OM Interviews (#26: OM room)

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
#2 Magnemite: The PU Master

Hey
Hi

How did you get into competitive battling?
When I was younger, I always lurked Smogon for general Pokemon information. Since soon after I started playing Pokemon at the beginning of DPP, I always wanted to get into competitive battling, but never got around to breeding ingame and was never aware of how easy it was to battle on simulators. Eventually, about two and a half years ago (towards the end of BW), I found PS and started to get into competitive battling. As with just about everyone, I was really bad at first, but I eventually started to become active on Smogon a few months later and everything just went from there. In XY I started out playing OU, as it was the only XY tier that existed at that point. Eventually I found C&C, which is where I met a decent amount of the people I know today. Eventually, I got a ladybug through C&C work in OU, and then once RU came out I started playing that a lot. I got quite into RU from then on, until early August when TRC told me that PU was just coming out, and that we could both get into that. A few of my other friends also got into it, and then we were picked for the PU council.

What attracts you to PU?

Probably how open it is to undiscovered things. Higher tiers have already long established what's good and what isn't in the tier, and PU has too for the most part, but there's still a decent amount of unexplored stuff to use. Note that this doesn't mean that everything is viable, far from it in fact, but if you know what you're doing there really is a lot of untapped potential. Also, PU is a really balanced tier in general, with only one Pokemon that could really be considered broken at this point (Tauros) and only one particularly centralizing Pokemon (Poliwrath). If you're looking for a balanced tier where just about every playstyle you could use is viable, PU is a good tier to choose.

What's your favorite playstyle?
The only playstyle I really use commonly is offense, both hyper offense and just standard offense. I don't really have anything against using other playstyles, but I'm terrible at teambuilding with them so I haven't used them much. I might try and get decent at another playstyle at some point though.

Who's an underrated PU Player?
PU's playerbase isn't really that wide, so it's hard to go that under the radar if you are good and contribute, but I'd say that Kushalos is a bit underrated within the general community, as he doesn't really post much or talk that much in the PU room but is still a good player and goes a bit under the radar in parts of the community.

Any innovation in PU or any cool sets you want people to use?
The thing I really like about PU is that it's a new and relatively unexplored metagame, so it's easy to stumble across something good that not many people have used yet. A good example of this is special Rain Dance Poliwrath, which I originally just tried to be funny, but turned out to be actually really good and is now one of the sets on Poliwrath's analysis. As for underrated sets that I think people should try and use more, I'll just list a bunch: Jumpluff, SubSalac Simipour, SD Lickilicky, Fast Stealth Rock Torterra, Clefairy, SubRoost Articuno, DD Fraxure, Choice Band Luxray, Seviper, and plenty more things.

What advice would you give to players who want to get into PU?
Probably to be active in the PU room. The PU room is a good place to go if you have questions about what's good in the tier, want your team looked at, or just want to get acclimated to the tier. Also, we have quite a few forum resources to help you get started in the tier.

Bouffalant (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Substitute
- Return
- Stone Edge

Golem (M) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch

Tangela (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Basculin (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Ice Beam
- Zen Headbutt

Mr. Mime (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam
- Healing Wish
- Trick

Regice @ Life Orb
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Rock Polish
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
This is a decent team built around SubSD Bouffalant. Basically, the goal of this team is to sweep with Bouffalant against slower teams and with Regice against offensive ones. Everything on my team is pretty standard and is on the team to cover as many important threats as possible. Also I actually run different spread on two of these Pokemon but they're sekrit!

What's the most influential thing you've done regarding PU?
Probably moderating the PU room, sometimes it can out of hand, since with such a new metagame there are a lot of people who need to be helped at once, and sometimes it can get a bit out of hand trying to explain things to a bunch of people at once. I also run the Next Best Thing and the CCAT, and I also made the PU Speed Tiers and PU Role Compendium in terms of resources. My favorite is probably The Next Best Thing because it allows you to examine a specific Pokemon and explore all of its options, possibly leading to the discovery of good sets that no one had thought of before.

What do you have to prepare for to make a successful team in PU?
There are quite a few things you have to prepare for if you want to have a good team, but some main ones are Tauros, Poliwrath and Throh, Water-types (there are a lot of them), Electric-types, Ninetales and other Fire-types, Scyther and other Flying-types, fast / speed boosting setup sweepers, and defensive teams in general. There's a lot more to prepare for than that, but if you cover all of that decently well you should be relatively well off.

What should you definitely NOT use in PU?
If you're new to the tier, you should probably stay away from anything in the C ranks or below in the viability rankings, but as you get better at the tier some of the stuff in C and C+ ranks can be good if you know what you're doing with them. Some standouts that newer players tend to gravitate towards that are really bad are Slaking, Regigigas, Meganium, Gigalith, Ninjask, non-CB Dusknoir, non-CM Dusclops, non-CB Luxray, Lumineon, Swalot (not really that terrible or infamous but kinda high in usage fsr), Glaceon, physically defensive Avalugg (note that Avalugg itself is good, but using 252 defense EVs on it is a HUGE waste of EVs compared to investing in SpD), Assault Vest Regice (actually assault vest on anything that isn't Kecleon), any Electric rodent that isn't Raichu, Persian, Magmar, Gourgeist-Average and Large, Wartortle, and Scarf Raichu. (the last two aren't that bad but i have a personal hatred of them). Just as a general rule, use the viability rankings and don't try to be too innovative until you know the meta well enough.Gourgeist-Average and Large, Wartortle, and Scarf Raichu. (the last two aren't that bad but i personally think they're way worse than everyone thinks they are lol). Just as a general rule, use the viability rankings and don't try to be too innovative until you know the meta well enough.

PU was based on making a UU of NU, now PU got an UU itself in FU. What'd you think of a UU of FU after this month's usage stats?
I'd probably play a few games of it, but I wouldn't get too invested into it. At the very least it would be cool to see what funny things end up being top threats there. I never thought I'd see a tier where Machoke and Vigoroth of all things were broken, so a tier lower than that tier would be kind of funny. Also it's worth mentioning that such a tier would make NU the middle tier, lol.

Which OM would you like to play other than PU?
I've wanted to play FU since I have a few friends who play it, but I haven't really had the time. Other than that, AAA seems kind of fun. I've never been a fan of OM's that try to change too much since they're often hard to get into, but AAA seems like a good balance between too too different and too similar to what I already know.

Do you have any final words?

ban chatot
That's our interview! Feel free to ask questions to Magnemite

Last edited:

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I wonder what qualifies a pu master. :]
Magnemite is a good player and a nice person, second only to me, so I can see why he's called a PU master despite it being a misleading title.

What's a pokemon or set you feel is the most overrated by decent (read: not randomslakinguser1234) players?

Is there a pokemon or set you think has potential but everyone else thinks is complete shit?

What's the shittiest gimmick you've tried running on the ladder to some success?

What pokemon do you always fear from team preview no matter how well you think you've prepared for it?

What Pokemon do you always forget to prepare for?

What pokemon do you always manage to shove onto a team, aside from Poliwrath?

If you could choose to drop a pokemon from a higher tier, which would it be and why? What if you could drop a mon that isn't close to dropping (ie not in the list of muk regirock etc)?

If you could choose between winning a million dollars irl and banning Chatter, do you think Chatot would still be good?

Do you have a life outside of Pokemon and what do you do if yes?

How did you pick the name Magnemite?

Post a replay / snippet of a shitty gimmick wrecking either a good player, yourself, or TRC.

please post a detailed explanation for the following questions because the world needs to know:

mfk TRC Montsegur galbia
mfk Chatot Sneasel Throh

Would you rather have leg-sized fingers or finger-sized legs?

Would you rather have Garbodor + Probopass in the tier or have Tauros + Poliwrath out of it? You can only choose one of the two.

@_@

Magnemite is a good player and a nice person, second only to me, so I can see why he's called a PU master despite it being a misleading title.
lol so many questions. okay here goes:
What's a pokemon or set you feel is the most overrated by decent (read: not randomslakinguser1234) players?
Wartortle is absolute garbage but people seem to think it's viable even when hazards besides stealth rock are really rare post garbodor ban. also scarf raichu because i hate choice electrics that aren't rotom and scarf raichu always haxes me :(
Is there a pokemon or set you think has potential but everyone else thinks is complete shit?
Not really anything that I can think of, but I do think people tend to hate on Zebstrika and Monferno a bit too much. Also people really exaggerate how innaccurate Swanna is sometimes lol.
What's the shittiest gimmick you've tried running on the ladder to some success?
I like running joke teams on the ladder but don't so it very often. Some of my favorite sets have been Life Orb special Autotomize Golem, the classic SD Roselia, and of course the legendary PU room set Life Orb Lumineon.
What pokemon do you always fear from team preview no matter how well you think you've prepared for it?
Tauros and Kecleon I guess.
What Pokemon do you always forget to prepare for?
I usually forget to prepare for stuff like Rotom-F, Misdreavus, and Grass-types, but recently every team I've made has been weak to Ninetales, which has been annoying (though hopefully my newest innovation- spdef rindo berry carracosta- will help this recent team not be weak to it).
What pokemon do you always manage to shove onto a team, aside from Poliwrath?
I use Golem a lot, it checks a lot of stuff because of its typing and sucker punch and the wp sr set is really fun to use.
If you could choose to drop a pokemon from a higher tier, which would it be and why? What if you could drop a mon that isn't close to dropping (ie not in the list of muk regirock etc)?
For things that are close to dropping but probably won't, TOUNCHER because it's TOUNCHER, and for things that definitely won't drop anytime soon, probably Jynx (though Vileplume is a close second) because it has a really cool STAB combination and can do fun sets like sash lead really well.
If you could choose between winning a million dollars irl and banning Chatter, do you think Chatot would still be good?
Chatot would still be good without Chatter because HP Flying is a decent alternative to Chatter and it still has a ridiculously strong STAB Boomburst, but no one would probably use it because everyone who uses Chatot now is a masochist
Do you have a life outside of Pokemon and what do you do if yes?
no
How did you pick the name Magnemite?
Magnemite was my favorite Pokemon that wasn't taken. My first choice was Porygon since Porygon-Z as a name sounds kinda dumb.
Post a replay / snippet of a shitty gimmick wrecking either a good player, yourself, or TRC.
lol i'll gather a bunch of these and post them in a separate post later, and all of them will be against TRC
please post a detailed explanation for the following questions because the world needs to know:

mfk TRC Montsegur galbia
mfk Chatot Sneasel Throh
m galbia f trc k mont

m throh f sneasel k chatot

come on that second one was too easy
Would you rather have leg-sized fingers or finger-sized legs?
lol i don't even know, probably leg sized fingers because it would be funnier
Would you rather have Garbodor + Probopass in the tier or have Tauros + Poliwrath out of it? You can only choose one of the two.
definitely Poliwrath and Tauros out of it, it would be a great way to change up the metagame and stop it from getting stale anytime soon.
god dang that took forever but those were fun questions :]
how do you pick the people that become part of your social group
idk, usually I just pick people whenever I think they'd be good additions to the group. I don't really have a set process. Recently other people have been inviting more people too which is cool, though I think right now the group is about as big as I want it to be.

Last edited:
Why is Kushalos so bad http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-201114893

What keeps you so heated in attacking unexperienced people using terrible sets that would make my grandma cry?

Why have you stopped playing RU @_@

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/3503460/

WOULD YOU USE PORYGON IN PU

Why would you rather ban Poliwrath instead of the truly broken anti-offense Pokemon that is Kecleon?

Rate my innovations Special Poliwrath, Thunderbolt Garbodor, Iron Tail Tauros, Yawn Mega Camerupt, Taunt+Toxic Throh, GASTLY

Who is the biggest Frou-Frou Fox between Robert Alfons and Anty?

Because he hasn't played oras pu much :(
What keeps you so heated in attacking unexperienced people using terrible sets that would make my grandma cry?
I need to defend your grandma at all costs ;;;
Why have you stopped playing RU @_@
Because busy ;_;
lol
WOULD YOU USE PORYGON IN PU
lol i used it once, it actually wasn't the worst thing ever
Why would you rather ban Poliwrath instead of the truly broken anti-offense Pokemon that is Kecleon?
both, but if i had to pick poliwrath because kecleon is moving up due to usage
Rate my innovations Special Poliwrath, Thunderbolt Garbodor, Iron Tail Tauros, Yawn Mega Camerupt, Taunt+Toxic Throh, GASTLY
not as good as my innovation rain dance poliwrath, broken/10,
/10, 7/10, standard/10, and pro/10
Who is the biggest Frou-Frou Fox between Robert Alfons and Anty?
Robert Alfons imo
@_@

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
#3 unfixable the Cacnea Lover

Hi
Hi

How did you get into Pokemon?
Well, I got into Pokemon a few years ago, not exactly sure when though. I thought it was interesting and I thought I was insanely good, because I played it with my best friend (at the time) and we battled and we thought we were just the greatest ever. Later, I found Showdown when, on another website, I joined a league. I was the "Mixed Champion" and was actually quite terrible -- but hey, my opponents used stuff like Giga Drain Breloom to put their skills into perspective! At first when I got into Smogon I just joined because I loved Cresselia and really wanted to write an OU analysis on it. I'll even link that post haha, my very first one O.O. Then I just kinda posted everywhere, and I was a bit (ches)naughty! I ended up being banned... twice. But, I realized I needed to shape up and so one day I came to the OM room. Then, I fell in love! I played AAA and BH at first, and integrated into STABmons! I made a ton of great friends (Shoutout to Peef Rimgar), and just kinda went from there!

You are known for contributing in this forum, but what is your favorite metagame?
My favorite OM is most likely STABmons. Though, I'd have to say that Mediocremons is a close second. STABmons is my favorite OM because I just... like it haha. I don't even know how to explain it; I really just like the metagame. I thoroughly enjoy building teams and there's so much room for craziness, gimmicks, and creativity. Always had a bunch of fun playing it and it's very fun in general. Mediocremons is a close second because, although I'm not very good at it, I had a blast playing it! The whole idea behind it is one of my favorites and the creativity in what appears to be a limited tier is off the charts.

Are there any other Other Metagames you play?
I've experimented in playing BH, AAA, FU, PU, STABmons, Tier Shift, Inverse, and Mediocremons, along with some various OMotMs like Stat Switch and 350 Cup; but, I'm only really good at STABmons and Tier Shift with my regular NU team lol. STABmons is basically my go-to tier because I know it and I'd consider myself a good player for it. Plus I use Togekiss, so I have to be good :heart:

What do you think is the main appeal of Other Metagames?
Well, they're unique! In what other tier is Togekiss ranked above Greninja haha? It's just crazy how the viability of things changes everywhere and it allows you to use literally every single Pokemon; there's always a format for something! Besides Furret.

What do you think of the Other Metas room on Pokemon Showdown!?
I love the OM room a whole lot. Our auth is so nice, they're so kind, and everyone gets along marvelously. I thoroughly enjoy modding the room and there's even an article I wrote about it for the Player which was just released! So go check it out!

What do you think is the most underrated metagame?
Mediocremons is really underrated and I'm a big fan of it, as I've stated before.

Who do you think is the best Other Metagames Forums Contributor?
I have to give best OM Contributor to Eevee General. Seriously, this guy has worked his ass off to make the forums a very enjoyable place; he goes through practically all submissions, he prevents drama, and he's a great guy on top of this! He's also the OM leader haha, so he's bound to be great!

Who do you think is the best Other Metas Pokemon Showdown contributor?
I'd like to thank Snaquaza for being great on Showdown! He hosts a bunch of metagames and are very friendly on top of that. Shoutout to him!

Who do you think is the best Other Metagames battler?

Hmm, good question. As a whole, w0rd is most likely; I mean, he won an XxFinalDestinationxX tour! He's good in pretty much all metagames and great in a select few. Great battler and makes great plays as well.

Then, who is an underrated OM battler?

jeran is a great player and I'm gonna call him a mini-word :heart:. He's very good at battling, won multiple tours, and he's a nice guy from our few chats. He's exceptional in tours oh my! He's a good battler, thinks things over, and has great strategies. He's blossoming!

What have you done for the OM community?

I'm honestly so proud of the OM hub. I worked on it for around three months and have completely revamped it from scratch. I spent like three hours working and correcting the css stylesheet for it and it was just really great to do! I had a bunch of fun all the while! Also quick shoutout to Redew, I never would've been able to HTML anything if not for him. :heart:. I got access to OM submissions earlier this week so I'm going to take time and work on that for awhile. And uh, I host a few threads, but those are in my signature if you're interested.

How's it to get access to OM Submissions?
It's pretty fun! But, it clogged up my alerts at the start! You wouldn't believe how fast people submit these! I got three alerts in the timespan of this interview alone haha. There's a lot of good ideas, and a lot of... interesting ideas. Hoping I can help with the process. The real problem is formatting issues, so I'd encourage everyone to read the rules. There's great ideas all-around, but the formatting is killer.

Lets get back to STABmons, what is your favorite Pokemon to use?

Probopass is a lord! It traps Heatran, Ferrothorn, Skarmory, and whatever else it wants to; it's simply and utterly the best. Literally nothing compares to it. Nothing.

What's your favorite playstyle to use?

Definitely Balance or Hyper Offense. I hate stall!

Could you give a STABmons team that people could use who want to get into the metagame?

Probopass @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Doom Desire
- Earth Power
- King's Shield
- Volt Switch

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- Defog

Kyurem-Black @ Icicle Plate
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Icicle Spear
- Ice Shard
- Fusion Bolt

Togekiss @ Power Herb
Ability: Super Luck
EVs: 88 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 164 Spe
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Oblivion Wing
- Aura Sphere
- Fire Blast

Sableye @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Topsy-Turvy
- Will-O-Wisp
- Parting Shot
- Foul Play

Terrakion @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Close Combat
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ice]
Basically, this team is DragMag and Togekiss with Probopass > Magnezone. It's quite simple to use: break walls with Terrakion then pivot into Probopass to trap Steel-types, then use Sableye to safely pivot into Togekiss / Kyurem to setup and sweep.
A little while ago there was a controversy in the STABmons thread about Slowbronite not getting banned, what's your opinion of it?
Well, I was a bit shocked at the behavior honestly! I can see why there was drama, it was a pretty controversial suspect test, but it was just executed poorly from all sides. I myself was never convinced on banning it, but I decided to stay out of drama. The STABmons council being dissolved was explained by Eevee but I still miss it ;_;7. We had great conversations there and we brought up arguments and such and it was a great time. I respect Eevee's decision though, especially the reversal of our votes.

What do you think of Hollywood's decision to step down as an Other Metagames leader?

Well, it's sad seeing Hollywood step down! But, I'm incredibly proud of The Immortal and Eevee General and I'm so happy for them. They had it coming in the future and I can't think of anyone else better suited for the job!

That was the interview, thanks for helping! Any final words?
unfixable was here. imas is a loser

What other tiers are probopass good in?

How did you know Balance and HO are best?

PS. until now I had no idea Hollywood was stepping down
PPS. it now finally makes sense for your twitter to be in the room intro banner for other metas on showdown

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)