Offensively Oriented OU Team

Credits for 3D Models: http://www.pkparaiso.com/

Offensively Oriented OU Team:

Hello guys! Today I would like to hear from you guys, your opinions on my OU Team. First of all let's start with the Teambuilding Process.

1. Teambuilding Process

I started my team with Charizard (Charizard Y to be exact) just because I knew how dangerous it was by me previous experiences that I had with this thing (Biggest threat to my previous team: Here). With the combination of good speed and great power, Charizard (Y) certainly is a threat in the current OU metagame. (Even with that pesky 4x weakness to Rock-type moves (Stealth Rocks))

Metagross is a force to be reckoned with. Even now that it's weak to Ghost-type and Dark-type moves because of the new XY mechanics, it still has a nice niche in the OU Metagame. It has a vast movepool consisting of great coverage moves and a humongous Attack and Defense stat (135 and 130 respectively). And let's not forget Assault Vest, a new toy that Metagross can play with this Generation.

I was intending to put a wall, at the current stage, on this team but I really felt like making a really offensive team that day so I thought it would be a good idea to include Greninja. With an outstanding ability and great Speed / Special Attack I was pretty sure that I wouldn't be disappointed. In addition I created a decent core with Metagross / Greninja / Charizard.

I don't want to make this a solely offensive team. Let's instead put a 'Tank' which still has amazing offensive capabilities but it can also act as a decent Mixed Wall. Tyranitar was the first 'Tank' that popped into my mind so I decided to throw him in and see how it goes. With great stats all across the board I can't see why Tyranitar should not be included on my team. (Even if Charizard (Y) has Drought)

What pairs well with Tyranitar's sand? Terrakion. Fast, powerful and.. well fast and powerful. Terrakion was always a big threat in OU and XY is not an exception. It has an amazing combination of movepool and stats that just cannot be ignored.

I never like to make a team entirely based on a certain aspect as I don't find it really effective in my opinion (Something that I also said on my Teambuilder Guide on my channel). So I thought to include Latias to not only have a decent wall but to also balance out the Electric-type weakness that I have. In addition I wanted something to get rid of Stealth Rocks for Charizard.

2. The Team

Lizardon (Charizard) (M) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Air Slash
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Roost

Standard and powerful as hell! Air Slash is there for STAB purposes and for things that are either immune or resist that powerful STAB, sun boosted Flamethrower / Fire Blast. Solarbeam is there for Water-types that wall the hell out of Charizard like Rotom-Wash or Gastrodon. Lastly, Roost for recovering from Stealth Rock or just recovering in general. The EV spread is standard, so is the Nature and to be honest, it's the best spread that Charizard can run. But you might notice that the HP IVs are weird. ''Why 30 and not 31?'' I hear you say. 2 words. Stealth Rocks. By having 296 HP you can switch in 2 times on Stealth Rocks and still survive. (Or that's how I think it works (divided by 8 but not 16: 296/8=37 but 296/16=18.5. Can someone confirm this?))

Mecha-Kumonga (Metagross) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Clear Body
Shiny: Yes (White x Gold *.*)
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Bullet Punch
- Ice Punch / Hammer Arm

I love this thing. It might not sound good in theory (Well that what I thought when I first saw this set), but you will soon find out how decently this thing works in execution. With Assault Vest, Metagross becomes a complete Tank on the special side.
Calcs:

• 252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Metagross: 213-252 (58.5 - 69.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252 SpA Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Metagross: 192-228 (52.7 - 62.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 4 SpA Heatran Lava Plume vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Metagross: 158-188 (43.4 - 51.6%) -- 9.4% chance to 2HKO
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoking Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Metagross: 273-322 (75 - 88.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Metagross: 234-276 (64.2 - 75.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

As you can see Metagross can take a lot of special hits with an Assault Vest intact. So on to the moves. Meteor Mash is a great STAB with high power and nice secondary effect. Earthquake for Heatran and Aegislash. Bullet Punch for priority and for that nice STAB boost. And at last Hammer Arm or Ice Punch for coverage.

I TOAD YA (Greninja) @ Life Orb / Expert Belt
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- U-turn
- Dark Pulse
- Surf

Even though I have a Charizard Y on my team which has Drought, Greninja is still really dangerous. With 377 Speed (Timid Nature - 252 Speed EVs), Protean and Life Orb, Greninja is a force to be reckoned with. So on to the set; Ice Beam for Dragons and for STAB, U-turn for momentum and STAB, Dark Pulse for coverage and STAB and lastly Surf for well... STAB. You can have a STAB bonus in every single of your moves. Not only that but with Protean you can play some nasty mind games like changing to a Type that the opponent can super-effectively hit with his current using Pokemon so they are forced to switch out and from there you can either U-turn out or predict their switch and hit 'em with one of your remaining moves.

Mrs. Godzilla (Tyranitar) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 156 SAtk / 252 HP / 100 Def
Quiet Nature
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit

Even with not its Mega Stone, Tyranitar can still be a really viable member of your team. With this set you not only have the ability to catch off guard things like Gliscor, Landorus, Dragonite, Genesect, Ferrothorn, Forretress, Lucario etc. (Ice Beam - Fire Blast) but also set up Rocks and Pursuit trap the Eon Twins, Gengar etc. I'm not even factoring sand, which really helps Terrakion, Metagross and Tyranitar itself. I have Leftovers in this set just because to be honest ya, I always Mega Evolve with Charizard and I don't find Mega Tyranitar really that different to regular Tyranitar.
With that EV Spread you can (Not factoring hazards):

Calcs:

• 156 SpA Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Landorus-T: 348-412 (91 - 107.8%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
  • 156 SpA Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 368-436 (103.9 - 123.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO​
  • 156 SpA Tyranitar Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Genesect: 372-440 (131.4 - 155.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 156 SpA Tyranitar Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ferrothorn: 316-372 (89.7 - 105.6%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
  • 156 SpA Tyranitar Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn: 232-276 (65.9 - 78.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 156 SpA Tyranitar Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Forretress: 536-632 (151.4 - 178.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 156 SpA Tyranitar Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Skarmory: 238-282 (71.2 - 84.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 156 SpA Tyranitar Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Skarmory: 160-190 (47.9 - 56.8%) -- 41% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 156 SpA Tyranitar Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Lucario: 238-280 (84.6 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Red Bull (Terrakion) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Justified
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Spd / 176 Atk / 80 SAtk
Naive Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Terrakion is a threat to any team. But it has counters, that's for sure. But with this set you can check the 2 main counters to Terrakion; Gliscor and Landorus (T). How? With Hidden Power Ice. Especially with this spread you can:

Calcs:

• 80 SpA Expert Belt Terrakion Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 226-269 (63.8 - 75.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal
    • 80 SpA Expert Belt Terrakion Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Landorus-T: 216-254 (56.5 - 66.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
The other 3 moves are standard for Terrakion. Close Combat and Stone Edge are there for STAB purposes and because there are 2 really strong moves and Earthquake for Aegislash, Heatran etc.​

Space Chief @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Roost
- Thunderbolt
- Defog

And at last, Latas, the one and only wall of my team. The set is standard except that I have Thunderbolt instead of Psyshock for Charizard Y and Azumarill. Dragon Pulse is there for STAB purposes, Roost for recovery and at last Defog for getting rid of hazards especially for my Charizard. The EV Spread / Nature for Physically Defensive Latias are standard as well.
(PS. Can I have a cool nickname for Latias? :P)​

3. Replays
(More coming soon)

4. Importable

Lizardon (Charizard) (M) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Roost

Space Chief @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Roost
- Thunderbolt
- Defog

Mecha-Kumonga (Metagross) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Bullet Punch
- Ice Punch

I TOAD YA (Greninja) @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- U-turn
- Dark Pulse
- Surf

Godzilla (Tyranitar) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 156 SAtk / 252 HP / 100 Def
Quiet Nature
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit

Red Bull (Terrakion) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 176 Atk / 80 SAtk
Naive Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Thanks for stopping by my RMT. I would really like a rating / suggestion.
Thanks and have a nice day! :]

Last edited:
I love your Godzilla-themed nicknames. I saw Mecha-Kumonga and was like, "hmmm, was that a Son of Godzilla reference"...then Mrs. Godzilla popped up and I knew.

Your question of Stealth Rocks on Charizard:
Due to the 4x rocks weakness, charizard actually takes 1/2 of its HP when it switches-in right? As a result, if his HP is divisible by 2, it will die after two switch-ins (barring roost and other damage of course). Give him exactly 297 and he can switch in twice and still have 1HP remaining. You should change the IV to reflect this: 31 IV gives 297.

Consider HP Fire for your Greninja. The nice thing is that its power increases with Drought (in case drought is still on the field) and, like surf, it also gets STAB!

You mentioned sand and sun being a thing that is a concern to you, but I would actually argue that the constantly changing weather might be an advantage to your team, keeping foes from being able to glom-on to your weather for a free boost. It will also make Greninja more viable since sand removes the sunny day water-nerf. It will also most certainly help protect your metagross from any smartass HP-fire pokemon trying to ruin your day.

Use the life orb on Greninja (you're offensively oriented, after all--go for those big hits) and name the Latias "Space Chief".

I am just concerned that a lot of this team's viability relies exclusively on being different or unpredictable. If you find a foe who can catch-on really quickly and retaliate accordingly, you might have trouble.

Thoughts?

I don't usually rate teams, but I'll give it a go. The only thing is that I think it might be bad that you don't have a scarfer. Has that not affected you in battles? Maybe you could scarf terrakian? Just something for you to ponder about.

I love your Godzilla-themed nicknames. I saw Mecha-Kumonga and was like, "hmmm, was that a Son of Godzilla reference"...then Mrs. Godzilla popped up and I knew.

Your question of Stealth Rocks on Charizard:
Due to the 4x rocks weakness, charizard actually takes 1/2 of its HP when it switches-in right? As a result, if his HP is divisible by 2, it will die after two switch-ins (barring roost and other damage of course). Give him exactly 297 and he can switch in twice and still have 1HP remaining. You should change the IV to reflect this: 31 IV gives 297.

Consider HP Fire for your Greninja. The nice thing is that its power increases with Drought (in case drought is still on the field) and, like surf, it also gets STAB!

You mentioned sand and sun being a thing that is a concern to you, but I would actually argue that the constantly changing weather might be an advantage to your team, keeping foes from being able to glom-on to your weather for a free boost. It will also make Greninja more viable since sand removes the sunny day water-nerf. It will also most certainly help protect your metagross from any smartass HP-fire pokemon trying to ruin your day.

Use the life orb on Greninja (you're offensively oriented, after all--go for those big hits) and name the Latias "Space Chief".

I am just concerned that a lot of this team's viability relies exclusively on being different or unpredictable. If you find a foe who can catch-on really quickly and retaliate accordingly, you might have trouble.

Thoughts?
Glad you liked the nicknames :]

I thought as well of having HP Fire on Greninja instead of Dark Pulse. I will think about it and maybe I'll change it (when I add more replays)

I will change the IVs to 31 so it adds to a 297 overall HP stat. I still don't know why I put 30 on it. (Miscalculation I guess or just a random moment that I had while I was making this team)

Thanks for your advice I will always have them into consideration while battling and before I forget, thanks for the nickname :]

I don't usually rate teams, but I'll give it a go. The only thing is that I think it might be bad that you don't have a scarfer. Has that not affected you in battles? Maybe you could scarf terrakian? Just something for you to ponder about.
I had a Scarfed Terrakion before I changed it to Expert Belt as I found to not be that useful and that the opponent can always take advantage of you being choice locked. In addition it creates a nice bluff when you have an Expert Belt intact as it can lead to some amazing change of events where the opponent thinks you are a Scarf variant when you are not. (it works with Keldeo and Genesect, why not with Terrakion which most of the time is a Scarfed variant)
Nonetheless, thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it! :]

As of now I:
  1. Changed the HP IVs on Charizard.
  2. Added a nickname on Latias and changed its Attack IVs to 0.

Again, Thanks!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)