Oh no, it's electric (Peak # 1445)

So I've been playing competitive pokemon for about 2 months now, and after doing pretty well with this team (making it somewhere in the top 30) I figured I'd post it. Now when I first got into this game I wanted to stick to a balanced team because I didn't want anything mainstream, however the more I played the more I realized that the winning playstyle was something proactive. Then came along Cold Stone 22's team which he posted on the forums, after trying it and failing (lol), I became obsessed with subDD Dnite, and before I knew it I was trying to implement it into all styles of play to see what I liked best. After alot of testing (and falling in love with BU Breloom), I found rain to be my favorite (no surprise there). I liked Stone's team alot, and so then I decided to build this..

The team is built to suit my playstyle, as I like the ability to play at any pace. Dnite and Breloom pivot attacks that my aggressive special attacking core do not like. The team has multiple ways of winning, blah blah blah. on to the team!

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
248 HP/84 Sp Def/176 Spe
Nature: Jolly
Dragon Claw
Roost
Substitute
Dragon Dance

Pivoting against strong scarfed fighting/ground attacks, Scizor/Rotom, and my out to SubDisable Gengar/Alakazam. Dnite helps my game against sun teams immensly, as after 2 Dances he outspeeds Chlorophyll users not to mention his key resistances. My evs allow me to outspeed Jolteon/Choice Scarf Politoed after 1 DD Dance, as Jolt can be a major threat to this team and I don't want it stopping my sweep/momentum. Also of note is Dnite outspeeds scarf Terrakion after 2 Dances.

Politoed @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Drizzle
252 SpA/4 Def/252 Spe
Nature: Timid
Hydro Pump
Ice Beam
Focus Blast
Perish Song

This is a Drizzle team, so I need not explain much on Toed. Lum Berry Dnite is pretty much reason enough to run a scarf set. As without it this team's chancing of winning dwindle by a lot. Scarf also allows for late game sweeps at times. Not much else for this guy.

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
252 SpA/4 Def/252 Spe
Hydro Pump
Ice Beam
Thunder
Rapid Spin

With a team using Dnite and Tornadus, a spinner is without question. Considering this is an offensive rain team, there is no better option than Starmie. People underestimate this guy alot and I surprisingly sweep pretty consistently. One of my favorite members of the team, it just does so much. From softening pokes for Tornadus, spinning rocks, killing defensive walls that pressure Dnite and Loom, getting surprise kos thanks to rain boosted LO Hydro Pumps, this thing is amazing.

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
236 Hp/212 Spd/60 Spe
Nature: Careful
Drain Punch
Seed Bomb
Spore
Bulk Up

I hate Dugtrio, it's a great pokemon, but when your opponent isnt using weather it's pretty much dead weight. Not to mention it can be a poor SR'er at times considering this guy can come out at awkward times (ie not the begginning of a game). sorry if I'm hating on Dug guys, ANYWAY. I needed a pokemon that could kill the things Dug could, but NOTHING could match what it did, and this team was nothing until I got my eyes on this set thanks to whoever made it. Breloom couldn't trap anything, but it had the longevity to last all game until the time came where I put my opponent in a lose/lose situation (usually via BU). Spore also puts things to sleep which allows this team to switch gears and go aggro. If I'm lucky enough to spore an out to whatever poke I'm trying to sweep with, I can then force trade offs of pokes until my sweeper trumps their sleeper. Shutting down physical set up sweepers after a BU or 2 this team would be nothing without Loom. Also Loom induces the opponents SR'er so Dnite and Tornadus can come in free of charge all game.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
252 Hp/212 Spd/44 Spe
Nature: Careful
Iron Head
Thunder
Wish
Stealth Rock

I needed Rocks bad, as well as a steel type. Then Jirachi hit me and I havent looked back. Paralysis support and wish support really aid Dnite, and Wish keeps Tornadus/Breloom alive longer. In fact, I've won a fair amount of games off of simply wishing Tornadus a few times and spamming Hurricane (any team not using Chansey can only take so many). Stuff Latias/Latios doesn't phase me thanks to Rachi. Any hope Reuniclus has of beating me (Especially TR) dies with this guy on my team.

Tornadus @ Choice Specs
Ability: Prankster
252 SpA/4 Def/252 Spe
Hurricane
Focus Blast
U-Turn
Tailwind

The heart of the offense. I'd guesstimate 30-35% of my wins are thanks to this guy just cleaning everything up. I had Rain Dance on him but I opted for U-Turn because T-Tar + Celebi gives me a hard time. Tailwind allows me to get over DDance users that threaten to sweep me/Scarf users. Most of the time all Tornadus does is spam Hurricane at mother fuckers.

The team is pretty weak to physical set up sweepers in general. Although I can dance around them if I play right, it's still rough at times and like I said before, prediction is key. I've tested U-Turn on Jirachi to help with Wish/Celebi but oddly enough I've opted to stick with Iron Head. I guess you could call Dnite/Loom/Jirachi my defensive core as they cover eachothers weakness' rather well. Idk what else to say in this RMT lol

The team takes good predicition skills to succeed with it, big weakness' are Salamence, Lucario, Weavile, Scizor, Starmie, etc. I gotta give props to Stone Cold considering the team is so similar to his. I'm probably gonna retire this team and work on something new as all the predicition can get tiresome but nonetheless I think peaking in the top 30 is pretty good for only playing this game a few months.

I'll post a threat list tomorrow.

You could always try Sub/BU Tornadus to set up on physical set-uppers that give your team issues. It hits astoundingly hard. And change Breloom to a subpunch set.

I guess that would kind of defeat the purpose of having Tornadus on a Rain team, though it would be unexpected.

Starmie looks like it could be a huge painful your team if Jirachi goes down since it gets BeamBolt which hits for super effective on all your team members save Jirachi. If it's a set built for Rain with Thunder it's going to be an even bigger threat.

To fix this I suggest a Defensive Gastrodon in place of Breloom, it can defeat the opposing weather setters and outstall them since it resists both their STABs and gets STAB SE damage on Tails and TTar with Earthquake. I suggest the physically defensive set.

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Trait: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold / Relaxed
Earthquake
Recover
Surf
Toxic

You might have a larger Grass weakness but your whole team resists Grass after the Waters.

Starmie looks like it could be a huge painful your team if Jirachi goes down since it gets BeamBolt which hits for super effective on all your team members save Jirachi. If it's a set built for Rain with Thunder it's going to be an even bigger threat.
Not necessarily, it looks like starmie is tough on paper but thats "if" jirachi goes down... well yes................... thats the same with any other pokemon. you have jirachi for it, your own starmie at a speed tie, and if worst comes to worst you can sack tornadus for tailwind and kil it from there. Speaking of which i like the tailwind idea, especially since if you can predict a heatran switch in (hurricane does virtually nothing to it) and focus miss isn't reliable so thats good.

Some of the weaknesses you've outlined are ctually covered as long as you see them in team previw and prpare accordingly. Scizor won't like hydro pumps to the face, salamence won't like ice beams from both toed and starmie, nobody uses weavile, period. SD lucario is trouble, you would have to keep toed with as much health as possible to take him down with hydro pump while he extremespeeds.

its hard to pick holes in it so nice team

Not necessarily, it looks like starmie is tough on paper but thats "if" jirachi goes down... well yes................... thats the same with any other pokemon. you have jirachi for it, your own starmie at a speed tie, and if worst comes to worst you can sack tornadus for tailwind and kil it from there. Speaking of which i like the tailwind idea, especially since if you can predict a heatran switch in (hurricane does virtually nothing to it) and focus miss isn't reliable so thats good.

Some of the weaknesses you've outlined are ctually covered as long as you see them in team previw and prpare accordingly. Scizor won't like hydro pumps to the face, salamence won't like ice beams from both toed and starmie, nobody uses weavile, period. SD lucario is trouble, you would have to keep toed with as much health as possible to take him down with hydro pump while he extremespeeds.

Exactly, the team has quite a few pokes that give it trouble but it's not too hard to play around them.

Gastro has nothing on Loom honestly, Gastro will just slow the game down and Starmie isn't that big of a problem to me. Loom has fantastic synergy with Spore, it PIVOTS ROTOM (which I find to be huge for this team), and BU forces your opponent to always make crucial moves. If someone were to convince me to drop Loom from here then they'd be convincing me to make a new team all together.

Edit: Also, Starmie only does around 75-80 on Loom so at full health it kills starmie, my starmie can speed tie a thunder to kill it, I can sac Tornadus, if it's 70 or less my Dnite outspeeds and kos after a ddance, not to mention jirachi beats it.

Hey there! You have a great rain team (brings back memories) but there are a couple things I would fix:
Instead of sub/roost on DD nite, i would have fire punch. This helps you destroy grass/steel types before you even set up rain. That way, the rest of your team can function smoothly. You said you used your ddnite to counter subDisable gengar, but many vairants run taunt also, and you don't want your only attacking move to be disabled.
I would also give Tornadus a life orb instead of specs. You don't want to be stuck on tailwind while another tornadus comes in and abuses your rain.

Oh, and switch jirachi's iron head with water pulse. It does more in tye rain, and has a 60% chance to confuse. Change the nature to an atk lowering, sp def boosting nature (if you do not already have that)

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Thunder
- Water Pulse
The following set would be a welcome addition to your team. This set alows much better Rain Abuse and a tiny bit more power than Iron Head. However, it removes Stealth Rock from the team. An alternative set could be:
Jirachi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
-Wish
-Stealth Rock

- Thunder
- Water Pulse

Hey there.

This team could greatly use a physical wall. Threats such as Double Dance Terrakion and SD Scizor can tear through this team quite easily. Since Tornadus also hits incredibly hard on the special side, I highly suggest that you replace Starmie with a Tentacruel. Tentacruel is a great asset for any rain team, constantly restoring its health with Rain Dish an Leftovers. It also retains the Rapid Spin support that Starmie provided, and also has access to Toxic Spikes, allowing you to defeat stall teams more easily. It can also defeat many physical attackers, making it a great fit for your team. It also can help Breloom in taking on Volt-Turn teams, as Rotom-W won't be doing much with Volt Switch, and it can scout moves from other common Pokemon on Volt-Turn teams, such as Landorus, with Protect and act accordingly.

Tentacruel @ Leftovers
Ability: Rain Dish
252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Bold nature
-Scald
-Toxic Spikes
-Rapid Spin
-Protect

Finally, in order to help with your weakness to SD Toxicroak, run Psychic over Focus Blast on Politoed. Hydro Pump will usually hit harder than Focus Blast anyway, and threats such as Ferrothorn can take it pretty well. Psychic lets Politoed score a surprise kill on SD Toxicroak, outspeeding it and being able to live a +2 Sucker Punch.

Solid team. Hope I helped, and good luck!

Hey

Solid team man, it is definitely well-built. Although your teams lacks a Ground-type mon, making you open to Electric-type moves. This could be really problematic, as Calm Mind Jirachi under substitute sweeps you cold with Thunder and Psyshock. It easily sets up on Jirachi, Breloom, Dragonite , Politoed (locked into Ice Beam) and Tornados. Your best choice in this situation would be able to hit Hydro Pump with Starmie and potentially breaking its substitute for Politoed. Opposing Jirachi can easily stall out 8 PP Hydro Pump as well making the potential situation even worse. To overcome this dilemma, I would recommend you to switch Tornados with Physically Defensive Quagsire. Quagsire has the ability to take on most physical attackers in the metagame. Thanks to Unaware, this loveable dolt simply ignores any stat boosts your opponent might have obtained, restores any damage with Recover, and proceeds to poison the foe with Toxic, consistently healing up as they slowly perish. Scald is usually his attack of choice, as the 30% burn rate cripples physical attackers for the entire match. Earthquake is a great secondary STAB move, allowing him to dish out a decent amount of direct damage alongside the residual damage Quagsire is known for. It also hits Steel-types that are immune to Toxic. The EVs maximize Quagsire's physical bulk, helping him tank physical attacks thrown his way. The remaining EVs are placed into Special Defense, though powerful special sweepers can still punch holes through our harebrained hero. A Relaxed nature maximizes Quagsire's Defense while lowering his Speed, as his defenses and offenses are all more important than his already abysmal Speed. Leftovers is the standard item on a defensive mon to recover consistent amount of HP. Quagsire gives you insurance against Salamence, Lucario, Weavile, Scizor, Jirachi, Scarfty among many others barring crits. Above Physical mons could be easily stalled out by mighty Quagsire 1 on 1 but in Starmie's case you'll need to stall out it's Hydro Pump in order to be golden, which could be easily done with good switches and predictions. I didn't bothered replacing Dragonite instead of Tornados because it is your secondary sun check alongside Politoed. You'll definitely miss to spam Tornados's Hurricane but it was just a dead weight, while Quagsire checks so many threats and provides you with an electric immunity.

Quagsire (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Recover
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Toxic

For some other minor changes something like Hidden Power Grass would fit in perfectly over Focus Blast on Politoed. HP Grass allows you to effectively revenge opposing Starmie and Rotom-W with ease. As Politoed switches into an incoming Hydro Pump aimed at Quagsire, after entry hazard and LO recoil HP Grass should be good enough to OHKO standard Starmie. On Jirachi, I don't see the point of running Thunder with -Special attack nature, to fix this I would change its nature to Sassy which lowers its speed, boosts special defense and allows you to hit Iron Head and Thunder hard. Paralyzing opposing mons is the key for your Dragonite and Breloom to sweep efficiently which is easily achieved with the new spread. Jirachi tanks all Grass-type moves aimed at Quagsire and Quagsire supports Jirachi's ground weakness, both of them make an effective synergy for your teammates. Also congrats on the rank in such a limited time. Overall brilliant team, Good Luck!

Politoed (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Hydro Pump / Surf
- Ice Beam
- Perish Song
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Jirachi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Thunder
- Iron Head
- Wish
- Stealth Rock

Thanks for the fixes guys, I'm definitely going to try these out, I'm especially intrigued by Quagsire.

Bump, anyone else?

Also in response to all the different Jirachi sets, I've tried them all extensively ever since I first added her to the team and Iron Head and Rocks are just two moves I can't do without. Water Pulse without Calm Mind is pretty bad. If anything I'd give her Icy Wind over Pulse.

Nova

snitches get stitches
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

i'd like to point out that Specs Hurricane 2HKOs Offensive Tran with rocks up which is far from "virtually nothing"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)