ORAS Ubers Offensive with Kangaskhan-Mega (1500+)

Hi all, Jirachirite here with my second RMT. (The first one is a failure XD) I started playing competitive Pokemon since May 2014 and Ubers is the tier that I enjoy playing most. I like playing Offense and after playing the standard HO team with Mega Salamence I decided to build a team featuring one of my favourite but less-used Mega, Mega Kangaskhan. After some laddering I daresay I'm pleased with my team, and also made it to the top 500 (Elo rating is about 1500+ range) with my alts Jirachirote and Jirachirite3 (generally any alts with Jirachir(a/e/i/o/u)te and Jirachirite(number) are all me). However, like any other teams, I'm sure there is still room for improvement.

TEAMBUILDING PROCESS

So I started off with this great Mega and Primal Groudon to be my SR setter. Its neat typing also allows it to check Geomancy Xerneas.

A Darkrai check is also needed so Banded Ho-oh is chosen to be the sleep absorber. Plus, being a wallbreaker works out fine for my team too.

Arceus is also pretty much on almost every Ubers team. So after some thought, I decided to go with Rockceus instead of the splashable Ekiller as a check to flying mons, especially Ho-oh.

With Ho-oh, removing entry hazards is essential so I turned to Latias which has good bulk boosted by Soul Dew.

Initially I thought of Genesect to provide momentum mainly with its STAB U-turn as well as to check Xerneas and the Latis. But after some laddering I decided to change to scarf Yveltal and then to a bulkier Yveltal to better take on physical attackers.

Now onto the team.

Kangaskhan (F) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Earthquake
- Frustration / Return
- Sucker Punch

The Mega of the team. The main reason why anyone should be using this beast here is beacuse of the +3 Priority move Fake Out which can actually hit considerably hard. Unless you are playing defensive or stall, priority moves are very important in landing the first hit to weaken and finish off opponents. Hence Sucker Punch is also chosen. Worst-case scenario, sack a mon before finishing off with a Fake Out + Sucker Punch. Sounds gimmicky but it works sometimes. STAB Frustration hits hard, enough said. Earthquake to hit the omnipresent PDon and other mons like Klefki and Dialga. EV spread is standard; max Attack and Speed with an Adamant nature to hit harder since she won't be outspeeding any important threats in particular with a Jolly nature. Most Ubers titans also go for more power anyway. 4 Def EVs to prevent the opposing Genesect from getting an Attack boost.

I used to run Crunch with Sucker Punch in XY to hit ghosts hard, but this really limits your coverage, which becomes more significant in ORAS. Anyway, I have 5 other mons here to deal with ghosts. Power-Up Punch also limits coverage and Khan usually does not get to stay in the match forever to keep that +2 boost anyway. Low Kick is pretty neat for Ekiller but I already have Ekiller checks. Ice Punch is cool for MegaMence but other than that a very niche move overall.

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Lava Plume
- Roar

A reliable SR setter and a GeoXern check. Earthquake over P.Blades for accuracy, Lava Plume for the occasional burn hax and for steels like Scizor and Ferrothorn. Roar over Thunder Wave because Substitute GeoXern seems to become slightly more common. Oh well, that para hax shall be missed. Dragon Tail is also pretty neat on incoming Latias, but it defeats its role to check Xerneas. Now I know SR setters should not be weak to Ho-oh and some PDons run Stone Edge for Ho-oh. While I agree with this point, I have Rockceus in my team so it shouldn't be too bad, and unfortunately you can only run 4 moves. Classic SpDef PDon set to check Xerneas, with 8 Speed EVs for some speed creep lol.

Ho-Oh @ Choice Band
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 208 Atk / 52 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Brave Bird
- Earthquake
- Sleep Talk

What can I say, Ho-oh is another beast that everyone should prepare for. Moveset is pretty standard, with Sleep Talk being there to check the opposing Darkrai. Regenerator is also awesome for providing Ho-oh some longevity. The EV set is ripped off from the Smogon forums to survive a +2 Thunder from Xerneas or something. Hence, should PDon be weakened Ho-oh is here to help check Xerneas.

Arceus-Rock @ Stone Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 180 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Judgment
- Will-O-Wisp
- Calm Mind
- Recover

I just realise that there are quite a lot of flying mons in Ubers tier and the Rock typing is actually pretty good offensively. Yveltal, MegaMence, Rayquaza, Lugia and especially Ho-oh have to watch out. Even PDon, whose secondary Fire typing allows Judgment to do some neutral decent damage. Defensively it can resists ESpeed and Double-Edge from Ekiller and Megamence respectively which is also neat. Will-O-Wisp to further cripple physical attackers and disable Multiscale Lugia. Originally I run Toxic also to cripple bulky mons like Lugia and also to win in longer matches but then I switched to Calm Mind, which allows it to win late-game, as well as providing it some SpDef boosts to better take hits from Xerneas and the Latis. Recover for longevity. 248 HP EVs for general bulk, 180 Spe EVs to outspeed regular Gengar, the rest into Def to better take on physical attackers like MegaMence.

Latias (F) @ Soul Dew
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Defog
- Recover

Another rather easily splashable Pokemon with Soul Dew increasing her viability in Ubers. If you need a reliable defogger you can count on Latias, although you should watch out for PDon with Dragon Tail/Claw when switching in. Psyshock for some damage and Recover for longevity which is essential for support mons. Originally I ran Healing Wish for the nice function of fully reviving a teammate, but it doesn't really fit and switched to Draco Meteor instead. A rather easy decision, since Draco Meteor hits hard when boosted by Soul Dew. A standard fast bulky set with a little power creep. Speed is maxed in an attempt to win speed ties with the opposing Latis, regular Gengar, and the like.

Latias over Latios for the extra bulk. Giratina-O is another reliable defogger, with the same ability Levitate allowing it to be immune to Spikes and PBlades. However, the lack of reliable recovery does not appeal to me, and one of its function to be able to tank physical hits is already being fulfilled by the last member of the team, Yveltal.

Yveltal @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Sucker Punch
- Taunt
- Roost

Standard physical tank set to better handle PDon, MegaMence and Ekiller with their boring boosting moves. Sucker Punch also comes in handy to beat the Latis and Mewtwo. Taunt to force Lugia and the incoming Xerneas to use only attack moves. Rocky Helmet over Leftovers to further punish those physical attackers with their contact moves. Originally I ran scarf Genesect but it does not provide much utility overall, so I changed to scarf physical attacker Yveltal for the surprise element. (It isn't too bad because Knock Off hits really hard with max Atk and Dark Aura, plus it can also knock off that irritating Power Herb) But after some thinking, I finally changed to the physical tank set which provides more usefulness to my team overall.
Threat List

Too lazy to think but all I know is that Mega Lucario is a bitch. Another less-used (lousier?) Mega but do not underestimate it.

Importable

Kangaskhan (F) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Earthquake
- Frustration
- Sucker Punch

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Lava Plume
- Roar

Ho-Oh @ Choice Band
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 208 Atk / 52 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Brave Bird
- Earthquake
- Sleep Talk

Arceus-Rock @ Stone Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 180 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Will-O-Wisp
- Calm Mind
- Recover

Latias (F) @ Soul Dew
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Defog
- Recover

Yveltal @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Sucker Punch
- Taunt
- Roost

Here are some replays for your reference.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-210039244 (vs Ducky88)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-209696278 (vs Pomman)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-209571992 (vs DracoMaster Pain)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-209535761 (vs TheDementedCube, still using scarf Genesect here)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-213177656 (vs antacool)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-213178845 (vs Megalvatron)

Also a quick thanks to Lord Outrage for the suggestions of using bulky Yveltal and running CM over Toxic on Rockceus.

Alright guys that is the end of my RMT. Your rates and suggestions are very much appreciated. I also apologise in advance if I am unable to reply immediately as I am enlisting soon and hence won't be available all the time.

Thanks so much for reading, and I hope you all enjoy this team as much as I do! :]

Last edited:
I would suggest sassy nature and throw the 8 speed into defense for groudon. In case you meet a bulky primal kyogre lead, you dont want to be faster and lose your weather. Other than that it is a pretty solid team!!:D

Yo Jirachirite whats up m8.
First of all,This RMT layout wise and in terms of descriptions is so well done and good looking.I really like to be able to read everything and understand the builder.
Anyway about the team.It's a good team.I remember you showed it to me in pm on the Server and I suggested a couple of things that you are using like you said.But I would like here to Suggest a couple of more things.
1)The offensive duo Kanga/Ho-oh is good,Nothing to add.Also I wont try to replace any since it will just shatter the identity of the team and shift it to classic balanced.
2)Your team,which is balanced,lacks a status absorber and a cleric which can be really problematic against other balanced builds good players make who rely on a heavy status spam.While I agree that you have 2 Will O Wisp absorbers in Ho-oh and Primal Groudon but anything on your team can get toxiced so you will struggle hard against toxic.So since I think replacing a Mon for a cleric wont improve this team I think you should run Refresh over calm mind on rockceus just to have an absorber in case of a bad Machup and an all day switch in on lugia who would otherwise toxic anything and leave.
3)Yveltal is Slow,It will not be able to taunt most pokemons who,Like mega sableye have an ability,or are faster like Lugia,arceus forms who might hit you with a toxic and cripple you for the rest of the game or set up which might really end the game for you.What I suggest is to run U-turn over Taunt which is really good when you have a ho-oh+groudon since everything that switches on yveltal get raped by ho oh(Xerneas,clefable...) or by Groudon(Arceus rocks) so that would actually shift your build to a more offensive one and give you really good offensive pressure you can exert as well as making you gain momentum which is priceless.
4)Good Groudon set but run Sassy nature since you have 2 decent Groudon checks so I Don't think a speed creep to outspeed other defensive Groudons is really what you need here since your Groudon serves for other way more important roles than outspeeding other defensive Groudons.
5)About Latias it's a decent set just run 331 or 330 in speed since its all you need imo and take the remaining EV's and throw them in defense or spe attack.
Hope I helped and good luck.

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for the rates so far.

Sassy Groudon is not bad, just in case my opponent decided to lead with PKyogre. It is also unlikely generally that I will stay in on an opposing PDon so yeah I agree that the speed creep on PDon isn't really significant. I also agree that Latias could do with more bulk, perhaps on the special side, to better handle special attackers like Primal Kyogre.

Toxic can also be really annoying to my team and it does forces me to make some switches to prevent Toxic damage from accumulating. However, what I'm concerned about is a scenario where Latios gets a free switch-in to my Rockceus, because the absence of Calm Mind and hence the SpDef boost will mean Rockceus will receive huge damage from a Draco Meteor. Yveltal also does not enjoy switching in to Draco Meteor and the opposing Latios will be able to switch out safely rendering Sucker Punch useless. Ho-oh does not enjoy Psyshock either. So yeah Latios is a pretty big threat. I was also thinking of replacing Will-O-Wisp with Refresh since burns can also be spreaded with Lava Plume and Sacred Fire but usually haxes do not occur when I need them.

I like the idea of U-Turn to gain momentum but currently I am also enjoying the utility Taunt provides so it is also a pretty tough decision to make. I actually run some speed creep on Yveltal to outspeed as many Lugias as possible and also to prevent GeoXern switch-ins from setting up.

Perhaps I will try to ladder more and test out your suggestions to see whether Refresh and U-Turn will be more beneficial overall if I have the time to do so.

Come on guys keep the suggestions and ideas flowing. This is one of my better teams that I am sharing here. I may not be a truly fantastic player and we all know ladder ratings are not exactly something to be very proud of. However, I sincerely hope this RMT will be more successful than my first one. Let us optimise this team together and make this team a really good team! :]

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)