ORAS General Discussion - Mark 2 - Spoilers Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because your magic "you just see Mega Lopunny as Lopunny" solution doesn't fly. XY (probably) has no idea what Mega Lopunny is, and cannot say, "Oh, I don't have the necessary resources to display Mega Lopunny, I will just throw Lopunny up instead."
Except it has for the past two gens. Giratina-O was displayed as Giratina-A in DP, Kyurem-B and Kyurem-W were displayed as normal Kyurem in BW. XY has all the resources it needs to show these; essentially, a Mega at most is just a Type, Ability and Stat change. All XY needs to know is that it's facing a Lopunny that happens to be Normal/Fighting with Scrappy and some different stats, just as BW saw Kyurem-W as a normal Kyurem with a different ability and different stats. This has been gone over a billion times.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Because your magic "you just see Mega Lopunny as Lopunny" solution doesn't fly. XY (probably) has no idea what Mega Lopunny is, and cannot say, "Oh, I don't have the necessary resources to display Mega Lopunny, I will just throw Lopunny up instead."
Kurona has already answered you, but I'll add: Mega Evolutions are treated as formes in-game, but formes only accessible through a special condition à la Meloetta-P. There's a video from SciresM on Youtube showing a MegaCharizardY Mega Evolving into MegaCharizardX as proof of it. Yeah, of course he hacked to have a base CharY, but even then, such transformation would not be possible if MegaEvo worked any differently than "check pokémon species -> if Charizard, allow MegaEvo". And would you look at it, if Game Freak wanted to, they could even release an event Mega pokémon as a base form !__! But obviously they won't because it would make things as awkward as such video.

So, an unpatched XY game would see MegaLopunny as Lopunny, but Bug/Rock/Dark-type moves would suspiciously be NVE against it. Nothing new there.

Last edited:
Except it has for the past two gens. Giratina-O was displayed as Giratina-A in DP, Kyurem-B and Kyurem-W were displayed as normal Kyurem in BW. XY has all the resources it needs to show these; essentially, a Mega at most is just a Type, Ability and Stat change. All XY needs to know is that it's facing a Lopunny that happens to be Normal/Fighting with Scrappy and some different stats, just as BW saw Kyurem-W as a normal Kyurem with a different ability and different stats. This has been gone over a billion times.
Kurona has already answered you, but I'll add: Mega Evolutions are treated as formes in-game, but formes only accessible through a special condition à la Meloetta-P. There's a video from SciresM on Youtube showing a MegaCharizardY Mega Evolving into MegaCharizardX as proof of it. Yeah, of course he hacked to have a base CharY, but even then, such transformation would not be possible if MegaEvo worked any differently than "check pokémon species -> if Charizard, allow MegaEvo".

So, an unpacthed XY game would see MegaLopunny as Lopunny, but suspiciously Bug/Rock/Dark-type moves would be NVE against it. Nothing new there.
I haven't played a Wifi battle this generation, so I might be wrong, but isn't there still an issue of how the XY player would perceive the Mega Evolution? Perhaps it was written to ignore unrecognized animation cues, I don't know.

Edit: You guys might be right. I just think it's sloppy for Gamefreak to create a patch that resolves inconsistencies in play experience, and then continues to let those inconsistencies occur. If someone is playing online, they can download the patch.

Honestly, it would just be smart to just add the ability to at least perceive the new Megas to X and Y since it can be done now incredibly easily. I've been hoping for this since new Megas were revealed. I still would prefer being able to transfer them to the Kalos games if I wish (I'm still getting both Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, so I'm not wishing this just to avoid getting them).

Displaying one legendary as it's original form was an excusable solution in the past. Now we have a minimum of 12 (almost certainly more) new forms on just as many Pokemon (not counting Cosplay-Chu even) for a game that has already received 2 patches and operates online all the time rather than from one specific in-game location. A patch is just the right thing to do to maintain the high level of well done interaction players have right now. not patching when there is this much new content that will be around is just a full on bad move in the eyes of people who are actually looking at the games critically. X and Y players should be able to, at a minimum, "see"all the new content that's being used in their game while they play online with people.

But even if we're gonna stick to the "It's what Gamefreak has always done so clearly they will do it again despite how messed up it would be" argument, I have to ask: But what of the new moves? While, yes, the XY games would be capable of recognizing megas as their base forms and displaying them as such (just with alternative types and stats,) they currently don't have the ability to recognize the new moves. This is where the "No patch AND compatibility" theory falls apart to me:

So either there will be a patch, the games won't be compatible (seriously a horrible idea from a business stand point), or there will be some other clever programming that will basically accomplish what a patch would accomplish.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I haven't played a Wifi battle this generation, so I might be wrong, but isn't there still an issue of how the XY player would perceive the Mega Evolution? Perhaps it was written to ignore unrecognized animation cues, I don't know.
We do not fully know how the transformation was coded into the games, but I'd make the educated guess that the Mega activation message and animation are merely cosmetic because frankly, it looks cool. Besides, simply having the 3D model changing for your opponent with no animation whatsoever would be incredibly awkward and bad design, so they have to show the Mega animation.

If XY were to allow battle against ORAS/"patched" XY versions, then either you wouldn't be informed (best option imo), or... the message would appear, the animation could even start... and then the 3D model wouldn't change. This would be amazingly awkward. It's not reason enough to stop Game Freak from doing so, but they might as well leave XY players in the dark against a pokémon with an ORAS mega. All in all, with or without patch, it's perfectly possible for XY to face new Megas; the only real problem is regarding aesthetics.

But even if we're gonna stick to the "It's what Gamefreak has always done so clearly they will do it again despite how messed up it would be" argument, I have to ask: But what of the new moves? While, yes, the XY games would be capable of recognizing megas as their base forms and displaying them as such (just with alternative types and stats,) they currently don't have the ability to recognize the new moves. This is where the "No patch AND compatibility" theory falls apart to me:

So either there will be a patch, the games won't be compatible (seriously a horrible idea from a business stand point), or there will be some other clever programming that will basically accomplish what a patch would accomplish.
So why exactly are we completely ignoring the fact move animations change between games.

So why exactly are we completely ignoring the fact move animations change between games.
We aren't ignoring it, we just realizing that moves are based around concepts that the animations display. So while Outrage may have two "different" animations in DPPt and HGSS:

The differences are minor aesthetics in how the game shows the Pokemon going on a rampage. We surround it with raging fire, or dynamic lines, or now that it's a 3D model we give it anger signs while it freaks out, or show it form different camera angles. New animations of outrage in ORAS won't suddenly show the Pokemon taking flight into the sky and burning things below it like a dragon or something ridiculous because that's not what Outrage the move is. And the new moves we've been shown for the Primal Legendaries aren't comparable to any old moves. Water Spout it the water gushing from a whale's blow hole, Not a bunch of thin pressurized water shots that appear around a Pokemon and warp in on it like the move psyschock. There' no comparable move. There are also no moves that are based on what seems sort of like a "lava-based" surf. Where molten jagged rocks float through a plain of lava to collide with the enemy. Like some sort of Techtonic plate attack. These are new moves (very likely signature moves). If they were new animations for old moves you could point to the old move and explain how the animation fits it conceptually.

There is also one little... enigma precedent we're ignoring that could very easily be the case for non-patched versions.
Gen 4 Rotom.
You were completely prevented from using the platinum-introduced forms against a DP player. I'd say it's entirely possible - however awkward - that you would be prevented from using Pokémon with these new moves against a non-patched XY player. Again, very awkward... but still not out of the realm of possibility. These moves are really the one little hole in my theory of the patch not being necessary but can be done so you can see new megas and receive them.
What I'm really confused about is that they weren't scared to add in freeze shock and whatever Kyurem-W's signature move was called into BW's coding, and they even added Thousand Waves, Hyperspace Hole etc. into XY's coding ready. So why not these new moves...?

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
The posted pictures could be (completely) redone animations for Thousand Arrows and Thousand Waves, respectively, but I agree that there is something mysterious about those moves. They don't seem to fit any known moves, and the animations look too battle-ish to be cutscenes for story purposes. Other obscure guesses could be Earth Power/Fissure and Brine, but they don't resemble those moves very much either.

My money remains on the theory that those moves are known and implemented in X/Y, though.

Given the design schedule of the Pokémon games, it's basically given that whatever those moves are, they were designed before X/Y shipped, or most likely even before X/Y went Beta. There is a point in time called something along the lines of "design freeze", and whatever ideas submitted later than that won't make it into the games. Now, moves are so crucial for the game functionality that whatever moves are submitted after "design freeze" for the base games, won't even make it into the generation of games. All moves that are planned to be utilized at some point during the generation's life time, have to be designed before "design freeze". Hence we see moves such as Steam Eruption, Light of Ruin and Hyperspace Hole being readily coded into X/Y, even though those moves won't be released within the foreseeable future; there is no new Legendary event scheduled before the release of ORAS.

GameFreak, as all game companies, plan ahead. ORAS were probably planned and given an approximate release date around B/W's release. New Formes for Kyogre and Groudon (and subsequently, their eventual signature moves) were probably designed in the months if not weeks after that. There would be plenty of time to implement new moves in X/Y's coding long before "design freeze".

It then strikes me as very, very odd that GameFreak would have to rely on patches to make PGroudon and PKyogre fully compatible with X/Y. Hoopa and Volcanion were scheduled for release way later than ORAS, but their signature moves were coded into X/Y just as you'd expect. If the moves aren't used for Groudon and Kyogre, Thousand Arrows and Thousand Waves are widely believed to have some connection to Zygarde, which is believed to get the Kyurem treatment come the inevitable Kalos revisit. We see pretty consistently that GameFreak have planned ahead, just like they've done in generations past. Vivillon textures, new Floette forme, event moves a-plenty... all coded into XY to ensure compatibility in the least troublesome way - making every shipped copy of the games compatible from the get-go. It doesn't seem reasonable to me that GameFreak would make an exception to their formula, now that they've followed it to a T so far this generation.

I'd be all over the patch-wagon if datamining revealed that no hidden content was stored in XY at launch, but it's becoming evident that GameFreak have decided to stick to their tested and true formula for this generation too. Had they intended to do patches, you'd believe they would be a little more consistent and patch all the new content instead of half of it.

EDIT: Kurona's observation on the Rotom exception is also a viable idea. If PGroudon and PKyogre are kept exclusive to ORAS, even in multiplayer (for some reason), they could potentially have new moves not compatible with X/Y. Those moves could only be available for their Primal Formes, swapping them with familiar, old moves while in base forme à la the Rotom Formes' special moves becoming Thundershock when Rotom reverted to base form (without knowing any other moves).

Yeah, the "hidden content" is a huge part of the reason that all this can be argued so much in the first place. We can also ask why Lati@sites where included but not the other mega stones? IIRC, last time we wasted a few pages of the old thread on this same argument, we sort of reached the conclusion that: "We have no idea why the hell GF does anything, so we can't really bother trying to reason based on what content they decided to include in XY since they obviously didn't include it all." (Some new moves but presumably not all, some new megas but definitely not all.) I personally would guess there are legal and business reasons that event releases in multiple regions around the world that correspond with multiple other companies can't be planned and timed super specifically way in advanced and so some of the "hidden" XY content may just have been stuff they figured they potentially could be releasing before ORAS even though they didn't. But then what's stopping them from presumably patching that content at its own releases? (beside the fact that tons of patches is messy an annoying) basically my reasoning is that the "hidden" content on XY is event content that could be released at variable times where as the missing content is non event ORAS content. But I honestly don't know why they included what they did an not other stuff, I can only guess. Same as you.

Personally I would see not having a patch as far "messier" than having to deal with downloading a patch at this point (with this level of new content) which is I guess why I'm trying to find lots of reasons there likely will be one. But yeah they certainly don't have to patch and the games could still have limited and awkward compatibility. As there games get more connected to the internet and already accept other patches it just seems like a large and obvious "flaw"
in their otherwise "compatible" games.

Anyway, none of us can really explain why GF decided to code XY the way they did. There may end up not being a patch (I'm just crossing my fingers there will be)

Last edited:
I think since B/W transitioned to B2/W2, trying to pin GF on traditions has become a bit shaky. Lately they've been mixing the formula up a bit as far as "what to expect" goes.
Personally, I think it has more of a "once is chance, twice is coincidence..." produced by us only having 2 remakes to base our assumptions on. We know it won't be like FRLG that was basically a graphics update and not much else, but from what we can tell, it'll be even more of a redesign of R/S than HGSS was. Putting it simply, we don't know if it'll be linear, expontential, or even crazier (assuming we could quantify it). We can assume the basic story of "get 8 badges" and "stop Team _____" is still there, and we've learned that most of the NPCs are remaining the same, but besides that, we don't even know we're still actually delivering that letter to Stephen that people assume we'll get our first mega stone from.

I'm pretty sure there would be a patch. All of that unreleased content on XY's code—besides some beta objects I guess—screams "future events" all over. Remember when Mega-Blaziken came around? No way to get in-game. That's what they want to do. They want to release Steam Eruption Volcanion, Hyperspace Hole Hoopa, Thousand Arrows and Thousand Waves Zygarde, and Lati@site in the future similar to how they released Blazikenite and Diancie.

I'm pretty sure there would be a patch. All of that unreleased content on XY's code—besides some beta objects I guess—screams "future events" all over. Remember when Mega-Blaziken came around? No way to get in-game. That's what they want to do. They want to release Steam Eruption Volcanion, Hyperspace Hole Hoopa, Thousand Arrows and Thousand Waves Zygarde, and Lati@site in the future similar to how they released Blazikenite and Diancie.
Assuming Lati@site are to be actual things.

Displaying one legendary as it's original form was an excusable solution in the past. Now we have a minimum of 12 (almost certainly more) new forms on just as many Pokemon (not counting Cosplay-Chu even) for a game that has already received 2 patches and operates online all the time rather than from one specific in-game location. A patch is just the right thing to do to maintain the high level of well done interaction players have right now. not patching when there is this much new content that will be around is just a full on bad move in the eyes of people who are actually looking at the games critically. X and Y players should be able to, at a minimum, "see"all the new content that's being used in their game while they play online with people.

Honestly, I don't even care about the theories of why/what/how I just want a patch because this is 2014. Even if GF doesn't allow for new megastones to be traded to XY, players should at the very least be able to see what they're missing out on. Just the thought of XY not being patched irritates me.

Last edited:
Assuming Lati@site are to be actual things.
At this point, we have more evidence saying that they are a thing, than we have that says that they aren't, regardless of the fact that they look the same.

Also, if we assume that they won't patch X and Y for ORAS, and pull the same things they did before with Giratina and Kyurem, and simply not show it, then why did we get W2B2 and not Grey, and why is ORAS Sixth generation, and not Fifth generation. The third game and remakes were established patterns, after all. Why wouldn't they patch XY for ORAS, when they have the clear capability and the motivation to do so now, where neither was either present or as needed in the past? Origin Giratina, as a singular entity, was not important enough to try to patch on a set of games that would be more difficult to patch in the first place, as the twelve plus mega evolutions are in the generation where two separate patches were released within months of the games' release.

Also notice that every piece of hidden information found in XY could be tied in some way to an event. Events that could, and very likely were, planned in the case that something would go wrong. They can make all of the plans they want, but they have to have back ups for when things just don't go right; this is why I believe the other events were coded into X and Y, even if they aren't going to be used prior to ORAS. Additionally, we have seventeen clear pieces of evidence, already, showing that they aren't done with big reveals for Generation VI, and we know that they are putting a higher focus on player interactivity than ever before. I'm confused as to just why they wouldn't take advantage of the ability to update X and Y, when they are the only games that are now largely relevant to player connections, in the generation where they are emphasizing interactivity so much, and to not patch in an update would only hinder that goal.

Actually, I think Thousand Arrows and Thousand Waves will be more like Kyurem's Ice Burn and Freeze Shock. Both of those moves were in the code for Black and White, but neither could be learned by any Pokémon. When Black 2 and White 2 came out, they were the signature moves for White Kyurem and Black Kyurem respectively. Arrows and Waves will likely be similar and will be added to Zygarde in Z or X2/Y2.
Also, Steam Eruption and Hyperspace Hole are actually listed in Volcanion and Hoopa's respective level-up movesets, unlike V-Create and Victini.
On a related note, I don't think that Lati@site will be an event stone like Blazikenite currently is and Metagrossite might be. With the Latis being version exclusive Pokémon in Hoenn and being post-game just leads me to believe that their Mega Stones will be released in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. It just feels nice and tidy to me.

I saw a video with the information on Volcanion, that you get when you go with it to the Press place in Lumiose. It's in the game for sure. There WILL be a patch. It was possible to battle and trade between RSE and FRLG. It was possible between DPP and HGSS. It would be stupid if ORAS weren't compatible with XY

Even though I expect (or hope for) a patch I want to clarify some things for the arguments against a patch. Because it is kind of reasonable.
I saw a video with the information on Volcanion, that you get when you go with it to the Press place in Lumiose. It's in the game for sure. There WILL be a patch. It was possible to battle and trade between RSE and FRLG. It was possible between DPP and HGSS. It would be stupid if ORAS weren't compatible with XY
ORAS and XY will be compatible with or without a patch. The patch would simply fix the compatibility issues in a more "seamless" way when they would otherwise get handled in ways that are much more "awkward". As in, every potential compatibility issue that arrises from the new content in ORAS has been handled in parrallel examples of previous other mid-gen additional content. Kurona and Cobraroll already explain the majority of this above.
  • New forms are recognized aesthetically as old forms and displayed as such, and the stats/types are still given by the ORAS code.
  • Mega transformation sequences can be simply a text alert or could still show the animation but with no form change. (EDIT: and show the mega symbol like suggested by tea_and_blues below)
  • Pokemon holding new items are restricted by ORAS code from being traded to an XY player.
  • similarly if Primal Kyogre and Groundon are using new moves (as they seem to be) then ORAS code can simply prevent ORAS players form bringing Pokemon with those moves (and any other new moves/abilities) into battles with XY players.
Compatibility is totally possible, and these issues have been solved before. It's just that now we play the game with PSS, and these potential issues are extending to a sizable handful of Pokemon rather than just 1 or 2. It makes these solutions seem kind of sloppy and awkward. When you consider how much interaction takes place on PSS and how pretty much every one will be using new megas when the games come out, etc. These "sloppy" solutions are pretty much guaranteed to be experienced by anyone playing XY online and will certainly erk a lot of casual players of the game who now are much more interactive.
Hidden content is the confusing part. Lati@s mega stones, Diancie, Volcanion, Hoopa, (with their moves) and the Thousands moves are all in XY code yet all the ORAS content is not (including the mega for said XY hidden content, Diancie) You can come up with a lot of reasoning as to why some content is or isn't included but in the end you're guessing so we can't say for sure. And then there's also the small (I think it's small anyways) possibility that some or all of the "hidden" XY content is just beta data that they didn't take out of the games (I think that's really only even possible for Lati@s megas, but idk) However Diancie is already confirmed non-beta, so the fact remains that some content was included and other content wasn't. If there are going to be patches it raises the question: Why not just patch all of it or none of it?

The only reasonable answer I can come up with for that question is this: They are treating event content and ORAS content differently. Patches can make computability less "messy" but a game that requires 10 patches is kind of annoying and a little "messy" in its own way. ORAS requires one patch were as event content would be patched with numerous small patches at each release, which is worth trying to avoid. this still begs the question: If you want to avoid patches why not include the ORAS content in XY too? which is why it's flimsy reasoning. Alternatively you could argue that perhaps all the new ORAS content just wasn't ready in time for XY. Although that is also kind of flimsy reasoning since they control the release date/ plan ahead and all that stuff.

So, like I said in the end we can only guess. But the question: Why not patch all of it or none of it? Is worth considering. Because it does make some of the choices they already made seem a little off if they were planning to patch in new content.
Honestly, I don't even care about the theories of why/what/how I just want a patch because this is 2014. Even if GF doesn't allow for new megastones to be traded to XY, players should at the very least be able to see what they're missing out on. Just the thought of XY not being patched irritates me.
So there is some confusion in the reasoning for how content is or isn't included in XY that makes content patches seem kind of weird. And there is also ways that compatibility can be maintained without a patch. But in the end the reasoning for a patch comes down to exactly what Chill said. The past solutions to compatibility issues are just outdated. It's 2014 and they've already patched the game twice so why wouldn't they do it again? Especially given the magnitude of possible "awkward" and "sloppy" interaction that will ensue if they stick to these outdated solutions?

And then the attitude I imagine Kurona and Cobraroll are taking (though I can't speak for them directly) is more like: The fact that they didn't patch all hidden content seems off and I wouldn't expect too much out of Troll Freak. There will be compatibility without the patch so why would we expect them to?

There is no definitive proof one way or the other. You can really only speculate based on those two different attitudes about how Nintendo will handle it. This isn't really meant to be a strong argument for either case, just an explanation of everything we can figure out/ guess at so that we don't have to repeat the same arguments over and over.
(now I'll turn in this essay...)

Last edited:
Hidden content is the confusing part. Lati@s mega stones, Diancie, Volcanion, Hoopa, (with their moves) and the Thousands moves are all in XY code yet all the ORAS content is not (including the mega for said XY hidden content, Diancie) You can come up with a lot of reasoning as to why some content is or isn't included but in the end you're guessing so we can't say for sure. And then there's also the small (I think it's small anyways) possibility that some or all of the "hidden" XY content is just beta data that they didn't take out of the games (I think that's really only even possible for Lati@s megas, but idk) However Diancie is already confirmed non-beta, so the fact remains that some content was included and other content wasn't. If there are going to be patches it raises the question: Why not just patch all of it or none of it?
While I understand the angle you're coming from, I think you sort of gave the most likely answer yourself in your post - they hadn't finalised the ORAS stuff. While it may have been planned out and detailed, it most likely wasn't completely finished (minor design changes, etc.), and therefore they did not feel comfortable putting it in XY, and realised that the best option was a patch. Diancie, Hoopa, Volcanion and Mega-Latis (although I'd contest the Mega-Latis on the grounds that there's just something not right about those two...) were all meant to be in the base game, and designed by the base game team, and thus they were finished by release and got into the initial release.

The most likely situation is players who do not download the ORAS patch will not be allowed online. After all, there is no reason for them not to download the patch, if they have the capabilities to go online. The patch will also likely be used to balance Mega Kangaskhan, as if I remember correctly, Game Freak said they were looking at a way to manage this.

And then the attitude I imagine Kurona and Cobraroll are taking (though I can't speak for them directly) is more like: The fact that they didn't patch all hidden content seems off and I wouldn't expect too much out of Troll Freak. There will be compatibility without the patch so why would we expect them to?
The angle I'm more coming from is that there will be and probably needs to be a patch - assuming all the ORAS data isn't just super ultra mega amazingly hidden in XY'S - but that for ORAS and XY to communicate this shouldn't be necessary. I just don't feel it's quite right that you have to have gotten something online to use offline features, and I know people keep going on about "oh it's just a few kids, you're making a big deal out of nothing", but at the same time I see no reason for GF to NOT put in these precautions. A few lines of code to save a lot of potential sales? Why the heck not?

What if you just see normal Lopunny model upon mega-evolving, but with the mega's typing/stats and with the mega-evolution symbol by it's name? Perhaps that is why the mega-symbol exists? It'd be a shame if there's no patch, but I've often wondered about that symbol perhaps being a way to bridge these sorts of gaps.

Personally, I can't fathom why there wouldn't be a patch. GF has been shoving player connectivity on us, and setting clear limits on what you can do just because you're against DLC for some reason is just ridiculous. If you hate DLC that much, you should've come up with a way to not need it to produce the best game experience. Since you haven't done that, I expect that patch

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
If you hate DLC that much, you should've come up with a way to not need it to produce the best game experience.
Such as they've done for all (relevant) games straight now? Forward-compatibility?

Keep in mind that as a product, XY is considered "sold" already. Most people who are likely to buy XY, have already done so. XY has earned its money. One of GameFreak's most cynical points of strategy is to make each game look more appealing than the previous ones, and that might mean holding back features. If ORAS have features XY have not, that would somewhat diminish the game experience for XY, but again, XY's main sales period ends with the release of ORAS. Once that main sales period is over, GameFreak has no real reason to do maintenance on XY. They will be focused on making people buy ORAS, and in that case, ORAS exclusive content is considered a sales argument for ORAS rather than a detriment to the XY game experience. Once XY has made all the money it's likely to make, it's time to shift the focus onto ORAS making money instead. ORAS is a product they're trying to sell, XY is a product they've already sold, so why should they bother giving XY graphical upgrades to make it on par with ORAS? It's the ORAS game experience they want to make as good as possible (of course, without raising the bar too high for the next game following it).

If they DO patch XY to be compatible with new moves and Mega Stones, there would be a significant amount of players going "meh, everything new to ORAS that I care for will be available to me in XY, so why should I buy ORAS? I'll stick to XY and trade for the new Pokémon". For this reason (and probably others, such as the logistical hassle of issuing a patch to existing game carts without causing bugs), GameFreak have never maintained old games once new ones were shipped. One of the sales arguments for ORAS is "giving you access to stuff you can't get in your already-bought games, so hurry out and buy the new ones too!", just as it was for Platinum, BW2 and to a lesser extent FRLG, HGSS and Emerald. The former three games even put the exclusive content on the game covers just to underline the point, and movies were made showcasing the new Formes (that remained unavailable in the base games).

Yes, it would be technically possible, and probably not even that hard to do. But it would take away some of the exclusivity used to sell ORAS. Instead, GameFreak have tended to ship games with all the content they wish them to be compatible for. Namely, locations, Pokémon species (though not necessarily Formes), items and moves. Planning is done so far in advance that there wouldn't be issues with non-finalized designs such as suggested above. Those deadlines passed way before the release of XY. Again, GameFreak plan their content in advance.

As for balancing Kangaskhan-M, that could be done mostly the same way as Hypnosis' accuracy was debuffed in Platinum, as well as patching the PSS servers so that Kangaskhan was nerfed slightly for XY-vs-ORAS matches as well as online multiplayer. Kangaskhan-M would still dominate in-game in XY, and in XY-vs-XY local multiplayer, but that would hardly be relevant for any sort of metagame. No need to interfere on the cartridges themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)