Resource ORAS Good Cores (Check Post #714)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mega Gyarados + Roserade Offensive Core

Overview: I recently thought of this core and it seems very fun to use and has great synergy. Mega Gyarados can set up a sub and ddance sweep to clean up games but not before taking care of it's threats. Rotom-W, fairies, etc. are all threats to gyarados. This is where Roserade steps in. Roserade checks fairies bar mega garde and packs sludge bomb to kill them off. I chose roserade over common grass types like venu, amoongus, and serp because the mega slot was taken by gyarados, I want tspikes to cripple walls, venu and amoongus don't have the offensive power and speed roserade has, and serp doesn't have a poision typing. Gyarados also checks psychics that threaten roserade.

Sets: Mega Gyarados is standard sub ddance sweeper and Roserade is LO with tspikes

The Super Shrimp (Gyarados-Mega) @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch

Roserave (Roserade) @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Toxic Spikes

Threats and Partners: The only fairy that Roserade does not check is mega garde and that is a massive threat to the core. It OHKOS Rose with Psyshock and can attack through Gyarados's sub with hyper voice. A steel type fairy resist is recommended like AV metagross or Scizor. Scarfdrill also works with this core as a switch in to raikou, bulky steels, and a spinner.

Enjoy

An Offensive Core I'm playing around with

+

Gallade @ Galladite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Zen Headbutt
- Swords Dance

Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Dazzling Gleam

Although they don't share Defensive Synergy, Mega Gallade and Gengar share decent Offensive Synergy. For instance, Gengar can easily OHKO most Fairy-types (Clefable, Sylveon, Mega Gardevoir, Mega Altaria, Azumarill, Togekiss) and threaten bulky Psychics (Reuniculus, Celebi, Cresselia, Mew, Slowbro) with it's Ghost and Poison STAB moves. In return, Mega Gallade can take on Chansey, Heatran, AV Conkeldurr, AV Raikou, Dragalge, Tyranitar, Bisharp, Mixed Hippowdon, Lati@s, non HP-Flying Thundurus, Amoonguss, Mandibuzz and Mega Venusaur, all common answers to Gengar. In addition, Gengar can also lure Mega Sableye with Dazzling Gleam (Shadow Ball + Gleam 2HKOes Mega Sableye)

Priority users such as Talonflame and Scizor are big threats as they can take a big chunk out of both Pokemon with STAB priority moves. Fast Flying-type Pokemon such as Mega Aerodactyl and Tornadus-T can outspeed and OHKO both members. Mega Metagross and Mega Diancie can OHKO both members of the core but they need to win Speed ties since all 4 Pokemon share the same base speed.

Scarf Heatran is a decent partner to the core as it can reliably switch into and OHKO Scizor and Talonflame. In addition, Heatran can also OHKO Mega Metagross, Weavile and Mega Diancie with it's STAB moves. Rotom-W can also be used as a partner as it can burn Scizor, Hydro Pump Talonflame and Mega Diancie as well as switching in against Mega Metagross, Mega Aerodactyl and Tornadus-T. It can also Volt Switch to get either member of the core safely.

Last edited:
Didn't see this in the archives so here goes:

+
+

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 20 Atk / 252 SpA / 236 Spe
Mild Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt
- Roost

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Hammer Arm
- Ice Punch

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Fire
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

Kyurem-B can easily destroy Hippowdon, Gliscor, bulky Lando-T, Mandibuzz and Water-types which are used to wall Mega Metagross and Magnezone. In return, Mega Metagross helps out against threats that try to revenge kill Kyurem-B such as Conkeldurr, Keldeo, Terrakion and Lati@s. It can also use Ice Punch to defeat Thundurus, Landorus and Garchomp, all of whom are big threats to the core. Magnezone adds to the core by trapping Scizor and Ferrothorn as well as hitting Bisharp very hard (Thunderbolt does about 70% ). It can also serve as a revenge killer who can outspeed up to base 110s and can pivot into Fairy-type and Dragon-type attacks to take some pressure off Mega Metagross.

This core has a big weakness to opposing Scarf users such as Scarf Garchomp, Scarf Kyurem-B and Scarf Heatran, all of whom can kill a member of the core with Super Effective hits. Mega Sableye also doesn't care too much about attacks from the core and can set-up. Fire-types such as Talonflame, Mega Charizard-X and Volcarona can set-up (or simply outspeed in Talonflame's case), then outspeed Scarf Magnezone and KO all members of the core with their Fire-type moves.

Last edited:

Sun

Who cares if one more light goes out? Well I do...
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
hi guys,this is a Balance Core

These two pokèmon have much sinergy between them,Gastrodon Pinsir protects against threats such as raikou,mega Manectric,rotom-w,Magnezone,also offers a nice hedge against talonflame and lando,Pinsir instaed offers a great resistance to the moves grass

Good Teammates for this core are Garchomp,Starmie,also CB Scizor is not bad ,if you suggest other do it as well,i'd be happy n_n

Instead threats to this core are Mega metagross,thundurus-i with Grass Knot,even for the threats,if you find others write them

Sets
Sucker Lunch (Pinsir) @ Pinsirite
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- Frustration
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Quick Attack

Doctor Ciel (Gastrodon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake (for Sub CM Keldeo and Tran)
- Recover
- Toxic

Attachments

Last edited:
Alright i got another core here. Noticed the lack of jirachi cores so heres one:

Mixed jirachi + Charizard-X Offensive core

+

Probably one of my favourite offensive cores to use here. Im pretty sure if you saw the world cup match of tesung vs cronenburg this set should be familier. Basically mixed jirachi is a awsome partner for charizard-x lacking earthquake. On top of this mix jirachi lures in landots and fatchomps thanks to icy wind which is really cool. Also has thunderbolt for stuff like slowbro and azumaril allowing rachi top throw opponents off gaurd. Now charizard-x in return can take advantage of all of his checks being taken out or severly weakend by jirachi and sweep which is why this core is really effective overall. Good partners for this set would be pokemon that can handle lo excadrill so this makes rotom-w and landorus-t great partners. Clefable also makes for a nice partner being able to support zard/rachi with its support set or act as a secondairy win con with cm. AV tornadus works pretty nice with this core being able to give jirachi free switch ins while having solid defensive and offensive synergy with both mons in the core. Gastrodon makes for a interesting partner being able to soak up water type moves while also checking stuff like landot and talonflame. Latias and latios work well being able to support zard and rachi with healing wish or have good offensive synergy with zard-x. Tyranitar can function nice with this core as well being able to also set rocks while pursuit trapping stuff. Keldeo can nuke stuff from the special side with its specs set.

Jirachi @ Expert Belt
Ability: Serene Grace
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 200 Atk / 172 SpA / 136 Spe
Mild Nature
- Iron Head
- Icy Wind
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Thunderbolt

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 74 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Roost
- Dragon Dance

Last edited:

false

maybe this is heaven
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Championis a Past SPL Champion
I searched through all the pages, and unless I'm mistaken I didn't see M-Sab + Talon? Huuuuh? I thought that was super popular.

+

Sableye-Mega @ Sablenite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Foul Play / Fake Out / Metal Burst
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Taunt
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Ez, effective core. Talon's biggest weakness being Stealth Rocks, Sableye bounces those back so Talon doesn't have to fear switching in. Sab also provides utility by knocking off things that annoy Talon ie. knocking Leftovers off of Lando-T, Heatran, and knocking the Helmet from bulky Chomp. Sab also spreads burns making it easier for Talon to stomach hits as it attempts to boost to infinity, attempting to pull off a sweep. Talon in return checks some of Sab's more annoying checks, stuff like opposing Sableye, Clefable, etc etc, it's all pretty self explanatory. I myself utilise this core a lot, I really like it, hopefully it hasn't already been done somewhere and I've made a mistake, because then Ima look stupid ;-;
OO: I listed Fake Out and Metal Burst as other options on Sableye, Fake Out so Sab guarantees a free mega(Chimp would disagree, I think Fake Out is pretty free) or Metal Burst to lure stuff like Zard Y (Sab lives 1 Modest Fire Blast and OHKOs with Metal Burst in return)

Alright i got another core here. Noticed the lack of jirachi cores so heres one:

Mixed jirachi + Charizard-X Offensive core

+

Probably one of my favourite offensive cores to use here. Im pretty sure if you saw the world cup match of tesung vs cronenburg this set should be familier. Basically mixed jirachi is a awsome partner for charizard-x lacking earthquake. On top of this mix jirachi lures in landots and fatchomps thanks to icy wind which is really cool. Also has thunderbolt for stuff like slowbro and azumaril allowing rachi top throw opponents off gaurd. Now charizard-x in return can take advantage of all of his checks being taken out or severly weakend by jirachi and sweep which is why this core is really effective overall. Good partners for this set would be pokemon that can handle lo excadrill so this makes rotom-w and landorus-t great partners. Clefable also makes for a nice partner being able to support zard/rachi with its support set or act as a secondairy win con with cm. AV tornadus works pretty nice with this core being able to give jirachi free switch ins while having solid defensive and offensive synergy with both mons in the core. Gastrodon makes for a interesting partner being able to soak up water type moves while also checking stuff like landot and talonflame. Latias and latios work well being able to support zard and rachi with healing wish or have good offensive synergy with zard-x. Tyranitar can function nice with this core as well being able to also set rocks while pursuit trapping stuff. Keldeo can nuke stuff from the special side with its specs set.

Jirachi @ Expert Belt
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 200 Atk / 172 SpA / 136 Spe
Mild Nature
- Iron Head
- Icy Wind
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Thunderbolt

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 74 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Roost
- Dragon Dance
Great core, but I think you should probably slash Energy Ball as an option over Tbolt on Rachi. It's a nice option to deal with Quagsire and Rhyperior while still damaging Slowbro and Azu.

Last edited:

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
Why hasn't this one been posted yet?

Starmie + Scizor Offensive Core

Starmie is widely known in OU as an excellent offensive and defensive spinner. This core makes use of Starmie's excellent coverage and solid offensive stats to help break walls for its team. LO Starmie is a pretty amazing Pokemon, using Water / Ice / Psychic or Water / Ice / Electric to break a variety of walls. However, Starmie has some threats that it cannot break through by any means. These Pokemon include the likes of Dark types such as Tyranitar, Weavile, and Bisharp, common Pursuit trappers such as the after-mentioned three, and Scizor, and Chansey. This is where Choice Band Scizor comes into play. Scizor easily eliminates Tyranitar & Weavile with a STAB Bullet Punch, while dispatching Bisharp and Chansey with a devastating Superpower. Scizor's threats include fire types and fire type coverage moves, so Heatran, both formes of Charizard, and others are huge threats. Physical walls including Skarmory, Hippowdon, Mega Sableye, Quagsire, and Alomomola. Starmie easily KO's Skarmory, Hippo, Sableye, Quagsire, and most fire types with an LO boosted STAB Hydro Pump while Alomomola falls to a Thunderbolt. Solid partners to this core include Electric types such as Mega Manectric, and Rotom-W, which easily take care of Talonflame, a huge threat to this core.

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump / Surf
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock / Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin

Scizor @ Choice Band
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit / Knock Off

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
Defensive Core (Excadrill + Clefable (+ Gyarados))

McMeghan (Excadrill) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Toxic / Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin / Stealth Rock

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind

This core just laughs at Mega Sableye and CM Clefable, but that is not the only reason why it is very effective. SpD Excadrill is a really underrated set; it has a nice typing which helps him beat pokemon like Raikou, Clefable and Latias. Mold Breaker Earthquake + Iron Head allows Excadrill to hit every pokemon in the OU metagame for neutral damage, with the eception of Talonflame, Charizard Y, Thundurus and Zapdos. However, Excadrill struggles against bulky water types such as Suicune. Clefable supports Excadrill in several ways: it helps against bulky water types, especially CM waters, that can set up against Excadrill. The lack of Magic Guard to be an excellent Scald switchin is unfortunate, but Unaware is in general more effective to beat pokemon like TG 3 Atks Manaphy, SD Garchomp and Mega Gallade, who can all set up in front of Excadrill because they force them out with a supereffective STAB move. Clefable also gives Excadrill crucial wish support, which helps him to stay healthy throughout the match.
This core really struggles with a few pokemon: Keldeo, Metagross, Offensive SD Scizor and almost every fire type can easily beat this core. A third pokemon that worked really well with this core was Bulky Gyarados.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Waterfall
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Roar / Thunder Wave

I prefer Roar over Thunder Wave, but after playing a bit with Thunder Wave, it is a pretty good option to check non-electric type switchins to Gyarados like Clefable, Kyurem-B and Mega Aerodactyl. Gyarados has one big flaw when it comes to walling pokemon like Charizard Y and Keldeo and that is that it really hates Stealth Rocks. Luckily, SpD Excadrill is a really reliable spinblocker and this really helps Gyarados. Gyarados beats fire types like Zard Y, Heatran and Volcarona and other wallbreakers such as Keldeo, Metagross, Manaphy and LO Scolipede. Either phazing opponents with roar to prevent them from setting up and getting some chip damage with rocks up or get a few pokemon paralyzed so CM Clefable will have an easier time setting up is something Gyarados always succeeds to do as long as you don't play stupid, you don't face an electric type like Rotom-W and you can keep the rocks off the field. Gyarados is really consistent at its job as long as you manage to play smart with Excadrill to maintain the hazards control. A few calcs to show Gyarados' bulk:
+3 252 SpA Manaphy Psychic vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Gyarados: 147-174 (37.4 - 44.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
-1 252 Atk Mega Lopunny Return vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Gyarados: 141-166 (35.8 - 42.2%) -- 91.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
-1 252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Zen Headbutt vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Gyarados: 153-180 (38.9 - 45.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Gyarados in Sun: 113-133 (28.7 - 33.8%) -- 98.6% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
+6 252+ SpA Volcarona Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Gyarados: 291-343 (74 - 87.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Gyarados: 126-148 (32 - 37.6%) -- 0.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
I haven't played with a more physical bulky set yet, but with some more EVs to Def, Gyarados might be able to take on threats like Metagross and Scizor more reliable

Patolegend!

Fan of 1000 Arrow 'Slash
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Defensive Core (Excadrill + Clefable (+ Gyarados))
Mold Breaker Earthquake + Iron Head allows Excadrill to hit every pokemon in the OU metagame for neutral damage, with the eception of Talonflame, Charizard Y, Thundurus and Zapdos.
Cool core, but surely Skarm and Gyarados also resist Steel + MB EQ?

Mega Slowbro + Bisharp + Latias Offensive core

This is an offensive core which has good type synergy.This core aside from hitting hard checks plethora of threats such as Mega Charizard X/Y,Keldeo,Mega Metagross,Azumarill,Gengar,Landorus-T,Excadrill,Tyranitar,Mega Lopunny,Mega Gallade & Thundurus.

Even without too much defence investment Mega slowbro can check various threats not only that but it also hits relatively hard with its Dual Stab,Fire Blast is to roast Scizor,Ferrothorn or any grass type which likes to switch in on mega bro.It has pretty good type synergy with Bisharp.SD Bisharp has always been a big threat and its usual checks include Keldeo and bulky mons like hippo,chomp,conk,skarm & fighting type mons which are all taken care by the two partner mons and allow Bisharp to clean late game.Latias is a nice electric & ground check which also provides Hazard control and the invaluable healing wish support which can often turn the tide in your favour.

Good team-mates include Heatran,Landorus-T,Talonflame & Gengar.

Sets:
Slowbro-Mega @ Slowbronite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Psychic
- Fire Blast
- Slack Off

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Healing Wish

Last edited:

davidTheMaster

TheMasterMind
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

At the beginning I wanted to start on a fun core around Mega-Venusaur, I thought why not a FWG core ? I took the decision to choose Suicune and Talonflame here are the explications.
Mega-Venusaur is mainly walled by Heatran who is his best counter imo, after that there's also Pokémons that can used Psychic- and Flying-Types moves that can threaten Mega-Venusaur ,Suicune I choosed the Crocune set, this set is op and the best in my opinion, it helps me against the Fire Type but he also can come on Mega Pinsir, Talonflame CB/Sharp Beak, Mega-/Alakazam LO ( Crocune is 3hko by his Psychic ) the main pokémons able to hurt Suicune are the big Grass- and Electric-Type, all are checked by Mega-Venusaur, For Talonflame I was going on a SpD but as I said I wanted that core to be fun so I went for the Bulk Up set which is very formidable if your opponent isn't prepared you can easily win, these main counters are pokemons who are immune to Will-O-Wisp, who can inflict a status problem and can hit on these weakness, note that Bulky Waters are handled by Suicune and Mega-Venusaur.

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
Careful Nature
- Acrobatics / Brave Bird
- Roost
- Bulk Up
- Taunt / Will-O-Wisp

Venusaur is like Excadrill in Sand. he is the Sweeper with his ability Chlorophyll which double his speed and also with a good move coverage and an access to Synthesis which restores 66% of his life under the Sun or Sleep Powder that can asleep a pokemon preventing Mega-Charizard-Y and Venusaur to Sweep, main checks are Chansey, Lati@s, Tornadus-Therian. Starmie is a spinner here, classic role here, important because I'm playing Zard-Y who is loosing 50% of his life just coming on the field otherwise He is also checking Heatran and Keldeo, 2 annoying mons for Zard and Venu (especially outside of sun)
Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
Nature Modest / Timid
- Fire Blast / Flametrowher
- Focus Blast
- Solar Beam
- Roost

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 72 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder / Synthesis
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock

Last edited:
Offensive Core: Serperior + Mega-Metagross + Keldeo

I've seen Serperior cores featuring Waters like Gyarados and Azumarill's but none with Keldeo. Keldeo and Metagross(Mega) are amazing together and when coupled with Serperior, you've got half of a good team. Being totally serious, this core hates Talonflame and would want anything to beat it. That being said, Stallbreaker isn't that hated and Metagross can deal it some damage because it's not armed with Flare Blitz. Keldeo can hurt it because it in that form it is undeniably slower than all three core Pokemon who wrap the high speed offence core.

Serperior kicks it off and a Contrary / Leaf Storm hits lots of things hard and nets OHKOs on Azumarill's Assault Vest Set (100 HP/80 SpD is bulky though). HP Rock can be used for TFlame, MegaZardY and Volcarona but I like crushing Ferrothorn and Scizor as well as hitting things like Skarmory. Giga Drain is run in case Leaf Storm runs out of PP. Synthesis is great for Serperior as it can recover the LO Damage. Glare can be used to trap MegaZardY, TFlame and pretty much shut them down if they don't have a Heal Bell/Aromatherapy ally. Metagross needs its 2 STAB moves which get it good coverage on pretty much the whole meta. Earthquake is required to OHKO Heatran after its annoying Air Balloon is gone. Hammer Arm can be used but Heatran needs to be beaten but if it suits your team, idk. Ice Punch allows it to hit other Dragons for massive damage especially Base Altaria, Salamence, Dragonite, Garchomp for 4x and easy OHKOes (except Dragonite but if Rocks are run, yes). Pursuit can hit Gengar if it switches and covers Serperior's problem with it. Bullet Punch can be used to OHKO Diancie without even needing to outspeed it and allows it to pick off weak foes. Keldeo's SubCM set is really annoying especially since Klefki and Thundurus hate a Sub user. All moves are kinda obvious. Scald and Secret Sword get good coverage over the meta especially on Blissey and Chansey where it can pick a weak defence (although Steel types love it because of their high defence). Calm Mind allows it to hit super hard and boost its bulk. This trio works because one covers the other. Serperior has 5 crippling weaknesses which is tonnes in OU and Metagross can blitz through Ice, Poison, Flying and more as Keldeo covers Fire. Although TFlame is a problem, if it doesn't OHKO Serp, Glare can cripple it and set up Keldeo. Team Support like Aerodactyl would be nice as it is fast but the mega slot is used making Metagross viable, unless you want TTar but Sand Stream doesn't work and no-one even uses Unnerve.

Serperior @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Hidden Power [Rock] / Hidden Power [Ground]
- Giga Drain / Synthesis / Glare

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake / Hammer Arm
- Bullet Punch / Ice Punch / Pursuit

Keldeo @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Secret Sword

Offensive Core: Mega-Scizor + Azumarill

I'm surprised this core hasn't been posted yet with so many offensive scizor teams either paired with manaphy/keldeo, azumarill, or both. This core has seen use on the ladder and in tournaments with user Bad Ass implementing in his team. He used this core vs somalia who was using the same core in his team. This should speak volumes to how good it is. Sciz+azu is a great core that breaks for each other and share some common checks that are defeated through applied pressure from both mons. They have amazing offensive synergy and apply tons of pressure on opposing teams with their powerful priority stab moves. In terms of defensive synergy, I guess azu can takes those fire moves aimed at scizor and other strong neutral attacks like fighting while scizor takes grass, poison, and steel moves aimed at azu. Anyway, the point of this core isn't really to look at the type synergy but what they can accomplish together. Because they share common checks in ferro, keldeo, etc, those mons are pretty easy to pressure and wear down quickly due to the offensive nature of this core. If one goes down, the other can sweep.

Threats to this core are fast electric types like raikou and thundurus who can take a bullet punches and aqua jets and hit back hard. If you opt to run a bulkier spread on scizor, they shouldn't be too much of a problem. Or you can try a different item on azu like maybe splash plate or pixie plate. Mega Venusaur is another huge threat since he can take hits from both mons and hit back hard with hp fire for scizor and giga drain for azu. Good teammates on a balanced team would be hippo or your own raikou and on offense, weavile is a nice partner or even kyurem if thundy isn't packing focus blast. Also, some ways of dealing with venu is pretty nice like psychic mana to lure, latios, tornadus, etc.

Here are the sets:

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Superpower

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
Happiness: 0
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Superpower

Here is a cool replay vs who I believe is tele. Even if it isnt, it was still an alright game. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-244778591

Last edited:

Poek

squadala
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Official Ladder Tournamentis a defending SPL Championis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
Virizion + Manaphy offensive core

+

Virizion is an interesting choice in the OU metagame, it's good defensive typing coupled with SD, decent STABs and good coverage makes him quite threatening. Thanks to its good SDef, it's very easy to switch into resisted attacks and even some super effective ones, it's a cool check to Manaphy which everyone seems to be running right now, as well as Hippowdon/Ferrothorn/Heatran/Slowbro bla bla bla cores. Virizion's access to Stone Edge just makes it better and luring the likes of Talonflame and Tornadus-T on the switch is just amazing. However Virizion has some problems at dealing with certain bulky grasses like Mega Venusaur, Amoonguss and Celebi. Enter Manaphy. Not only Manaphy lures in Mega Venusaur, Amoonguss and Celebi, it loves Tornadus-T being removed from the match, which Virizion can do. They have pretty big type synergy themselves, Virizion resisting electric and grass for Manaphy while Manaphy takes on fire- and ice-types. Recommended partners for this core are teammates that are able to take on Talonflame, Psychic and Fairy types with ease. Therefore pairing it up with Heatran is a good idea and forms the famous fire water grass core.

sets
Virizion @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Scald
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball

Manaphy has psychic and shadow ball to provide near perfect coverage and hitting most of the grasses and psychics on the tier. You miss out on Tangrowth, but Virizion sets up on it anyway. Enjoy

Got another core. sorry for the picture of the mons. to lazy too get the real ones lol

Mega pinser+Special Victini offensive Core

nice offensive core with mega pinser and special victini. pretty much special victini destroys everything that comes in thanks to its massive special move pool and mega pinser takes advantage of this becuase the set weakens all of mega pinsers switch ins. Grass knot weakens stuff like hippo and bro glaciate handles fat chomps and landorus-t while thunder hits bulky water types. You can even run energy ball for rotom-w. Naturally with victini punching massive holes in the opposing team mega pinser can come in later in the game to clean up the mess or wallbreak further to allow a third pokemon to come in a sweep. Of course this core does have its flaws. For one its really weak to rocks and prone to being revenged by talonflame and bisharp. Scarf tyranitar and excadrill also are huge threats to this core. Good teamates such as a ground type like garchomp or hippowdon work well as they can handle the pokemon above while also setting up rocks. Hazard removal is really important on this core as m pinser has a 4x rock weakness and victini has a 2x weakness, for this reason latias and latios as well as excadrill make for great partners. Water types such as keldeo, manaphy and azumarill have great synergy with this core as they can help remove ground types. Cobalion can make for a interesting teamate for some of the more annoying problems to this core such as bisharp and weavile. Cleaners also work really well with this core becuase victini and pinser as mentioned can punch massive holes in the opposing team. This makes weavile a good partner thanks to its speed and power. Rotom-w is a notable partner as a pivot who can switch into landot which while vic+pinser can hit it hard do not like taking a eq or stone edge. Watch out for mega diancie.

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Return
- Quick Attack
- Swords Dance

Victini @ Expert Belt
Ability: Victory Star
Timid Nature
- Blue Flare
- Energy Ball / Focus Blast / Grass Knot
- Glaciate
- Thunder

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Got another core. sorry for the picture of the mons. to lazy too get the real ones lol

Mega pinser+Special Victini offensive Core

nice offensive core with mega pinser and special victini. pretty much special victini destroys everything that comes in thanks to its massive special move pool and mega pinser takes advantage of this becuase the set weakens all of mega pinsers switch ins. Grass knot weakens stuff like hippo and bro glaciate handles fat chomps and landorus-t while thunder hits bulky water types. You can even run energy ball for rotom-w. Naturally with victini punching massive holes in the opposing team mega pinser can come in later in the game to clean up the mess or wallbreak further to allow a third pokemon to come in a sweep. Of course this core does have its flaws. For one its really weak to rocks and prone to being revenged by talonflame and bisharp. Scarf tyranitar and excadrill also are huge threats to this core. Good teamates such as a ground type like garchomp or hippowdon work well as they can handle the pokemon above while also setting up rocks. Hazard removal is really important on this core as m pinser has a 4x rock weakness and victini has a 2x weakness, for this reason latias and latios as well as excadrill make for great partners. Water types such as keldeo, manaphy and azumarill have great synergy with this core as they can help remove ground types. Cobalion can make for a interesting teamate for some of the more annoying problems to this core such as bisharp and weavile. Cleaners also work really well with this core becuase victini and pinser as mentioned can punch massive holes in the opposing team. This makes weavile a good partner thanks to its speed and power. Rotom-w is a notable partner as a pivot who can switch into landot which while vic+pinser can hit it hard do not like taking a eq or stone edge.

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Return
- Quick Attack
- Swords Dance

Victini @ Expert Belt
Timid Nature
- Blue Flare
- Grass Knot / Focus Blast / Energy Ball
- Glaciate
- Thunder
Definitely slash Eball first, as it hits Rotom-W much harder which is really bothersome for Mega Pinsir. Pretty sure it still 2HKOs Hippowdon most of the time. Note that mega Diancie is threatening to this core, only fearing grass moves from Victini. Nice core, lure Victini is solid with all the tankchomps running around.

Mur

If you're not first you're last
Clefable+Ground+Steel
(hippo and skarm sprites are simply used to represent their respective types)

Surprised that this core has not been added yet seeing as it's the new build for most balance nowadays. That being said I'm sure you've all seen this core before at some point throughout the recent weeks. While I have chosen clefable+hippo+skarm as the example it's important to note that this core can effectively be customized to your heart's content. For example the ground can be changed to gliscor or the steel to ferrothorn. This makes the core very dynamic and versatile allowing it to take on a majority of the meta which is why it has become the premier balance core as of late. I'l try my best to elaborate on this build as there are many options to go through.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
Sassy Nature OR Calm Nature w/ max Spe IVs
IVs: 0 Spe
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave/Flamethrower/Filler

Clefable is the only mon that stays static on the core and for good reason. Clefable is typically calm mind on this build to prevent the core from being too passive but an unaware set could be useful on a semi-stall/stall build. The spread is the standard spdef clef set that allows it to wall and set up on various electrics in the tier such as raikou, thundy, and manectric while avoiding the 2HKO from latios's psyshock. The sassy nature and spe IVs are used to avoid the 2HKO from ferro's gyro ball making ferrothorn 100% set up fodder to clef. If you can care less about this and want the speed, especially on a set with stored power or psyshock, then feel free to go calm with max speed IVs. Most commonly the last slot on clef is t-wave or flamethrower but it can really be anything in clefable's insane movepool. If luring and crippling things like heatran, talonflame, zard-y, and metagross is important for the team t-wave is the best option. Knock off can be used for similar reasons to t-wave but is more common among the hazard stacking versions of this build so the opposing defensive cores lose their leftovers or other useful items so they can succumb to the the pressure of the hazards. Flamethower, Ice beam, Focus blast, and Thunderbolt are used to lure in or break through their respective targets and are typically used when the team is weak to something weak to these coverage moves. Psyshock is basically only used to win cm wars against some other mons but this should not be your only defense against opposing calm mind mons. Stored power can also be used to win cm wars and also has the added effect of completely demolishing stall bar gothitelle shenanigans due to everything going down to sp or moonblast except unaware clef who must be spdef to avoid the 2HKO and moonlight has only 8pp so it gets stalled down anyways. Chances are there are some other options I've missed but at this point they are either way too niche or are usually covered by the rest of the core (Stealth Rock)

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge/Toxic/Whirlwind

The premier ground type in the core is usually this fat thing right here. Hippo usually uses it's standard spread as shown above to form a near unbreakable core to electrics with clefable (gk+iron tail thundy??). A more defensive or spdefensive spread can be used if the team requires it. Stealth Rock is typically used on the ground slot and hippo is no exception here. Slack off is the standard recovery option to keep hippo healthy throughout the game. Earthquake is standard stab typically used to check the likes of bisharp, zard-x, excadrill, and other ground weak threats. The last slot has a few options that can be used. Stone Edge allows hippo to stop birds 100% namely spdef talon as edge 2HKOs even when burned. Toxic allows hippo to cripple common switch-ins which are mostly waters like rotom-w, keldeo, or any of the bros which is very nice due to these builds typically lacking a water resist bar ferrothorn. Whirlwind is a nice stop to mons trying to set-up on hippo and is also very nice in combination with hazard staking to rack up damage on opposing teams. Other coverage moves such as Ice fang or Crunch can be used but are typically weaker options then the aforementioned moves.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Toxic/Fire Blast/Endure

The most annoying set to become popular in oras also fits on this core. Chomp is typically used on more offensively inclined teams including this core due to the lack of recovery and willingness to send it into strong physical attackers. Spread is standard to outpace jolly bisharp while retaining as much bulk as possible. The ben gay spread that has some spdef investment can be used here if you wish but I am not too familiar with it so if someone could give it to me and explain what it checks I'll add it in n_n Fatchomp is a fantastic bird check on the core as talon basically kills itself if it attacks chomper and it easily phazes it out with d-tail if talon tries to taunt it to prevent rocks or toxic. Stealth Rock and eq are standard not much to explain there. Dragon tail is the other standard move on fatchomp that phazes set-up sweepers or racks up hazard damage on the opposing team. The last slot typically consists of one of these three moves. Fire blast lures in ferrothorn and handles scizor much better than it does without it. Toxic works the same way it does on hippo by luring in common switch-ins to chomp such as hippo or slowbro to cripple them to limit their longevity. Endure is used as a last ditch effort to get off more helmet+rough skin damage plus it's pretty funny watching metagross lose half it's hp killing a chomp at 1%. I've seen rest talk used on helmchomp but it loses out on some valuable moves but it should be noted that it is a viable option to consistently stop the physical attackers that really hate the recoil from touching this beast.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 192 SpD / 72 Spe
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Knock Off/Facade

While gliscor usually forces rocks to be carried on the steel therefore potentially losing out on spikes support it does provide the core with some nice offensive presence and is also one of the very few mons in the tier to be known as a gengar "switch-in". While being 4x weak to the common coverage option for electrics may be a flaw the pure bulk from the spdef investment is enough to live a hit and retaliate with a stab eq so gliscor is still a fantastic check to the electric types of ou. I mentioned it before but I'm going to say it again because I cannot express enough as to how important this is but gliscor is one of the only few mons that can be called a gengar "switch-in" (watch for icy wind though :/ ). Most of the other builds of this core are weak to gengar and gliscor is the only mon (that is apart of the core anyways) that can reliably switch in to gengar. Sd+roost allows gliscor to set up on common defensive mons such as Msab and clefable lacking ice beam so it can start tearing through opposing defensive cores. Earthquake is standard stab to handle electrics and other ground weak mons. Knock off is used to cripple switch-ins to glisc and also to hit mons that are immune to eq once it has been boosted. Facade is mainly for opposing gliscor but keep in mind you now have no way of hitting gengar when using facade. Other niche moves like Stone Edge or Ice Fang can be used for various reasons but are typically not as consistent as knock or facade.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn/Knock Off

Lando-t imo is the weakest choice for this slot as it is outclassed by fatchomp on more offensive teams and outclassed by hippo on fatter teams but nonetheless is still a nice choice if you are very weak to sand offense or want something that grabs momentum on the team. The spread is the standard defensive lando-t spread that speed creeps rotom-w running speed and takes one hp ice from manectric at full hp. Rocks and eq are standard and preform no different role than any of the previous ground types. Stone Edge takes care of the various bird types in OU that lando-t handles such as talonflame or Mpinsir. U-turn is the most common option for the last slot as it is lando-t's advantage over the other ground types it competes with but knock off can be used if need be. You typically want to use lando-t on more offensively oriented versions of this build that love to have momentum from u-turn and are slightly weaker to sand rush drill. It's also important to note that lando-t is the strongest offensively of the ground types in this role (bar gliscor after it boosts) giving it another niche to preform in this slot. You must be aware that if using lando-t as your ground that you are relying on clefable to stop electrics from going through your team since lando-t does not have the special bulk to take hp ices like hippo or gliscor can.

Special Mentions:
There are a few other options in this slot that are more niche but deserve a special mention. Exadrill's spdef set can also be used here as a spinner and a dual ground+steel mon but beware of the weaknesses it brings with the last part of the core. Gastrodon can be used to completely wall electrics and also makes the core way less susceptible to water attacks which is a common weakness of this build. Quagsire can be used on more stallish builds and acts similarly to gastrodon just minus the water immunity and add unaware. Rhyperior can also be used if the team is very weak to flying types or zard-x but it lacks recovery so keep that in mind when building/playing. Dugtrio is also a pretty cool option if Msab is paired with the core (shoutouts to ABR for making some sick sab+clef+duggy team) since both clefable and Msab enjoy heatran being removed and duggy also pressures electric types to make the perfect play all the time due to it outspeeding and trapping all of them. There may be more niche ground options I have missed if I found more or if someone points one out I'l add it to this special mentions section.

The steel type can be an ass load of different mons so I'l just go in-depth with the most common options and leave a special mentions section like I did with the ground section.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
Careful Nature
- Defog/Spikes/Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Whirlwind/Taunt
- Iron Head/Brave Bird/Counter

Skarm is probably the most common steel type used in this build and for good reason. Walling all the powerful fairies while providing either defog or spikes support is no easy feat. The spread is the standard spdef skarm spread that allows it to take on a majority if the spattackers in the tier. A physically defensive spread can be used if you wish but spdef is more effective in this meta due to strong spatk fairy types such as Mgarde and Mdiancie and skarm's natural def and typing is usually enough to wall a lot of physical attackers regardless. Whether you run spikes, Stealth Rock, or defog in the first slot is dependent on what the rest of the team needs and changes with all the different variations of the build. Roost is standard recovery to keep skarm healthy throughout the match which is incredibly important considering skarm typically plays an important role in the team's hazard game. Whirlwind is used to phaze set-up sweepers that try to use skarm as fodder and can also be used as an incredible weapon when paired with spikes support. Taunt can be used on a faster spread or just for general utility against opposing hazard setters or defensive mons. Iron head is the most common option for skarm's attacking move since it is being used as a fairy counter but brave bird can also be a viable option if you're weak to fighting or grass mons. Counter is also a nice option to beat Mgross or other strong physically offensive mons that try to muscle through skarm.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes/Stealth Rock/Filler
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip/Thunder Wave/Protect

Ferro is a great steel to fit into the core as it is one of two water resists that fit into the build. Ferro also has a multitude of different moves that give it multiple ways of supporting the team. No other steel can provide spikes, water resist, and t-wave all in one slot making ferro a strong contender to use in the core. The spread is the standard ferrothorn spread that has been used for all of gen 6 not much to explain there. The hazard you choose to run is dependent on what the other members of the core contain and whether your hazard remover is a spinner or defogger. The "Filler" in the hazard slot represents the moves slashed over power whip since it's possible to build the core to where the ground type has rocks and you have a defogger so ferrothorn has the freedom of running power whip plus one of those other options. Leech seed helps give ferro some longevity as it lacks reliable recovery, it gets off chip damage on opposing switch-ins, and also makes it a bit easier for the next mon to come in and take a hit due to the leech seed recovery. Gyro ball is ferro's attack of choice due to it's low speed and that it is meant to check fairies. I guess iron head is an option to use over gyro if you are using t-wave but it is not too necessary of a change. Power whip allows ferro to check various waters in the tier such as azumaril, keldeo locked into anything but secret sword, gyarados, and manaphy. Thunder Wave cripples common switch-ins to ferro including heatran, talonflame, and the zards and is generally annoying as all hell. Protect can be used to stall leech seed recovery and gain leftovers since ferro lacks synthesis or some kind of reliable recovery. Protect also helps scout against choiced users that threaten ferro like scarf tran or specs keldeo.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 192 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt/Roar
- Toxic/Will-O-Wisp/Flash Cannon/Earth Power
- Lava Plume

Heatran @ Leftovers/Power Herb
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Toxic/Solar Beam

Heatran may not be the greatest stop to fairies, bar clefable, due to the weakness to fighting/ground coverage but it provides a massive amount of versatility in return. I actually had no idea how to slash the set due to multiple entirely different sets fitting in here so I just broke it up into a few different sets to make it easier to read although the spdef set still has a stupid number of possibilities anyways. The spread is the standard for both sets allowing tran to either take spatks or stallbreak effectively. The spdef set will be discussed first. Stealth Rock is only used if the ground type on the team lacks it otherwise this slot can be used for one of trans various support options. Lava Plume is the stab of choice and gives off a 30% chance to burn whatever is being switched into tran. Earth Power can be used to take out opposing heatran or get off damage on mons resistant to it's fire stab. Flash cannon is a reliable stab to take out fairy types or rock types trying to switch into lava plume. Taunt allows heatran to stop clefable from setting up and also provides utility against opposing defensive cores. Toxic lures in and cripples water types such as keldeo, manaphy, rotom-w, and slowbro that try to switch into heatran. Wow is more niche due to lava plume having a high burn rate but can be used to cripple physical attackers that threaten tran, namely azumarill. Roar can phaze set-up sweepers trying to set up on tran but is generally less useful than taunt due to not being able to handle clefable as reliably. The magmatran stallbreaker set's moves work the same way as stated above just with a few variations. Magma Storm is the bread and butter of the set that gets off nice damage along with trapping mons in against heatran allowing it to do what it wants with it's trapped prey. Solarbeam+Power Herb is a cool option to lure in and slaughter water types that try to switch into heatran. This set should be used on teams in need of a dedicated stallbreaker and where offensive fairies are not extremely threatening to the team.

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite/Knock Off/Superpower
- Roost
- Swords Dance

Mzor is of course going to be in the conversation anywhere a defensive steel type is needed. The spread is the standard bulky Mzor spread capable of living two earthquakes from lando-t and avoiding the 2HKO from Mgarde's focus blast. Mzor checks a ton of mons that can threaten this core including gengar, Mgarde, Malt, and Mgross. Bullet punch is the standard stab move of choice and has priority to potentially sweep late game. Bug bite is a more powerful stab move that takes care of slowbro, bisharp, ferrothorn, and other mons resistant to bullet punch while having more power than knock off and avoiding the stat drops caused by superpower. Knock off is not as strong as bug bit but can be used to cripple scizor's checks early-mid game so they can be vulnerable to a late game scizor sweep. Superpower can be used to lure in heatran and take off a fat chunk of hp off of it which is nice with calm mind clefable. Roost and swords dance are the set's main moves and make Mzor an alternate win con as well as give it some general longevity.

Special Mentions:
Spdef Excadrill can again be used here as a spinner but it exaggerates the weakness to water way further than most people would like. Bronzong is a very cool option that is able to wall Mgarde and set up rocks in one slot which no other mon is capable of doing. Klefki is another great option that possesses priority spikes and thunder wave and is also a very solid weavile counter which has become a threat in the current meta. Vanilla scizor can also be a nice option for this slot if your mega is already taken and you want that bug/steel typing along with defog support. Jirachi is also a very good contender for this slot as it is another one of the few Mgarde counters available, plus it has a massive movepool to abuse for the core. There is honestly a shit load more steels that can go here that are pretty niche but usable but I think by now it's obvious as to what will and will not work here.

Overall this core works to cover a majority of the metagame while having some sort of offensive presence through cm clefable, hazard stacking, or some other win con depending on how the core is built. Typically this is the backbone to balance teams given that the core is defensive but can be tailored to be apart of both bulky offensive and stall teams through the various different options that can be run on this core. No core is perfect though and this one is no different. Depending on what mons you choose some type of balance breaker out there will most likely be able to break through and must be accounted for during the teambuilding process. Specifically I have found that magmatran and most importantly zard-y threaten these builds immensely. Zard-y is getting it's own section at the end of the threat list on how to handle it since it is actually near impossible to cover it without restricting yourself to the latis who lose to zard-y builds regardless. Now for the flaw you all have probably been thinking since reading the first line yes, this core has no water resist bar ferrothorn who still can lose to the likes of keldeo and azumarill. Technically you can call this the clef+ground+steel+water/grass core because that fourth slot should always be taken by something that strongly resists water. Mons like tentacruel, slowbro, the latis, tangrowth, celebi, and Mvenu compliment the core very well depending on what exactly you need after the main core has been built.

Seeing this beast in team preview just drops your hopes of winning. Although the latis are not particularly terrible partners to the core limiting your self them is not always the best for the team and will require you to have a stronger water resist. Not to mention the common zard-y builds have a pursuit trapper so you are not 100% safe from zard's rampage even if you run one of the latis. Obviously the easiest thing you can do during teambuilding is making sure your offensive mons check zard but obviously that is not stopping it from tearing apart your defense backbone. Other small things like t-wave on clef or ferro or any other small set tweaks to remove as many free opportunities for zard to come in should all be taken to weaken the strain it puts on you in battle. Sadly that's basically all you can do teambuilding wise 0_o Keeping up rocks and vastly outplaying the opponent is easier said than done but here's a replay of PDC beating a zard-y with a semi-stall/fat balance team to give you an idea of what to do. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ou-71426 although krig made some questionable plays this still shows how you need to maneuver around the zard-y style teams when using these zard-y weak balance teams. Also I know PDC is not using this core exactly but I choose this replay because it showcases how to play around zard-y with a zard-y weak balance team and it isn't like his build is that incredibly different anyways.

Despite the weakness to zard-y this core is very effective and is proven by how common it is becoming in the metagame. I'm sure even today in some wcop games you may see this core in action. This post was absurdly long but this core probably needed it since there's so many variations of it and given how popular it is getting someone needed to do it n_n

Balance Core starring Krookodile, Gengar, and Rotom-W

You probably think I'm (something along the lines of) crazy for running Krookodile outside of UU, but please hear me out! It's a powerful mon, I swear!

I've been mucking around with different Krookodile sets in OU and choice scarf/moxie is pretty cool for late-game cleanup. Krook has great offensive synergy with Gengar, as they each break down their checks and counters with strong STAB and coverage moves. EVs are run-of-the-mill 252/252/4, but they can of course be altered to what your team requires. Krook and Gengar have problems with strong priority coming from the likes of Azumarill and Talonflame, so Rotom-W does a great job of checking these threats. Scarf Krook also can be played as a surprise revenge killer for faster mons like M-Lop, MegaGross, Lati@s, and so on.

Unfortunately, this core lacks a proper switch in to HO teams and specific things like Lopunny or the Lati twins. You also have to play carefully around DD M-Altaria. Weavile can also give you a bit of trouble if Rotom is sufficiently weakened/overloaded. That's where pairing this core with Scizor can help, regardless of the set (M-Sciz works well, as does Defog or CB). The core also appreciates hazard support, for reasons self-explanatory. TankChomp is neat if you want to check Excadrill under sand and other miscellaneous physical attackers. Additionally, a check to Scarf Keldeo is a definite help.

And that's about all I can think of! Please let me know if there are any improvements that could be made or ask for clarification regarding sets, etc.

UPDATE: Following suggestions from AM (as seen below) Krook's nature/set have been improved (previously Adamant with Low Kick>Pursuit) for reasons stated.

Krookodile @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit

Gengar @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Icy Wind

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Last edited:

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Balance Core starring Krookodile, Gengar, and Rotom-W

You probably think I'm (something along the lines of) crazy for running Krookodile outside of UU, but please hear me out! It's a powerful mon, I swear!

I've been mucking around with different Krookodile sets in OU and choice scarf/moxie is pretty cool for late-game cleanup. Krook has great offensive synergy with Gengar, as they each break down their checks and counters with strong STAB and coverage moves. EVs are run-of-the-mill 252/252/4, but they can of course be altered to what your team requires. Krook and Gengar have problems with strong priority coming from the likes of Azumarill and Talonflame, so Rotom-W does a great job of checking these threats. Scarf Krook also can be played as a surprise revenge killer for faster mons like M-Lop, MegaGross, Lati@s, and so on.

Unfortunately, this core lacks a proper switch in to HO teams and specific things like Lopunny or the Lati twins. You also have to play carefully around DD M-Altaria. Weavile can also give you a bit of trouble if Rotom is sufficiently weakened/overloaded. That's where pairing this core with Scizor can help, regardless of the set (M-Sciz works well, as does Defog or CB). The core also appreciates hazard support, for reasons self-explanatory. TankChomp is neat if you want to check Excadrill under sand and other miscellaneous physical attackers. Additionally, a check to Scarf Keldeo is a definite help.

And that's about all I can think of! Please let me know if there are any improvements that could be made or ask for clarification regarding sets, etc.

Krookodile @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- Low Kick

Gengar @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Icy Wind

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
I don't really understand why you would use Choice Scarf Krookodile without Pursuit. It's one of the biggest selling points of putting a scarf on it in the same vein as Scarf Tyranitar and Bisharp and you have Rotom-W to voltturn for trapping and Gengar for breaking balance and utilzing Krookodiles ability to trap Psychics like Mega Alakazam (I think you should run Jolly btw) to stop it from losing speed ties to things like the Latis or getting revenge killed. You're basically allowing most of the psychics that threaten your partners in Gengar and Rotom-W right now to get away when you can remove some of their annoying offensive checks like the one I stated previously.

I don't really understand why you would use Choice Scarf Krookodile without Pursuit. It's one of the biggest selling points of putting a scarf on it in the same vein as Scarf Tyranitar and Bisharp and you have Rotom-W to voltturn for trapping and Gengar for breaking balance and utilzing Krookodiles ability to trap Psychics like Mega Alakazam (I think you should run Jolly btw) to stop it from losing speed ties to things like the Latis or getting revenge killed. You're basically allowing most of the psychics that threaten your partners in Gengar and Rotom-W right now to get away when you can remove some of their annoying offensive checks like the one I stated previously.
What would you suggest putting Pursuit over on the moveset, then? And would an alternative spread of Jolly: 68HP/252Atk/188Spe (outpacing M-Zam) suffice?

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
What would you suggest putting Pursuit over on the moveset, then? And would an alternative spread of Jolly: 68HP/252Atk/188Spe (outpacing M-Zam) suffice?
I'd just go max for the sake of being a potential Knock Off absorber in an emergency situation and still having that 311 speed to threaten the morons that still run the 184 Speed Zard-X instead of max on its offensive DDance variant, along with other bad speedcreep benchmarks that punish builders who still do this. Helps with Knocking Off Scarf Lando-Ts Scarf and anything below it like Scarf Excadrill as well. I'd run pursuit over Low Kick personally.

I'd just go max for the sake of being a potential Knock Off absorber in an emergency situation and still having that 311 speed to threaten the morons that still run the 184 Speed Zard-X instead of max, along with other bad speedcreep benchmarks that punish builders who still do this. Helps with Knocking Off Scarf Lando-Ts Scarf and anything below it like Scarf Excadrill as well. I'd run pursuit over Low Kick personally.
Got it, thanks so much for your input! I'll update my post immediately :)

Hello, its been a while but im back again with another core for you people to build around.
This time it will be a fairly simple FWG core.
Im not sure if this has been posted before but i rather doubt it.

Victini+Gyarados+Sceptile

The idea is fairly simple, Victini is here to break balance and stall while Gyarados and Sceptile pick up the pieces of whats left of the team after victini is done with it. A FWG core also always provides you with good coverage. In other news Victini uses U-turn to safely pivot Sceptile or Gyarados to get them in safely.

As usual ill be getting a bit more in dept here.

Victini

Victini is this cores stall/balance breaker, and it does so quite effectively. A Choice Banded V-Create is certain to leave a dent in whatever it touches, and with Bolt Strike bulky Water pokemon suddenly start to fear this Fire type wallbreaker, it can pivot out into Gyarados or Sceptile with U-turn or it can choose to use its secondary STAB Zen Headbutt so its at least able to hit Charizard Mega X and Quagsire.

Gyarados

Gyarados is this cores Sweeper, With Waterfall as its main STAB and Dragon Dance to boost its Attack and Speed stat it already is a force to be reckoned with, pair this with Intimidate so it can set up easier and Substitute so it can get Statused as easily and youve got yourself a monster, this set uses Bounce as its secondary STAB option to help with Leftovers recovery and so it has more coverage tho hit other pokemon, most notably Mega Venusaur and Keldeo.

Sceptile

Sceptile is the cores cleaner, here to pick up the pieces of what Victini and Gyarados have left behind, its also here to take Electric type attacks for Gyarados, its mere presence is enough for Rotom to not want to Attack Gyarados or Victini head on, Dragon Pulse is its main STAB option and Focus Blast is for coverage purposes, Giga Drain is its Sub-Secondary STAB option, it allows it to regain some HP which can be usefull, Leaf Storm is its nuke option, which can be usefull at times.

Well i hope youll have fun using this core, i know that ive had some fun testing it.

Importable:
Victini @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Zen Headbutt

Gyarados @ Leftovers
EVs: 60 HP / 252 Atk / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bounce
- Waterfall
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance

Sceptile @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
Timid Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Leaf Storm
- Giga Drain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)