Official Speedcubing Thread

I just got into speedcubing and figured out it would be nice to have a place for speedcubers on Smogon to gather and discuss speedcubing (I really hope there are speedcubers on Smogon, I have zero idea if there is lol). If you don't know what speedcubing is it is bascially solving a Rubik's Cube as fast as possible, and not just the regular 3x3x3, but also 5x5x5, 2x2x2, and even stuff like 3x4x5. Feel free to share PBs for any sort of cubes, how you got into cubing and your goals and progress, and so on.

I'll start myself saying that I just started to get into speedcubing a few days ago, and I have to say it is really fun. So far I only have a standard cube that you buy at a toy store, but I plan on getting a better one soon. I'm learning CFOP right now (not planning to branch out from 3x3x3 any time soon), and I am decent at the cross, and yesterday I started learning f2l, and quickly getting better at it. I only know super basic OLL, but I know 2-look PLL which I'm decently happy with, although I also really want to learn 2-look OLL asap. PB is 1.08.45 with a really lucky scramble and with a beginners techinque, not really going to look at how fast I do it now until I get way better at f2l. That's it from me for now, happy discussing :)

Last edited:

Fusxfaranto

gonna smoke five blunts and watch anime
I've been cubing for around 4 years now, I've collected around 40 different puzzles. My 3x3 PB is 13.30 but I average around 23 seconds nowadays. I was practicing BLD recently (PB around like 5:14), but then college happened and I haven't been keeping up. I'm sure there's more people on Smogon that speedcube as well, it's not that uncommon.

I got a little into speedcubing after I got a job at a math camp. I never wanted to take the time to memorize all of the top layer stuff so I got into the Roux method, where you do top corner orientation and permutation all at once and memorize those but that's it, the rest is block building and kinda improvy, plus it looks cool toward the end as you use the middle slice more. Best I was able to do with that was ~45 seconds. My brother got me a Megaminx, the dodecahedron, for Christmas, and I find that fun if I want to take a long time. Can't speedsolve it very well, but locally it looks like a 3x3.

I've been cubing for around 4 years now, I've collected around 40 different puzzles. My 3x3 PB is 13.30 but I average around 23 seconds nowadays. I was practicing BLD recently (PB around like 5:14), but then college happened and I haven't been keeping up. I'm sure there's more people on Smogon that speedcube as well, it's not that uncommon.
That's quite the imptessive puzzle collection and a good PB. I haven't dared look at BLD yet, but it must be awesome to solve a cube without watching.

I got a little into speedcubing after I got a job at a math camp. I never wanted to take the time to memorize all of the top layer stuff so I got into the Roux method, where you do top corner orientation and permutation all at once and memorize those but that's it, the rest is block building and kinda improvy, plus it looks cool toward the end as you use the middle slice more. Best I was able to do with that was ~45 seconds. My brother got me a Megaminx, the dodecahedron, for Christmas, and I find that fun if I want to take a long time. Can't speedsolve it very well, but locally it looks like a 3x3.
Cool to see someone use Roux, I prefer CFOP although OLL and PLL algs are a pain indeed. I don't even know how I should start solving a megaminx, it looks like a monster.

Personally I just got my first speedcube in the mail, alongside a 2x2. My PB is already lowered to 44.15, and I got ao12 record at 56.xx. It feels amazing compared to Rubik's brand. My f2l currently needs a ton of work if I can hope to get sub-50 with an ao-100 though.

I don't even know how I should start solving a megaminx, it looks like a monster.
When I say locally it looks like a 3x3, I mean at each corner it has 3 sides with 3 units per side. So you'll find that you can do a lot of the f2l stuff you do on a 3x3 with a megaminx, and as long as you have the space to move things around, controlled inserting makes a lot of sense too. Only the top layer is even a little bit of a pain, but with 3x3 experience you have the tools to start working. Give it a shot sometime, it's relaxing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)