Project ORAS OU Core Building Competition V2 (Round 30: Stalkers) Results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
NOTE FOR SELF REFERENCE: I HAVE WITHDRAWN THIS SUBMISSION

Scyther @ Eviolite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bug Bite
- Aerial Ace
- Swords Dance
- Quick Attack

Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Stealth Rock / Hidden Power [Fire]
- Protect

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
This was originally done as a joke but then it started beating ladder players 'cause the ladder is awful

Diancie provides a soft method of hazard control, as does Starmie, and Scyther hits hard. Starmie has Psy+Tbolt 'cause I want grasses to be in when it dies 'cause they're setup bait for Scyther. SR+2 attacks Diancie was used here 'cause it was being used alongside Chesnaught without enough team slots for another rocker and it's been surprisingly consistent at laying rocks so I thought I'd leave it as is. U can run HP Fire to bait out Skarm and Ferro for Scyther tho, although Diamond Storm already chunks SpD Skarm while Starmie also oblitterates it so it's not a necessity really, and I ran it alongside LO+SD Scizor for bug spam and to bait out Ferro for an easy KO with Superpower. Quick Attack picks off faster 'mons like Lopunny, allowing Scyther to clean more efficiently. Eviolite is used over LO cause it makes it deceptively bulky (moreso than Scizor despite the latters far greater defense stat), allowing it to set up on a surprising range of things including but not limited to Keldeo (can pick off weakened with Quick Attack and takes a Specs Hydro from full) literally any viable Grass-type without rock coverage that isn't Ferrothorn and a number of other offensive 'mons.

Last edited:
Magneton + Mega Latias

Magneton @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Latias @ Latiasite
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Roost
- Surf

Dangit Infernal now I look like I'm copying you :(

The greatest strength that Magneton has over Magnezone is its speed, allowing it to run a more effective Choice Scarf set. Magneton with a Choice Scarf is able to check things like Talonflame and Weavile that Magnezone cannot, while retaining Magnezone's niche of trapping Steel types with Hidden Power Fire and keeping momentum with Volt Switch.

In this core, Magneton gets rid of checks to Latias that would slow its Stored Power sweep. Steel types like Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory that trouble Latias get trapped with Magnet Pull, allowing Latias to forego HP Fire on its set. Magneton can also serve as an offensive check to Weavile, which obviously helps Mega Latias by eliminating one of its strongest checks. Magneton can also 2HKO offensive variants of Tyranitar, helping wear it down so Latias can take it out with Surf. Tyranitar has no reliable recovery, so any chip damage is pretty much there to stay. Surf on Latias helps it beat the two steel types that Magneton doesn't beat (except Doublade, I guess) in Heatran and Excadrill.

Essentially, Magneton beats the checks to a Stored Power sweep, and Surf handles the checks that Magneton doesn't.

zbr

less than 99% acc = never hit
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Sneasel @ Choice Band
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard
- Aerial Ace

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard
- Low Kick / Swords Dance
this is an older core i used for a team building competition for dark spam. weavile is alr known to be beast when played well and what is better than one beast? the momma and the son my frens. unlike ethan this core was made by me and fat user yuruuu for the team building comp and we actually had rly decent success with it. it was rly hilariously fun to play it since CB sneasel rly hits like a truck and despite having that double rocks weakness, this core rly helps shatter offensively oriented teams and balanced teams alike since SD Weav actually has legit opportunities to set up when given team mates that volt turn as well as a "clone" mon that does it's job in a similar fashion which allows it to break up teams and literally shred them apart essentially having two weaviles because unlike carvanha, sneasel actually has legit offensive stats and a speed tier that allows it to outpace 110s and below

here is the post to the team as well as the core displayed. steal the team and have some fun on the ladder xd http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...a-latias-togekiss.3548038/page-7#post-6467771

e - yo i got no beef with ya ethan my fren just pointing that out before i get heated over the stove.

e2 - another good mega that would work with this mon as Martin. pointed out in his post is m-diancie since it helps soft check hazards as well as providing a lot of momentum for the pair.

Last edited:

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I just chatted with ZANBAKUResh about Weavile+Sneasel and he reminded me of another core that works due to STAB SD-boosted Sucker Punch being powerful AF. I'm withdrawing my previous submission 'cause Scyther is legit hot ass due to it's arkward speed tier and lack of STAB on Quick Attack, but I'm gonna leave the post so that ZANBAKUResh's reference still makes sense 'cause I'm nice.

Pawniard @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Adamant / Jolly Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
Similar principle to Weavile+Sneasel except it makes use of priority as opposed to raw speed. Bisharp and Pawniard help weaken each-other's checks between Swords Dance boosts (helped by Eviolite for Pawniard) and Bisharp's disgusting firepower both before and after an SD.

Good partners include Keldeo and max attack Mega Diancie, the former of which helps weaken stuff for Bisharp while also dealing with Mega Scizor consistently for Bisharp and Pawniard in exchange for having Lati@s covered nicely and the latter of which helps with Talonflame and TankChomp (even though max atk variants can't guarantee the OHKO, it helps that it is easily worn down into range of Moonblast) while also sharing a handful of defensive checks such as PhysDef Skarmory and Gliscor. Latias also deserves a mention for it's ability to consistently handle Keldeo between it's typing, natural bulk and Roost as well as it providing Healing Wish support to allow Bisharp a second chance to deal huge damage.

Last edited:
lmao what is happening with this thread
btw i came up with the Dbond because I was like how can I actually make this work c: no hard feelings <33

Martin

lmao what is happening with this thread
btw i came up with the Dbond because I was like how can I actually make this work c: no hard feelings <33
For what it's worth Custap doesn't protect u from priority, making the Mach Punch comment redundant

+

Do i get extra point for using two NFE's? lol
Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Soft-Boiled
- Heal Bell

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Def / 136 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- knock off
- Stealth Rock
- Roost

Basically it two nearly immortal defensive thanks to godly or god for saken if you face chansey stall often power of eviolite , they check many of each other treats and gligar resist fighting the one weakness of chansey and so toghether they can stall very well with amazing defensive defensive stats thanks to eviolite little else to say.

Good partner for this could be scizor or any mon that is good against weavile and knock off mons so best two are keldeo and mega scizor

+

Chansey @ Eviolite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
- Heal Bell

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet/Shed Shell
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Spikes
- Defog
- Whirlwind/Counter/Brave Bird

Yeah,not an innovative core or anything like that i know but it's great and unfun to play against, Chansey is the best special wall out there, blocks almost every single special attack and Skarmory is physically defensive for that, it ends up having really bad spD so that's what Chansey does, if some physical attacker like Weavile or Scizor appears send Skarmory against it and in case of special attackers like Mega Manectric or Volcanion, send Chansey. Decided to put the core with hazard stacking, Chansey is the stealth rocker here so it gives the freedom of running spikes on Skarmory to effectively stall while wearing down opponents with hazards and the best stall teams in this meta like ABR stall use exactly this but depends on the team, overall it's a standard and very classic core that has been known as "SkarmBliss" but then Eviolite was introduced so Chansey is now better at this job.

Sobi

Banned deucer.
voting:

SP458
Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Trick Room

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Play Rough / Return
- Belly Drum

Porygon2's insane bulk thanks to Eviolite allows it to reliably set up Trick Room for its teammates. With the given EV investment, it can switch into LO Excadrill and outstall its sand turns.
Azumarill's mediocre 50 base Speed makes it a good candidate for Trick Room teams. It switches in on the Fighting-type moves that threaten Porygon2 and its Aqua Jet "outspeeds" opposing priority moves under Trick Room, notably from Talonflame and Mega Scizor. Belly Drum turns it into a fearsome wallbreaker which can also eliminate most offensive Pokémon under Trick Room with Knock Off and either Play Rough or Return (for Mega Venusaur). Azumarill outspeeds Clefable outside of TR with the Speed investment.
CrystalRam
Goodra @ Choice Specs / Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper / Hydration
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpA / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Sludge Wave
- Muddy Water / Rest

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Gyro Ball / Iron Head
- Pursuit
- Toxic

This is a very interesting core that i've been playing around with on a semi-stall build I built (along with the rain semi-stall that I was toying around with) and these two have phenomenal synergy with each other. Goodra was meant to sponge all special attacks bar attacks from mons like Latios (which Doublade could take, and then be able to Pursuit trap Lati), and deal great damage with its nice SpA stat and wide movepool. Specs is the set I have here, but Leftovers works phenomenally as well, as Goodra generally finds many opportunities to come in and heal some damage off with Lefties to stay active throughout the match. If you're running this with rain support, then you'll probably want to run Hydration with Rest if you don't mind losing the 4th coverage slot. If you're not running rain, then you really should have cleric support from the likes of Alomomola/whatever cleric you decide on to keep these two at full to function well.

Next up is Doublade, and Doublade is easily able to handle many threatening physical attackers that Goodra may have problems dealing with, such as Mega Medicham, Terrakion, as well as taking care of Latios for Goodra. The set is all up to you, any combination of Rest / Sleep Talk / Toxic / Gyro / Iron Head / Pursuit / Sacred Sword works well depending on what exactly you want Doublade to do. Like I said, these two perform well only on slower semi-stall builds, and they need help with common weaknesses to Ground types such as Excadrill who can easily tear at these two.
HailFall
Clamperl @ DeepSeaTooth
Ability: Shell Armor
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 1 Atk / 30 SpA
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Shell Smash

Klefki @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Fairy Lock
- Foul Play

This is a dual screens core that revolves around giving clamperl a chance to shell smash and absolutely demolish teams without faster mons and clean late game. Klefki sets up dual screens, fairy locks when something like defensive lando comes in, and clamperl gets a chance to set up. Clamperl has access to deepseatooth which doubles its spa (like a special huge power boost lmao) and this is boosted even further by a shell smash boost letting it absolutely demolish everything slower not named chansey. at +2 clamperl passes the 110 speed tier meaning it outspeeds the majority of the mons in the game. Surf is clamperls best stab, ice beam hits grasses, hp grass hits other waters, and shell smash lets you set up. When using this core watch out for priority users, faster mons than clamperl after a shell smash like raikou, and general competence in your opponent.
Infernal
Magneton @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power Fire

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 244 HP / 28 Def / 44 SpD / 192 Spe
Impish Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Fly
- Substitute
- Roost

Although Sub Fly Dragonite may look like a joke, it's actually a rather interesting Pokemon to use. To help with my explanation, refer to these two replays from this year's World Cup:

Replay 1
  • Here, Sub Fly Dragonite ends up sweeping the opposing team after starting its set up on turn 13. There are a few things you can gather from this replay regarding how Sub Fly Dragonite works. With the combination of Sub and recovery, Dragonite can PP stall a good number of Pokemon. As the replay shows, Lando-T is one such Pokemon, with Stone Edge being easily stalled here. Standard DD variants of Dragonite can't do this and are more susceptible to being revenged killed by Pokemon like Lando-T after Multiscale is broken. As the replay shows, the added Leftovers recovery Dragonite gains from the extra turn Fly takes up is also useful for Multiscale purposes.
Replay 2
  • Dragonite sets up a DD on turn 32 and proceeds to Sub on Tang the following turn. This shows how Sub can really help Dragonite take advantage of some defensive threats it'd otherwise be crippled or annoyed by (status or things like Leech Seed). Once a Sub is up, Drag can quickly spiral out of control after a few DDs. I think one more notable thing to gather from this replay and others is how Dragonite can abuse many of the "Fly resists" teams normally use. For example, standard Tran can't really do much to this Dragonite and is used as fodder. Jirachi, another common resistance to Fly, also becomes helpless after a few DDs. Rotom-W is another common Fly resistance this Dragonite can use as fodder because WoW is blocked by Sub, which can't be broken by Volt Switch. Even Scarf variants of Tar can be stalled, although CB sets are more troublesome due to the sheer power.
As for Magneton, it's a viable NFE for this theme and is here to eliminate Skarm, who is a big obstacle for Sub Fly Dragonite. Although Magnezone is normally used for the role (and is better overall), Magneton maintains the same idea and has one advantage: being faster than Weavile. Magnezone doesn't have this speed advantage over Weavile, and Dragonite appreciates how Magneton makes good use of this niche here. All in all, Magneton mainly plays a supporting role here to help Sub Fly Dragonite accomplish its ultimate goal of a sweep in the long run.

There are more replays of this Dragonite in action here, which is where I grabbed the EVs from. You can see the work Dragonite does in the replays there and how it's able to use its bulk and surprise factor to DD up and sweep. At the end of the day, Sub Fly Dragonite may not be standard, but it's definitely a fun submission to toy around with for this thread. Surprise factor plays a big role in its effectiveness, however the payoff can be huge when pulled off successfully.
ethanlol
Sharpedo-Mega @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Strong Jaw
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Ice Beam
- Protect
Carvanha @ Custap Berry
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Endure
- Destiny Bond

So this is a core I got from aim. It looks quites dumb, but hear me out. The idea is you send out Carvanha and he'll do his best to weaken for Sharpedo. If he doesn't do anything pat him on the back and send Sharpedo in. Sharpedo can be hard stopped by priority Mach Punch(carvanhas can't help that), Keldeo, Scizor, Tangrowth and Azumarill. So when you send out Carvanha it lures them in. You endure when they attack and you will be put in Custap range and then you will be able to Destiny Bond and double down and allow Sharpedo to sweep easier. I will delete this if needed lol
komet3
Frogadier @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Ice Beam

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Def / 144 SpD / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Earth Power

Hey Remember Greninja, Yeah I don't either. However, I going to use a very popular core from the past instead replacing greninja with frogadier. However like in the past Greninja was sightly walled by fairies and without greninja's higher special attack fairies actually check you pretty hard. Which is where defensive venasaur comes in to a point with sludge bomb. However, talonflame and the lati@ is a problem to the two in general so I added trapping heatran to stop mons like talonflame and lati@ in order to get rid of them quickly.
Monkey Smurf
Magneton @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Latias @ Latiasite
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Roost
- Surf

Dangit Infernal now I look like I'm copying you :(

The greatest strength that Magneton has over Magnezone is its speed, allowing it to run a more effective Choice Scarf set. Magneton with a Choice Scarf is able to check things like Talonflame and Weavile that Magnezone cannot, while retaining Magnezone's niche of trapping Steel types with Hidden Power Fire and keeping momentum with Volt Switch.

In this core, Magneton gets rid of checks to Latias that would slow its Stored Power sweep. Steel types like Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory that trouble Latias get trapped with Magnet Pull, allowing Latias to forego HP Fire on its set. Magneton can also serve as an offensive check to Weavile, which obviously helps Mega Latias by eliminating one of its strongest checks. Magneton can also 2HKO offensive variants of Tyranitar, helping wear it down so Latias can take it out with Surf. Tyranitar has no reliable recovery, so any chip damage is pretty much there to stay. Surf on Latias helps it beat the two steel types that Magneton doesn't beat (except Doublade, I guess) in Heatran and Excadrill.

Essentially, Magneton beats the checks to a Stored Power sweep, and Surf handles the checks that Magneton doesn't.
ZANBAKUResh
Sneasel @ Choice Band
Ability: Inner Focus
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard
- Aerial Ace

Weavile @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard
- Low Kick / Swords Dance
this is an older core i used for a team building competition for dark spam. weavile is alr known to be beast when played well and what is better than one beast? the momma and the son my frens. unlike ethan this core was made by me and fat user yuruuu for the team building comp and we actually had rly decent success with it. it was rly hilariously fun to play it since CB sneasel rly hits like a truck and despite having that double rocks weakness, this core rly helps shatter offensively oriented teams and balanced teams alike since SD Weav actually has legit opportunities to set up when given team mates that volt turn as well as a "clone" mon that does it's job in a similar fashion which allows it to break up teams and literally shred them apart essentially having two weaviles because unlike carvanha, sneasel actually has legit offensive stats and a speed tier that allows it to outpace 110s and below

here is the post to the team as well as the core displayed. steal the team and have some fun on the ladder xd http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...a-latias-togekiss.3548038/page-7#post-6467771

e - yo i got no beef with ya ethan my fren just pointing that out before i get heated over the stove.

e2 - another good mega that would work with this mon as Martin. pointed out in his post is m-diancie since it helps soft check hazards as well as providing a lot of momentum for the pair.
Martin.
Pawniard @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Adamant / Jolly Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
Similar principle to Weavile+Sneasel except it makes use of priority as opposed to raw speed. Bisharp and Pawniard help weaken each-other's checks between Swords Dance boosts (helped by Eviolite for Pawniard) and Bisharp's disgusting firepower both before and after an SD.

Good partners include Keldeo and max attack Mega Diancie, the former of which helps weaken stuff for Bisharp while also dealing with Mega Scizor consistently for Bisharp and Pawniard in exchange for having Lati@s covered nicely and the latter of which helps with Talonflame and TankChomp (even though max atk variants can't guarantee the OHKO, it helps that it is easily worn down into range of Moonblast) while also sharing a handful of defensive checks such as PhysDef Skarmory and Gliscor. Latias also deserves a mention for it's ability to consistently handle Keldeo between it's typing, natural bulk and Roost as well as it providing Healing Wish support to allow Bisharp a second chance to deal huge damage.
kek123
Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Soft-Boiled
- Heal Bell

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Def / 136 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- knock off
- Stealth Rock
- Roost

Basically it two nearly immortal defensive thanks to godly or god for saken if you face chansey stall often power of eviolite , they check many of each other treats and gligar resist fighting the one weakness of chansey and so toghether they can stall very well with amazing defensive defensive stats thanks to eviolite little else to say.

Good partner for this could be scizor or any mon that is good against weavile and knock off mons so best two are keldeo and mega scizor
ericaroselia
Chansey @ Eviolite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
- Heal Bell

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet/Shed Shell
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Spikes
- Defog
- Whirlwind/Counter/Brave Bird

Yeah,not an innovative core or anything like that i know but it's great and unfun to play against, Chansey is the best special wall out there, blocks almost every single special attack and Skarmory is physically defensive for that, it ends up having really bad spD so that's what Chansey does, if some physical attacker like Weavile or Scizor appears send Skarmory against it and in case of special attackers like Mega Manectric or Volcanion, send Chansey. Decided to put the core with hazard stacking, Chansey is the stealth rocker here so it gives the freedom of running spikes on Skarmory to effectively stall while wearing down opponents with hazards and the best stall teams in this meta like ABR stall use exactly this but depends on the team, overall it's a standard and very classic core that has been known as "SkarmBliss" but then Eviolite was introduced so Chansey is now better at this job.

12 submissions o:

vote for 2 cores

Last edited:
Hi.

This round was a bit more difficult to engage in, but again, please refrain from using common cores. I love the fact we got so many innovative cores (loving ZANBAKUResh and Martin, my vote btw) but seeing a submission of the oldest stall core in existence throws off the entire purpose of the thread. Yes, it is a good core, but it's not one that was created by the submitter. I don't mean any harm to anyone who wants and likes participating, but please try to post a core that you made yourself next and future rounds if you participate n_n thanks for your participating though! without you this thread wouldn't exist!

For a list of cores that have already been established as ones used within the community commonly, please make sure to check the good cores thread before posting your core idea! Thanks!

Last edited:

Martin

Voting died so I'm closing this a few hours early.

infernal iiiii
crystal ram i
zbr iii
martin iiiii
hail fall iii
ethanlol i

The winners are me and Infernal. The archive will be updated shortly.

Edit: removed picture 'cause it's obnoxious. May replace with a gif of something later on.
Round 23: Dying Wish
Building Condition: At least one Pokémon must have a self-KOing move
Notes: The following moves are elegible for the theme: Explosion, Self Destruct, Memento, Healing Wish, Lunar Dance, Final Gambit. If I have missed any please point them out to me and I will update this list accordingly.

Self-KOing moves are an interesting part of this game; on the one hand, they kill their user which, in a vacuum, is not ideal. However, they have consistently seen use across all generations for a number of reasons. Explosion and Self Destruct's immense firepower (and, prior to gen 5, ability to temporarily half their targets' defenses) made them a good option to deal heavy damage to something and to lure things out, with Final Gambit having much the same purpose. Healing Wish (and by extension Lunar Dance) allow you to fully heal up a Pokémon to give them a second chance to sweep, allowing the user to be more aggressive early on with things like Gyarados without fearing things like Wisp, T-wave or heavy damage hindering their ability to sweep. Memento drops it's target's stats--providing setup opportunities for the user's teammate. In addition to these primary effects, the fact that they KO the user provides a free switch-in for a teammate while also going after switches, allowing you to grab momentum on your opponent. Lets see the various ways you utilise these interesting moves this week!

Last edited:

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon

Weavile @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Swords Dance / Low Kick

Glalie-Mega @ Glalitite
Ability: Refrigerate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive / Naughty Nature
- Double-Edge
- Explosion
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Freeze Dry
If there's one thing mega glalie has, its sheer wallbreaking power. 120 attacking stats with refrigerate is nothing to sneeze at, especially paired with its access to high powered STAB moves in double edge and explosion. Glalie is absolutely lethal in carrying out its job of pressuring the tiers ice resists, and typically leaves a massive dents in all of them with its ridiculously powerful refrigerate boosted explosion and coverage. As it would seem, weavile really does appreciate ice resists being dented, and can demolish a good portion of them after some prior damage from glalie. This is probably one of the better ways to use glalie in ou seeing as there are simply better mons for pressuring ground and grass types as it stands. Typespam lets it do its job in nuking, and paving the way for something with similar checks and counters to sweep. I put hp fire glalie here so you do a better job of pressuring mega scizor, but freeze dry is an option to put more stress on teams with bulky waters.

Diggersby @ Life Orb
Ability: Huge Power
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack
- Swords Dance

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Memento
- Roost/Defog

Diggersby is an insanely strong physical attacker who can effectively wallbreak or sweep the opposing team since after a Swords Dance, it 1hkoes alot of bulky walls (and this may depend on Diggersby's nature, hence why Adamant slashed first but Jolly is viable to outspeed Heatran and the likes of Jolly Breloom) such as Mega Sableye, Chansey, Hippowdon, Slowbro, Garchomp, Landorus-T with Return or Earthquake and Quick Attack beats alot of frail pokemon after a SD boost and some of these KOs are only achieved with hazard support. However, Diggersby's bulk is pretty bad and doesn't find many opportunities to setup so that's where Memento Latios comes, it is a special wallbreaker that also plays a supportive role, it checks Keldeo, one of the scariest pokemon for Diggersby to face, Draco Meteor is a very strong move that beats alot of physical walls and this specific set has the move Memento so it can sacrifice itself to massively weaken an opponent so Diggersby can freely setup on it, either taking low damage from that foe or forcing it out and potentially scoring a 1HKO on it after a Swords Dance boost.

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish
- Recover

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Scrappy
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Ice Punch
- Fake Out

Standard core , basically when Mega lop get status like burn or para or is low on HP latias can heal him up with healing wish also latias can switch into many of the mon that are fighting scarfer like keldeo and terrackion that try to revenge kill lopunny also M- lopunny can latias with the steel it cant do very well agaisnt like heatran ferro etc, also M-lopunny resisting dark bug and ghost 3 type latias is weak to is also very nice there really isny much else to say about this very effective standard core.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)