OM Interviews (#26: OM room)

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
am i fren
ye
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\ Contract?
Kyuubey why are you here I thought I banished you to the Shadow Realm and took your job
Was there ever a time when you thought you were very good in a tier, but then something or someone came around and made you look puny?
I'd re-give the RU example but I wasn't very good at that, so not that I remember
Thoughts on Life?
Best board game
Weirdest dream you've ever had?
Several that I can't remember, but there was a recurring series about elmo from sesame street trying to jump out of my computer and eat me if that counts.
Most overrated pokemon?
Probably Charizard, yes it's good but seriously the fanboys for it sometimes
Most underrated pokemon?
Dedenne. How can you not like the electric hamster/gerbil/thing
Most forgettable pokemon?
I'd tell you the answer to this but I forgot it
Most times people have asked you questions starting with "most" in a row?
Biggest pet peeve?
Every time someone misspells my name in a Showdown chat room I have to add that misspelling to my highlights list just in case someone else makes the same mistake
John Cena or Charizard
Charizard.
A flaming John Cena or Mega Charizard X?
A flaming John Cena, because he is on fire, which makes him manlier than other John Cenas. Other John Cenas, on the other hand, are not on fire, which makes them less manly than the John Cenas who are on fire. This is why I picked Zard on the previous question.

(.3.)/

Yes?

idk

He's pretty cool

Ban Diggersbae already

レプタイロさんはとてもかわいいですねえ。

I like mice/rodents, my first game was Pokemon Yellow, put 2 and 2 together.

Why would I do those things to Pokemon lol

キーンさんもかわいいですねえ。

I have no idea

I'm still working on that backdoor for when you run out of Splash PP you autowin

Ph.D. She's 3smart5me

Rule 59

Stop trying. You can't. Or just be like me and laugh at them internally

Horray for being different

Go to a Japanese class for 2 semesters. That's what I'm doing and it's obviously working!

For your information my grammar is completely, 200%, sound.

Pikachu, Goomy, Mew, Dedenne, Marill, shaymin, Eevee, Sign Climbers Plusle, Minun, Pachirisu, Pichu, Audino

I played RU once. I got rekt by The Flaming Spade and stopped after that.

Quash. If I wanted law in my Pokemon games I would've studied it

As stated earlier, I got started in BH by using paranoid stall. My longest battle was 767 turns long, versus myself, with only Magikarps that have Splash. I was unable to save the replay though

Soon® .3.

No, you're skillful and good :]

AT THE VERY LEAST IT MADE ME !GIT GUD
I think you may have screwed up your reply to Deathly. It says (in Romaji) "kinn-san wa mokawaii desu nee." Was that supposed to be "kinn-san wa totemo kawaii desu nee." like you said to The Reptile? unless the "mo" by itself means something I'm unaware of.

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
#7 OM's Godfather: Hollywood

Hey

Hey

How did you get into Pokemon?
I played 'mons as a kid, grew up and kept playing it. I stopped playing it around DPP and got back into it during early BW. I looked up some stuff about the battle subway and found Smogon. I found out about PO on Smogon and downloaded it, but the Smogon server was terrible then and I could never connect, so I got into PO instead. Eventually all my friends from PO left, so I switched to PS and Smogon. I got into OMs through Joimmons actually, which was a pet mod by Joim that had lots of cool changes and I just stuck around because it was fun playing weird metas.

Why do you like Other Metagames?
OMs are just something different. I love theorymonning potential really cool or broken stuff in weird metagames, and it's nice to have a break from standard Pokemon. People should get into them because I will ban them if they don't :pirate:

What do you think of Pet Mods?
They sometimes seem pointless because most of them will never actually be played, but as long as people want to talk about them, they're good to have around. like I said, I'm all about theorymonning, so pet mods are cool.

What is your favorite Other Metagame?
Tier shift, always has been. NU is my favorite Smogon meta, so I know all the Pokemon in it really well. it's fun being able to use NU Pokemon competitively against top-tier OU Pokemon.

What's in your opinion the most underrated metagame?
Honestly lots of them are underrated, even amongst the OM community. I'd probably say Averagemons and Middle Cup are the most underrated. most good OMotMs die off after they lose their ladder, but those two are still really fun.

What's in your opinion the most overrated metagame?
I've never really cared for BH. it's cool being able to innovate literally whatever you want, but I hate not knowing what things do. I know there's an established metagame in BH, but you still can never know for sure what you're up against until it does something. I know I'm gonna get a lot of hate for that too, sorry! just not my thing!

Which OM's activity surprised you the most?
Probably Inverse, in a bad way though. When it was first announced, everyone was all over it, but it died out like within days lol. It's a really cool meta, even though Normal-types are broken in it.

How did you feel when you got OM Leader?
Pretty excited, though @Arcticblast told me a few weeks in advance, so I was ready for it. OM was pretty stagnant at that time, and I tried to shake things up with adding Eevee General to the mod team and starting OM C&C. Unfortunately, OM C&C fell through for BH (not because I hate it!), but we eventually picked it up with PU C&C. Also probably worth mentioning that I went out of my way to get Eevee General on the team because I felt he would have been the best replacement to Arcticblast as OM leader. Unfortunately, he wasn't really integrated within the whole of the Smogon community, so it was better at the time for me to run things until he could take over. The Immortal stepped up a lot since I took over, so I passed the torch onto both of them to co-lead.

What's the most influential contribution you've made to Other Metagames?
Getting OM C&C started and having Joim create the OM submissions subforum.

What's the most exciting thing you've done as OM Leader?
The best thing would be seeing PU C&C come to fruition and exceed expectations. WhiteDMist is a godsend and made PU C&C really effortless on the OM staff part to get running. Thankfully we'd had the framework for OM C&C already established, so getting things rolling with Oglemi was really simple as well. The worst thing would be the backlash from the community for the removal of the Hackmons ladder. We knew it was coming, so we just bit the bullet on it. it was a shitty situation, but at the end of the day, we did what we thought was best for the community as a whole, which is hard to understand from an outside perspective.

Why did you give up your position as OM Leader?
As I touched upon earlier, in an ideal world, I'd have asked for Eevee General to take over instead of me. I love contributing to OMs, but I never really wanted to lead the community on my own. I never really did either. I don't think I made a single decision without consulting EG and TI first. At some point, I realized that EG and TI were pretty much running the show anyways, and I didn't need the title attached to my name, so I passed it down to them.

Which contributor surprised you the most?
Easy unfixable. I think I banned him when he first joined the forums, or maybe I infracted him and then he got banned like two days later. Either way, he was insufferable when he first joined the forums, and since then I've gotten him badged \o/

How's it to be an OM Mod?
The main advantage is that you have the say. if there's something wrong, you have the power to fix it. if there's something you'd like to see, you can make it happen. A disadvantage is that everybody thinks their ideas are amazing, and a lot of people get really defensive when you shoot down the submissions. No one likes hearing that their idea sucks, but someone has to tell them.

What advice would you give to players that want to get into OMs?
I'd say don't force it. Some users post in every thread even though they have never played half the OMs. Figure out what you like and stick with it, if you like lots of stuff, great! If you only like one OM, branch out and try some other stuff, but don't play or contribute to OMs you don't like just to be active.

Any final words?
How Can Metagames Be Real If Pokemon Aren't Real. Thanks for interviewing me!

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
unfixable

top plays on my itunes are:
Fink - Yesterday Was Hard on All of Us
Glass Animals - Gooey
The Front Bottoms - Maps
Keaton Henson - You
The xx - Angels
alt-J - Every Other Freckle

Too hard to pick favorites. I listen to lots of stuff.

Mamp

Hackmons reflecting poorly on Other Metas was definitely a main part in why its ladder was removed. The biggest thing was that we felt the metagame itself was just a less competitive version of Balanced Hackmons. While we don't expect Other Metas to be the pinnacle of competitive metagames, we do hold metagames with permanent ladders to higher standards. Aside from that, the Hackmons "community" trashed the thread so badly that it had to be locked, which certainly doesn't leave a good impression on outsiders looking in.

The Reptile

6spoop276me

Clearly there's a reason you're called Hollywood. What movie did you star in?

What things haven't really been touched much upon in OMs that you would like to see happen?

Would you rather Xx_Final Destination_xX be the OMoTM or be counter teamed every time you go into a battle?

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
JungleB

I played Sharon in the 2009 hit motion picture, Obsessed.

A general greater outreach to the Smogon community. I wanted to broaden our reach while I was leading Other Metas, but I just didn't know how to do it. I still don't really.

I would rather chew sandpaper than either.

Btw your favorite OM (Tier Shift) thread is now quite dead. Will you make it alive?

Also what is your thought about Mega Pinsir and Terrakion in Tier Shift, now that they got boosted for being BL? I'm trying to make a team based on them.

Tips at countering weather teams in Tier Shift?

Do you like classical music?

What's your favorite hollywood movie so far?

Do you feel your life is meaningful?

Does all the questions above annoys you?

Hackmons reflecting poorly on Other Metas was definitely a main part in why its ladder was removed. The biggest thing was that we felt the metagame itself was just a less competitive version of Balanced Hackmons. While we don't expect Other Metas to be the pinnacle of competitive metagames, we do hold metagames with permanent ladders to higher standards. Aside from that, the Hackmons "community" trashed the thread so badly that it had to be locked, which certainly doesn't leave a good impression on outsiders looking in.
So the biggest thing was that you just didn't like it? Anyone who's bothered to play and understand both type of hackmons knows that BH is the less competitive of the two. I like how you use 'community' to describe the two people who trashed the thread. And if you're going to talk about after the ladder was removed, sure you're right, but I can't say I blame them.

So I'd like to really understand what makes you think hackmons is 'uncompetitive'?

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
-Clone-

Probably, but it's unlikely to happen until Gen 7 at the earliest.

Alfalfa

I am Beyonce.

Chopin Alkaninoff

Maybe! I haven't played it in a while, but I should get back into it. Terrakion is probably not quite as good as Mega Pinsir because Doublade is relatively common in Tier Shift, but maybe you can use both of them together to break it down for one another to clean. For fighting weather, I usually pack tons of priority on offense or strong defensive cores on bulkier teams. In the OM Sample Teams thread, I posted a team with a Gastrodon/Heatran/Amoonguss core, and I'm sure it's still really good in ORAS.

I love Vivaldi and Chopin, but I don't listen to classical music often.

Fight Club

Not really, but I'd like to make it meaningful before I die.

Nope!

Cherub Agent

ily :)
Nobody fucks with the Jesus.

EV

Banned deucer.
So the biggest thing was that you just didn't like it? Anyone who's bothered to play and understand both type of hackmons knows that BH is the less competitive of the two. I like how you use 'community' to describe the two people who trashed the thread. And if you're going to talk about after the ladder was removed, sure you're right, but I can't say I blame them.

So I'd like to really understand what makes you think hackmons is 'uncompetitive'?
Nope we're not doing this. You may ask Hollywood another question, but the Hackmons ladder removal is over and done with. Dredging it back up is not going to change anything.

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
Nope we're not doing this. You may ask Hollywood another question, but the Hackmons ladder removal is over and done with. Dredging it back up is not going to change anything.
Favorite dank meme? Lenny? Donger? Cory in the house? Shrek? not the only choices but you get the idea

I was a fair question. What I find most offensive about the whole mess is the outright suppression of dialogue concerning the removal of what was for many people the most entertaining and exiting OM. Even if you guys are right--about everything--the way you suppress an open dialogue on the subject has just never set right with me. Let's say the metagame is bad and the community is bad too, what is the harm in letting people express their opinions on the issue?

EV

Banned deucer.
I was a fair question. What I find most offensive about the whole mess is the outright suppression of dialogue concerning the removal of what was for many people the most entertaining and exiting OM. Even if you guys are right--about everything--the way you suppress an open dialogue on the subject has just never set right with me. Let's say the metagame is bad and the community is bad too, what is the harm in letting people express their opinions on the issue?
We had a whole thread devoted to it. The core is this: Hackmons players will not be satisfied ever because they lost their ladder. What did we do? We made concessions and gave it a challenge option. It also just won OMotM. Don't act like we've suppressed anything, dialogue or otherwise. It's not like we mute anyone on Showdown who brings it up. We are just tired of explaining over and over why it was removed.

It didn't reflect the community positively. End.

Edit: Ironic I know but no more posts on this subject please. This thread is for asking the interviewee questions. If you want to continue the CH topic, feel free to PM me and TI. Thanks.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)