ORAS UU Offensive balance

1. > Offensive Balance 101 <

Introduction

Whats up guys my name is iAruban and this is my first RMT so please bear with me. I build this team a couple months ago before the crawdaunt drop. During the Crawdaunt test phase i stopped playing with this team since i wanted to use craw myself and also felt like this team wasnt very good at dealing with crawdaunt. But i started using it again and it turns out its still very solid.

Teambuilding Process

I started this team with idea of bulding it around a solid defensive core. I wanted a physically defensive mon capable of dealing with the dangerous fire types that were running rampant in the UU tier. I chose Rotom-H for this and empoleon as its partner since they cover eachother weaknesses very well. My choices for my other mons i will explain down below.

The Team

NoChurchInTHeWild (Empoleon) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Torrent
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD
    Calm Nature
    - Scald
    - Defog
    - Roar
    - Stealth Rock

As i said i wanted to build around the defensive core of emoleon and rotom. Empoleon exists mainly to cover up rotoms weaknesses as well as my spdef wall with hazard control. Moves are fairly standerd. U could also run ice beam over roar if u want extra help vs dragons.

Negros in Paris (Rotom-Heat) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
    Bold Nature
    - Volt Switch
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Overheat
    - Pain Split

Rotom is my 2nd part of the core. He deals very well with things like Entei/darm/arcenine/krook. U can switch into them with ease and volt switch out for momentum or pain split back up if uve taking too much dmg. He pais very nicely with empelon since he resists ground and eletric.

Gifted (Nidoqueen) @ Life Orb
    Ability: Sheer Force
    EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 212 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Ice Beam
    - Focus Blast
    - Earth Power
    - Sludge Wave

I found that with only empoleon and rotom i was too weak vs fighting types. I put nidoqueen in since it has nice natural bulk while also providing nice offensive pressure. I put focus blast on it to surpise things like umbreon/ p2 and blissey who usually have a free switchin vs the queen.

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
    Ability: Thick Fat
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Ice Shard
    - Earthquake
    - Knock Off
    - Icicle Crash

I put mamo on the team as extra security vs dd mence and it also simply does not have a lot of things that can freely switch into it besides the likes of suicune.

Hey mama (Mienshao) @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Reckless
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - High Jump Kick
    - U-turn
    - Stone Edge
    - Knock Off

Since the rest of my team isnt very fast i wanted a fast mon that could work as a good revenge killer. HJK + reckless does a surprising amount vs frail sweepers and also not so frail sweepers like gator which makes it the perfect revenge killer. It also outspeeds pretty much all other scarfers.

Stronger (Sceptile) @ Sceptilite
    Ability: Overgrow
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 30 Atk
    - Giga Drain
    - Leaf Storm
    - Focus Blast
    - Dragon Pulse

All that was left now is something to deal with bulky waters. Sceptile was the most logical choice since i didnt have a mega yet. I have focus blast over hp fire for the same reasons i have it on nidoqueen, doublade and forretres are also a lot less comon nowadays.

Conclusion

I hope this isnt terribly done im open to all suggestions.
    Heres also a threatslist:

This thing can cause a lot of dmg especially if its the special NP set, u basically have to revenge kill it with mienshao.

This thing is also very dangerous since neither of my walls resist dark and it also cant get burned.

This thing also threatens both my walls which makes it very hard to deal with.​

Well that should be it, hope u guys enjoyed and if theres something wrong please let me know.​

Last edited:

Cynde

toasty
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
coulda sworn i rated the exact same team before lol. hi.

• yo try out toxicroak > mienshao. it gives you another check to water types so you wouldn't be pressured if sceptile happens to get burned via scald (not an unlikely scenario) as well as another check to crawdaunt which is pretty useful for your team honestly. so the set i would be running is lum berry. there's 1 reason for this, sableye. i'm not too satisfied with this team's ability to take on sableye, empoleon hates its item being knocked off, hates being worn down by wisp and if it's taunted it isn't doing shit support wise. nido hates knock off, mamo hates wisp, shao hates wisp, sceptile doesn't appreciate wisp either (although scept does win 1v1). so yeah lum berry is gonna be pretty useful in oder to lure sableye thus eliminating a pretty big nuisance for your team. the set would go along the lines of swords dance / drain punch / knock off / gunk shot. the ev spread in question would be 32 hp / 252 atk / 224 speed with a jolly nature. this lets you outspeed gyarados. also gives u a win con which u were previously lacking.

• speaking of gyarados, it happens to be a pretty big threat for your team so have you considered running choice scarf rotom heat? it outspeeds gyara at +1 so you can check it with volt switch should the situation come down to it, you have empoleon to phase it out early-mid game + rack up hazard damage every time it switches in so this simple change should be sufficient. it also provides your team with some speed outside sceptile which is nice and allows you to outspeed mega aerodactyl and mega beedrill, 2 annoying pokemon. the set would shift to overheat / trick / volt switch / thunderbolt with an ev spread distribution of 252 spa / 4 spd / 252 spe and a timid nature.

• so obviously this change is removing one of the key members of your defensive backbone and to remedy this change cresselia > nidoqueen. nidoqueen has an overlapping role as a ground type wall breaker with mamoswine and the fairy check role is already accomplished by empoleon, rotom and toxicroak. running thunder wave on cress allows you to cripple faster pokemon such as slurpuff and aerodactyl and make them a much easier pokemon to deal with. cresselia also has capabilities of keeping empoleon healthy via lunar dance which can be very useful should the situation arise. with cresselia you'd still retain a very good answer to fighting types, an even better one than nidoqueen in fact. the set i would run is thunder wave / moonblast / moonlight / lunar dance the item you should be running is colbur berry and an ev spread of 240 hp / 252 def / 16 spe with a bold nature. the reason you'd run colbur berry is to lure hydreigon into clicking dark pulse and then crippling it with twave which allows the rest of your team to deal with it just fine. lunar dance gives empoleon a second life should it end up being worn down.

• that pretty much settles it for all the major changes that needed to be made so i guess the last thing i would say is run adamant nature on mamoswine as your team really appreciates its wall breaking ability and it does that most effectively with an adamant nature.

-----------------------
Other Options
  1. Bulky Croak > Offensive Croak (228 hp / 252 atk / 28 spe w/ adamant nature)
  2. psychic > lunar dance on cresselia
-----------------------

hope this helps.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)