Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Ice Punch
- Healing Wish

1-3: With the lead match-up, I was trying to cripple/weaken the Latias as I knew, barring a crit, Rotom-W could live a Draco and then Pain Split and burn it.

4-6: Knew the Latias was switching out. In hindsight, Garchomp was the clear switch as it normally runs Rocky Helmet + Rough Skin and I should have just doubled instead of weakening my Jirachi. My Specs Keldeo hits everything on his team hard, and I was expecting his Keldeo to stay in. Was not expecting Scarf HP Electric though...

7-9: Alakazam comes out, and I felt Talonflame was best equipped to handle it. I Roost up expecting the switch and then go into Jirachi expecting the Psychic.

10-12: We both pull the double and I get the favorable match-up of Rotom-W vs Skarmory. I Wisped thinking he'd go back into Garchomp, which also was the driving force behind the following Hydro Pump.

14-15: Predicted his Garchomp switch but should have considered how much that would hinder Jirachi. After that mistake I decided to go for the kill.

16-18: Saw an opportunity to Defog and then get up my own Stealth Rocks. I was trying to Roost up on the attacks, but got deceived by the damage roll.

20: Finger slip --> misclick... damn. I wanted to switch into Rotom-W here (even though I was misleading my opponent in the chat lol)

21-27: Ending of the game. I Volt Switch to get the kill and go into Keldeo as I figured it could not outspeed his last two mons. Went back into Rotom-W with the hope and faith it would crit or something? Yeah GG.

Thanks in advance!
Thanks for fixing it up.

Alright, first things first, before going into the match you didnt decide how you were going to beat your opponent and from your thought processes it seems like you hadnt really thought of any long-term strategy and were just going turn by turn without thinking of the consequences. Remember to always assign a win condition based on your opponents team and then establish how youre going to go about making that happen. In this case, your best choice was trying to weaken your opponents team with keldeo and Charizard X so that Jirachi could clean up. You should have also noted that Diancie does a number on your team, which means your main priority was keeping Rachi super healthy. Other things you should have thought of were minor stuff like breaking zams potential sash and eliminating skarmory.

Looking at your opponents team, it could be seen that his Latias did very little against your team other than slowing down Keldeo, which is honestly not a big deal considering Keldeo wasnt doing much against 4/6 of the mons anyway. By allowing Rotom to be weakened for some meaningless damage on a mon which has no effect on your wincon, you made it a lot easier for your opponent to clean with Keldeo or Diancie. Switching out into Jirachi immediately was your best play.

Your biggest mistake was obviously the U-turn, which youve picked up on. Going for the Keldeo switch should have been your game plan all along if you had made a plan at team preview as it would allow you to weaken anything on your opponents team. Keeping rachi was crucial to the win and allowing the chip damage was the main reason you lost. From here it was a downhill battle but you made several errors which hurt your chances of bringing it back. First thing was sacking Skarm, you got decieved by the roll but you had no business trying to roost up anyway and should have tried preserving for Diancie. He even gave you a setup opportunity with ZardX which could have changed the outcome of the match but you kinda blew it. Remember that just because you can ko a mon doesnt mean you should, Skarmory was perfect for a setup opportunity with zard but it likely didnt matter considering zam still had its sash intacy

Honestly you didnt play bad per se, your biggest downfall was the mistake you made before the match even started, thinking long-term. By knowing which mons are useful and which arent on both teams you can make plays which will help achieve victory, hope I helped a bit at least.

Hi all, first time posting here. I just had a ladder match.
This is the game: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-251083152

Can somebody help me analyze it so that I can play better and improve in the future? It's not a great battle but it was close and the winner depends on a coin-flip.

Lucario @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed
- Bullet Punch

Absol @ Absolite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Fire Blast

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power Fire / Calm Mind (depends on mood)
- Recover

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Sludge Wave
- Thunder Wave

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 76 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake

This is my last battle while laddering for the Dark Horse project. From Team Preview, my opponent carries Mega Manectric, which my team is incredibly weak against. My plan is : set up Rocks, wear down Manectric with hazards and priority attacks, then sweep. I also notice that my opponent has a Slowbro, which will be a pain for Lucario while Heatran prevents my Calm Mind Latios from doing too much. Keeping those in mind, I lead with Garchomp.

Turn 1: I have an advantage here. Normally, I will go for Rocks but I was thinking he will simply go to Latias and Defog it away so I click Dragon Tail, hoping to catch Latias on the switch.

Turn 2: Seeing as Garchomp can't touch Slowbro, I know he will go to Slowbro again. However, keeping hazards up to beat Manectric is important so I set up Rocks.

Turn 4: Since Azumarill got hit by Thunder Wave, I know I can use it as a Scald switch-in from now on. I click Knock Off to hopefully remove Slowbro's Leftovers. If Terrakion comes in, it can't do too much before I kill it anyway.

Turn 9: I know Latios can also switch-in to Slowbro but with Heatran around, I can't click Draco Meteor. Plus, I was afraid of Pursuit so I go to Azumarill.

Turn 13: I can OHKO Slowbro with Thunderbolt now but Manectric hasn't shown it's ugly face yet. I click Sludge Wave to hopefully catch it on the switch (so that I can revenge it later).

Turn 14: Nothing to do but sac Garchomp seeing as it is at 3% lol. Plus, this allows me to Mega Evolve Absol.

Turn 15: Well, I could have OHKO-ed Bisharp with Fire Blast but I forgot to do Damage Calculations and thought that Play Rough can KO from that range. This move crippled my Absol, who would be handy to have, especially in an endgame against Latias and Mega Manectric. I curse my stupidity here.

Turn 18-20: No idea what I was thinking here. I was just thinking, he's going to Lava Plume, I have to go for a Fire-resist and I don't want Azumarill to take more damage since it still has Aqua Jet. My stupidity also allows him to get Rocks up and he lands a Toxic on Latios.

Turn 21: I sac Mega Absol here since it can do nothing else in the game. Plus, this allows Lucario a free switch-in.

Turn 22: I was considering a double switch to Thundurus since Lucario cannot touch Slowbro. However, I have not revealed any of Lucario's coverage moves yet so I have a feeling it might not want to switch in so eagerly. I click Close Combat to hopefully KO Heatran who thinks I am thinking of Swords Dance. Plus, this will allow me to spam Dracos later on.

Turn 23-24: Nothing to do but go to Latios who has nothing to fear from Slowbro (seeing as it already got Toxic-ed by Heatran). I plan to deal huge damage with Draco Meteor but I know he will just heal back up with Slack Off (judging from his playing pattern) so I reveal Calm Mind. Now, Draco Meteor one shots everything on the opponent's team.

Turn 25: I sac Latios here to give Thundurus a free switch-in. Plus, it was too damaged to do anything else anyway.

Turn 28: Lucario is now face-to-face with Latias who is at 16% and -2 SpA. Here, I forgot to do Damage Calculations and thought that Psyshock will cripple me or Roost will put Latias out of Extreme Speed KO range so I just killed it as fast as possible. In hindsight, Swords Dance here would put me at a big advantage (although the last move will still depend on a full-paralysis roll)

Turn 29: Now I am face to face with the thing I fear the most from the opponent's team. And it is at 88%. I was resigned to lose here. Nothing to do but wear it down with Extreme Speed and hope Aqua Jet gets a high roll.

Turn 30: Nothing to do here but pray for no full-para and an above average roll. (The crit was not necessary because AJ does 51 % minimum )

Can somebody help me analyze it so that I can play better and improve in the future? It's not a great battle but it was close and the winner depends on a coin-flip.

Lucario @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed
- Bullet Punch

Absol @ Absolite
Hasty Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Fire Blast

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Recover

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Sludge Wave
- Thunder Wave

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake

This is my last battle while laddering for the Dark Horse project. From Team Preview, my opponent carries Mega Manectric, which my team is incredibly weak against. My plan is : set up Rocks, wear down Manectric with hazards and priority attacks, then sweep. I also notice that my opponent has a Slowbro, which will be a pain for Lucario while Heatran prevents my Calm Mind Latios from doing too much. Keeping those in mind, I lead with Garchomp.

Turn 1: I have an advantage here. Normally, I will go for Rocks but I was thinking he will simply go to Latias and Defog it away so I click Dragon Tail, hoping to catch Latias on the switch.

Turn 2: Seeing as Garchomp can't touch Slowbro, I know he will go to Slowbro again. However, keeping hazards up to beat Manectric is important so I set up Rocks.

Turn 4: Since Azumarill got hit by Thunder Wave, I know I can use it as a Scald switch-in from now on. I click Knock Off to hopefully remove Slowbro's Leftovers. If Terrakion comes in, it can't do too much before I kill it anyway.

Turn 9: I know Latios can also switch-in to Slowbro but with Heatran around, I can't click Draco Meteor. Plus, I was afraid of Pursuit so I go to Azumarill.

Turn 13: I can OHKO Slowbro with Thunderbolt now but Manectric hasn't shown it's ugly face yet. I click Sludge Wave to hopefully catch it on the switch (so that I can revenge it later).

Turn 14: Nothing to do but sac Garchomp seeing as it is at 3% lol. Plus, this allows me to Mega Evolve Absol.

Turn 15: Well, I could have OHKO-ed Bisharp with Fire Blast but I forgot to do Damage Calculations and thought that Play Rough can KO from that range. This move crippled my Absol, who would be handy to have, especially in an endgame against Latias and Mega Manectric. I curse my stupidity here.

Turn 18-20: No idea what I was thinking here. I was just thinking, he's going to Lava Plume, I have to go for a Fire-resist and I don't want Azumarill to take more damage since it still has Aqua Jet. My stupidity also allows him to get Rocks up and he lands a Toxic on Latios.

Turn 21: I sac Mega Absol here since it can do nothing else in the game. Plus, this allows Lucario a free switch-in.

Turn 22: I was considering a double switch to Thundurus since Lucario cannot touch Slowbro. However, I have not revealed any of Lucario's coverage moves yet so I have a feeling it might not want to switch in so eagerly. I click Close Combat to hopefully KO Heatran who thinks I am thinking of Swords Dance. Plus, this will allow me to spam Dracos later on.

Turn 23-24: Nothing to do but go to Latios who has nothing to fear from Slowbro (seeing as it already got Toxic-ed by Heatran). I plan to deal huge damage with Draco Meteor but I know he will just heal back up with Slack Off (judging from his playing pattern) so I reveal Calm Mind. Now, Draco Meteor one shots everything on the opponent's team.

Turn 25: I sac Latios here to give Thundurus a free switch-in. Plus, it was too damaged to do anything else anyway.

Turn 28: Lucario is now face-to-face with Latias who is at 16% and -2 SpA. Here, I forgot to do Damage Calculations and thought that Psyshock will cripple me or Roost will put Latias out of Extreme Speed KO range so I just killed it as fast as possible. In hindsight, Swords Dance here would put me at a big advantage (although the last move will still depend on a full-paralysis roll)

Turn 29: Now I am face to face with the thing I fear the most from the opponent's team. And it is at 88%. I was resigned to lose here. Nothing to do but wear it down with Extreme Speed and hope Aqua Jet gets a high roll.

Turn 30: Nothing to do here but pray for no full-para and an above average roll. (The crit was not necessary because AJ does 51 % minimum )
Sorry for not getting to this sooner, was a bit busy this week. Its the middle of the night atm so I'll write it tomorrow

Lucario @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed
- Bullet Punch

Absol @ Absolite
Hasty Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Fire Blast

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Recover

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Sludge Wave
- Thunder Wave

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake

Nice battle dude, for the most part you stuck to what you wanted to do and other than a few "in the moment" flaws you picked up on, there wasnt anything really wrong with the match.

Most obvious flaw I could see was letting a lot of your mons take unnecessary damage. Letting Latios, Absol and Azumarill (though it wasnt your fault azu took the damage) take damage on mons that most of the time was just because of poor decisions was the biggest reason the match had to come down to a roll. Absol especially was a crucial member of your team, considering it destroyed 6/6 of his mons, and the only one that was somewhat threatening died turn 8.

You also seem to have the bad habit of preserving what doesnt need to be preserved and saccing things that should be kept. For example, you had no reason to sac Absol to rocks to give lucario a free switch when you could have just let Latios die (though you had no reason to switch it in in the first place but I guess you got caught off guard by the toxic). Latios did very little against his team and the only thing it did do Thundurus did better and saccing absol later in the manectric scenario would have allowed you to switch in Azumarill, aqua jet and then switch lucario in to win without risking a roll.

In terms of your team composition, I dont really see why you run sludge wave on thundurus, tbolt will be able to deal with most fairies and it doesnt have much purpose other than that but thats something really minor and its your choice. If fairies really trouble you though, replace bullet punch with Iron tail as BP doesnt really hit much in the current meta that Espeed doesnt (terrakion coincidentally is its main target).

Other than those minor things, you honestly played it well but remember in future battles to not get, for lack of a better term, caught up in the moment and you should improve significantly

Nice battle dude, for the most part you stuck to what you wanted to do and other than a few "in the moment" flaws you picked up on, there wasnt anything really wrong with the match.

Most obvious flaw I could see was letting a lot of your mons take unnecessary damage. Letting Latios, Absol and Azumarill (though it wasnt your fault azu took the damage) take damage on mons that most of the time was just because of poor decisions was the biggest reason the match had to come down to a roll. Absol especially was a crucial member of your team, considering it destroyed 6/6 of his mons, and the only one that was somewhat threatening died turn 8.

You also seem to have the bad habit of preserving what doesnt need to be preserved and saccing things that should be kept. For example, you had no reason to sac Absol to rocks to give lucario a free switch when you could have just let Latios die (though you had no reason to switch it in in the first place but I guess you got caught off guard by the toxic). Latios did very little against his team and the only thing it did do Thundurus did better and saccing absol later in the manectric scenario would have allowed you to switch in Azumarill, aqua jet and then switch lucario in to win without risking a roll.

In terms of your team composition, I dont really see why you run sludge wave on thundurus, tbolt will be able to deal with most fairies and it doesnt have much purpose other than that but thats something really minor and its your choice. If fairies really trouble you though, replace bullet punch with Iron tail as BP doesnt really hit much in the current meta that Espeed doesnt (terrakion coincidentally is its main target).

Other than those minor things, you honestly played it well but remember in future battles to not get, for lack of a better term, caught up in the moment and you should improve significantly
Thanks for the rate. And as for the team composition, I run Sludge Wave on Thundurus to get a guaranteed 2HKO on standard Clefable and hit Mega Altaria harder (DDD sets avoid the 2HKO from HP Ice w/o Rocks).

As for Iron Tail > Bullet Punch, I will consider it. This team was made when Weavile was all over OU and Hoopa-U wasn't released yet so I run Bullet Punch to hit Weavile, Gengar, Mega Gardevoir and Terrakion which were more common at that time. Thanks again for the rate!

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-253358276 yo this match was for anlaytic's tag team tour. I just came here to see if i made any misplays.

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 100 Def / 160 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Knock Off
- Low Kick

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Zen Headbutt
- Healing Wish

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 200 HP / 164 SpA / 145 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Latios @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Defog

Altaria (M) @ Altarianite
Ability: Cloud Nine
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Frustration
- Earthquake
- Roost
Alright so looking at the matchup, it's pretty even for both sides. M-Altaria can definitely put in work vs Unlucky D's team after a DD, while the combination of M-Lopunny+Bisharp can put in a lot of work vs your team too. I felt like you played the game well, Scarf Gengar definitely caught me off guard too. I mean, I definitely do think that you had in the bag with ScarfRachi and Weavile vs a Gengar, must've felt devastated lol

Lead:

His team didn't have a designated lead at first glance, so I'd say it was safe to assume that Excadrill was the SR setter and not the spinner, as he had Starmie in the back. Keeping that in mind, I'd have probably led off with Gliscor as it had a more than decent matchup vs your opponent's team.

Turns:

• Turn 1: He led off with Excadrill, which meant that it was more than likely Sash Rocks, a common sight on HO, and I wouldn't have risked the M-Altaria being OHKOed by the Iron Head seeing as to its potential to put in work in this match. I'd have definitely gone into my Gliscor there, as it was the safest play possible, and you could get up your own hazards too.

• Turn 8: The way you brought Jirachi in on the M-Lopunny meant that it was more than likely Choice Scarfed. I think you could've played that to your advantage there, as M-Lopunny was his win condition, and I don't think he would've risked that Jirachi being Scarfed. So I would've gone for the U-Turn there, played that to my advantage and get some momentum.

• Turn 10: Excellent play. It was pretty obvious that he wasn't staying in on a Gliscor with his Bisharp, predicting the switch to Thundurus or Starmie was a really nice play on your part because it meant you very likely got a kill.

• Turn 14: Again, the point I brought up about him not risking his win condition. I felt like you could've easily gone for the U-Turn there. This would be allowed you to get the Weavile on the Starmie and potentially get another kill. Zen Headbutt was definitely not your most optimal play because he could've easily brought his Bisharp in on the Jirachi, and then proceed to get a kill vs one of your pokemon.

And that's it really. I really felt like you did play very well to get in a situation where you had a Weavile and a ScarfRachi vs Gengar. I felt like the win got snatched away from you pretty badly( I'm feeling bad, can't imagine how destroyed you felt lol). Hope I helped

Last edited:
oml it's too ez I completely agree with analytic here. You honestly played the entire game pretty well (apart from lead and times when Uturning was much better choice) and the only reason you lost was because of that scarfgar reveal, you had set the entire game up thinking it was regular gengar and it put you in a bad position. Tbh though, your team got bent over backwards by scarfgar no matter what, he could have led with it and penetrated you pretty nicely. I honestly thought you had the game and you had made very few misplays so I was thinking "why the fuck is this guy posting the battle" but then I saw the reveal and I wont lie, I was kinda salty about that. You couldnt have played it much better unless you knew it was scarfed, so cudos to your opponent for hiding that so well.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-253461106 tbh I really need this thread to help me get better

The team:
here's hoping I got the hide thing right

Alakazam @ Alakazite
Ability : Magic Guard
EVs : 252 SpAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SpDef
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Encore

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability : Technician
EVs : 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpDef
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-Turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability : Magnet Pull
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power Fire

Garchomp @ Leftovers
Ability : Rough Skin
EVs : 252 Atk / 252 Sps / 4 SpDef
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Swords Dance

Gengar @ Choice Specs
Ability : Levitate
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Dazzling Gleam
- Energy Ball

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability : Serene Grace
EVs : 252 HP / 252 SpDef / 4 SpAtk
Calm Nature
- Air Slash
- Aura Sphere
- Softboiled
- Defog

And the summary

Looking at the team matchup, I saw that he didn't really have much to take hits from Specs Gengar once his team was weakened. So, naturally, I led with it. Genius

Turn 3: I predicted a switch out of Heatran, because of the obvious EQ. This gave me a free turn to either SD or set up rocks. I chose to SD, in the hopes of using Chomp to get rid of some of his walls and let my other mons (like Gengar) clean up. Rocks may have been better because of the Dragonite, which is a bit of a threat to my team, but I figured I could play around it with my faster threats.

Turn 4: I stayed in, believing Rotom-W to be a SpDef variant because Ferrothorn would be physically defensive. The Turn 1 switch may have signified that it was not, and the Heatran was the special wall, but I wasn't sure, because my opponent may have been predicting a Sludge Wave. So I took a risky play. Turns out, I calced it and the crit actually mattered, even on SpDef Rotom-W.

Turn 5: Sensing a clear opportunity to trap Ferro, I switched in my Magnezone on a Leech Seed. I figured I could just click HP Fire and take it out, but alas, it was not to be.

Turn 13: Knowing that I could still kill with EQ after leftovers, I decided to set up rocks now. SD may have let me clean up, but I didn't want to be hit by the Leech Seed while I tried to sweep. With Magnezone gone, I knew I would need Garchomp to deal with the Excadrill and Heatran.

Turn 15: Clefable switched in and I immediately saw it had Unaware, not Magic Guard (so rocks on turn 13 were the right play, because I wasn't sweeping anyway). I switched in Gengar and not Scizor because I was fearing a Flamethrower prediction.

Turn 16: Shadow Ball > Sludge Wave because he still had Heatran AND Excadrill.

Turn 18: I decided to sac Gengar to get damage off, so that Garchomp could kill. I was half hoping for another roar, but I was fine if Gengar died. At this point, I was in late-game mode, so I just needed to prep for something to sweep. I was thinking Garchomp, but in reality the combination of Dragonite + Steel types forced too many 50/50s between EQ and Dragon Claw that the sweep was unlikely.

Turn 20: Focus Blast was the best play here, but I was worried about Scarf. And this is where I start to throw away the match. The Togekiss switch in was predicting scarfed EQ (as I wasn't sure why else he would bring in Excadrill on M-Alakazam except to revenge-kill).

Turn 21: Air Slash was a misclick -_-

Turn 22: I meant to save Togekiss as death fodder, so Scizor could change moves if necessary.

Turn 25: I sac'd Chomp here to prevent more setup and to guarantee a safe switch into Scizor. That is a play I'm okay with. I sent in Togekiss without checking HP, thinking I could come in, immune to Outrage. I died to rocks, nearly throwing the game away in the process.

Turn 26: Bullet Punch actually had a chance to 2HKO, letting Scizor clean up, but I got two low rolls. Alakazam won anyway though.

This is a battle I had on the low ladder. Hope some people can analyze it and make me have better decision-making
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-258341023

Lucario @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed
- Iron Tail

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Defog

Serperior @ Meadow Plate
Ability: Contrary
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Giga Drain

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Thunder Wave
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 76 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

While the opponent isn't the greatest (I mean, Unnerve Tyranitar and a mystery HP Raikou), I feel that the game could have been decided much sooner with less mistakes committed. Looking at the structure of his team, I expect this to be a Mega Gardevoir team with Tyranitar as a lure for Steels and providing Pursuit support for Keldeo as a secondary win condition. My win condition for this game are either DD Zard-X (needs Ttar gone and Keldeo weakened) or SD Lucario (needs Keldeo and Raikou weakened).

Turn 1: I expected the opponent to lead Keldeo (which I expect to be Choiced) as nothing in my team likes to stomach attacks from it. However, in hindsight, my lead Chomp would be obvious and he would have been better off letting Gardevoir to Mega Evolve instead. Therefore, it would have been better for me to lead with Lucario as nothing in his team likes to take hits from it. But then, hindsight is 20 / 20.

Turn 7: Since I still expect the Keldeo to be Choiced, I don't want to risk my Clefable eating a Specs Hydro Pump so I decide to stay in and test the waters with Garchomp. I should have clicked Earthquake here to weaken his Keldeo a little but I was thinking of using hazards to weaken Tyranitar and wasn't thinking of Skarmory. However, this turn shows me that his Keldeo isn't Specs so I expect a Scarf set and feel safe to switch Clefable in. Of course, he reveals that he is using some weird Keldeo set the turn after.

Turn 10: I know that he isn't going to stay in so I think about what he's going to bring out; which is either Steels or Mega Gardevoir. Since paralyzing Mega Gardevoir will help me more in the long run, I click Thunder Wave.

Turn 11: Seeing the obvious Spikes, I switch to Latios to Defog hazards away. I was also thinking of luring Tyranitar in, weakening it with Draco as it finishes me with Pursuit, then DD up with Zard-X for the win. However, he seemed reluctant to bring Ttar in so the plan doesn't work as well.

Turn 14: Raikou cannot touch Zard-X so I bring it in to get a Roost off. If I set up here, I would get revenged by Bullet Punch. In hindsight, had I sacced Latios here to Shadow Ball, I can DD up, Roost and win the game.

Turn 25: I should have clicked Extreme Speed here but I wasn't sure it can kill. Plus, most Gardevoir run Modest and I run Jolly so I was too confident that I could outspeed it.

Alright sorry Ive been unable to respond to anything for the past 2 weeks, had a 30 page report to write so I wouldnt have been able to analyse yours properly Monkey Smurf. In regards to your match, you played it pretty well for the most part, with only a few small nuances which, while they didnt matter in the long run here, can help in future battles.

The first of these was how you played with your specs Gengar. Ghost is unresisted by a fuckload of mons and all you needed was rotom to be suffuciently weakened for scizor chomp or zam to clean so just spamming shadow ball was your best play, especially considering he had 4 mons who wouldnt mind energy ball at all. Your primary goal in this match should have been weakening tran, ferro and rotom to a point where the three mons mentioned above could clean so any damage would have been helpful considering they all dont have reliable recovery.

The other issue I could see was not saving weakened mons as fodder. You already mentioned this as you not paying attention but switching togekiss in how you did was the entirely wrong play. You mentioned it as being able to switch moves with scizor but should you have saved toge, you could get alakazam in for free against Exca without saccing scizor which would have allowed you to win without risking a SpAtk drop from clefable. Keeping mons that die to hazards is a super useful thing to do, especially when playing with an offensive team. It allows you to take as few risks as you can, just make sure to choose the right time to do it.

Other than those small things, there wasnt much you could have really changed unless I go super specific. Your opponent was a huge cunt though especially considering how nice you were to them for haxing his Rotom, who the fuck even goes for the triple protect.

Random Passerby I wont lie, Im not quite sure why you chose this battle as one to upload. The OP specifically states to choose a battle which you feel was close and not swayed by hax. The battle you uploaded however, demostrates you 5-0ing someone who is clearly far less skilled than you are and should probably be the one posting this replay, not you. Theres always room for improvement though so Ill analyse this anyway.

First things first, you should have seen from team preview that both your Serperior and Lucario could break your opponents team down should a few key mons like Keldeo, Skarm and Scizor be weakened. However you led with Serp and then allowed it to stay in against Gardevoir. Modest Gardevoir is going to KO you 40% of the time so why take the risk staying in? The fact that you let serp be weakened didnt help later on when he revealed scarf raikou, which cant ko you from full with HP fire but because you let it take damage ended up stopping your sweep short.

Leading with Lucario wasnt your best option either because like I said, those two mons were your win conditions and should be preserved. I guess your team doesnt really have any way of beating a well played Gardevoir so there really wasnt a perfect choice for you to lead against it with, but if anything it should have been Charizard, who was guaranteed to outspeed and beat it as well as get a free mega evo off.

In the final turns of the match you went for Iron tail rather than Extremespeed on Gardevoir, which was an extremely risky play. You said it was because you thought it was modest but again, why risk it? Timid is much more common and seeing as you didnt know for sure you should have assumed it was the one that is most threatening to you and played accordingly. This is a point you should really take note of, always assume the mon in front of you is carrying something which beats you, for example scouting for HP Fire on a Latios or Poison Jab on a Weavile. Taking a risk like that can often mean the difference between a win and a loss so keep it in the back of your mind.

I know Im being kind of harsh here but there was really no need for you to post this particular battle. If you wanted advice on improving, post a replay in which where there are points where there was actually a chance of you losing, in this battle there was no way for you to lose by about halfway in unless you completely choked the match away. The improvements I have suggested though are really important skills to consider to improve the way you play so I hope you found those points useful, just remember in future to thoroughly read the rules before posting.

So I got that I should have saved Gengar, since he cleaned up with Shadow Ball once everything had been weakened. But who was the right lead there? Magnezone would have been my next pick to lead, since it handled Clefable and Ferrothorn (barring a double-protect AND a triple-protect), and could Volt Switch out of most of the rest of my opponent's team. If he had led Excadrill, then Garchomp was a good enough switch that I didn't really care about having to hard switch.

Is this a decent thought process? Or is there something I'm missing?

So I got that I should have saved Gengar, since he cleaned up with Shadow Ball once everything had been weakened. But who was the right lead there? Magnezone would have been my next pick to lead, since it handled Clefable and Ferrothorn (barring a double-protect AND a triple-protect), and could Volt Switch out of most of the rest of my opponent's team. If he had led Excadrill, then Garchomp was a good enough switch that I didn't really care about having to hard switch.

Is this a decent thought process? Or is there something I'm missing?
I think you missed it, leading with Gengar was I believe your best choice. Its not so much that Gengar cleans his team, its that gengar breaks it down just by spamming shadow ball, allowing for the rest of your mons to clean. Leading with zone wouldnt be the right choice because if he leads with anything other than ferrothorn, youre in a bad position as letting zone take damage means its harder to trap ferrothorn.

Ok, I'm back with another battle.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-259513198

still not confident about this hide thing... '_'
Alakazam @ Alakazite
Ability : Magic Guard
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Encore

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability : Technician
EVs : 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpDef
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-Turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability : Magnet Pull
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power Fire

Garchomp @ Leftovers
Ability : Rough Skin
EVs : 252 Atk / 252 Sps / 4 SpDef
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Swords Dance

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Ability : Justified
EVs : 252 SpAtk / 4 SpDef / Spd
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind
- Secret Sword

Latias @ Leftovers
Ability : Levitate
EVs : 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spd
- Dragon Pulse
- Earthquake
- Defog
- Roost

Lead: I led with Latias, thinking I could bait in the Ferrothorn and trap it with Magnezone. I was also concerned about Lead Garchomp, and Latias could scare that out (I know TankChomp is more popular, but you never know).

Turn 1: I made the switch into Magnezone I planned at Team Preview, but it didn't work out, as Espeon set up screens.

Turn 4: I get my wish, and trap Ferro. It's got screens and I'm scarf so it doesn't do too much, but I'm ok letting it get a bajillion hazards up, since I've got Latias in the back, and it's stalling out screen turns.

Turn 9: Looking at my opponent's team, the only thing I really needed Magnezone for was the Slowbro, but I had M-Alakazam with Encore that handled it better. I sac'd Magnezone in order to get a free switch, and to scout for Scarf Victini. Turns out I saw Glaciate, and no scarf, which was really nice to know, and I got to keep Zone. It worked out in this case, but I'm still not sure if this was the right play all the time.

Turn 13: Now I actually sac Magnezone, because I really wanted a free switch into Latias for Defogging purposes.

Turn 14: I don't quite remember my reasoning for not switching out, but I think I was fearing the Will-o-wisp and I wanted Keldeo around because it beat Chomp and Victini, both of which I was mildly scared of. Alakazam had Shadow Ball to handle Victini, Slowbro and Espeon, so it needed to be healthy.

Turn 24: Knowing that Garchomp wasn't Mega, I figured it wouldn't be carrying Fire Blast, so it really couldn't do too much to Scizor besides EQ, and I could U-Turn and gain a lot of momentum. Looking back, he was probably trying to sac Espeon, since it didn't do all that much against what I had left.

Turn 25: I planned to sac Scizor so I could bring in Zam, and win with a combination of Shadow Ball and Keldeo weakening Victini. I didn't anticipate Iron Defense, though in hindsight saccing Chomp was better because Scizor had U-turn, and Chomp could set up SR if I had a chance.

Turn 32: Shadow Ball was doing a decent amount of damage, and if Slowbro had no more Slack Offs, it would become a lot easier to wear down. Because of that, I knew I would force it out by Encoring it.

Turn 35: I learned that trying to sac Scizor was a bad idea, so I didn't, and I got predicted.

Turn 36: This put me in a win/win scenario. If Slowbro tried to set up, I could Encore and muscle through it with Shadow Ball or 2HKO Victini on the switch, and if he killed Zam, I could bring in Scizor and get off a massive U-Turn, killing Slowbro or severely weakening Victini.

Turn 38: I was afraid of letting Slowbro get in for free, because if I let it Slack Off at that point I lost. Scald would obviously have killed Victini, but I needed higher power just in case.

From her, my opponent kiiiiinda chokes when he does switch in Slowbro, but I think U-Turn would have won anyway.

Last edited:

Career Ended

Whatever happens, happens
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris the defending Other Metas Circuit Champion
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-259582957 So I had this ladder game the other day whilst in call with Always!, scald and Akiruu. I was confident with every play I made that game except on turns 1, 24 and 25.

Bloomers (Diancie-Mega) @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 40 Atk / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Rash Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Earth Power
- Protect

Argos (Latios) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost

Jarrett (Landorus-Therian) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 8 SpD / 52 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Wiki (Ferrothorn) @ Chople Berry
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Spikes

Ender (Starmie) @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Psyshock
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Distribute (Tyranitar) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge

Turn 1: I was extremely scared of him being Zard x as after a DD it kinda did work to my team. Also he didn't have a pursuit trapper so i figured he'd be a zard x.
Turn 3: I am in the back at this point and i really needed some momentum. I figured he would go to hoopa because if he did he just got a kill. That's why i dracoed. If you can imagine Always, Scald and Akiruu yelling really loud into my ear after that.
Turn 6: Doubled into Latios because i really didnt want him to bring zard in and potentially get a crit on my latios.
Turns 11 & 12: I Needed health on ferro so i wouldn't lose to scarf moxie salamence.
Turn 15: I stay in because if he focus blasts i just lose to thundurus
Turn 24: I should've gone to tyranitar immediately and edged him
Turn 25: I had already lost at this point but i could've gone latios and played around with the seed + sand or something. If I did i could've just killed his lando and mence with scarf edge, as i live an outrage anyway.

Last edited:
This is the match I've had for the Another Type Restriction tour, in which players couldn't use Ground-type Pokemon. Here's the replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-269530878

And this are my squad and general thoughts:
D'Artagnan (Keldeo) @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Secret Sword

JetBlue (Latios) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Defog

Scissorhands (Scizor) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Knock Off

Cloudrider (Raikou) @ Assault Vest
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Shadow Ball

Amazonian (Venusaur) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Def / 144 SpD / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Leech Seed

Vesuvius (Heatran) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 192 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

Turn 1: I admit I'm feel dumb now. I feel like I should have started with Scizor, since it could have been used to scout the opponent.

Turn 2: I thought it was going to use Lava Plume, so I preferred to use U-Turn and switch into Keldeo, giving me a disadvantage against Slowbro.

Turn 8: Haxed by paralysis. Nothing to see here!

Turn 10: (Un)lucky burn... I wish it didn't burn here so that I could Toxic later.

Turn 14: Not sure if I should have switched to Venu, since Raikou got murdered.

Turn 31: ...I wish Slowbro wasn't burned here...

That's how it went. I hope somebody can point out where I did wrong, so that I can improve as a battler.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
This is the match I've had for the Another Type Restriction tour, in which players couldn't use Ground-type Pokemon. Here's the replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-269530878

And this are my squad and general thoughts:
D'Artagnan (Keldeo) @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Secret Sword

JetBlue (Latios) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Defog

Scissorhands (Scizor) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Knock Off

Cloudrider (Raikou) @ Assault Vest
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Shadow Ball

Amazonian (Venusaur) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Def / 144 SpD / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Leech Seed

Vesuvius (Heatran) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 192 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

Turn 1: I admit I'm feel dumb now. I feel like I should have started with Scizor, since it could have been used to scout the opponent.

Turn 2: I thought it was going to use Lava Plume, so I preferred to use U-Turn and switch into Keldeo, giving me a disadvantage against Slowbro.

Turn 8: Haxed by paralysis. Nothing to see here!

Turn 10: (Un)lucky burn... I wish it didn't burn here so that I could Toxic later.

Turn 14: Not sure if I should have switched to Venu, since Raikou got murdered.

Turn 31: ...I wish Slowbro wasn't burned here...

That's how it went. I hope somebody can point out where I did wrong, so that I can improve as a battler.
Hi

Not gonna nitpick aspects of the team because it's subjective and not a rate of the team so I'll explain some of the things I think you should've done.

I mean I would've lead off with M-Venusaur anyways considering last thing I want is Lopunny to taking a good half health off of something else. This was ok.

Leaving in Scizor against a Heatran on Turn 2 that you were unaware of its set was insanely risky and I wouldn't have done this so early in the game, where it's your best resort against Terrakion, Togekiss, and Lopunny while being able to heavily damage Slowbro. Turn 4 wasn't the time to throw up a Substitute with a perfectly healthy Slowbro still present. Scald had 0 opportunity cost in that instance to use and was the safest play. Turn 13 was a pretty safe U-Turn there instead of a hard switch as he didn't want to put his Togekiss in a dangerous range where something like Latios or Keldeo could pick it off easily. Turn 14 whether you realize it or not you sacked your long term end game. Starting from team preview your goal or what it should've been was the realization that their team has one electric resist, the electric resist being easily worn down and halted by m-venu tran cores + volt-turn. Once Raikou was out the team would keel over to Volt-Turn all of the time with no choice but to sack or lose momentum in most instances. Turn 16 I would've just thrown another Leech Seed on the incoming Heatran switch in which was so obvious it hurts. Togekiss + Heatran was the only way he was going to break M-Venu and even then more Heatran so he was trying to maintain momentum through this switch. It would've failed and gave you a free turn to get Heatran in or know momentum is on your side. By Turn 21 this guy is trying to make plays and is becoming easy to read, Scald was easy here you also didn't have to have Keldeo take that Fake Out damage. You want to sort of get a read on how the opponent reacts to certain situations and then from there make your own decisions to keep yourself in a good position as much as possible. Turn 22 Keldeo isn't doing shit, this comes back to bite you in the ass of your long term plan for not having a flying resist in Raikou to circumvent this and get a free hit in. Turn 27 was an easy Sludge Bomb in my eyes. whether or not it's clear is a different story, but he's trying to maintain his defensive backbones longevity and Togekiss was in the kill range to apply the offensive pressure you needed to bring back the game to you. Turn 28 was a result of not acting on what I recommended for Turn 27 and because of this on Turn 42 M-Venusaur gets taken about by Slowbro.

I think you're sort of looking at the wrong perspective of your own analysis. Most of these circumstances that were not in your favor was because you made some poor choices early on that cost you the game in the long run. The paralysis on multiple mons that got their offensive presence hindered due to the status (like Latios), getting key players taken out (Raikou). What I'm trying to say is that a lot of these, if not every single one of them could've been circumvented in the long run by taking the safer route and only making a risk when necessary. You really didn't have to make too many risks that entire battle other than some doubles that needed to happen, you had the favorable matchup but took risky plays and decisions that a team that relies on defensive synergy such as VenuTran core doesn't want to be held liable to for the majority of the match.

Think long term, you're better off.

youre an absolute babe AM

Btw everyone, I wont be able to be very active for the next month or so due to irl commitments (finishing last minute reports and preparing for exams if anyones interested). Remember though that the floor is open for anyone to analyse matches, it doesnt have to be done by me alone.

EDIT: It should be noted that im definitely not giving up on this project, once Im finished up with all my other stuff Ill be back to my normal activity

Last edited:
Hi

Not gonna nitpick aspects of the team because it's subjective and not a rate of the team so I'll explain some of the things I think you should've done.

I mean I would've lead off with M-Venusaur anyways considering last thing I want is Lopunny to taking a good half health off of something else. This was ok.

Leaving in Scizor against a Heatran on Turn 2 that you were unaware of its set was insanely risky and I wouldn't have done this so early in the game, where it's your best resort against Terrakion, Togekiss, and Lopunny while being able to heavily damage Slowbro. Turn 4 wasn't the time to throw up a Substitute with a perfectly healthy Slowbro still present. Scald had 0 opportunity cost in that instance to use and was the safest play. Turn 13 was a pretty safe U-Turn there instead of a hard switch as he didn't want to put his Togekiss in a dangerous range where something like Latios or Keldeo could pick it off easily. Turn 14 whether you realize it or not you sacked your long term end game. Starting from team preview your goal or what it should've been was the realization that their team has one electric resist, the electric resist being easily worn down and halted by m-venu tran cores + volt-turn. Once Raikou was out the team would keel over to Volt-Turn all of the time with no choice but to sack or lose momentum in most instances. Turn 16 I would've just thrown another Leech Seed on the incoming Heatran switch in which was so obvious it hurts. Togekiss + Heatran was the only way he was going to break M-Venu and even then more Heatran so he was trying to maintain momentum through this switch. It would've failed and gave you a free turn to get Heatran in or know momentum is on your side. By Turn 21 this guy is trying to make plays and is becoming easy to read, Scald was easy here you also didn't have to have Keldeo take that Fake Out damage. You want to sort of get a read on how the opponent reacts to certain situations and then from there make your own decisions to keep yourself in a good position as much as possible. Turn 22 Keldeo isn't doing shit, this comes back to bite you in the ass of your long term plan for not having a flying resist in Raikou to circumvent this and get a free hit in. Turn 27 was an easy Sludge Bomb in my eyes. whether or not it's clear is a different story, but he's trying to maintain his defensive backbones longevity and Togekiss was in the kill range to apply the offensive pressure you needed to bring back the game to you. Turn 28 was a result of not acting on what I recommended for Turn 27 and because of this on Turn 42 M-Venusaur gets taken about by Slowbro.

I think you're sort of looking at the wrong perspective of your own analysis. Most of these circumstances that were not in your favor was because you made some poor choices early on that cost you the game in the long run. The paralysis on multiple mons that got their offensive presence hindered due to the status (like Latios), getting key players taken out (Raikou). What I'm trying to say is that a lot of these, if not every single one of them could've been circumvented in the long run by taking the safer route and only making a risk when necessary. You really didn't have to make too many risks that entire battle other than some doubles that needed to happen, you had the favorable matchup but took risky plays and decisions that a team that relies on defensive synergy such as VenuTran core doesn't want to be held liable to for the majority of the match.

Think long term, you're better off.
Thanks a lot for the rate. I admit I'm still very new to battling and I found myself panicking a bit at some points.

I'll try to keep those suggestions in mind for future matches.

Hopefully thread isn't dead!
Posting a very very close match here that i just had..

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-280034699

Klefki @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Def / 104 SpD
Impish Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Spikes
- Play Rough
- Magnet Rise

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 180 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Thunder Wave

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Celebi @ Expert Belt
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 148 Def / 112 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Nasty Plot
- Giga Drain
- Baton Pass
- Recover

Dragonite @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Earthquake

forgot to change celebi's item to lefties after changing the set..

Lead:Ttar to put rocks as soon as possible to pressure zard(y most likely).

Turn 1:Mew likely doesn't have taunt cuz it is the only mon capable of removing hazards.so set up rocks.

Turn 4:So,this mew has both defog and taunt which means no wow.so exca is safe against this mew.

Turn 13:Sacked ttar cuz he has a ttar and a hippo to set sand for my exca and i have no other zard switch ins.

Turn 19:Took a risk and bped to m mane.if he had used sub on this turn that serp could have caused a lot more damage.

Turn 24:got lucky with a crit,but after that exca+mane could easily beat his team.

Plz review and point out my mistakes.Tagging Flamer for the reply.

I know this thread has been pretty inactive and that most people probably don't want to rate such a low ladder replay but I'm hoping that what others tell me here helps me get out of low ladder faster. And I'm sorry about having both sides be boring teams stolen off the forums lol, my team is fleggumfl's team from the sample team thread and I'm pretty sure the opponent's team is that one Mega Alakazam + CB Scizor team from some months ago.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-287897890
Link to team + explanation, it's the first one. If you have to use your own team to get rated then please point it out to me and I'll delete the post.

My username in this battle was BlazingFlareon.
As I explain my plays I'm sort of rating myself as well, if you don't mind. Also, I didn't consider my wincon for this battle, but most times I don't, and I partially blame that on the team I used tbh, I don't have a boosting sweeper or anything that has the purpose of being a wincon vs offense.
Turn 1: This is the most important turn in the round. I lead with Bisharp hoping to counter lead Lando-T and that was a mistake. Them leading with Keld was a problem because at the time I had no idea what to switch in, so I sacced Bisharp right there. I didn't think ahead at the time about how threatening Keldeo was to my team, if I had realized I might've lead with manaphy instead so that there wasn't a 100% chance of giving keld a free turn. The loss of Bisharp made the rest of the game harder to play.
Turn 2: Predicted Heatran switch and knocked off the lefties.
Turn 4: I felt that setting up SR would be pointless here. Nothing on the opp's team was weak to it and Bisharp couldn't take advantage of defog because it had already fainted, not to mention that Keldeo could've switched in on chomp. So I went for dtail hoping to do something productive.
Turn 11: Pretty normal predict, Foul Play outdamages Knock Off so they couldn't win.
Turn 13: I let Keldeo in again lol. Considering how Zam, Lando-T and Keldeo all check Manaphy pretty well I'm not sure why I bothered to preserve it by getting rid of the burn. I didn't really bother to actually think about what they were gonna do; I was just like "all right man I got a free turn time to heal myself." At least Torn could take advantage of the rain.
Turn 16-17: I was positive they were scarf so once they used EQ I just doubled Tornadus back in.
Turn 19-20: Hoping to sack Garchomp to give Medicham a free turn, I ended up barely living. Set up some late game rocks.
Turn 21: Scizor hadn't done anything in that match at all up until that point so I forgot to think about it. Just like with turn 1 I made a safe move because I couldn't predict my op, I was wondering if they'd go to tran or stay in with landt for some dumb as hell reason or something.
Turn 25: Saccing Medi might've been a mistake here.

I hope that I'm not being rude or oblivious or anything.
Tagging the leaders for a faster response and to maybe revive the thread. Flamer Analytic DarkNostalgia ArchPhantom

edit: accidentally posted this before I really wanted to lol. also forgot to tag JohnYiu but afaik tags don't work in edits so w/e

Last edited:

p2

Banned deucer.
I know this thread has been pretty inactive and that most people probably don't want to rate such a low ladder replay but I'm hoping that what others tell me here helps me get out of low ladder faster. And I'm sorry about having both sides be boring teams stolen off the forums lol, my team is fleggumfl's team from the sample team thread and I'm pretty sure the opponent's team is that one Mega Alakazam + CB Scizor team from some months ago.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-287897890
Link to team + explanation, it's the first one. If you have to use your own team to get rated then please point it out to me and I'll delete the post.

My username in this battle was BlazingFlareon.
As I explain my plays I'm sort of rating myself as well, if you don't mind. Also, I didn't consider my wincon for this battle, but most times I don't, and I partially blame that on the team I used tbh, I don't have a boosting sweeper or anything that has the purpose of being a wincon vs offense.
Turn 1: This is the most important turn in the round. I lead with Bisharp hoping to counter lead Lando-T and that was a mistake. Them leading with Keld was a problem because at the time I had no idea what to switch in, so I sacced Bisharp right there. I didn't think ahead at the time about how threatening Keldeo was to my team, if I had realized I might've lead with manaphy instead so that there wasn't a 100% chance of giving keld a free turn. The loss of Bisharp made the rest of the game harder to play.
Turn 2: Predicted Heatran switch and knocked off the lefties.
Turn 4: I felt that setting up SR would be pointless here. Nothing on the opp's team was weak to it and Bisharp couldn't take advantage of defog because it had already fainted, not to mention that Keldeo could've switched in on chomp. So I went for dtail hoping to do something productive.
Turn 11: Pretty normal predict, Foul Play outdamages Knock Off so they couldn't win.
Turn 13: I let Keldeo in again lol. Considering how Zam, Lando-T and Keldeo all check Manaphy pretty well I'm not sure why I bothered to preserve it by getting rid of the burn. I didn't really bother to actually think about what they were gonna do; I was just like "all right man I got a free turn time to heal myself." At least Torn could take advantage of the rain.
Turn 16-17: I was positive they were scarf so once they used EQ I just doubled Tornadus back in.
Turn 19-20: Hoping to sack Garchomp to give Medicham a free turn, I ended up barely living. Set up some late game rocks.
Turn 21: Scizor hadn't done anything in that match at all up until that point so I forgot to think about it. Just like with turn 1 I made a safe move because I couldn't predict my op, I was wondering if they'd go to tran or stay in with landt for some dumb as hell reason or something.
Turn 25: Saccing Medi might've been a mistake here.

I hope that I'm not being rude or oblivious or anything.
Tagging the leaders for a faster response and to maybe revive the thread. Flamer Analytic DarkNostalgia ArchPhantom

edit: accidentally posted this before I really wanted to lol. also forgot to tag JohnYiu but afaik tags don't work in edits so w/e
Okay, since you were using my team, I think I can give you a couple pointers and advice here.

When faced against a Keldeo, you must shut off any way of giving it free turns as much as possible. I would have said your lead needed to be Torn-T, Klefki or even Manaphy at that point because you need to deny Keldeo as much momentum as you can because its just such a big threat.

I don't exactly see too much wrong from this, but I think losing Bisharp very early on cost the game for you because it has such a great advantage over the rest of your opponents team and problematic mons like the Sub Alakazam could be easily handled by Klefki

Turn 22 was a pretty easy HJK considering it was locked into Stone Edge, and by the way it was played earlier, it really seemed like his lando-t was scarf and if you landed the HJK you had a good chance to win because you had Klefki to fodder if he locked into EQ and you just needed to hit the hurricanes on Heatran, forcing Lando to use Knock Off and not be able to kill Medicham.

There wasn't exactly a lot wrong with this but my main gripes with it are how Bisharp was played and the HJK play on T22.

I actually thought the Turn13 Rain Dance wasn't a bad play because even if you hit Psychic, Mana just got revenged by Mega Zam and you gave Torn the support to reliably pick off a few things.

I might have been a bit more aggressive with Spikes too, but it wasn't a bad game, I think losing Bisharp early cost you the game though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)