[DONE] JOHTO CLASSIC - Post your results!

BOOOOOO

The HA Beasts would have been a heck of a lot better prize. The Miltank's not even that special, just annoying!

I'm totally still doing this, though. I got an Ice Shard Phanpy the other day and I'm not letting it go to waste. Still would have liked a cooler prize.

Too much priority around for sash zam to work imo. And AV Machamp gets killed by crobat and boosted mons
Well yes, but considering every mon in the game bar Eelectross has weaknesses, I can't really hold "Super Effective STAB moves with 120 BP kill it" as a fault against Machamp. I'm not switching Machamp into Crobat. Crobat would switch into Machamp, praying that it doesn't get slammed by Stone Edge. Mega Kangaskhan gets killed by Terrakion and boosted attacks; but that stops absolutely no one from running it in... well, every meta it's allowed in, really.
On the upside, AV Champ is good at tanking reasonable attacks that one should be using machamp for, such as Raikou's Thunderbolt, Lapras' Freeze-Dry, Magnezone's Thunderbolt, and even takes strong, SE STAB moves like...
252 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Psychic vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Machamp: 156-187 (79.1 - 94.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
And then murders with Knock Off.

He's fast enough to fire off the first attack without dying first. He won't fire off the second one, because priority kills him. Having sash doesn't change that in the slightest. Give me more than one example against the pokes being discussed here (machamp, dnite, azu, donphan) where sash makes a difference.
Machamp doesn't always run Bullet Punch, considering it's literally useless against anything that has more than 20 HP left and isn't a Dugtrio. It also has a long list of moves it can use in that slot. One should always assume it has Bullet Punch if you're at 1 HP, yes, but it's not absolute. Dnite, will always win regardless of what Zammy is running (unless you have a Sub up and it switches in at like, half HP?) but with Sash you're assured that you can HP Ice / Dazzling Gleam / Thunder Wave / etc it. Without Sash you're not doing jack shit. With Sash, you can, if need be, get a hit on it or T-Wave it and kill it or halt its sweep. Azumarill, same deal: You can Energy Ball it even if there's a CB or +6 Aqua Jet incoming. Which, at 75% HP (Belly Drum -> Sitrus Berry), Azumarill gets OHKO'd if you have even the slightest chip damage, as opposed to Zammy simply dying and doing literally nothing. Donphan, same deal: Slam with Energy Ball, eat EQ / Knock Off, switch to Gengar or something and not care about the Ice Shard. Against every mentioned Priority mon, Alakazam loses NOTHING by running Sash, and against mons without Priority, it gains a large advantage against things like Aerodactyl, Kingdra, ChloroSaur, Kabutops, +1 Gyara/Gatr, etc that are all very important to stop. Alakazam has been killed by priority since what, Gen 2? Nothing is perfect, everything has faults. The set isn't made to counter Azumarill, it's made to emergency check setup sweepers and things like CB Nite.
I could also run Specs Zammy. Machamp / 90% of Dnite / Azumarill / Donphan all hate Trick Specs.

Oh and as a general announcement, I have free 31/31/31/x/31/31 Adamant Sucker Punch Golem clones that I RNG'd myself, if anyone planned on running one. Just VM/PM.

Last edited:
Well yes, but considering every mon in the game bar Eelectross has weaknesses, I can't really hold "Super Effective STAB moves with 120 BP kill it" as a fault against Machamp. I'm not switching Machamp into Crobat. Crobat would switch into Machamp, praying that it doesn't get slammed by Stone Edge. Mega Kangaskhan gets killed by Terrakion and boosted attacks; but that stops absolutely no one from running it in... well, every meta it's allowed in, really.
On the upside, AV Champ is good at tanking reasonable attacks that one should be using machamp for, such as Raikou's Thunderbolt, Lapras' Freeze-Dry, Magnezone's Thunderbolt, and even takes strong, SE STAB moves like...
252 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Psychic vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Machamp: 156-187 (79.1 - 94.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Machamp doesn't always run Bullet Punch, considering it's literally useless against anything that has more than 20 HP left and isn't a Dugtrio. It also has a long list of moves it can use in that slot. One should always assume it has Bullet Punch if you're at 1 HP, yes, but it's not absolute. Dnite, will always win regardless of what Zammy is running (unless you have a Sub up and it switches in at like, half HP?) but with Sash you're assured that you can HP Ice / Dazzling Gleam / Thunder Wave / etc it. Without Sash you're not doing jack shit. With Sash, you can, if need be, get a hit on it or T-Wave it and kill it or halt its sweep. Azumarill, same deal: You can Energy Ball it even if there's a CB or +6 Aqua Jet incoming. Which, at 75% HP (Belly Drum -> Sitrus Berry), Azumarill gets OHKO'd if you have even the slightest chip damage, as opposed to Zammy simply dying and doing literally nothing. Donphan, same deal: Slam with Energy Ball, eat EQ / Knock Off, switch to Gengar or something and not care about the Ice Shard. Against every mentioned Priority mon, Alakazam loses NOTHING by running Sash, and against mons without Priority, it gains a large advantage against things like Aerodactyl, Kingdra, ChloroSaur, Kabutops, +1 Gyara/Gatr, etc that are all very important to stop. Alakazam has been killed by priority since what, Gen 2? Nothing is perfect, everything has faults. The set isn't made to counter Azumarill, it's made to emergency check setup sweepers and things like CB Nite.
I could also run Specs Zammy. Machamp / 90% of Dnite / Azumarill / Donphan all hate Trick Specs.

Oh and as a general announcement, I have free 31/31/31/x/31/31 Adamant Sucker Punch Golem clones that I RNG'd myself, if anyone planned on running one.
can i have one of your golem clones w/ sucker punch, my fc is : 3024-9267-1322

Oh and as a general announcement, I have free 31/31/31/x/31/31 Adamant Sucker Punch Golem clones that I RNG'd myself, if anyone planned on running one. Just VM/PM.
May I have one of those Golems as well? I'm about to go to bed but I'll be on tomorrow; let me know, thanks!

Good stuff! I think you just confirmed I need to have my Machamp return from the Kanto Classic for this. I was torn between him and Heracross (of which I have a perfect 6IV Adamant ready to go) but I had a hard time coming up with a decent moveset for her. The only reason I wanted Hera was for Guts so that I can take advantage of statuses. What are you running on your Champ? Mine has No Guard ability, Dynamic Punch, Knock Off, Ice Punch, Bullet Punch. I notice you have Poison Jab on there for Fairies I assume; what did you remove for it?
This is actually provisional

Machamp (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: No Guard
Level: 50
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 86 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab

I want most of my team to be able to hit even things that would counter them. Poison Jab is a good example for that. It doesn't only hit Clefable, but Azumarill as well! The only thing I see walling this would be Eviolite Misdreavus, which I don't think would be common. I faced a Gengar and 2HKO'd it with Stone Edge. It also can tank one or two Dazzling Gleam or Psychic from it. If I came to use Bullet Punch, I think it would be better on a Guts set. I have Scizor for that job at the moment, and it also has Pursuit. He and Tyranitar cover Dark-type moves, so I didn't worry at all about Knock Off.

Be careful with Sheer Cold and Fissure users. If you're not faster, switch as soon as you can, and hope it's not Arena Trap Dugtrio.
I'd say Psychic-types are more interested in running Psyshock for things like Chansey tho, and Alakazam's would probably make Machamp faint, or almost.

zapzap29

The obssessive man of passion
Made a Quagsire set centered around beating Moody users.

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Haze
- Ice Beam/Scald

Why would anyone use this? Because Moody is a broken ass ability that deserves to be eliminated via time travelling abortion. I don't think there'll be as many Moody abusers on the cart competition but for the ones you encounter, you can timer stall them to a loss with this mon. This set is also helpful for taking on other set up mons like Azumarill, Dragonite, and Scizor. The attacking move can be switched depending on what your team needs. Scald lets you fish for burns and cripple mons that try to set up on you while Ice Beam lets you take on Dragonite and even Zapdos if it doesn't have HP Grass.

I know this set's usability is a little situational but no one likes facing Moody. With this set you can annoy them right back and in some cases even force forfeits. If you hate the randomness and luck of Moody users, this set will take luck out of the equation.

I guess this could work but here's a couple of things you should keep in mind:

1 - From what I've seen in the ladder, people usually lead with their Sash user so Stealth Rocks isn't really worth much, specially not when the only Sturdy user that Feraligatr actually fears is Magneton and perhaps Alakazam, both of which Dugtrio is perfectly capable of dealing with.
2 - Off the top of my head right now I can tell you that Skarmory can give you a lot of trouble ( haven't seen it much on the ladder, however) and Quagsire straight up shuts down this whole strategy, so you got to find something to deal with those two.
Im also worried about multiscale D-Nite (which seems to be near omnipresent) in addition to sash users. If I replace sandstorm with sucker punch I could take down most sash leads (esp. Zam though Gengar could be annoying) and perhaps get a memento off on their switch maybe even a reversal (though Dugtrio doesn't do much here)

A third Pokemon to complement the first two along with something to deal with Suicune and Clefable variants would be great as I can't break through them even +2 with Feraligatr.

Venusaur could help me against everything but Skarmory (who does seem pretty uncommon).

Other gimmicks (baton pass/moody) also seem to wreck this set-up so I'd have to have counter strategies amongst my other three mons.

Hey, so I tried to make viability rankings for this rule set. I've played like 200 games of this format or so, so I feel like I have decently firm ground to stand on with these comments. Feel free to offer whatever input you want. Every available mon should be listed here so let me know if I forgot something.

S Tier (These are the two best mons in the tier)

Azumarill

Dragonite

A Tier (These are all fantastic)

A+

Venusaur
Piloswine
Raikou
Suicune

A

Clefable
Machamp
Zapdos
Gengar
Entei

A-

Magneton
Snorlax
Quagsire
Scizor

B Tier (These are all really solid mons but are just a little short of A tier power. Have slightly wider variety of answers, do slightly less work)

B+

Arcanine
Alakazam
Kangakhan
Gyarados
Feraligatr
Crobat
Tyranitar

B

Nidoqueen
Nidoking
Slowbro
Chansey
Jolteon
Lanturn
Poltioed
Espeon
Heracross
Skarmory
Donphan
Porygon2

B -

Golem
Cloyster
Exeggutor
Steelix
Granbull
Kingrda

B?

Starmie (I have literally seen none of these but they seem really good theorymon wise?)

C Tier (Kind of lackluster but still does something pretty good with a little support)

Blastoise
Ninetales
Venomoth
Dugtrio
Vileplume
Victreebel
Marowak
Hitmonlee
Rhydon
Jynx
Tauros
Lapras
Vaporeon
Aerodactyl
Articuno
Moltres
Typlosion
Jumpluff
Umbreon
Murkrow
Slowking
Forretress
Gligar
Sneasel
Ursaring
Houndoom
Smeargle
Hitmontop
Miltank
Blissey

Meh (the rest of these need a lot to do work to do any good, I have either seen like one or none of them)
Meh+ (These seem like they have some really limited stuff going for them and I could see them being scary in the right circumstance)
Qwilfish
Octillery
Charizard
Butterfree
Sandslash
Raichu
Persian
Primape
Poliwrath
Tentacruel
Rapidash
Dodrio
Weezing
Scyther
Electabuzz
Magmar
Pinsir
Flareon
Omastar
Kabutops
Misdreavus

Meh (Barely remarkable and boring)
Wigglytuff
Dewgong
Hypno
Muk
Kingler
Electrodde
Hitmonchan
Tangela
Seaking
Mr.Mime
Meganium
Ampharos
Togetic
Bellosom
Sudowoodo
Mantine :(
Stantler

These mons have a tiny, tiiiny tiny tiny spark of something it seems they could be good for and nothing else going for them
Ariados
Girafarig
Dunsparce
Magcargo

Obviously Super Bad
Beedrill
Pidgeot
Raticate
Parasect
Golduck
Farfetch'd
Lickitung
Furret
Noctowl
Aipom
Sunflora
Yanma
Unown
Delibrid

Last edited:
donphan for s tier imo, other than that this is super accurate
Donphan's not S tier material, I feel. It's good if your opponent doesn't see the custap set coming, but its fairly easy to manage if you do. Defensive sets also have a nice benefit in that they almost guarentee rocks and benefit very much from people expecting the custap set. It's good, but the S tier stuff picks and chooses its checks at will and requires teams to have at least one solid check, if not two decent checks or better. Azumarill and Dragonite are in a league of their own. Honestly, I'd probably put Azu in its own S+ before adding any more mons to S.

I'll have you know I'm having a lot of fun with Tangela, so excuse you and your 'boring' remark, k? Jokes aside, Quagsire is an awesome anti-meta pokemon right now with all the physical sweepers going around and that are just hopeless against it; Scizor, Dragonite ( Without a Sub or Choince Band ), Azumarill, Feraligatr and physical Kingdra to name a few. But I guess he's fine at B+, just thinking out loud here.

Last edited:
Hm.. shouldn't be too useless here, imho. The main reason [Typhlosion] is bad in standard tiers is because it's heavily outclassed by other offensive Fire-types like Delphox in RU, but it may have a niche here (maybe a Sticky Web team with Smeargle?)
Well, ... since Delphox is not present in Johto, it seems that our fellow Typhlosion has gone some stairs up. It can be more than a niche, making only Magmar, Houndoom and Ninetales the three only fast Special-Sweeping Fire-type competitors in this tournament. Have fun with it.

PS: You can add an Extrasensory to Typhlosion if you want some few extra coverage... despite that Ninetales and Magmar already have Psychic at their disposal, though. Otherwise you can fill the last slot with Thunderpunch/WildCharge or other strong physical moves it possesses like Earthquake or Rock Slide (good coverage moves, despite the mediocre 84 Atk stat).

Last edited:
Anyway, is there the annoying Mantine stalling around these tracks? (still wishes to get Roost one day)

One of those things almost stalled my team with Toxic + Protect + Whirlpool + ConfuseRay. It was so deep that I almost felt like erasing my save data.

Last edited:
TheMantyke I'm curious, what makes Kangaskhan on par with Feraligatr? And what makes 'gatr better than Gyarados? All it has is more shoving power, and Fighting coverage. Trades a rock weakness for a Grass weakness.

I'll have you know I'm having a lot of fun with Tangela, so excuse you and your 'boring' remark, k? Jokes aside, Quagsire is an awesome anti-meta pokemon right now with all the physical sweepers going around and that are just hopeless against it; Scizor, Dragonite ( Without a Sub or Choince Band ), Azumarill, Feraligatr and physical Kingdra to name a few. But I guess he's fine at B+, just thinking out loud here.
Tangela honestly should go up a little. I haven't seen it like at all and I don't know what it does. I assume it does the same stuff Venu does checking azu and being a bulky annoyance? I'd love to see some discussion, sets, or replays on it.

I guess quag can move up a little.

TheMantyke I'm curious, what makes Kangaskhan on par with Feraligatr? And what makes 'gatr better than Gyarados? All it has is more shoving power, and Fighting coverage. Trades a rock weakness for a Grass weakness.
Honestly, from what I've used of Kanga so far, it's brutal in this format. Whatever normal resistances are around, Kanga can outright beat (252 HP Scizor dies to Silk Scarf Fake Out + Fire Punch, EQ obviously slaughters Mag) or painfully dent for something else to clean up (Mainly EQ vs Steelix, Golem, Rhydon). The only thing that really doesn't care about it is Skarmory. It's a fantastic lead that really stomps right now.

As for Gyarados vs Gatr, I placed gatr a little higher since it can bust through suicune a little easier, can run SD or DD, and can use aqua jet. They probably deserve to be in the same tier so I'll move gyara up.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Made a Quagsire set centered around beating Moody users.

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Haze
- Ice Beam/Scald

Why would anyone use this? Because Moody is a broken ass ability that deserves to be eliminated via time travelling abortion. I don't think there'll be as many Moody abusers on the cart competition but for the ones you encounter, you can timer stall them to a loss with this mon. This set is also helpful for taking on other set up mons like Azumarill, Dragonite, and Scizor. The attacking move can be switched depending on what your team needs. Scald lets you fish for burns and cripple mons that try to set up on you while Ice Beam lets you take on Dragonite and even Zapdos if it doesn't have HP Grass.

I know this set's usability is a little situational but no one likes facing Moody. With this set you can annoy them right back and in some cases even force forfeits. If you hate the randomness and luck of Moody users, this set will take luck out of the equation.
This loses to Sheer Cold Smeargle and Bullet Seed / Energy Ball Octillery. Nice try though.

Tangela honestly should go up a little. I haven't seen it like at all and I don't know what it does. I assume it does the same stuff Venu does checking azu and being a bulky annoyance? I'd love to see some discussion, sets, or replays on it.
I'm using a really obscure Worry Seed set to deal with SleepTalk, which is a general annoyance to my team. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else, though. It just happened to be what I needed so I cracked a joke about it because I'm pretty sure I'm the only one laddering with it. And yeah, Vanu can absolutely do anything Tangela does, but I couldn't afford to have yet another Pokemon that gets one shotted by Alakazam so I went for the next best thing.

Perhaps a more standard set with Leaf Storm/Sleep Powder/HP fire/Knock Off could work. But I guess the only reasons to use it over Venu would be Regenerator, which allows it to pivot in and out bulky water types more consistently and the fact that Alakazam can't OHKO it, so you have a chance at putting it to sleep or something, unlike Venusaur who either switches out or goes down.

Why's Porygon2 so low when I have been given the impression it is amazing in Battlespot Singles? I'm using this over Piloswine for that reason, as I assume Pilo would be looking at a bulky set utilising Thick Fat? I think it got that... I am glad to see I appear to have put both the S mon on my team, I was looking for this list earlier, so I had to guess most things from my knowledge of Battlespot, the Kanto Classic, and where things are in the tiers, so I expected Raikou to be a threat etcetera. Considering how high Aerodactyl's speed is, I'm surprised it's also no higher than C, it was amazing in the Kanto Classic, and with pressure, it can stall out the low PP moves with protect while remaining a niche sweeper, and scare people into thinking it might carry SR. (Although I think SR has been put out of favour as this is 3V3 unlike the KC)

My team currently have Donphan (custap set), Raikou (CM thunderbolt/Shadow ball), Scizor (CB set), Ursaring(absorb status and sweep with facade), Venusaur(Subseed), Espeon(Specs and Trick).
I want to change Scizor cause I never pick him, what pokemon should I add to my team? I'm thinking on Azumarill or Dragonite, but don't know.

After the extremely popular Kanto Classic, Pokémon Global Link is hosting another generation based tournament, this time using Pokémon from generations 1 and 2!
Participation award: Everyone's childhood nightmare from GSC: Whitney's Miltank!​

Pokemon: Miltank Lv20
OT: Whitney
Ability: Scrappy
- Rollout
- Attract
- Stomp
- Milk Drink

Games: Pokémon Omega Ruby / Pokémon Alpha Sapphire

Entry date: May 19, 2016 (Thu) 14:00 ~ 27 (Fri) 8:59 (JST)
Limit 50,000 people, first come first served
cant say's handy sign up guide

Competition date: May 27, 2016 (Fri) 9:00 ~ 30 (Mon) 8:59 (JST)
15 Battles per day

Battle Rules: Single Battle, Pokémon above Level 50 will be Level 50, Bring 6 Choose 3

Usable Pokémon: All Pokémon with Pokédex No. 1~251​

Banlist: Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Ho-oh, Celebi
Pentagon Clause is NOT IN EFFECT

Item Restrictions: Mega Stones are not allowed​

Timer Rules:
30 Minute match time
90 Second team preview
60 Second turns
Role Compedium

HELLO I AM WONDERING SINCE I LIVE IN LOS ANGELES WHAT TIME DO I HAVE TO BE ONLINE TO REGISTER FOR THE COMPETITION PLEASE LET ME KNOW AS THE WEBSITE SAID UTC 0:00 BUT I AM NOT SURE WHAT TIME THAT WILL BE HERE IN LOS ANGELES

HELLO I AM WONDERING SINCE I LIVE IN LOS ANGELES WHAT TIME DO I HAVE TO BE ONLINE TO REGISTER FOR THE COMPETITION PLEASE LET ME KNOW AS THE WEBSITE SAID UTC 0:00 BUT I AM NOT SURE WHAT TIME THAT WILL BE HERE IN LOS ANGELES
Just sign up on May 19th. The actual time of day won't matter for you.
If you need an exact time for whatever reason, it'd open registration at 5:00pm (17:00 on a 24 hour clock) on May 18th.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)