ORAS OU Olympus Balanced

duckpond

There's no way
is a Tiering Contributor
This is the first team I try to create.
I wanted to make it around Mega-Latias, because it's a powerful offensive set, but can also take hits with a bulky spread

Then, to cover the main weaknesses of Latias I chose Excadril, because in can deal well with fairies and with Tyranitar and Bisharp, the two most common dark types, it also offers spin support

I then saw a weakness to Crawdaunt, not the most common pokemon, but pretty powerful, so I put in Breloom, that can spore around and hit for super effective damage Dark types

By now nothing can touch Ferrothorn, so here we are with HP Fire Magnezone to trap it, or volt switch out if needed

Next problem was Landorus-t, Latias can set up on it if Lando is choice-locked in something that is not U-turn, but otherwise I would lose to it, so Azumarill seemed a good counter

I added then Kyurem-Black because it is hell strong and it can also OHKO Landorus, and two ways to deal with it are better than one

Hera (Latias-Mega) (F) @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Def / 36 SpA / 56 SpD / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Roost
- Substitute

This spread gives enough bulk to be able to set up on many pokemons unable to hit Latias for super effective damage, if you picup the KO behind the sub you can then fire off another Stored Power even if resisted by the opponent. Roost is for longevity. CM is to set up and raise Stored Power strenght and Substitute block statuses, that are shut down Latias completely. Of course it is walled by dark types and x4 resists such as Metagross

Pluto (Excadrill) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin
- Iron Head

Scarf Excadrill is a good revenge killer but also a strong physical attacker, able to do big damage to many Pokemons of the tier, the spread is purely offensive to maximize the damage dealed, the double STAB covers many weaknesses and Rock Slide can hit flying Pokemons immune to Earthquake. Spinning on a switch or on a slower Pokemon can bluff being not scarfed and so force the opponent to switch again.

Dionysus (Breloom) (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Tomb
- Mach Punch

Breloom is a very good lead. The couple Spore + Focus Sash let you attack at least twice. Mach Punch can OHKO Bisharp and offensive Tyranitar and revenge kill in the late game. Bullet Seed 2HKOs Mega Slowbro with at least three hits. The spread is again purely offensive, Breloom is quite frail and trying to make it bulky would leave nothing to Attack and Speed, so the sash makes the work.

Zeus (Magnezone) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Analytic
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 164 HP / 252 SpA / 92 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon

Analytic magnezon is never seen around but I find it very powerful, mostly because steel types usually do not even try to switch out and then Magnezone can hit back quite hard. The movepool is quite standard: HP Fire for Ferrothorn and other steel-type, dual STAB combined with Choice Specs to get tons of damage, Volt Switch to get out of the way if the situation is dangerous. The spread is quite bulky, enough to take some hits and full Special Attack to hit back.

Aphroditae (Azumarill) (F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Azumarill is another revenge killer with Aqua Jet, but also a powerful attacker thanks to Huge Power. The Assault Vest let it take special hits with no worries. The spread is bulky-offensive, 252 Atk to maximize the damage, 16 Spe to outspeed other Azumarill with no speed investments and the rest in HP. The movepool is pretty standard: priority, double STAB and Knock Off, that is never a bad move and can be used if the opponent is switching, without having to predict what is coming because almost nothing likes to lose its item.

Ares (Kyurem-Black) @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Fusion Bolt
- Iron Head
- Ice Beam

Kyurem-Black has an absurd attack, nothing wants to switch in on it. The Special Attack is also usable: even with Adamant Nature and no SpA investments Ice Beam can OHKO Landorus-T, Gliscor, Salamence, Garchomp and even Dragonite at full since Teravolt doesn't care about Multiscale. Dragon Claw is STAB and can do tons of damage to everything, Fusion Bolt and Rock Slide are for the coverage. I tried with a bulky-offensive spread, but I always needed more speed, so I changed to an offensive one, with 200 Speed to outspeed adamant Excadrill, as suggested by firehusky

Hera (Latias-Mega) (F) @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Def / 36 SpA / 56 SpD / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Roost
- Substitute

Pluto (Excadrill) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin
- Iron Head

Dionysus (Breloom) (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Tomb
- Mach Punch

Zeus (Magnezone) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 164 HP / 252 SpA / 92 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon

Aphroditae (Azumarill) (F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Ares (Kyurem-Black) @ Life Orb
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Fusion Bolt
- Iron Head
- Ice Beam

Feel free to live any suggestion. Again, it's my first team so I don't know how viable it is.

Last edited:
Your team has to tread lightly when facing Mega Altaria. If he manages to set up a Dragon Dance, he can pretty much steamroll your team, having a guaranteed OHKO on 5 out of 6 of your pokemon. Even the one who might survive, Azumarill, has a chance of going down from one hit (and this doesn't even assume Stealth Rocks on the field, which would secure the OHKO):

+1 192+ Atk Pixilate Mega Altaria Return vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 364-430 (90.7 - 107.2%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

Even though Excadrill is faster, he still can't OHKO it:

252 Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Iron Head vs. 64 HP / 0 Def Mega Altaria: 248-294 (80.7 - 95.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

The residual damage needed is harder to find because your team lacks a stealth rock setter.

Might I suggest replacing Breloom with Amoongus?

Amoongus @ Black Sludge
Nature: Bold
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP, 136 Def, 120 SpD
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Foul Play
- Clear Smog/Sludge Bomb

With Amoongus, you don't lose the God-like Spore, and it adds a defensive pivot to your team (because it looks like not a lot of Pokemon on your team can take a strong physical hit).

Also, he deals with Mega Altaria quite handily:

+1 192+ Atk Mega Altaria Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 136+ Def Amoonguss: 156-184 (36.1 - 42.5%) -- 94.6% chance to 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery

He can either Clear Smog to get rid of the boosted threat or Spore to put him to sleep.

Hello duckpond! I loove mega lati, and this team is very creative. I made an in depth review of your team and got some test battles with it!

In the vid I say you need to change the set on Kyurem, or get rid of it. It hits like a truck, but you need to run speed in order to not get out sped.

I agree with Tableforrambo, you need a rock setter. Each mon is a threat on this team, but if you do not have rocks, the residual damage that you need in order to score the essential KO's or break sashes is not there.

This team needs more speed control/ speed in order to do better. Whilst getting some practice matches, I had multiple situations in which I wanted some more speed on lati or on Magnezone.

As stated by the person before me, M-Altaria ABSOLutely wrecks this team especially cause you have analytic on magne over sturdy.

Also banded t-flame wrecks this team, so I suggest the following changes to your team.

Change kyurem-B to t-tar. It provides more synergy with the team and provides a defensive pivot. Use this spread:

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch
- Ice Beam
- Earthquake

Now, switch the ability on exca to sand rush and replace the item with a lo. Use this spread:

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Then i'd advise placing the scarf on magnezone.

Now you have a counter to t-flame, and the ability to okho altaria!

But overall, pretty decent team!

Last edited:

duckpond

There's no way
is a Tiering Contributor
Thanks for the suggestions. It is true that Altaria cann wreck me up, but it usually take one hit on the set up and onother one on the turn after it KOs something, so it doesn't seem a big problem by now, maybe because I'm a bit down on the ladder.
I tried to use Amoongus and it fits very well in the team, having another answer to Altaria, but in some battle I wish I had Breloom; it's a 50-50 about which is more useful in the match.
I also tried Tyranitar and Sand Rush Excadrill, but I just ended up losing every time to Landorus-T, and the Stealth Rocks damage that it took every time it U-Turned out was not enough.
And thanks for the video :)

Hi duckpond, interesting team!

On breloom, I'd recommend replacing Swords Dance with Rock Tomb. Rock Tomb allows you to nail talonflame on the switch, as well as being a nice move to use on the switch after you spore something, as it lowers speed and is also technician boosted. On magnezone, I'd also recommend running Magnet Pull instead of Analytic. Most of the time, your opponent might not switch if their steel-type is trapped, but on PS!, it'll have the message "ferrothorn is trapped and cannot switch", so if you don't have magnet pull, they won't get that message so they'll be able to switch out. Most of the steel-types that magnezone traps are slower than it anyways (ferrothorn, skarmory) so analytic will not activate against them. Another thing I suggest you to try out is Choice Band over Assault Vest on Azumarill. Choice Band allows azumarill to hit much harder and is a much more reliable way of defeating mega sableye. CB azumarill can help wallbreak alongside Kyu-B so that excadrill or mega latias can have an easier time sweeping. On Kyurem-Black, I'd also recommend running a spread of 252 Atk / 56 SpA / 200 Spe, and replacing Rock Slide with Iron Head or Outrage. Rock Slide does not hit anything super notable, as flying-types are already demolished by fusion bolt, while ice-types can be nailed with iron head. Iron Head also has the added benefit of beating Clefable. The EV spread maximizes attack, as Kyurem-Black is already very bulky, and 200 speed EVs allow you to outpace adamant excadrill, with the rest of the EVs placed into special attack.

Good luck!

Hey dude, your team looks great! :]
However, on your Kyurem-B, Rock Slide is p. redundant considering you already have Fusion Bolt and Ice Beam. So I suggest either, replacing Rock Slide with Substitute/Earth Power. Substitute helps with taking care of mons that are trying to paralyse you, burn you, (such as Rotom-Wash), etc. With a Substitute Up, you can 2HKO the Defensive Rotom-W set, which is always good :] If you are going to run Substitute, you can run leftovers ith it as well, to regenerate that little bit of health that you lost by making the Substitute. n_n Earth Power can be used over Substitute if you have problems with taking care of Magnezone, Heatran, etc. n_n

Kyurem-B
Item: Life Orb
EVs: 252 ATK / 44 SpA / 212 Spe
Nature: Adamant
- Dragon Claw
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Substitute/Earth Power

The new EV spread is to hit a bit more hard and to outspeed max speed Heatran whilst still hitting hard with Dragon Claw and stuff. n_n
~Nam

duckpond

There's no way
is a Tiering Contributor
I changed Kyurem to full offensive, because the bulk was never useful, and Rock Slide was actually useless, while Iron Head picked up many KOs.
I also put Rock Tomb over SD on Breloom to deal with faster Pokemons

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)