One Tough Dino - Bastiodon Discussion

http://www.serebii.net/attackdex-dp/struggle.shtml

I knew about the changes in recoil from Struggle and all that. But according to Serebii it's still a 50 BP Normal attack. The ability to hit ghosts is probably something like a built in Mold Breaker. My point was just that anything with Taunt could make an opponent kill itself with Struggle recoil, Metal Burst will hardly do any additional damage.

In past games, Struggle ignores typing completely; it had hit ghost-types, Rock-types, and Steel-types just as effectively as anything else.

http://www.serebii.net/attackdex-dp/struggle.shtml

I knew about the changes in recoil from Struggle and all that. But according to Serebii it's still a 50 BP Normal attack.
Apparently, Wikipedia is more specific about Struggle than Serebii:

Due to the move Struggle's lack of a type, many people categorize it as a ???-type move though this is unofficial (Struggle is listed in the Official Nintendo Power Players' Guides as a Normal-type move). A Pokémon immune to Normal-type attacks is still damaged by Struggle.

Thus, Struggle should be labelled a
type move.

That makes a lot more sense. So there are actually two
attacks in the game (It should be checked using an emulator or something if it's actually listed as
). The fact that a 50 BP neutral, physical attack won't do much to Bastiodon still holds true though.

Wow, I wouldn't have thought that was possible. But I guess that's the only way to see it's attack description. Looks like my idea that it has some kind of additional effect that let's it hit any type is closer to the truth than the thought that it's
(Which it obviously isn't)

It should be noted that despite having official types, Doom Desire and Future Sight are also considered "typeless" when damage is calculated.

Question about that then. Does Struggle get STAB on Normal types? Do Doom Desire or Future Sight get STAB on Steel/Psychic respectively?

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
Using Bastiodon in OU is just begging for Gyarados to set up, but Metal Burst seems like a really good move, so I'd probably say low UU.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Using Bastiodon in OU is just begging for Gyarados to set up, but Metal Burst seems like a really good move, so I'd probably say low UU.
The problem is, as stated, that Bastiodon is setup fodder which means in order to abuse Metal Burst it needs to have Taunt. In order to not simply prompt repeated switchins, it or something else needs to carry Stealth Rock. That leaves it with 1 moveslot left, and Roar works well with Taunt/Metal Burst threat and Stealth Rock, but leaves you essentially without any attacks. Despite its crap attack stat, it should at least have either Earthquake or Rock Blast to ward off threats and provide a way to deal consistent(if low) damage that doesn't rely on getting halfway owned.

As far as between the two, I recommend Earthquake to deal with Sub-punch Aggron. Aside from basically LOL'ing at SR, if it Subs and Bastiodon can't EQ it, it is then free to Focus Punch Bastiodon to hell with impunity, since Focus Punch has negative priority.

Its funny how you guys call him a worse aggron.

1.Aggron can survive an EQ but cant do nothing back
2.Bastiodon will metal burst for an OHKO back
3.Bastiodon has alot more special defence than aggron so he can survive some special attacks on his end alot more than aggron
4.More things that use EQ are not stabbed

I just giving my 2 cents

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Its funny how you guys call him a worse aggron.

1.Aggron can survive an EQ but cant do nothing back
2.Bastiodon will metal burst for an OHKO back
3.Bastiodon has alot more special defence than aggron so he can survive some special attacks on his end alot more than aggron
4.More things that use EQ are not stabbed

I just giving my 2 cents

1. Aggron has COUNTER, which is superior to MB for eating EQ.
2. Aggron also has Metal Burst. And more HP.
3. Bastiodon can survive Surf/Focus Bast etc. and only MB back, if it doesn't get KO'd.
4. Irrelevant.

Focus sash is a must-have item

jammie jammie earthquake @ Deck Night.

I wanted to keep this a secret, but I´m a guy of the truth and I don´t like witholding information.
Anyway, here it goes.

Bastiodon @ Focus Sash (this is a must-have item)
Protect (you don´t want to be quick attacked or anyting)
Metal Burst (...)

That is the must have part-set. Other possibilities are:
Block / Stealth Rock
Rest / Roar

Nature: Sassy
Ability: Sturdy
EV: 252 Hit Points 252 Special Defense 4 doesn´t matter

-speed nature is a given as well as 252 EV HP.
The rest is all just preference. So I like this:

Bastiodon @ focus sash
Sassy @ 252 HP + 252 SD + 4 wasted
Protect
Metal Burst
Rest
Stealth Rock

Protect + Metal Burst is for the revanche KO.
Anything that has 300 attack and earthquake will OHKO it.
That is, let it leave 1 HP.
Metal Burst 1.5x 300 (if low IV or whatever) = 450 HP damage.
Protect is to check if someone really attacks or not.
If they do a normal typed attack, your focus sash is useless.
Taunt isn´t a very good idea, because the moment you are taunting,
the opponent can OHKO you with earthquake or leave you helplessly with 1 HP.

Put this guy in a (healing) wish team and you can maybe pull it off twice or at least send him in again to be used as a wall.

It is not what you say an easy to use Pokémon and a bit high mind-gaming, but that´s the fun of him.

Counters:
Trick Room really messes it up of course.
If it becomes popular it will become a pseudohazer.
Feint is pretty deadly as well.
Spikes, allthough they do little damage mess up focus sash as well.
Wobbuffet theory: if you don´t attack it, it can´t do anything.
Hail

Conclusion:
It is probably a bit of a novelty, but it can have it´s surprises. If you decent in a good team hey maybe able to swich in at times to to other jobs as well.

Even when used professionaly it has earthquakes for breakfast!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)