Monotype Nyctophilia

nyctophilia nyc·to·phil·i·a (nĭk'tə-fĭl'ē-ə) n. A preference for the night or darkness.
Hello and welcome to what may be my last RMT for ORAS. With this generation reaching an end soon I felt like I wanted to give the Monotype community something. I've been part of such great community for the past 3 years and I really did enjoy this Gen 6 Monotype. It's pretty much a long story I'm not going to bother reciting but thanks to everyone that made this time enjoyable. This is a Dark-type team that I built some days ago and tested it focusing on a recently suspected Pokemon Hoopa-U, but this is not just your normal Dark team. Many people think that Choice Scarf Hoopa-U is the only way on Dark-type teams, shoutout to Eien for telling me otherwise. I built this team around Choice Specs Hoopa-U which was pretty good. I reset my W/L and I was at 1500~ ELO just to get pass low ladder and test it in some quality games. I'm currently sitting at 1700 ELO. I've also tested the team in some tournaments, it's not flawless, and it's hard to use. Less talking now, time to showcase the team.

As mentioned I wanted to try out Choice Specs Hoopa-U. It's a scary wallbreaker which is able to take on so many defensive threats notably Chansey, Tyranitar, Hippowdown, Zapdos, Skarmory, and Mega Venusaur which Dark-type teams usually struggle against. However, Choice Specs Hoopa-U had a glaring weakness in its mediocre speed tier and defense so the second step was to team it up with Pokemon that supports it.

So I decided to add Mandibuzz due to its amazing support capabilities, it is able to sponge most physical hits directed toward Hoopa-U from the scariest physical hitters such as Excadrill, Garchomp, Mega Gyarados, and Bisharp. But this isn't your normal Mandibuzz set I added a pinch of surprise factor. Shoutout Eien.

Since I already started with the first half of the defensive backbone why not just complete it with the specially defensive behemoth? Tyranitar and Mandibuzz have one of the most amazing defensive synergy, the former sponge any special attacks launched toward Mandibuzz while the latter eats Fighting- and Ground-type moves. Plus Tyranitar has amazing support moves in Thunder Wave and Stealth Rocks.

I needed a physical attacker and sweeper so I opted for Bisharp, it also serves as an amazing Fairy-type team check. It also has access to Knock Off which eases the job to Hoopa-U removing opposing Eviolite, Leftovers, and Choice Scarf. It also provides the team with a good priority move in Sucker Punch which otherwise this team lacks.

Oh man, I haven't used Hydreigon for a while and it happens this Pokemon fits the team perfectly. I noticed that I lack speed control so I added Choice Scarf Hydreigon as my second Special Attacker. It really does help against Steel- and Dragon-type teams plus it happens to be one of my limited checks to Choice Specs Keldeo. I also added a pinch of surprise factor here to better support Hoopa-U.

Did you really think I'm going to use Sableye? I'm DEG, I don't use Sableye! As a last Pokemon I decided to try Mega Sharpedo, a Pokemon I have never used before for my teams. It is an amazing Pokemon. Mega Sharpedo is able to late game sweep perfectly thanks to Speed Boost + Strong Jaw. This + Choice Specs Hoopa-U are an amazing duo, both can be used as foe weakener or sweeper but it is really better to just sweep with either Mega Sharpedo or Bisharp.

Hoopa-Unbound @ Choice Specs

Ability: Magician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
Dark Pulse
Psyshock
Energy Ball
Focus Blast

I came to fight for the love of the game, unstoppable
That's why I, I'm undefeated
Off the leash, out of the cage, an animal.
~ Skillet - Undefeated

As stated I wanted I really wanted to try Choice Specs Hoopa-U. It is an underrated set for Dark-type teams and is able to nail some great OHKOs or 2HKOs against Pokemon that may seem like a problem to dark teams such as Mega Venusaur and Hippowdown. Dark Pulse is the first STAB to go when against a team with nothing to resist it, it is able to easily 2HKO Pokemon such as Magnezone, Skarmory and Zapdos making it hard to switch in against. Psyshock is the secondary STAB move as it can catch off guard specially defensive Pokemon notably Chansey which otherwise can eat a hit and cripple Hoopa-U, it also helps deter Fighting-type Pokemon notably Choice Scarf Keldeo and Breloom which are a huge problem to Dark-type teams. Energy Ball is the first coverage move instead of Thunder Bolt, it allows me to hit both Water- and Ground-type teams which are problematic to Dark-type teams, it is pretty much a free to use move nailing an OHKO at worst 2HKO on most Pokemon there. Focus Blast is the last move that is present in this set as it mostly hits Steel- and Dark-type Pokemon such as Heatran and Empoleon that only get 3HKOd by other moves as Steel-type Pokemon examples, Mandibuzz and Hydreigon as Dark-type Pokemon examples. Overall I really liked the performance of Choice Specs Hoopa-U it brings some good wallbreaker to the team.

Mandibuzz @ Rocky Helmet

Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
Foul Play
Roost
Defog
U-turn

I need somebody and always
This sick strange darkness
Comes creeping on so haunting every time
~ Blink-182 - I Miss You

Mandibuzz was the second Pokemon added to the team serving as multiple purposes. Firstly it is able to to sponge any physically offensive move directed toward Hoopa-U especially Bug- and Fighting-type moves which are problematic to Dark-type teams mainly from Pokemon such as Scizor, Mega Pinsir, Terrakion and Breloom. Secondly it is able to remove hazards from the field thanks to Defog not allowing the opponent chip damaging the team. Arriving on the final role and the move that is rarely used on Mandibuzz; U-turn. Thanks to this move Mandibuzz can gain huge momentum to the team and especially allowing Hoopa-U an easier way of entering the field as Mandibuzz is slow enough to be used as a slow pivot.

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry

Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Sassy Nature
Thunder Wave
Stone Edge
Fire Blast
Stealth Rock

A mastermind ahead of his time, that's why they left me behind
You fear the future, I'm the future in lines
I got the future in line, I'm only losing my time
~ Witt Lowry - Ladders

The second half of my defensive backbone Tyranitar is able to sponge most specially offensive moves. The synergy it forms with Mandibuzz is great, Tyranitar is able to tank any Ice-, Electric-, and Rock-type specially offensive move while Mandibuzz sponges Grass-, Bug-, and Fighting-type moves and is immune to Ground-type moves. Tyranitar's other job is to support Hoopa-U by crippling the foe with Thunder Wave and setting up Stealth Rock which can be done reliably thanks to its bulk. Stone Edge is used to hit especially Bug-, Flying- and Fire-type Pokemon mainly Armaldo, Zapdos, and Mega Charizard Y which poses a problem and can remove the hazards. Fire Blast is a nice coverage move allowing me to hit Steel-type Pokemon especially Forretress and Skarmory. As for the EVs they are a little bit special, 252 HP boosts Tyranitar bulk while 128 Def allows me to live a Choice Scarf Close Combat by Terrakion and a Choice Specs Secret Sword by Keldeo with Chople Berry and Thunderwave back both of these Pokemon are huge threats to my team. The rest of the EVs are thrown into Spdf to boost its special bulk.

Bisharp @ Lum Berry

Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
Swords Dance
Knock Off
Iron Head
Sucker Punch

Feelings fade when people change
I stayed the same
You played your games
And now we're left with nothing
~ Gnash - Feelings Fade

After finish with my defensive backbone I went back to the offensive side of the team, first I needed a strong physical attacker that could also be used as sweeper, I decided to add Bisharp because it also can fend off Defog thanks to Defiant. I used a sweeper set with Sword Dance. Additionally, Bisharp brought me priority in Sucker Punch. In most case you'd want Bisharp alive against the weakened team. I went with Lum Berry as it can deal with status moves easier making it able to set up on a potential Scald from Slowbro or Empoleon without fearing the burn, it also gives me a way of dealing with Sableye which can be really annoying to the team.

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
U-turn
Draco Meteor
Flamethrower
Earth Power

If life really gives you lessons
Then I'm failing the class
~ Ivan B - Start Again

I noticed that my team really lacked speed control so I decided to add a Choice Scarf Pokemon, looked through the list of available Pokemon and noticed that Hydreigon fits the criteria the better, it has a great secondary typing in Dragon allowing to resist handful of types more importantly Water. Additionally, its ability in Levitate mitigates the Ground weakness that is shared by both Tyranitar and Bisharp. Furthermore, it had great coverage moves in Flamethrower and Earth Power which allows me to notably take on Steel- and Bug-type teams, I opted with Draco Meteor as STAB move because it allows me to hit Dragon-types effectively and proved to be great help against Dragon-type teams and the Dark STAB isn't that much needed. As for U-turn, it was also one of the prime reasons I used Hydreigon allowing me to gain momentum.

Sharpedo-Mega @ Sharpedonite

Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
Protect
Crunch
Ice Fang
Zen Headbutt

You’re no hero
So don’t act like it
And please don’t treat me
Like i’m yo sidekick
~ Abstract - I'm Good

As last Pokemon I was torn between Crawdaunt or Mega Sharpedo to complete my offensive core so I decided to go with Mega Sharpedo as I never used it before and I still needed more speed control plus another Fighting-type check. Thanks to Speed Boost and Strong Jaw this Pokemon can be a pretty effective late game cleaner, so it is recommended to not Mega Evolve Sharpedo before you are sure you're going to sweep since it can easily take on weakened teams. Furthermore, Mega Sharpedo brings me coverage in Ice Fang allows me to hit annoying Flying-, Ground-, and Ice-type Pokemon such as Gliscor, Landorus, and Garchomp. As last move I opted for Zen Headbutt as it gives me an effective way to check Fighting-type Pokemon especially Keldeo which is a serious problem to the team. You can use Hydro Pump or Water Fall instead of that but I do feel Zen Headbutt fits better there.

Monotype has really been a fun metagame to play this Gen even with all the ups and down, we have really evolved and came this far, I'm really proud of this community and glad I'm part of it. Hope to see Monotype getting much more better in Gen 7!

Hoopa-Unbound @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dark Pulse
- Psyshock
- Energy Ball
- Focus Blast

Mandibuzz @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 SpD
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock

Bisharp @ Lum Berry
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power

Sharpedo-Mega @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Crunch
- Ice Fang
- Zen Headbutt
Monotype Community:
scpinion: Thanks for leading this metagame for a huge part of Gen 6, no one can even deny that you're the reason that Monotype is where it is, you raised it from the grounds other than that you're a pretty chill dude and good to to talk to.
Bondie: You and your weird songs, love talking to you :^)
DoW: /me fangirls owo SENPAIIII x3x3x3x3x3
Eien: Pretty chill dude and fun to talk to~
Clearly 6TI Typhozzz Acast Dece1t Zyo : Every dollar that is spent waging the war on drugs is a dollar not spent genetically engineering catgirls for domestic ownership.
StarBlim: Pretty much one a dude that I spend most of my morning talking to, 2cool4me. meow.
rnbs Thank you for being such a great friend over the years, great dude. :)
MiyoKa H-Hi S-S-Senpai >~<
terrors ngl I forgot you and had to double check LOL. Hi son.
Pretty much everyone else in the community, I'm not really going to tag everyone, these are just the people that I talk to the most. And I'm p sure I forgot a lot LOL. Shoutout to MONOPL squad, Hi Chras. Shoutout to others thata rarely use smogon, you know who you are IF YOU EVER READ THIS.

Other Metas Community:
Zangooser: <3
The Immortal: This is the shoutout of DEG, drink it in maaaaaaaaaaan. (Maybe I'll do a 1v1 RMT ;w;)
Ransei nv baconbagon figments InfernapeTropius11 Josh (imas manu 11 ihateyourpancreas love
triangle) Betathunder Megazard Kris are cool people :DDD thanks for everything guys.

Everyone else:
Shoutout to catgirl Eyan meow :3
Shoutout to indian but not indian Sanjay. please get better avis
Shoutout to lebanese mate Silverwhiteblue
Arifeen, is this arifeen or did he change his name again?
Crestfall Hold this L
Trade kushal00 are hot buddies

Yea I'm not really going to continue, thanks everyone :)

Last edited:
[WIP] RESERVED

Type:

Description: This alongside Fairy is the hardest matchup for the team, I don't really have a lot to take on Fighting's offensive pressure from the likes of Breloom, Keldeo, and Terrakion. Breloom's sash should be broken asap, so Hoopa-U or Hydreigon can revenge kill it otherwise Mandibuzz is the best check. Keldeo and Terrakion are a bigger problem though. Keldeo being checked really depends on its item, if its Scarf a combination of Mandibuzz and Hoopa-U can check it as Secret Sword does little damage to Mandibuzz and doesn't OHKO Hoopa-U, if it's specs Hydreigon and Mega Sharpedo can take it out, in case you want to save health and still have Tyranitar healthy you can use the Rock-type Pokemon to Paralyze it as it can live any hit at 100%. Terrakion is harder to check, the only real answer is to play around Stone Edge / Close Combat as you always have a resist / neutral damage for both, Mandibuzz can take on the Close Combat while Bisharp and Hydreigon can take on Stone Edge, again Tyranitar is EV'd to live a Close Combat at full health.

Type:

Description: The second hardest matchup mostly due to Mega Diancie, I have nothing to outright take it out, I need to sack some Pokemon. Additionally, Klefki being present on the opponent's side reduce damage due to screens and cripple my Pokemon with Thunder Wave making it harder, easiest lead against Fairy is Tyranitar as it can weaken Mega Diancie with Stone Edge or set up Sealth Rock + Fire Blast the Klefki. Mandibuzz's only job against Fairy is to take on Azumarill, Hoopa-U should be used as it can take on the opposing weakened Pokemon especially Togekiss and Clefable. Lastly, Bisharp should be set up at any occasion as it is the only win condition here.

Type:

Description: Let's put both Terrakion and Mega Diancie on the same team and watch this Dark team die ok?

Last edited:

dusk raimon

Banned deucer.
Next time make it a 1v1 RMT xaa, still great rmT tho and thanks for shoutout, only one thing run enough speed on mandi to outspeed 252 Azu and foul play it after it belly drums

the moment when deg says "pinch of a surprise factor" but half his team is a surprise factor by itself. i thought of stealing this , but i remembered i stole your other dark rmt.
regarding the team, from my great experience as a monopl choker but match-up lucker participant, it looks cool. dont really have a critique since i dont know the metagame, but wow no sableye :P

Sylveon.

Penny saved is still a fucking penny
Just a thought, shouldn't you run a bit of speed on mandi to creep azu, otherwise max speed bd azu just eats the team alive. Also kudos, that you didn't use sableye I hate that fucking shit.
Excellent team man, best of luck.

My man. You might as well put shiftry in the threatlist LL. Thanks for the free ass team and the ..."shoutout". Team would of been better with sable but alas we cant all be like GOD Clearly now can we. Great team tho DEG keep em comin.
Edit: also add bb on mandi imo so u dont autose to cm keldeo

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)