Offensive Suicune Team

Well, with all the new changes about to take OU by storm thanks to BW2, I was kind of in half a mind as to whether I should bother with an RMT. However, I've been working on this team for a while, and I've really come to like it. So, I've come here to see if I can get any further advice on it, to make it the best it can be.

The whole idea of this team began, I guess, when I wanted to see if I could form an effective team around Suicune. Problem was, I had often used the Crocune set and, while it would occasionally pull off a sweep, it was far too often simply dead-weight for my liking. However, after some testing, I found that the Offensive Calm Mind set was really excellent, and I believe it's actually a lot better than it's 'once famous' Crocune set.

Anyway, while I was testing out Suicune, I also started putting together some partners that I thought would work well with it. One of the very first ideas I had was to tack Suicune on to the CeleTran core. Celebi + Heatran already have excellent defensive synergy, and Suicune just completes the basic yet effective Fire-Water-Grass core. Furthermore, I found that I could utilize Celebi's fantastic Tinkerbell set to Paralyze stuff faster than Suicune, while Heatran could set up SR, as well as being a specially bulky pivot.

This is where things got a little tricky. I knew that Suicune's best opportunity to sweep would definitely be late-game; things would need to be weakened if Suicune was going to manage to clean up. Thus, I gradually caught on to another, wall-breaking core - though two of it's three members I'm sure everyone is familiar with. Yes, I found that CB Scizor + Scarf Rotom-W was incredibly effective at mounting offensive pressure, and building steady momentum over a match. However, I also tacked on a Choice Specs Latios, which works exceedingly well with Scizor and Rotom-W, as full-on Wall-breaker, with it's powerful Draco Meteors and such.

Anyway. Enough of that, here's the team:

Suicune @Leftovers
Pressure
Timid - 4HP/ 252 Sp. Atk/ 252 Spe
-Calm Mind
-Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam
-Hidden Power [Electric]

So yeah. The center piece of my team, and it's really pretty simple. You come in late game, you Calm Mind as much as the situation allows, you smash as much as possible. the only thing I'm unsure about this set is whether I should be running Life Orb or Leftovers; LO does give a much-needed power boost, but I find that even un-invested, Suicune's defenses are good enough for Leftovers to be really useful. I've also toyed with the idea of Hidden Power [Grass] for Rotom-W, but Electric is just so nice to surprise the likes of Gyarados, who think you're running Crocune.

Celebi @Life Orb
Natural Cure
Modest - 232HP/ 240 Sp. Atk/ 36 Spe
-Thunder Wave
-Leaf Storm
-Hidden Power [Fire]
-Recover

I really love Celebi. I mean, I've used it in just so many teams, and I swear to god, it has never disappointed me. Celebi's job in this team, like Suicune's, is simple; that is, Paralyze anything that's fast, and whenever the situation calls for it, smash stuff with Leaf Storm/ HP Fire. Rinse, "Recover" and repeat. As I mentioned earlier, Celebi also functions as a great pivot for Suicune, resisting the grass and electric attacks that it's weak to (most notably Rotom-W, which Suicune hates with a passion).

Heatran @Leftovers
Flash Fire
Calm - 248HP/ 252 Sp. Def/ 8 Spe
-Lava Plume
-Stealth Rock
-Protect
-Toxic

Specially Defensive Heatran acts as a real 'glue' member of this team, performing several important roles. Firstly, it sets up Stealth Rock - always important. Secondly, it has Toxic to wear down walls that Suicune might otherwise have trouble beating. Additionally, what with Heatran's Steel typing, it acts as a reasonable dragon resist, if I find I need something to sponge a Draco Meteor/ Outrage or the like. Finally, as mentioned above, it just fits in so well with Celebi defensively, literally resisting every single type Celebi is weak to (and vice versa).

Scizor @Choice Band
Technician
Adamant - 248HP/ 252 Atk/ 8 Spe
-U-turn
-Bullet Punch
-Superpower
-Pursuit

I almost feel like explaining CB Scizor is completely redundant - EVERYBODY knows what it does. But still. U-turn is a handy scouting move, and Bullet Punch is great for picking off weakened stuff. Superpower for hitting the occasional Ferrothorn/ Magnezone etc, and Pursuit mainly for trapping the Lati twins, and maybe Gengar. Seriously though, Scizor provides another good dragon resist, and is just an excellent revenge killer in general. Additionally, with Celebi's Thunder Wave, U-turn becomes even more deadly as Scizor finds itself able to actually Out-Speed stuff, and spam this powerful scouting attack to it's fullest.

Rotom-W @Choice Scarf
Levitate
Modest - 4HP/ 252 Sp. Atk/ 252 Spe
-Hydro Pump
-Volt Switch
-Hidden Power [Fire]
-Trick

The other half of the infamous 'Volt-Turn' core, Rotom-W finds itself on this team for several important reasons. Firstly, as my teams' resident Choice Scarfer, Rotom-W finds itself able to Out-Speed and kill or cripple a lot of things that otherwise threaten my team. In addition to that, Trick allows me a means of getting past walls that I can't break, and of course, Rotom-W just has great synergy with Scizor, giving me that great Volt-turn combo.

Latios @Choice Specs
Levitate
Timid - 4HP/ 252 Sp. Atk/ 252 Spe
-Draco Meteor
-Surf
-Hidden Power [Fire]
-Trick

Latios rounds out the team, by giving it a real kick in terms of power. There's not a lot in OU that can take a specs Draco Meteor, and those that can probably can't take a Surf or an HP Fire. Along side Rotom-W +Scizor, Latios gives my team fantastic wall-breaking power, as alongside it's great offenses, Latios also provides a second Trick-user on my team to troll would-be walls as much as possible. In this way, it means that (if I play my cards right) I should be able to break down the likes of Blissey/ Chansey and other problematic walls, and open up for an end game Suicune Sweep.

Well, that's my team. Any and all comments are appreciated, and if you're reading this - a big Thank you for taking the time to read all the way through to the end!

:)

Sayonara

don't forget
Hey, Frostfire. Nice team.

I notice a weakness to Offensive Dragon Dance Dragonite. It can come in and start setting up, which allows it to start a sweep. Celebi can't do much to Dragonite, same thing for Heatran. Since your Suicune is not using a bulky spread, it can be taken out by a boosted STAB Outrage from Dragonite. After a Dragon Dance, Dragonite outspeeds your whole team, at the exception to Rotom-W, who can't do much to Dragonite anyways. To fix this problem, I would opt for Hidden Power Ice over Hidden Power Fire on your Rotom-W. It can outspeed +1 Adamant Dragonite, and then revenge-kill it with a Hidden Power Ice. Hidden Power Fire is mainly used to beat Ferrothorn anyways, but your team can handle Ferrothorn pretty well (Latios, Celebi, Heatran and Scizor), so Hidden Power Fire isn't needed on your Rotom-W. To help deal with Dragonite even more, I would recommend CroCune (see set below) instead of your Offensive Suicune. This way, Suicune can take hits better, which is accentuated after a few Calm Mind boosts. This set also utilizes Rest to gain all its health back, making it hard to take down. With Sleep Talk, it can continue boosting up or start dealing damage. Scald becomes really powerful after a couple of boosts, and Suicune becomes hard to take down. If you can get a burn with Scald, you can even beat Ferrothorn. While Offensive Calm Mind Suicune is a good set, CroCune strengthens your present FWG core (Suicune - Heatran - Celebi). On the long run, your team is at an advantage. A last change I would recommend is you swap Latios' Choice Specs for Life Orb, and swap Trick for Recover. It will be able to live longer, and not be forced into using only one move. You already use 2 Choice Pokemon (Scizor and Rotom-W), so I think that is enough Choice users. In addition, Recover is a nice and reliable source of recovery. Cool team, and good luck!

Suicune @ Leftovers | Pressure
Bold Nature | 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Scald | Calm Mind | Rest | Sleep Talk

Summary of Changes:

Hidden Power Fire for Rotom-W ---> Hidden Power Ice
Offensive Calm Mind Suicune ---> CroCune
Choice Specs Latios ---> Life Orb Latios

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)