Oh, behave! Here comes the rain again!

DA LEAD/RAIN INDUCER

Sapo Clyde (Politoed) @ Damp Rock (Name in english: Clyde Frog)
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Focus Blast
- Encore
- Perish Song
The Rain inducer. Scald is to burn everything physical that dares to go first/hit hard other stuff. Focus Blast makes a hole through Tyranitar, but it doesn't ohko's it. Encore locks stealth rock and other status users, and perish songs ends succesfully any sub baton pass or powering up strategy. Rest is definitely viable, but I'm having problems finding what to replace. It prolongs the drizzle inducer's life

PHYSICAL/SPECIAL TANK/HAZARDS

Viene el OVNI (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers (Name in english: Here comes the UFO)
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SDef
Careful Nature
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
Ferrothorn is back to his beloved Rain environment. Rain gives him a chance to survive fire attacks. Power whip surprises magic bounces waiting for a Stealth Rock and blasts through water types. Leech Seed trolls anything that isn't grass. Stealth Rock is priority, but can
wait if I think something nasty will switch in. Thunder Wave works well with Leech seed by paralyzing and sapping hp, and of course,making the enemies a lot slower.

STAT HEALER/VOLT ABSORBER

Dr. Nick (Lanturn) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 Def / 52 HP / 204 SDef
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Thunderbolt
- Heal Bell
- Toxic

This thing is surprisingly good. It can take hits, and heal the entire team in a pinch. Scald is for all those nasty physical attackers, Thunderbolt for all those flying and water, also offers nice coverage. Heal bell to, well, heal. Toxic is to annoy anything that resists water and electricity (Rotom W).

PHYSICAL ATTACKER

Zoolander (Mawile) @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 132 HP / 124 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Substitute
- Fire Fang
- Sucker Punch

This mon is new to my team (Had one metagross before, I really hope he gets a mega evo in the future :D). The physical attacker with absurd attack. He loves the rain's fire damage reduction Intimidate gives a little defensive advantage when switching to a physical attacker. Play Rough is awesome for STAB and Has nice coverage. I'm doubtful about the other three moves. Substitute prevents status and freakin will o wisp. Fire Fang for steel types (scizor, ferrothorn etc). Sucker Punch saves its life in case the foe is a lot faster (which is 95% of the time). I need some advice with more moves. The other viables moves are Stone edge/rock slide, Brick Break, Thunder Punch, ice punch, and pain split

FAST RAIN SWEEPER

Sabroson (Ludicolo) (M) @ Leftovers (Name in english: Big tasty?)
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast

He loves the rain. He needs speed. With awesome typing, he can take some hits. Swift Swim grants him super speed that only scarfed mons can surpass. Giga Drain hits hard water types (Rotom Wash's bane) and prolong his existence. Scald hits hard and can disable physical types without decent spdef. Ice beam leaves serious damage on some dragons and earth types, maybe OHKOing them. Focus Miss ensures coverage to dark types hitting hard as usual. Leftovers can be always replaced with expert belt or life orb to hit harder

LATE GAME SWEEPER

Ya llegó el mago (Alakazam) (M) @ Focus Sash (Name in english: The magician is here)
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
By far my favorite mon of all time. Alakazam has superb sp atk that nukes everything he touches. Psyshock makes blissey and fighting types say oh god why. Also OHKOes nonfocus gengar. Focus Miss destroys (or completely misses) iron, rock types and maybe dark types. Shadow ball for all those pesky ghosts. Dazzling Gleam is his new move (he had hidden power ice before). Exclusively for dragons, fighting, dark and everything he cant normally hit. The focus sash guarantees his survival from a faster/high priority move like shadow sneak from aegislash. However I still think about that dazzling gleam. Leave with it or use hidden power ice?
PROS:
  • Good Synergy between mons
  • Works well with or without drizzle
  • Stealth rock/leech seed/paralysis/toxic users in it
  • Physical and Special attackers
  • Water has nice coverage
  • has Alakazam in it

CONS:
  • Mega Charizard X is a threat since it can mega evolve, replace the rain with sun and proceed to solarbeam/burn most of the team
  • No rapid spinner
  • Too many sp. attackers? (Only physical are Ferrothorn, Mawile and Alakazam's Pshyshock)

OTHER OPTIONS FOR THE TEAM: Blissey/Chansey, Azumarill, Trevenant, Mega Kangaskhan, Starmie, Tentacruel, Heliolisk (dry skin), Rotom W (have no idea where to get one with Hydro pump), Scizor, Greninja.... any other ideas?

Conclusion:
I've always liked rain teams. They've granted me a good amount of wins in the simulator. The thing I like about rain is the synergy with all the pokemon. Also the versatility of each pokemon make this team special.

I would really appreciate your opinions and critics so I can improve the team and my gameplay. Thank You.

Last edited:
If I could make 2 slight improvements to the team

1) Give Politoed Rest. This provides longevity for your weather summoner and goes well with your cleric. This can also give you an easier time if M-Zard X is out

2) Replace Scald with Hydro Pump on Ludicolo. The extra power provided is very nice. This is just a personal preference because I know a lot of people don't like using it but I feel the extra power can help against walls.

I've had terrible experiences with hydro pump. Also I prefer scald for its burn.

Rest on politoed hmmm....... which move should I replace then? Encore works well with entry hazard and sub leads. Perish song stops baton passes. Focus blast helps me beat ferrothorn and tyranitar

CONS:
  • Mega Charizard Y is a threat since it can mega evolve, replace the rain with sun and proceed to solarbeam/burn most of the team
  • No rapid spinner
  • Too many sp. attackers (Only physical are Ferrothorn, Mawile and Alakazam's Pshyshock)
So now on to your team :) 1st: I will recommend you putting Rest on your Toad like SuperMegaUltra said!With rain being nerfed this gen you would like to prolong your weather inducer's lifespan.. (You could try a RestTalk set or just take out Perish Song (It's better on the Scarf said imo)
2nd:Why don't you put Kingdra as your swift swimmer?I guess because Ludicolo has better coverage...I dunno
3rd:Why don't you put T-wave on lanturn and take out T-wave from Ferro for protect..With the special set I think you will need it more that T-wave but that's my opinion I guess :p
I hope I helped!Have a nice day!

Also you don't really need a spinner tbh...

Thanks for the advice!
Well, I think I'll try with rest and take out perish, but Idk, I love to put a stop to setup leads like espeon and stuff. How about taking out focus blast?
Kingdra. Kingdra seemed good at one point, but that thing is really frail and has poor movesets. Tried already with it, and didnt like it. Also with all dem fairies out there (azumarril laughs at kingdra's face unless it's running hp electric), now he has 2 weaknesses, and no poison move to defend.
I prefer lanturn with toxic since people like to throw rotom w and ground stuff, and toxic has more coverage against the common lanturn switch ins. Ferrothorn likes twave cuz a people like to switch into fast pokes when hes around. That's my opinion of course

Thanks for the advice!
Well, I think I'll try with rest and take out perish, but Idk, I love to put a stop to setup leads like espeon and stuff. How about taking out focus blast?
Kingdra. Kingdra seemed good at one point, but that thing is really frail and has poor movesets. Tried already with it, and didnt like it. Also with all dem fairies out there (azumarril laughs at kingdra's face), now he has 2 weaknesses, and no poison move to defend.
I prefer lanturn with toxic since people like to throw rotom w and ground stuff, and toxic has more coverage against the common lanturn switch ins. Ferrothorn likes twave cuz a people like to switch into fast pokes when hes around. That's my opinion of course
I agree with most of that but don't you think if you take out F-Blast (This sounds kinda dirty) you will have trouble checking t-tar and ferro??Well you have it on Alakazam but still :/ Oh well I guess it k.. ;p

yeah. I can deal with ferro with encore or perish, but ttar tanks pretty easily scalds. That's when focus becomes handy. aaahhh choices choices...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)