OM Interviews (#26: OM room)

A lot of other people have answered the same question. Let's see what you think: Why is it that the OM Community not seen as "competitive" enough or mature enough to other 'mainstream' tier players? If it is really so, what are some countermeasures?

I personally think we're a cool bunch. Unlike OU or UU, we learn and play a lot of tiers. BH is wonderful at allowing innovation, unlike the mainstream tiers which dredge up with the same things.

Last edited:

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Monte Cristo

卐 This is the windmill of friendship 卐 Repost if you also love your friends 卐

DinaIsha

First thing's first: no matter how competitive the OM community is, it is always going to be seen as less competitive than the main tiers simply because there is no OM representation in official tournaments. That alone probably makes us less competitive anyways because the top Pokemon players aren't playing any of our metas. Innovation also only goes so far. Comparing the ladders of the main tiers to the BH ladder, odds are that there is more innovation from BH, but that's because consistency takes you further on the ladder. There's plenty of innovation from tournament players all the time because you only have to win one battle, so you have more room to mess around with weird stuff there than you do on the ladder.

There really are no countermeasures. You'd have to find a way to attract top players to OMs, which, as I touched upon earlier, is nearly impossible without OM receiving official tournament representation. I think that's fine though. As long as BH is competitive, it doesn't matter how much more or less competitive it is than main tiers. Just play the OMs you like and have fun doing it.

Eevee General

Miss Fame, Katya, and Violet Chachki

Kit Kasai

m Eevee general, f arcticblast, k the immortal because he refuses to reveal his true identity and is probably a transformer

atomicllamas
I will fuck, marry, and kill you, jrp, and

There really are no countermeasures. You'd have to find a way to attract top players to OMs,
Why exactly do Top Players need to play OMs? For instance, I was good in RU (Quite good at it. At one point or the other, I'd beaten the entire roomauth, peaked at #2, qualified for 2 suspects etc), but when I got to OMs, I completely gave up on RU.

We have our own "Top Players". You can't compare STABmons to OU and say that the same people need to be well-versed in both. That is kind of unnecessary. I agree that we don't have a representation in the official tournaments, but to say that 'top players' needs to get to OMs for it to be a well-known community is insulting to be honest (As in inferring that our own Top Players aren't comparable to the "Top Players" you are mentioning).

Mainstream tiers are no different from any OM tiers. You can avoid answering this if you'd like. This feels more like a rant, a honest one nonetheless.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
How do you kill TI if he's immortal?
idk I just fuckin do

Do you own any dogs? Judging by your signature and avatar, it'd seem like you do enjoy them!
Yeah I have a husky :D

Have you been a scout? Judging by your scroller it looks like you've been collecting badges!
I was in boy scouts for like two weeks but when I found out they sold popcorn instead of cookies I got pissed and quit.
speaking of RPDR, who was your pick for Season 6? if it wasn't Adore literally don't answer
Adore is my favorite human being after Beyonce.

@Dinalsha I will answer this but I'm at a friend's house drinking right now so I'm only like half here and it's a bitch to make long replies on mobile. The short version tho is that our top players will never be recognized as top players throughout the entire site because there is no place for them to prove themselves and there is no room for people who are recognized as top players to get into oms because we aren't recognized in official tournaments. It's a catch 22 that revolves around tournaments and there is really no way to fix that because there is no interest on getting oms into official tournaments

I guess that was pretty much a full answer lol

An affable and friendly young man, even if he wins against me in a NU tour yesterday. Happy to read about you.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)