Omastar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun

[OVERVIEW]

• Is Lord Helix and Sweeps favorite Pokemon.
  • Omastar is a threatening Shell Smash abuser with a good Water-type STAB and ferocious special attack.
  • Nice physical defense meaning it can take a hit giving it an easier time setting up as well as not getting destroyed by priority after a Shell Smash.
  • Cool ability choice giving it a few options like gaining speed boost, becoming faster in the rain and preventing unlucky critical hits towards Omastar.
  • Scary rain wallbreaker as well.
  • Rather lacking in special defense giving it a hard time to set up on special attackers.
  • Faces competition from Cloyster, who does can hit past Substitute, Sturdy, and Focus Sashes.
  • Cannot effectively use its Rock-STAB
  • Mediocre speed does not allow it to outspeed naturally faster Pokemon and Scarfers leaving it to get revenge killed easily.

[SET]
name: Lord Helix (Shell Smash)
move 1: Shell Smash
move 2: Hydro Pump
move 3: Ice Beam
move 4: Hidden Power Electric
item: Focus Sash / Life Orb
ability: Weak Armor
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

• Shell Smash gives it a much needed boost to its speed as well as a big boost to its Special attack.
  • Hydro Pump is Omastar's hardest hitting move.
  • Ice Beam helps to targets Grass and Dragons that resist Hydro Pump.
  • Hidden Power Electric targets Water-types like Suicune, Mega Blastoise, Gyarados, and Alomomola.

Set Details
========

• Focus Sash guarantees that Omastar will be able to set up Shell Smash if it has not taken any previous damage. Life Orb gives Omastar even more potential to sweep granting it more power to Omastar's attacks.
  • Weak Armor can be used to scavenge an extra speed that can help to even outspeed choice scarfers.
  • Max speed with a Timid nature gives Omastar the most use out of its speed boost giving it enough speed to even outspeed speed boosting nature Mega Sceptile.
  • Max special attack helps to start dealing an insane amount of damage.

Usage Tips
========

• Omastar should be preserved for late game when all of its checks and counters have been removed or weakened.
  • Omastar should be preserved, Omastar should not be switching in unless it is going to start a sweep. Another key thing is to keep hazards off the field so Omastar can come in at full, potentially preserving its Focus Sash.
  • Omastar should be coming in on free switchins, either after a teammate has fainted or through a slow U-turn/Volt Switch.

Team Options
========

• Hazard Removal is very much appreciated, especially when running Focus Sash, in order to help Omastar have a much safer time setting up. Some examples are Mandibuzz, Zapdos, and Forretress
  • Forretress helps to set up Omastar by removing hazards, setting up hazards and then either using Explosion or Volt Switch to help get Omastar in safely.

[SET]
name: Sweep, the User (Rain Wallbreaker)
move 1: Hydro Pump
move 2: Scald
move 3: Ice Beam
move 4: Earth Power
item: Choice Specs
ability: Swift Swim
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

• Hydro Pump is the highest damaging move inside rain
  • Scald is a much more reliable way of dealing damage
  • Ice Beam hits Grass and Dragons which would otherwise resist Omastar's Water STABs
  • Earth Power hits Tentacruel, Empoleon, and Toxicroak.

Set Details
========

• Choice Specs gives Omastar a big power boost to its attacks
  • Max special attack lets Omastar hit as hard as possible
  • Max speed and Timid nature gives it enough to outspeed Mega Sceptile, Mega Beedrill, and Aerodactyl

Usage Tips
========

• Omastar should try to not be sent in if there isn't a good amount of rain turns left up, or else it becomes really vulnerable and easy to pick off.
  • Omastar should be used early game to help break down walls for other Rain sweepers.
  • Omastar can also be preserved for late game to clean up after all the Water-type resist are removed or weakened.

Team Options
========

• Rain setters like Tornadus and Uxie can help to get rain out so Omastar can start wallbreaking.
  • Other Rain abusers like Kabutops, Kingdra, and Mega Swampert work together as they all benefit from rain which must be set up for Omastar already

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

List some options for the Pokemon user that are plausible but not always recommended due to either being not consistent enough or too outclassed by other Pokemon in the metagame.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Insert Threat Here**: Describe why the Pokemon is a threat.

Last edited:

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
making some nitpicks but nothing too big considering this is still a WIP

first: remove defensive oma. that set is literally useless and gets demolished by everything in the tier. empoleon and tentacruel remove your hazards for days, salamence / hydreigon nuke you and i'm sure the list goes on. guess it works as a mega aero check but even that is kinda shaky.

same as above for suicide lead omastar unless any other qc memeber has any positive experience with that or you're able to prove its worth. it isn't really beating empoleon/tentacruel at all and those 2 are on 80% or so of balance squads. you don't want an HO team that loses momentum to them. you can run earth power to get some damage on those before dying but even then, trading a mon for some damage and no hazards isn't really an optimal scenario for HO. you can do better than that with either aero or azelf. this means that you should ignore spoofy's post (the comparison to crustle doesn't help at all either. who tf runs that in UU lol)

shell smash is the best omastar set and needs no introduction at all. timid with max special attack / speed investment is the only alternative here. might want to mention/slash weak armor because +3 omastar outpaces key choice scarf mons, rain isn't common enough and you're not running shell smash oma on rain squads for the most part (that's why specs omastar exists i guess). only situation where you don't want that ability is when the defense drop can potentially fuck a sweep over but that's big enough not to make it the sole slashed ability because we have a fair amount of priority users in the tier. you might want to mention life orb and hidden power grass btw. the former helps you breaking down fat pokemon (+2 252 SpA Life Orb Omastar Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Empoleon: 335-395 (90.2 - 106.4%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO. it's true that sdef empoleon isn't the most common/best set anymore, but it's still a nice example in this scenario imo) and hp grass gives you a better shot at breaking down mons like suicune/swampert which can tank your usual moves and kill back with ease. hp electric sounds tempting because of gyarados but that mon isn't koing you and ice beam already does enough anyway

specs sounds appealing on paper but out of all my times playing with rain, i've found myself resorting to kingdra, swampert and sometimes kabutops (+ tornadus and maybe an electric mon if it somehow fits in). with that said, i'll most likely play a couple of games with it so i can be ready to give a good qc check once you're done writing the skeleton

good luck!

Agree with getting rid of defensive and suicide lead altogether.

For shell smash: in my opinion the items should be focus sash / life orb. White herb isn't /that/ useful because scarfers are revenge killing you no matter what, and the two most common forms of strong priority (Entei ESpeed and Mamo Ice Shard) are only doing 30 and 20 respectively at -1. Mental herb should get a mention though since anyone who has a Whimsicott will probably switch that in and it also means you can set up on taunt aero and -2 hydreigon and stuff. I also think weak armor should be the primary ability, swift swim is basically never going to come into play (esp cause it's slower than every other swift swimmer without a shell smash) whereas the extra speed boost can potentially allow for a sweep. Also, hp electric > grass always, 0/0 mega Swampert takes 88 min from sash hydro pump, and you OHKO gyara and do the most damage possible to Shuca Empoleon, and other waters takes the same obviously, so yeah I think those two are way more significant than like bulky mega Swampert and seismitoad. I would actually say make HP electric the final moveslot by itself, without it most water types can easily take an attack and revenge kill with scald. Earth Power does hit non Shuca Empoleon harder, but hp targets everything else like Alomomola, Suicune, Slowking, mega Blastoise etc. I'll also wait till you're done to do a full check.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)