Punch without activating the berry at all.

Probopass: Earthquake or Shadow Punch that thing. Golurk is immune to Volt Switch, so if it switches, something else is eating an attack from CB Golurk. That's never fun.

In sum, he can't break Sturdy, but he can cripple or outright kill practically every Stealth Rocker there is. He's actually faster than all of these sans Seismitoad, and Piloswine's priority. (Though that can be dealt with with some smart playing.)

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Taunt Samurott has immense anti-lead potential. He can Taunt them to stop SR from Sturdy mons, and drown anything else that isn't (or in Toad's case, trip up). His great bulk for an offensive mon allows him to tank EQs from Golem moderately well too, and can even tank the subsequent Sucker Punch provided EQ and Sucker Punch don't roll max. Samurott may likely get KOed in the process without KOing Golem (assuming Rott Taunts turn 1 and Golem EQs), but he's done his job.

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Exactly. I'm just saying that Golurk's Jynx weakness is unimportant anyway, so long as the Jynx is not already on the field. The guy makes for a fantastic anti-hazard-lead. Let's take a gander at the top 10 or so leads that carry Stealth Rock.

Choice Band Golurk:

Golurk: With some speed investment and a choice band, your own Golurk can OHKO the standard support Golurk by using Shadow Punch or Ice Punch. Even Earthquake has a chance to do so.

Piloswine: Drain Punch will let you survive two ice shards while getting the 2HKO. If they're carrying Icicle Spear and get pretty lucky on the first turn, though, you'd best get out of there. Slow Golurk can tank the Icicle Spear, recover HP with Drain Punch, and then survive the Ice Shard to get the KO.

Armaldo: Earthquake will always 2HKO. It might get rocks up, but it's not sticking around to spin later. As an added bonus, Golurk resists both Stone Edge and X-Scissor. Not to mention that Golurk is a spinblocker all his own.

Golem: Can't OHKO any form, thanks to Sturdy, but you can opt to 2HKO the Custap sets without activating the berry by using Shadow Punch. If they're using a more defensive set, you can get a clean 2HKO with practically anything else. (If Sturdy is broken by something, which makes this not a lead matchup, Earthquake will always OHKO.)

Bastiodon: Again, Sturdy stops the OHKO. Golurk deals massive damage with both Earthquake and Drain Punch

Regirock: OHKO some weird offensive forms with Earthquake, 2HKO the rest.

Torkoal: OHKO it with Earthquake, it doesn't have Sturdy to stop you.

Seismitoad: Earthquake will deal very heavy damage, but any offensive Seismitoad with Hydro Pump is going to kill Golurk off before it can attack. Being the only thing on this list that is faster than Golurk, Golurk actually has a hard time with Seismitoad.

Gigalith: You can bring it to 1 HP with Earthquake and play right into its Custap-holding hands, or you can get a clean 2HKO with Shadow Punch without activating the berry at all.

Probopass: Earthquake or Shadow Punch that thing. Golurk is immune to Volt Switch, so if it switches, something else is eating an attack from CB Golurk. That's never fun.

In sum, he can't break Sturdy, but he can cripple or outright kill practically every Stealth Rocker there is. He's actually faster than all of these sans Seismitoad, and Piloswine's priority. (Though that can be dealt with with some smart playing.)
there's 2 things wrong with this list.

first of all, golem can beat golurk with the combination of earthquake and sucker punch. drain punch won't be able to save you if you're faster since you essentially take 2 hits in a row due to sucker punch having priority.

piloswine nets a guaranteed 2hko with a 2 hit icicle spear and ice shard and it's slower as well, so golurk loses to it.

golurk is, however, a pretty good answer to most hazard setters, although it doesn't actually prevent them from setting stealth rocks up. one interesting option is dynamicpunch, which can potentially prevent piloswine or something else from doing anything while still dealing a lot of damage which means you're not completely relying on hax.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)