ORAS OU [Offensive] First team since 2012 (BW)

Hi there, I used to competitively battle friends using gamesharks and DS lites back when I was in college. We battled using Smogon's rules and tiers. I used Showdown when it was still relatively new, however I wasn't thrilled about having to learn about Dream World abilities being added to the metagame. Since then I've followed the new releases and I thought the addition of fairy types was great for balancing the types. I formed this team about two weeks ago as an exact replica found on this forum, however it has been changed significantly since then. The core of the team is formed by Landorus, Talonflame, and Manaphy. Manaphy is a favorite of mine from when I used it in Ubers. I know this team has a lot of room for improvement. It lacks a fairy type, and struggles in dealing with them simultaneously. Pokemon that are easily handled by ice-type and grass-type moves also give me trouble. Ghost-types are a pain to deal with as well. It also lacks a mega evolution which I'm sure is a huge handicap in today's OU meta. The success of the team is built upon dominating entry hazards and forcing switches with powerful offensive threats.

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers (Mr Wuggles)
Ability: Intimidate
Nature: Impish
EV spread: 252 HP/240 Def/8 Spe

Earthquake
Knock Off
U-Turn
Stealth Rock

Landorus-T serves as my lead 80% of the time. I find that many teams lead with a physically offensive mon, and if that is the case, Intimidate does a great job crippling an opponent's early game strategy. Landorus serves as an important pivot throughout a battle, soaking up EQ's for Excadrill and Magnezone. He is my team's main physical wall and only entry hazard user.

Dragonite @ Lum Berry (franku senpai)
Ability: Multiscale
Nature: Jolly
EV spread: 252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 Def

Dragon Dance
Earthquake
Dragon Claw
Stone Edge

Dragonite has been one of my favorite pokemon since I cloned my level 100 five times in Silver. When I quit the game, Dragonite was seen as the little brother of Salamence and Garchomp, so being able to use him as my team's primary sweeper has been a great experience. A successful sweep is predicated on him being able to DD at least once, if not twice. I really like Dragonite because his ability is highly beneficial in helping him setup. Lum Berry also catches opponents offguard, allowing for a free DD while they waste a turn trying to use status. Dragon Claw is favored over Outrage because of the prominence of fairy types. I also favor Stone Edge over Extremespeed because of the added coverage and because of the strong priority that Talonflame provides, making ES somewhat redundant.

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf (#RobotLivesMatter)
Ability: Magnet Pull
Nature: Timid
EV spread: 252 Sp Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 Sp Def

Flash Cannon
Hidden Power Fire
Volt Switch
Thunderbolt

Magnezone acts as a counter to strong Steel-types such as Ferrothorn, Scizor and Skarmory. Magnezone is somewhat of a one trick pony on my team, however he sports a decent defense stat allowing him to absorb some hits on a switch in. Magnezone is my team's only source of Electric-type damage. If I don't lead with Landorus-T I usually lead with Magnezone as a solid check to any steel, water, fairy, or rock-type leads.

Excadrill @ Leftovers (armored mole rat)
Ability: Mold Breaker
Nature: Careful
EV spread: 252 HP/ 4 Atk/ 252 Sp Def

Earthquake
Iron Head
Toxic
Rapid Spin

Excadrill provides much needed support to Talonflame and Dragonite. He is also my primary counter to fairy-types and has excellent tools in dealing with them such as Iron Head and toxic. Excadrill is another pivot who can switch into a variety of threatening attacks, sporting a deceivingly high Special defense stat. He doesn't need EV investment to pack a punch with his two STAB moves, either. Adding Excadrill to my team provided it with coherency and my success in battle is often predicated on making sure he is used well.

Manaphy Leftovers (kawaiidesu)
Ability: Hydration
Nature: Modest
EV spread: 252 HP/ 240 Def/ 16 Spe

Rain Dance
Calm Mind
Scald
Rest

Manaphy is an amazing pokemon who requires very little support to completely sweep a team that's not prepared for it. Reaching 328 Defense with this spread, Manaphy easily tanks any non super effective physical attacks. Manaphy also nullifies pokemon relying on status to get their job done. Manaphy is my team's primary special attacker and splits duties as primary sweeper with Dragonite. Upon bringing Manaphy in, if I know my opponent is switching out, I'll set up a Calm Mind before using Rain Dance, however Rain Dance is usually the safer of the two choices to use first. Once any special attacking Electric-types are taken care of, it is incredibly simple to set up with Manaphy.

Talonflame @ Choice Band (josu)
Ability: Gale Wings
Nature: Jolly
EV Spread: 252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 Sp Def

Flare Blitz
Brave Bird
U-Turn
Return

Talonflame is my team's late game cleaner. I prefer Chocie Band over Scarf or Sharp Beak simply because of the extra power. Brave Bird provides excellent neutral coverage on most non-rock, steel, and electric types and is very spammable in the late game once the opponent's team has been weakened. Flare Blitz provides more coverage against mons that Talonflame doesn't need priority against. U-Turn allows Talonflame to scout.

Aaaand that's my team! Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I know my team needs lots of improvements and since I'm still in the process of relearning the meta, any suggestions for replacement pokemon are not only welcomed but encouraged.

Last edited:

Sobi

Banned deucer.
hey there dricart, nice team you got here. rain dance manaphy is a great stallbreaker so i'm glad you're using it although I do have some suggestions that could help optimize your team.

Firstly, I think you should change Landorus-T's spread to 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe. The reason for this is because the current one you are using means that Lando-T is OHKO'ed by Mega Manectric's Hidden Power Ice, and you are also missing 8 EVs, so them going into SpD will turn that OHKO into a 2HKO, allowing it to set Stealth Rock or marginally OHKO Manectric with Earthquake.

Secondly, I think you should go for a Life Orb Excadrill set over the current set you are using because Excadrill really misses out on the crucial OHKO's on Fairy-types such as Clefable and the difference is really noticeable. Alternatively, you could use Latios instead of Excadrill because it gives you a Scald switch-in and a secondary Ground immunity.

Thirdly, I would use a Bold > Modest nature on Manaphy just to make it much more defensive and so that it can set up easily against physical attackers. If you're going to go for a Modest nature though, it's best to use the Tail Glow + 3 Attacks set.

Finally, the recoil damage from Brave Bird + Flare Blitz is going to wear down Talonflame very easily, so an optional change is to go for No Item Acrobatics > Choice Band Talonflame as this helps it clean late-game much more easier as it doesn't have to worry about the recoil it takes, but this is up to you.

Team:

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 Spe / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- U-Turn
- Stealth Rock

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Stone Edge

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Timid Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power Fire
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt

Manaphy @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Rain Dance
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Rest

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP/ 4 Atk / 252 Sp Def
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Toxic
- Rapid Spin

Talonflame
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Sp Def
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird
- U-Turn
- Roost

Team with Latios > Excadrill:

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 Spe / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- U-Turn
- Stealth Rock

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Stone Edge

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Timid Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power Fire
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt

Manaphy @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Rain Dance
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Rest

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power Fire
- Defog

Talonflame
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Sp Def
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird
- U-Turn
- Roost

yo dricart your team is pretty interesting but it still has some bw quirks in it for sure. the first thing i noticed is that your team has no mega which is a massive disadvantage in the current metagame as most megas provide an incredible amount of support. additionally, even though it has excadrill to remove hazards for talonflame and dragonite, your team struggles a lot with stealth rock as excadrill struggles to rapid spin on most popular setters in the metagame without being threatened out itself. for example, heatran has fire coverage which just maims exca coming from an offensive set, landorus t can just click eq, and garchomp which commonly runs offensive rocks and tank also punishes you for spinning with rocky helmet. speaking of which bulky grounds like garchomp, hippowdon, and landorus are hard for you to break through because manaphy is your only real check to them, and without any means of pressuring common switchins like latios it's hard for you to win those matchups, especially given that latios is almost always paired with a ground. coming in on weavile is difficult because manaphy really appreciates having its leftovers to win games and can barely even beat weavile without a scald burn; additionally, weavile can easily pressure out landorus and dragonite even after a dragon dance with ice shard. your other best check to it, talonflame, bisharp turns up against you because you give it a free boost with intimidate and can't really beat it aside from winning brave bird / sucker punch mindgames or getting a scald burn with manaphy. charizard-y, mmedicham, and mgardevoir also basically just get kills when they come in because the team is largely slower and you have to pivot into say mag or spdef exca, which isn't eating up hits - and certainly not fire blasts. you also don't have much of a keldeo switch in as dragonite wants to keep its lum berry and multiscale healthy for a sweep, which it can't really do with stealth rock up, and talon isn't coming in often to revenge it as your difficulty removing stealth rock will make it difficult to keep coming in on rocks - and it certainly can't switch in safely. kyurem-black will also turn up against your squad as it threatens out manaphy and talon, breaks multiscale with teravolt against dragonite, and ice beams into earth powers against excadrill. opposing energy ball manaphy are also annoying to face as they can boost up faster than your own and ko, then tear the team apart with scald / ice beam / eball. finally, beating most stall builds is difficult because you don't have a dedicated breaker of any sort and mega sableye is almost always paired with a heal bell user, so that line of counterplay won't do much work. i think that's enough nitpicking though so let's hop into the rate.

->
i second Sobi's advice of using latios over excadrill but include the use of thunderbolt. latios is a much more reliable keldeo switchin that can actually get rocks off the field without giving free switchins to landorus, garchomp, or offensive waters, and gives you an offensive check to manaphy, keld, and azumarill. excadrill suffers against rocky helmet users and most stealth rockers when it comes to spinning, and isn't really doing much work aside from letting waters come in for free.

-> i think replacing talonflame with mega diancie is also in line with making the team usable in the current metagame. even with the addition of latios, your team struggles overly much with preventing opposing stealth rock from going up. additionally, magnezone + talonflame is a redundant offensive core that essentially pressures ferro, sciz, and skarm, but that's redundant given that you can just trap them with zone. mega diancie benefits much more from magnezone support to eliminate the aforementioned steels to simply throw out powerful attacks at the opponent's probably physically based walls for dragonite. its magic bounce also benefits dragonite immensely, as it can force mindgames about when you will or won't switch in to stop stealth rock from going up. you also need a mega to be competitive in the oras metagame without exception. finally, it can check sd bisharp at near full health by protecting and then resisting sucker punch.

an easy way to improve your matchup against weavile from an offensive perspective is to use extreme speed over stone edge on dragonite. stone edge has very niche coverage that hits togekiss and zapdos super effectively, but little else. after a dragon dance and stealth rock damage, extreme speed will outprioritize weavile's ice shard and knock it out. you can also consider outrage to get certain kills against say keldeo, manaphy, and garchomp from near full health which is also quite helpful for the squad. an adamant nature also is really best to get the aforementioned extreme speed ko on weavile and keldeo, but jolly can be used if you're paranoid about manectric, lopunny, and mega alakazam.

finally, i'd change your set to a more offensive stallbreaker on manaphy, using ice beam to help your matchup against common stall builds. mono scald coverage is easily beaten by most stall, and provides pokemon like latios completely free switches into manaphy as they're not too afraid of a scald burn and can use draco meteor or psyshock freely as nothing on your team enjoys coming in too freely on it (for the record, neither did exca as it was 3hkod by hp fire). it can also improve your matchup against charizard-y, mega gardevoir, and mega medicham, all of which run + speed natures at base 100 speed. energy ball can be run instead if you prefer to have another offensive check to waters, in particular rotom-w.

minor nitpick, but 24 speed evs would be a great addition to ensure you speed creep volcanion that are trying to speed creep min speed lando and 44 speed rotom-w. this allows you to knock them out instead of being forced out into latios. yache berry might better the matchup against manectric, weavile, and lopunny as well.

after the changes, i think that the team has a much better matchup against most offenses in the current metagame and has a much more defined goal of a dnite / diancie sweep after fairies have been trapped. the team is a tad weaker to electrics as are most offense teams, but i think that it's been successfully adapted to the current metagame and refined to do what it needs to. other alternatives include hidden power fire latios / manaphy / diancie if you're concerned about mag being hit with a superpower, as is keldeo / azu over manaphy but that would worsen your matchups against stall overly much, i think. be careful against serperior though, to not let it set up too far

gl broski n_n

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet / Yache Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 8 SpD / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Earth Power
- Protect

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt

Manaphy @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Tail Glow
- Rain Dance

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- Recover
- Defog

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Dance

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)