Nuzlocke Challenge

I'm thinking of doing this challenge on pearl. Just a question before it though.

In the very first battle against a lv.2 Starly in Lake verity, which comes out of the trees, not the grass, does it count of the first pokemon you see in Lake verity grass, or can you still catch the next pokemon you actually see in the grass there?
It's a judgement call. Most people do consider it, but it really depends on what you want. Hell, you can wait to see what the first thing you run into is if you want.

Moral of the story: It's your challenge, play it how you want.

Bartman101

Banned deucer.
OK, thanks Vratix, I'll do that then.

I am undertaking the Nuzlocke challenge for Pokemon Pearl using the standard rules

I'll either be starting tonight or tommorow and choosing Turtwig as my starter

Just finished my FireRed Nuzlocke, was the most epic thing ever. My last pokemon was Blastoise, his Venusaur, I had 17 HP left, and just barely outsped Venasaur and hit it with an Ice Beam.

Impromptu update!

I cycled my way to Slateport to get some levels and also Harbor Mail while I'm down there.
Karpdegrac evolved! And so did Trish!! Back up, got the Coin Case and took on the gym.

GYM LEADER WATTSON:
Magnemite 1
-Mach Punch -> Thunder Wave -> Paralyzed -> Super Potion -> Mach Punch -> Mach Punch -> Dead
Voltrob got Mud Shot
Magneton also got Mudshot after a ridiculous set of affairs involving confusion (D:) and Sonic Boom (SONICBOOM SONIC BOOM SONIC BOOM SONIC BOOM)

Dynamo Bade is mine! Yay! Super easy.

Then on back to Verdanturf to reunite lost lovers and also a trade route.
When suddenly PCH0000's spirit from beyond the grave smashed those rocks so I didn't have to sacrifice a move slot!
such a damn trooper NEVER DOUBT THE POWER OF LOVE ;-;

And then I ran to Devon to get Exp Share and back so I can move on with the game (SPIRIT ROCK SMASH GOES HERE) and on I went.

I taught Karpdegrac Strength to take advantage of that monstrous attack stat, and then the rest of the route was just him and Madda kicking butt with some Psi & Birdy support.

I caught:
-Male level 14 Numel named Fuji on Route 112
-Male level 15 Machop named Fuerto in Fiery cavern hall thing place

Then came route 113.
I decided to sneak my way across to Fallarbor with a repel I bought earlier. I wanted to grab Koromori (who raised itself to level 16) so I could use another repel to try and get a Skarmory.
I really didn't want a Spinda, and a Skarmory could at least be a backup flier and overall defender.
Instead I got a Sandshrew :T
Which I thought "Oh, cool, a ground type will help against Flannery!"
then I saw his movepool and wept

and wept

and wept.

LOLWUT started back his journey, this time in Diamond.

Things went wrong quickly.

LOLWUT exclaimed his anger

"lolololol...NO U CRANIDOS!!! ST0P TEH MADDNEZZ"

Cranidos nailed "ROFLsalad" the Turtwig causing a flinch, and resulted in the death of the Leaf Turtle.

LOLWUT's eyes popped out of his head as his first Pokemon fell.

"YOU MOTHERUFUCKIN COCKJUGGLER. I WILL HAVE YOUR ANAL CHERRY NOW."

A level 9 Starly named "TEH pronz1" came out to avenge his reptile friend. But the Quick Attack was not enough. He fell as well.

"lulz but how R I suppzed 2 git meh p0rn bak h0m3??" The reason for Starly's name comes out.

WTC 9/11 the Bidoof came out and was able to take down the Cranibeast, while LOLWUT stared into the distance, trolling in his victory and forgetting about the loss of his older monsters.

"AYE MAKE DA WINZ. U SUCKA MAH DICK. ROARAK CN I HAZ UR TECH MACHINES?"

WTC 9/11 and Friends would fall to Commander Mars at Valley. LOLWUT has hid away, now losing early in two different challenges.

So I read this whole thread (or most of it) and I plan on taking this challenge on my Platinum. IMO it's harder there than on HGSS. I'll be following Kitten Bukake's set of rules, simply because I'm new to this and moot's rules are too harsh for me xP. Hope its not too late to do this / post replies on this thread. I can't upload any snapshots, photos, or videos, (or MSPaint images, for that matter) but I can post replies of my progress and anger.

Oh boy, this is going to be "fun".

I've been slogging around training my Togepi for god knows how long - not an easy task when you realise it cannot attack. So at long last I've grinded it to Lvl 26 with an Exp. Share. And he's almost at max happiness! He's gonna evolve in one level!

Here's what happens next:

Wild Geodude appeared!
Wild Onix appeared!
Mira (I was in Wayward Cave) sent out Kadabra!
I send out Togepi!
Kadabra uses Confusion!
Onix fainted!
Geodude used Selfdestruct!
Me: FUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

After the battle, I uses a Rare Candy for the heck of it to see if he'd really evolve. 5 seconds later:

Congratulations! Bork evolved into a Togetic! You should be proud of yourself for your many hours of grinding this lil' piece of crap into something halway decent!

It didn't exactly say that, but I was implied. Anyone who's had to train a Togepi would agree. So screw it, I'm not releasing this guy. If I do, I'll get raped by Fantina again. And I might cry.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Update time! And my Togetic plays a starring role!

Anyway Ilex Forest wass no issue for me. I picked up a Pinco (named it Eternal) and when I left the Forest I caught a Drowzee which I traded for a Machop at the Dept. Store. After getting my Radio Card their was nothing else to do but take down the Gym. Whitneys Underlings were no mach for Vulcan and in moments Whitney and I were batling.
Whitney send out her Clefairy while Vulcan faced off against it hiting it hard with a Flame Wheel. And then "Clefairys Cute Charm activated", "Crap".

It did not matter though since Vulcan focused and managed to strike through killing that haxy Clefairy.

Next up was Miltank and it was the hardest battle I had had so far. I had left Mussle that Machop behind so I decided that Meridian should weaken the Miltank first. This was a mistake. Miltank stomped and Flinched my Meridian twice leaving it near death. However, Static acivated!. Miltank became paralised....which meanst Squat since its Lum then activated. In despirating I sent out Hope which was hit by a Stomp. I was able to fire off a Yawn after taking yet another Stomp authough Hope was near lost.
With little choice I went to Vulcan who took a Stomp to the face before that fat cow went to Sleep.
Wanting to capitalise on this I used an X Attack and started using Flame Wheel. Miltank was almost beaten it survived my FlameWheel with 1 health. I knew it would wake up this turn but that did not matter since I had quick Attack at my disposal. I used Flame Wheel and........ Whitney used Super Potion Miltank restored 50 health.
Me: FUCK.

Granted, Flame Wheel still hit it for Solid Damage but nothing could outspeed it, I has facing defeat.Miltank usedd Stomp hurting me and Causing me to Flinch. It then used Attract causing my Vulcan to fail in its attack. Lastly Miltank then followed up with a Stomp leaving me with 13 health left while Miltank had just under Half its health reamining, but then......
My Vulcan began to Glow. Huge amounts of fire erupted around it. Blaze had acivated. With a 50% chance to attack Vulcan snapped out of its trance and transformed into a wheel of Fire, slamming into Miltanke and causing it to fall. Amazingly I had won.

Yep just a short update and seriously I though that battle was over. Not only did I aviod the Flinch from that last Stomp but I managed to avoid the 50% chance for my attack to fail which was pretty cool. In "real life" I forgot about Blaze so was stunned when I managed to KO it when it had just under half of its health left. So yeah, closest chace I have ever had to failing in my Nuzlocke in HG. I thinkk I need to grind I bit more.

My Team after Whitney

Vulcan (13 Health) (Quilava) (Male)
Lv 21
Relaxed
-Flame Wheel
-Ember
-Headbutt
-Quick Attack

Hope (12 Health) (Togetic) (Female)
Lv 17
Hasty
-Sweet Kiss
-Yawn
-Extrasensory
-Metronome

Slick (Wooper) (Male)
Lv 19
Calm
-Mud Shot
-Water Gun
-Headbutt
-Mud Bomb

Nightmare (Gastly) (Male)
Lv 19
Careful
-Lick
-Hypnosis
-Night Shade
-Confuse Ray

Meridian (23 health) (Flaaffy) (Female)
Lv 20
Rash
-ThunderShock
-Thuder Wave
-Headbutt
- Tackle

Ilike2move (Aipom) (Male)
Lv 8
Quiet
-Cut
-Scratch
-Sand Attack
-Astonish

And yeah. Ill update soon with my next Gym battle once I recover. Phew....

I'm thinking of setting a new rule for slightly decreased difficulty:

If a Pokemon faints, it's given one more lease at life. Heal it and return it to your party with a mark/seal/something to help you keep track. If it faints a second time, you must release it.

Slightly eases the challenge for beginner Nuzlockers like myself, and helps immensely during crit-hax scenarios which everyone hates. A single additional try naturally isn't gonna motivate people to run around screaming "IMA GONNA FIGHT TEH E4 WITH MY LVL 30 TEAM FOR LULZ", but still acts as an insurance for people who make minor mistakes in the course of their run.

^ I used that rule once but I could only use it once, only on one pokemon, used on my Alakazam, Focus Blast missed three times then Umbreon Critical hit Faint Attacked me... -_-

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
K I have a small update for you guys.

I lost my First Pokemon........

Meridian (Flaaffy) (Lv 23)
was killed when I was trying to catch Sudowoodo. It got a Crit Flail which killed my beloved sheep.

Morty was not really an issue. Togetic (see it is usefull!) pretty much swept half his team and my Owl (Noctowl) beat his Gengar with a combination of Reflect (lets me take Sucker Punchs better) and Confusion (super effective move).

So thats my short update. Will make a more fuller one later but thought I should share the fact that my Sheep has (again) perished in a HG Nuzlocke.

Bartman101

Banned deucer.
Update on my pearl Nuzlocke challenge, I'm about to take on the 1st gym after starting it last night. So far it doesn't seem to hard, and I haven't lost any pokemon yet.

Pokemon-

LV.15 Bonzai Boy (Turtwig) male- mild nature-tackle, withdraw, absorb, razor leaf
LV.10 Gnasher (Bidoof) male- naughty nautre-tackle, growl, defense curl (Lake Verity)
LV.10 Kazza (Abra) male- quiet nature-Teleport, Hidden Power Ice (Oreburgh City)
LV.6 RockerDude (Geodude) female- naughty nature- tackle, defense curl, mud sport, Rock smash (Oreburgh Mine)

Yes, the abra is from that trade in Oreburgh city. The first pokemon I got in route 207 was a machop, so I decided to trade it for that, the type of its hidden power is great, but it's power is not- I think it's only around 40 :(

Box pokemon- Shinx, Kricketot, Starly, Zubat

Well at least I've not as of yet got two of the same pokemon which is good, but i feel that may change soon...

I'm thinking of setting a new rule for slightly decreased difficulty:

If a Pokemon faints, it's given one more lease at life. Heal it and return it to your party with a mark/seal/something to help you keep track. If it faints a second time, you must release it.

Slightly eases the challenge for beginner Nuzlockers like myself, and helps immensely during crit-hax scenarios which everyone hates. A single additional try naturally isn't gonna motivate people to run around screaming "IMA GONNA FIGHT TEH E4 WITH MY LVL 30 TEAM FOR LULZ", but still acts as an insurance for people who make minor mistakes in the course of their run.
But it does lead to Groudon solo runs which I think we can all agree is hilarious

I need some help, i've decided to add gulpin as my poison immunity and retire dustox in my recent nuzlocke run on saphire. However i feel like hes gonna get some 4 moveslot syndrome as he actually gets a good move pool. I'm going to run yawn, protect, sludge bomb, and (coverage move), so what other type gets best nuteral coverage with poison? the rest of my team that i actively train is marshtomp, makuhita, and taillow, if that helps. I know this issue is kinda far off but i like to plan ahead.

Yeah, just realized no fire punch casue i'm not playing emerald, so that sucks. Looking over the move list again it has a lot of options but not many high powered ones. Help please

Another update on my HG run, I have defeated chuck, at no small cost to my party. Regent wore down the primeape but then fell to a critical hit focus punch. The last hit activated poison point and since regent took all the rock slides, walled the focus punches. A combo of savant para and croco took down the poliwrath. It's too bad I don't have someone to replace regent but I'm still in okay shape. Jasmine shouldn't be too hard.
Party
Croco the feraligatr
Night the venonat
Lavos the slugma
Venus the weepinbell
Para the pidgeotto

New cryo
Tesla the magnemite
Gore the tauros
Jelly the tentacool
King the krabby

Dead
Fang the rattata
Sage the hoothoot
Sandman the drowzee
Arachno the spinarak
Monarch the caterpie
Spear the spearow
Genesis the togepi
Regent the nidorina
I'm only mentiong the new pokemon I caught under cryo now. I've also decided to evolve Darwin the eevee into flareon, because I have a shortage of fire.

I need some help, i've decided to add gulpin as my poison immunity and retire dustox in my recent nuzlocke run on saphire. However i feel like hes gonna get some 4 moveslot syndrome as he actually gets a good move pool. I'm going to run yawn, protect, sludge bomb, and (coverage move), so what other type gets best nuteral coverage with poison? the rest of my team that i actively train is marshtomp, makuhita, and taillow, if that helps. I know this issue is kinda far off but i like to plan ahead.

Yeah, just realized no fire punch casue i'm not playing emerald, so that sucks. Looking over the move list again it has a lot of options but not many high powered ones. Help please
Body Slam's a pretty cool move. Good damage, chance of paralysis, hits everything but rocks, steel and ghosts

Maybe Shock Wave if you want some electric coverage?

Honestly planning teams out ahead down to movesets in a Nuzlocke seems kind of risky, since one wrong move can mess everything up, so I really suggest trying to keep as close as possible to natural move sets.
(maybe drop Protect for Toxic? Not really sure how good Protect is in-game...)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)