Offensive Annihilation!

Hello! This is my second RMT, and I hope that this one shows more comprehensive coverage and growth in my skills as a battler.

So this team started off with me reading a list of common terms (SkarmBliss, DD, etc.) in The Pokemon Dictionary so I could become familiar with some terms I may not know. Upon doing so, I stumbled upon...

GyaraJolt / GyaraVire
Gyarados and Jolteon / Electivire being used together as an offensive core. Jolteon switches into Gyarados's Electric-type weakness to recover 25% of its health, thanks to Volt Absorb, while Electivire gains a +1 Speed boost from Motor Drive. Gyarados switches into Ground attacks aimed at the Electric-type.
Intrigued, I decided to try out this offensive core using Gyarados and Electivire since I hadn't used either before.

After establishing a starting point for my team I adjudicated upon strengthing my core with a fire type and a grass type. Infernape seemed like an apt candidate and a decent lead. Infernape is also another pokemon that I've never used, so I was interested in trying him out. For the Grass type I couldn't help but falling back on Breloom.

That left me with two slots to fill. I don't know how I really came to Weavile, but it functions as an excellent revenge killer and I can't see my team without it. Lastly I chose Vaporeon as great tanker/wish passer.

Team at a glance:

------------------------------------------------------------------

Infernape

Fake Out
Fire Blast
Close Combat
Stealth Rock

Item: Focus Sash
Ability: Blaze
Nature: Naive
EVs: 64 Atk / 252 SpA / 192 Spe

Infernape serves multiple purposes as my lead, the foremost being breaking the opposing lead's Focus Sash if they're carrying one. Usually Fire Blast or Close Combat can be used as a follow up for an OHKO. Swampert = Switch to Breloom. Otherwise, throw down some rocks and wreak havoc through out the game and lure water/Earthquake users out. Fire component of my Fire/Grass/Water secondary-core dealio.

Breloom

Spore
Seed Bomb
Focus Punch
Stone Edge

Item: Poison Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spe

Whole. Lee. Shit. I've used Breloom in the past, but it's always been with Substitute over Stone Edge. After accidentally using Stone Edge over Substitute, I can't see going back. First and formost, Breloom forces switches like no other. Spore, and then they're forced to eat an attack one way or the other. Breloom also acts as a status absorber once Poison Orb is activated. Grass/Fighting/Rock also provides what I believe to be perfect coverage. Breloom simply kicks ass. Grass component of my Fire/Grass/Water secondary-core dealio.

Vaporeon

Wish
Protect
Surf
Hidden Power [Electric]

Item: Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
Nature: Bold
EVs: 188 HP / 252 Def / 68 Spe

Vaporeon is a fantastic pokemon. It's natural bulk coupled with the ability to heal it's self via Wish/Protect and taking Water attacks make it a wonderful tanker. However, I haven't really been utilizing it for effective Wish-passing, so I'm thinking about replacing it for with a Rapid Spinner to get rid of entry hazards. Water component of my Fire/Grass/Water secondary-core dealio (however, seeing as this is my second Water type, I'm given another reason to replace it).

Weavile

Pursuit
Ice Shard
Low Kick
Ice Punch

Item: Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe

Immunity to Psychic attacks is awesome. Pursuit to punish those that try to switch out is nice. Priority Ice move is nice. Having STAB Ice Shard + Pursuit + Choice Band is insane. This thing is an amazingly effective revenge killer. I'm so glad I randomly decided to use it, because it fits in so nicely on my team. Low Kick for Tyranitar, Steel, and Normal types. Ice Punch when Ice Shard can't do the job.

Electivire

Cross Chop
Flamethrower
Thunderbolt
Hidden Power [Ice]

Item: Expert Belt
Ability: Motor Drive
Nature: Mild
EVs: 36 Atk / 252 SpA / 220 Spe

Switch in on an Electric attack that Gyarados is bound to attract and commence mini-sweeping spree. This moveset provides excellent coverage, and Expert Belt serves to boost the damage done by Super Effective attacks, which 'Vire is usually able to deliver. I've really enjoyed using Electivire; he's a keep component to my team's success. Electivire's definitely underused and underestimated from what I've seen, despite his OU label.

Gyarados

Dragon Dance
Taunt
Waterfall
Stone Edge

Item: Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 156 HP / 72 Atk / 96 Def / 184 Spe

Switch in on a Ground attack that Electrivire is bound to attract, either kill or DD on the switch, and it's usually good game. Taunt prevents setting up and status inducers, sometimes forcing switching and allowing for more dancing. I've been down to Gyarados as my last Pokemon, Dragon Danced, and proceeded to sweep the remainder of my opponent's team. This guy is amazingly powerful, and is another key component of my team.

Well that's it. I hope my layout kept your interest, and I really look forward to your comments. I'd especially like some suggestions on a replacement for Vaporeon.​

That's basically a carbon copy of my first team, so I can tell you what worked with that. Weaville can slaughter a lot as it is. Substituting choice band for focus sash allows it to sweep. I run counter over pursuit on sweepers, as it allows it to take a bullet punch from a boosted scizor, and kill scizor simultaneously with focus sash. Night Slash is typically better than Ice Punch on Weaville, as it tends to hit more harder, and the added crit chance can break stalls. Anything that you would use Ice Punch for, Ice Shard will kill anyway. Other than that, why a special Vire? With Vires amazing attack, wouldn't the punches hit harder? As for a Vappy replacement, I see Forry being a solid spinner, which you probably need with mostly grounded pokemon, gyra and Weaville.

Foretress@Leftovers
Sturdy
-252HP/80Attack/176Def
-Rapid Spin
-Spikes/Toxic Spikes
-Gyro Ball/Earthquake
-Explosion
Relaxed Nature

This team has trouble with stall, but I still haven't found a solution for that.
Good luck!
Relaxed Nature

EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe on Weavile is garbage now. This was the standard spread to outrun Base 120 Speed: Sceptile, Dugtrio and Alakazam; Pokémon who got kicked from the OU tier and thus rare to see now a days.

The new spread you'll wanna need is: 252 Attack / 176 Speed / 80 HP. This will allow you to outspeed base 115 Speed: Starmie and Azelf, and get your Weavile a little more bulk.

GL on your team.

EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe on Weavile is garbage now. This was the standard spread to outrun Base 120 Speed: Sceptile, Dugtrio and Alakazam; Pokémon who got kicked from the OU tier and thus rare to see now a days.

The new spread you'll wanna need is: 252 Attack / 188 Speed / 68 HP. This will allow you to outspeed base 115 Speed: Starmie and Azelf and ScarfTar, and get your Weavile a little more bulk.

GL on your team.
You'll want to use those instead. The extra speed insures that you outspeed Choice Scarf Tyranitar, and do 200% damage to him with Low Kick.

Jolteon be used as an alternative to Electivre, seeing as how you have no check to Starmie outside of Weavile.

I'm gonna go out on a limb, and say GyaraJolt>GyaraVire. Really, Electivire doesn't hit hard enough, so I highly suggest swapping it for a variant of Jolteon, who's Special attacks have better synergy with Gyara's physical attacks.

I also highly suggest substituting Vaporeon for Forretress. The GyaraJolt/GyaraVire combo both needs and forces a lot of switches. Rapid Spin will help eliminate Gyara's cumbersome SR weakness, and Spikes will help to wear down the opponent's team as you switch between the two.

Oh well, good luck!

Well I've been using the suggestions given, and I'm really liking Forretress and the new EV spread on Weavile. However, I'm not liking Jolteon, but that could be because I'm using the Choice Specs set. Anyone have any other suggestions for Jolteon?

Threats
Weaknesses
Offensive LO Starmie (vaporeon to an extent)
Offensive Suicune
Gengar
Shaymin
Mixed Flygon
CM+Wish Jirachi

CHOICE SCARF FLYGON OUTRAGE AAAAH DRAGAN WEAKNESS

How they're threats
Starmie can basically can come in on Vaporeon, or worse yet, if you face an Anti-Lead Starmie, it has the potential to run through the entire team between Hydro Pump/ThunderBolt/Ice Beam. Your best bet is Weavile, which can't switch in safely, meaning something is going down before Starmie gets revenged. Suicune on the other hand is bulkier, yet more deadly, setting up all over Vaporeon with Calm Mind, and OHKOing your team between hydro pump/ice beam/hp electric. The sad thing is, Weavile isn't even guaranteed to revenge it, as it resists your STAB moves, and doesn't find a reason to switch out for Pursuit. Furthermore, Gengar, LO Shaymin, Mixed Flygon, Dragon Dance Tyranitar, can just run through your team, and you rely on Weavile for all these, and lets face it, Weavile isn't that hard to get rid off, ESPECIALLY with a Choice locked Ice or Dark attack, and you depend on it so damn much =/. Jirachi can set-up on Vaporeon, force Breloom out due to Psychic, and just be a dick to the team between CalmMind/Wish/Psychic/Thunderbolt

Solutions
I think a Shuca Berry Calm mind Jirachi could work really well over Weavile. Jirachi gives you a much much needed dragon resist and own Suicune as well as Scarf Flygon. Maiming Scarf Flygon will help Gyarados in the long run, as nowadays most people have Flygon as the main way to handle Gyarados.

Here's the set:

Jirachi @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
- Grass Knot / Hidden Power [Ground]

Suicune, Flygon, and Earthquake Tyranitar are handled by this set more or less, and gives you a nice Special Attacker early game to lure and kill threats to gyarados.

To handle Gengar, Shaymin, Infernape and Starmie, try Choice Scarf Rotom-H over *sigh* Electivire. Now I know that he's the key success blah blah, but Rotom handles all those above threats really well with a spread of 216Satk/40Def/252Spe Timid nature, choice scarf and a moveset of Thunderbolt/OverHeat/Shadowball/Trick. This will destroy gengar with Shadow Ball, Infernape/Starmie with thunderbolt, Infernape after defense drops. Shaymin is handled by Overheat, since most tend to stay in. Rotom-H also can be used as an "o-shit" button vs Calm Mind Jirachi, stopping its set-up attempts with trick, so your own Jirachi can set-up

GL

Personally, I've always taken a fancy to the Charge Beam varieties of Jolteon, espescially when paired with Gyara. As you force out the opponent from switching in to Jolteon, you can just Charge Beam, hope you get the boost, then hit as hard as you can, going back to Gyara when you're threatened.

I'm gonna go out on a limb, and say GyaraJolt>GyaraVire. Really, Electivire doesn't hit hard enough, so I highly suggest swapping it for a variant of Jolteon, who's Special attacks have better synergy with Gyara's physical attacks.

I also highly suggest substituting Vaporeon for Forretress. The GyaraJolt/GyaraVire combo both needs and forces a lot of switches. Rapid Spin will help eliminate Gyara's cumbersome SR weakness, and Spikes will help to wear down the opponent's team as you switch between the two.

Oh well, good luck!
i completely agree with him.. i have tryed both GyaraJolt and GyaraVire, and u will find that jolt is much more effective then Vire at most times. i would consider running spec jolteon along with it..

and the forteress idea isnt bad either.

but i would also consider completely doing away with weavile all together. as it is not nearly as effective as it once was, do the the fact it takes hits like a girl and it also hits like one. true it is a great revenge killer but its damage putout is not as good as some of the other options.

u could have problems again a smart scarf rotom user. i would suggest trying a CB T-Tar over weavile do to is amazing damage putout and its special bulkyness

Well GL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)